EBgames: Indiana Jones- Fate of Atlantis for Wii $20 NEW

poiuiu

CAGiversary!
Technically the name on the box is Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, but everyone who cares knows the real reason to get this is the port of the all but extinct PC adventure game Fate of Atlantis that's only found in the Wii version.

Really, even LucasArts know this is the real reason to grab this Wii game because the code to unlock Fate of Atlantis is in the extra manual that's the 'Gamestop exclusive'.
Which btw is holding -Z-, then A-U-U-B-D-D-L-R-L-B at the title screen.
Otherwise, you can easily unlock Fate of Atlantis just by beating the first level or something stupidly easy.

I was surprised to see this considering it was released recently, iirc.

Just saw them review this on Reviews on the Run last night... I thought Victor Lucas was going to punch me through the screen he hated it so much. But his one positive was Fate of Atlantis!

Funny! I just watched a review on this game today. It was by the Wiiviewer. Sadly, no Lil' Wiiviewer sidekick stylings this time around. I don't know if he convinced me, but this price IS pretty good, even if the game isn't exactly a blockbuster.

you can also get Fate of Atlantis anywhere on the internet for free because it's
Abandonware. you can run it using the SCUMM engine. that's how i play all the
Lucasarts games (Sam & Max, Day Of The Tentacle, Monkey Island series) on my PC anytime free.

http://www.scummvm.org/

@poiuiu:

Thanks for the tip! Hot price for a nearly new game even if gameplay isn't that hot. This is one I'm considering because I really like the license, already have low expectations, and would really enjoy Fate of Atlantis. $20 sounds just about right, and if there are any used $15 copies that would be even better!
:D

[quote name='j940651']you can also get Fate of Atlantis anywhere on the internet for free because it's Abandonware. ...[/QUOTE]

See, herein lies the problem with pirating games because "they're not available and nobody cares". I'm pretty sure that LucasArts doesn't consider Fate of Atlantis abandonware since they are actively selling it right now... so downloading it and playing for free is pretty much pirating.

If that's how you want to roll, so be it. But the Abandonware label doesn't really mean much unless that rights to the game have gone into public domain.

Edited: Changed "stealing" to "pirating".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I side with ejamer with this one. Like with VC renewing Nintendo's rights to their old games, the fact that LucasArts not only acknowledges Fate of Atlantis' existence but is also technically selling the game to the public (in two forms, which is the first I've learned of this), means it's not abandonware and downloading it anywhere except Steam is considered pirating the game.

However I have nothing against Scummvm and actually embrace it but for something like Fate of Atlantis, and pnc adventure games actually, I want more of them made.

Hey guys, I got FoA on the SCUMM emulator. It's free and amazing. Awesome. And didn't know it was on Steam... hmm... for $20 I might bite, just so I can put in that amazing FoA cover someone made for it on neoGAF.

Yeah I was actually surprised when I saw the price on this game at EB today. Then I remembered the reviews were horrible, so I passed.

[quote name='ejamer']@poiuiu:

Thanks for the tip! Hot price for a nearly new game even if gameplay isn't that hot. This is one I'm considering because I really like the license, already have low expectations, and would really enjoy Fate of Atlantis. $20 sounds just about right, and if there are any used $15 copies that would be even better!
:D

See, herein lies the problem with pirating games because "they're not available and nobody cares". I'm pretty sure that LucasArts doesn't consider Fate of Atlantis abandonware since they are actively selling it right now... so downloading it and playing for free is pretty much stealing.

If that's how you want to roll, so be it. But the Abandonware label doesn't really mean much unless that rights to the game have gone into public domain.[/QUOTE]

but they're NOT selling it. it's UNLOCKABLE.
it's been about 14 years since you could BUY FoA legitimately.
i downloaded it from an official ABANDONWARE site in that window.
i'm not going back and deleting it off my HD because someone says it's
worth $5.00 now. don't be absurd.
and Steam isn't really "selling" it at a $5.00 price point.
that's giving it away. they're charging you for bandwidth and their time.
if someone isn't selling something - it's abandonware.
i'm supposed to pay for it 17 years after it's release?
here's how i "want to roll":

if a game is powered by DOS...
i'm not frickin' paying for it.

[quote name='j940651']but they're NOT selling it. it's UNLOCKABLE.
it's been about 14 years since you could BUY FoA legitimately.
i downloaded it from an official ABANDONWARE site in that window.
i'm not going back and deleting it off my HD because someone says it's
worth $5.00 now. don't be absurd.
and Steam isn't really "selling" it at a $5.00 price point.
that's giving it away. they're charging you for bandwidth and their time.
if someone isn't selling something - it's abandonware.
i'm supposed to pay for it 17 years after it's release?
here's how i "want to roll":

if a game is powered by DOS...
i'm not frickin' paying for it.[/QUOTE]

"Copyright law does not recognize the term or concept of "abandonware". There is a long held concept of abandonment in trademark law as a direct result of the infinite term of trademark protection. Currently, a copyright can be released into the public domain if the owner clearly does so in writing; however this formal process is not considered abandoning, but rather releasing. Those who do not own a copyright cannot merely claim the copyright abandoned and start using protected works without permission of the copyright holder, who could then seek legal remedy."

Where does your logic end?
If a book was written on a typewriter, I'm not frickin' paying for it.
If an album was recorded on a 4 track, I'm not frickin' paying for it.
If a movie was shot using film instead of digitally, i'm not frickin' paying for it.

The fact is Lucasarts owns the copyright to FoA and they have made the game available in Steam and as a bonus on the Staff of Kings disc. Use an emulator all day long, i don't care one way or the other, just acknowledge that what you are doing is in fact illegal. ;)

[quote name='j940651']but they're NOT selling it. ...[/QUOTE]

Wow. How can you argue logic like that? LOL
:applause:
Standing ovation for what is the absolute worst list of justifications for piracy that I've ever seen collected into one post.

It's not worth arguing about here, but for people who prefer to own the game legitimately there are other options than downloading online. Also, the fanmade Fate of Atlantis boxart that you can print out for your Wii game is pretty sweet!

Replacement cover: http://www.modelforge.com/misc/indy_cover.jpg

[quote name='j940651']but they're NOT selling it.[/QUOTE]

Okay, ignoring most of the silly things you've said: this is just blatantly false. As mentioned above the are selling it, right now, for five dollars on Steam.

[quote name='webrunner']Okay, ignoring most of the silly things you've said: this is just blatantly false. As mentioned above the are selling it, right now, for five dollars on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Didnt even read my post did you?

Let's ask the designer behind many of the fine classics I've archived for my personal use:

(Gamespot) turned to the wacky Tim Schafer of Double Fine Productions, who is responsible for many beloved adventure games, including Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle.

"Is it piracy? Yeah, sure. But so what?"

Surprised to hear this from someone who makes his living by selling games? Schafer clarifies: "Most of the game makers aren't living off the revenue from those old games anymore. Most of the creative teams behind all those games have long since left the companies that published them, so there's no way the people who deserve to are still making royalties off them. So go ahead--steal this game! Spread the love!" Schafer says he enjoys knowing people are downloading the old games. "They may look rinky-dink by today's standards, but that doesn't mean they didn't take a hell of a lot of work to make, so it's nice to think that somebody may still be enjoying them. [Old games are] like old, beat-up teddy bears with one eye missing and the stuffing coming out. I can't speak for the rest of the industry, but personally, I'd rather my old games were stolen and played for free than forgotten about."

Wow a world famous game designer said that?! What about the so called copyright "enforcers" the ISDA?
What do they have to say when contacted by the webmaster of the largest Abandonware website on the net?

As for the conflict between the IDSA and Home of the Underdogs, Achavanuntakul recalls that the IDSA contacted her, demanding that she remove their members' copyrighted games. "I asked the IDSA to help be a conduit between myself and their members and asked for some clarifications on the copyrights of some games, but I never got any response," says Achavanuntakul.

Hmmmmmm..... you think maybe the ISDA recognizes the millions of dollars in free advertising is a GOOD thing for their outdated business model?

"If you look at other forms of entertainment, you will see that they are being very well preserved. We have Project Gutenberg for books, numerous archives for movies, and even efforts to preserve the Web itself. "Games, like electronic media, face a much greater threat of disappearing--books can be reprinted infinitely, and movies and music can be stored and transferred seamlessly as we move from, say, LPs to cassettes, to CDs, and now MP3--but old games and software in general don't have that advantage. How many computers nowadays, for example, even ship with a 5.25-inch drive? How many Windows machines can run DOS games?

"You don't have to wait 75 years for copyrights to expire to run them--even 10 years is enough to make many games obsolete. I have a team of fellow enthusiasts who even 'crack' self-booting 5.25-inch games so that they can run on new Pentium computers, and there is a lot of effort being made by programmers, working without pay in their free time, to create a DOS emulator for new versions of Windows to run old DOS games.

"What are we doing this for? Why are we risking our necks doing something that we could be sued for, like copyright infringement?" Achavanuntakul says it's her hope that one day the companies will appreciate the efforts that she and her fellow abandonware webmasters are making--that they'll look beyond the legal issue and become interested enough to help.

"It's their creations we are trying to preserve, after all."

Ok so maybe it is piracy but the makers and enforcers don't seem to care. But we care dammit!
So how much of the $5.00 Steam is taking in goes to the designers and developers of FoA?
I need to know how much to make the cheque out for.

Schafer doesn't work for Lucasarts anymore....of course he doesn't care if the game is pirated. Ask him next month if he cares about copies of Brutal Legend being sold in Chinatown for $10 a piece.

Any money he made on Fate of Atlantis was almost 20 years ago. Lucasarts is the one who suffers from the piracy now.

Try using "the factory worker who built the car told me he didn't care if i stole it from the dealership" excuse in court....it won't get you very far.

[quote name='j940651']Ok so maybe it is piracy but the makers and enforcers don't seem to care. But we care dammit!
So how much of the $5.00 Steam is taking in goes to the designers and developers of FoA?
I need to know how much to make the cheque out for.[/QUOTE]

The early statements sounded foolish, the latest sound like a braying ass.

If you really care about quality games (including classics that are getting re-released) but feel that paying a measly $5 to show your support is too hefty a price, then you get no sympathy from me.

----

What would make an interesting discussion is the increasing revival of retro games. Old movies aren't dropped and forgotten after 10 years, and neither is music (although the media format used to distribute those forms of entertainment does change over time). So why do some people think that it's ok to make illegal copies of software after a much shorter period of time?

I believe this is going to become a much bigger issue in the near future as more companies realize that gamers have a real desire to revisit many classic games from the past. With digital distribution making it possible to benefit from small scale sales and providing an almost-direct link between publishers and their target markets, the days of Underdogs seem numbered...

[quote name='ejamer']
If you really care about quality games (including classics that are getting re-released) but feel that paying a measly $5 to show your support is too hefty a price, then you get no sympathy from me.
[/QUOTE]

a) yes $5.00 is too much for a glorified piece of shareware from 17 years ago.
b) why would i want sympathy?
c) i think it's really noble and exemplary that you all have refrained probably for almost 2 decades now, from downloading an mp3 off a peer or private site or even ripping your own CDs. i'm impressed you've never taped a tv show and fast fowarded commercials too. i'm really proud you guys never taped a song off the radio. and let's not forget how you guys never once photocopied a page out of your textbooks. and how you never once had the radio on in your store or place of business is truly amazing.

what's that? you say you've DONE one of the things listed above and not paid a royalty???
well then you sir/madam are a hypocrite and are thumbing your nose at THE LAW.

and yah, they tend to go after people ripping off
RECENT music, tv, and print royalties over people privately enjoying a DOS program from 17 years ago.
i sleep sooooooundly at night. do you? :booty:

[quote name='j940651']a) yes $5.00 is too much for a glorified piece of shareware from 17 years ago.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think it's Nintendo that started this crap with it's Virtual Console service..

$5 for an NES game.. lol :applause:

[quote name='j940651']what's that? you say you've DONE one of the things listed above and not paid a royalty???
well then you sir/madam are a hypocrite and are thumbing your nose at THE LAW.
and yah, they tend to go after people ripping off
RECENT music, tv, and print royalties over people privately enjoying a DOS program from 17 years ago.
i sleep sooooooundly at night. do you? :booty:[/QUOTE]

Bwahahahaha... I know I should stop responding, but the increasing hilarity and stupidity of your arguments are just too enjoyable to let go.
:lol::lol:

You are right to judge sir, because I've actively listened to the radio more than once in the last 17 years. I've used a VCR on rare occasions. I've even (gasp!) photocopied individual pages of books I've purchased previously for personal use! God save my soul for such vile crimes... oh wait, those are all legal actions... unlike pirating software or music or other digital media. And guess what? I don't do that! So you are wrong on almost all points made yet again.

Dude, let me spell it out for you. I don't care if you pirate games. I know that many other people do the same thing. But please just stop with the ridiculous justifications (or don't if you want to look even more foolish).

Also, you might not want my sympathy... but I take my previous statement back. You're starting to earn it for entirely different reasons.

Bwahahahaha....

[quote name='ejamer']Bwahahahaha... I know I should stop responding, but the increasing hilarity and stupidity of your arguments are just too enjoyable to let go.

You are right to judge sir, because I've actively listened to the radio more than once in the last 17 years. I've used a VCR on rare occasions. I've even (gasp!) photocopied individual pages of books I've purchased previously for personal use! God save my soul for such vile crimes... oh wait, those are all legal actions... unlike pirating software or music or other digital media. And guess what? I don't do that! So you are wrong on almost all points made yet again.

Dude, let me spell it out for you. I don't care if you pirate games. I know that many other people do the same thing. But please just stop with the ridiculous justifications (or don't if you want to look even more foolish).

Also, you might not want my sympathy... but I take my previous statement back. You're starting to earn it for entirely different reasons.

Bwahahahaha....
:lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

U show ur ignorance. ill show u my diplomas. ill show u the names of copyright lawyers ive studied under, extensively. ill show u my texts and tests. mechanical licences cover photocopying and vcr reproduction. you dont have one. you havent studied law and youre being silly. youre a copyright violator like everyone else. having a high horse and a self righteous, holier than thou attitude doesnt make u any more right. im done taking virtual scoldings from hypocites. good day to you sir.,

[quote name='j940651']U show ur ignorance. ill show u my diplomas. ill show u the names of copyright lawyers ive studied under, extensively. ill show u my texts and tests. mechanical licences cover photocopying and vcr reproduction. you dont have one. you havent studied law and youre being silly. youre a copyright violator like everyone else. having a high horse and a self righteous, holier than thou attitude doesnt make u any more right. im done taking virtual scoldings from hypocites. good day to you sir.,[/QUOTE]

And I'll show you proper spelling, punctuation, and use of capital letters.

bread's done
Back