ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

I just got that thank you for renewing email. But I had done the cancellation through their new system already and it show on their site as such. They haven't charged anything yet though.

[quote name='xsouthparkx']So the guys name is Hal? What a douche.
I hope you read this Hal.[/QUOTE]
This has to be more than just a coincidence.

633716522386007510-hal9000.jpg

[quote name='grap3fruitman']This has to be more than just a coincidence.
[/QUOTE]

See my sig and one other guy's sig for more Hal 9000 jokes!

So much for canceling via their website button after the fix... just got a renewal notice in my emails. I'll tell my CC company to chargeback / block all charges.

(by the way, if a lot of people do chargebacks, Visa/MC will lay into them hard)

*just got off the phone with my card company. They said the charge wasn't posted yet, but if it is they will dispute it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kodave']
Who is at risk of being auto-renewed despite canceling?

• Anyone who canceled via "snail mail" - even if you received a cancellation letter and even if you cannot access your account on the ECA website
  • This is potentially several hundred ex-members, if not more, based on the number of people who canceled via the "CAGbox" or who reported canceling independently of the "CAGbox"
  • If your renewal date has passed or is approaching, be sure to keep an eye on your credit card statements
  • Even if your credit card number has changed or expired, or if your card has changed due to a change in bank ownership, it is still possible for the ECA to bill you again, and at least one ex-member has been billed under a newer card

[/QUOTE]

My case is a bit strange. I canceled through the snail mail method and I also canceled through the BBB. Not only that but I also used a prepaid gift card to sign up to the site that expired a month after I made the account.

Obviously I don't have that card anymore so I can't see if they get some crazy charge on it. How at risk would I be?

[quote name='ohram']My case is a bit strange. I canceled through the snail mail method and I also canceled through the BBB. Not only that but I also used a prepaid gift card to sign up to the site that expired a month after I made the account.

Obviously I don't have that card anymore so I can't see if they get some crazy charge on it. How at risk would I be?[/QUOTE]

If you've already used up the prepaid gift card, you should be fine. Can't get blood from a stone.

[quote name='ohram']My case is a bit strange. I canceled through the snail mail method and I also canceled through the BBB. Not only that but I also used a prepaid gift card to sign up to the site that expired a month after I made the account.

Obviously I don't have that card anymore so I can't see if they get some crazy charge on it. How at risk would I be?[/QUOTE]

Probably low risk, though I'd say your situation is probably the vast minority. It MIGHT be possible that they could use your address and try to track you down with a bill collector, however, I'm going to just straight up say the ECA won't do that. Chances are IF they try to auto-renew you, the number will bounce, no new card info will pop up, and that will be that.

[quote name='token2k6']yeah kodave, that was an excellent post, did you just neatly compile all the facts, or you got more inside info??[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I just compiled all the known information from this thread, although the steps to cancel were from my own experience. Like I said, I hope that info can be added to the OP, or if a mod wants me to I could create a new thread with that info and maintain it since I'm a fairly active around these parts.

cool, thanks strell, sign me up for a) signing up w/ free Game Informer code b) cancelling via CAGbox c) rec'd 3 newsletters from them d) got cancellation email e) haven't rec'd anything since and e) fuck-ing forgot which card I used to sign up, now will be on the lookout!!

WOW checked to see if i was able to cancel my account and i could which i did. But the thing caught me off guard was my info was edited with someone else name. Luckly the cc i used to create this account was a debit gift card. Finally got the e-mail confirming the cancellation which is good.

[quote name='Strell']Kodave: Check my post.

I was planning on updating it later tonight.[/QUOTE]

Don't take this the wrong way, but your post doesn't really answer any questions that keep popping up time and time again on just about every page. Even this history isn't that important at this point - either you remember you canceled by mail or you don't. The bottom line is there is a problem now if you mailed in a letter, and people need to know what to do about it.

There were, to my hazy recollection, something like 500 to 700 CAGs in that CAGbox - plus probably hundreds of individual letters, all of which are now potentially effected by this snafu. Individual reports of what is happening is important, but unless they've canceled, know how they canceled, and have been renewed or not renewed after their previously scheduled renewal date, things like "People who had memberships before entire dismal dance" "People who canceled via their own mailed in materials" "People who are canceling now via ECA site (based on posts in this thread)" and "People who canceled via CAGBox who are awaiting future ramifications" doesn't do anyone a lot of good unless their time for renewal has passed and they have or have not been charged again.

What the charging statements say though is helpful, so people know what to look for on their statements.

Again, I think the answers to the common questions just needs to be in the OP, and if the mods/Cheapy don't want to butcher the OP, then a new thread should be created so people can just get the most concise info in an easy to access one stop place.

I hate it when people are tactless. Especially when they are uninformed, and act like I didn't ask for the info to be put in the OP, and that it was there for a second, except I'm updating it so there's difficulty since a mod would have to copy and paste it each time, etc etc.

I'm sure glad I put that much time in trying to help. Christ.

I'm trying to nail down patterns who has canceled/what method they used/when they first signed up. For fucks sake. I think I've done a pretty good job on that front.

Finally decided to cancel via the website. Somehow even after they told me they'd refund my $15 for the PAX Prime discount last year, which they never did, I made it out with a $20 visa gift card. So thank you ECA for paying me $5 to join your site...where's my $15?

[quote name='kodave']That's something I just added to the post above - it is possible for them to renew your account even if your card numbers have changed, your card expired, or even if your bank is under new ownership and you have a new card - as you just experienced[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ddrlenz']Same here. I just got an email saying thanks for rejoining. F'ers. What a scam this is.[/QUOTE]

How the heck can they bill you without your new credit card numbers? :hot:

At any rate, I canceled through the website, not through mail, and on the site it says I'm canceled, etc...but I still got the "thanks for renewing" email :hot:

I'm sort of hoping I'm not REALLY renewed...

I canceled mine through free gmail holiday postcard, and my account is still inactive, so I lucked out on dealing with this bullcrap again.

Oh, Jabba the Hal, you just won CAG Villain of the Year recently, and it looks like you're right back into the running for it again for this year.

Fantastic.

jabbathehut1749957copy.jpg

[quote name='Squarehard']I canceled mine through free gmail holiday postcard, and my account is still inactive, so I lucked out on dealing with this bullcrap again.[/QUOTE]

You realize people that canceled with letters and are unable to login on the eca website have been billed?

Like many others, I just received an email thanking me for my renewal, even though my account is closed via CAGBox.

No charge yet.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How the heck can they bill you without your new credit card numbers? :hot:

[/QUOTE]

I work for a credit card company. Depending on how the new number is generated and the reason for it, it will just be carried over per the card issuer and their SOP/protocol for furthered transactions...partly, that has to do with merchant agreements. It's like a closed account, just because somebody closes an account doesn't mean that auto-billing charges (like a gym membership or ECA, etc...) will stop, the authorization that the merchant is given by the issuer states not only can the initial charge be posted/accepted, but it includes authorization for continued, subscribed charges as well, and that often supersedes many scenarios, like closing an account, etc...It depends on how the old account was closed and why it was closed, that will determine what happens when these ECA charges are attempted again. In the case of fraud, it does NOT supersede...the account is now compromised, that's above and beyond a legitimate "subscription service"...

That's not to say that any of this perpetual ECA BS is legit nor ethical, but if they're weaseling out of cancellations or putting charges through via new account numbers, that could be how they're making it happen, exploiting the way credit cards work.

The best way to handle it is to state to the card company/bank that a shady merchant (true story) has the card information and you have proof (the email, etc..) that they are not to be charging it again but much evidence has shown they will anyways. ECA's practices are basically illegal for all intents and purposes, it is committing fraud, no different than if a grocery store clerk wrote down your info and rang up more stuff after you left the store. If it's an accident then? The scale of this catastrophe makes that a hard case to sell, but if so, it's a dispute then. It's an unauthorized transaction that you have rightfully and officially canceled out of and invalidated. Reporting the account compromised (again, true story) is in the bank's best interests too, as much of the time the bank could just be writing off losses, they don't want that anymore than you want to unjustly pay $20. They'll gladly shut down a compromised line of credit and issue a new account in its place.

If it's already posted, you can either dispute the charge (for example, VISA has dispute regulations/policies, regardless of the bank) if it's already gone through or again claim fraud on the account and it will still be addressed accordingly. Technically it should be classified as a dispute if it's already posted, but who the hell knows if this sh*t will happen again in 2011, so it could be a security risk too.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm wow... I was wondering what brought this thread alive again and clicked... and then immediately checked my emails.

At first I was relieved as I didn't see any... then I looked at the spam folder...

---

"Thank you, because we are thrilled that you have chosen to renew your membership with the Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA) "

Then I searched my inbox.

"
Thank you for being a member of the Entertainment Consumers Association. Your membership has been canceled.

We are sorry to see you go and thank you for your business.

This email notification is confirmation that your request has been processed and your membership has been canceled, effective today, January 27, 2010

We wish that you will choose to rejoin The ECA soon. If you wish to re-join the association going forward new/updated payment information will need to be manually re-entered."

I must've "manually" re-enter my payment info in my sleep!

Kind of hard not to think of them as shady... or completely incompetent.

Sorry... I haven't read all the relevant posts regarding the auto renewal... catching up now... but yeah, it is not just ppl who cancelled via snail mail as I cancelled via the web.

[quote name='GlassAgate']Any there any word if there will be the 10% Amazon discount again?[/QUOTE]

LMAO, is this a joke? Did you really just post that? Did I go crazy and I'm seeing fake posts in my head?

[quote name='Vortextk']LMAO, is this a joke? Did you really just post that? Did I go crazy and I'm seeing fake posts in my head?[/QUOTE]
You crazy mister, you crazy! :whee:

Well...Add me to the list of people scammed. Received cancellation confirmation email in December, and now received the "Thank You" email from the The ECA. Thank you ECA, I appreciate it!

I also received the thank you renewal letter, yet i cancelled on the site when the button became available. this is fucking bullshit.

Just got the renewal e-mail as well, even though I signed up on 4/20/09. There's no charge on my card yet... and I better not see one.

Has anyone who got the thank you for renewing email actually been charged, or does their account reflect a new end date to their membership. Seems like it might just be yet another mistake. I don't think any one that actually was charged mentioned receiving that email. Also, no one mentioned receiving a 30 day warning email about their account expiring.

It is important to follow up on that renewal email, because even if they don't have your credit card info they can send you a bill. I don't think that's what they are trying to do though. I think it's most likely just an errant email, but better safe than sorry

Thanks for the heads up guys, just canceled through their website. My membership wasn't set to expire till 9/26, so hopefully all this will be a non-issue by then.

Pretty tricky cancellation process where every step of the way they are doing everything to make sure you are still a member......without you realizing it. Pretty shady company in my book. Anyone who is truly concerned....it may be alot of work changing other accounts but go ahead and call your cc company and have them close out your current account and open a new one. Better to do that then have this rip off company bilk people out of thousands of dollars. I went through the cancellation process however they do not have a current cc number that is good anyway on file so I am not worried about it.

I cancelled last November but never got an email and have never been able to access my account since. also, I emailed them several times to confirm my cancelation and they never respond. what am I supposed to do ?

[quote name='lllGurulll']I cancelled last November but never got an email and have never been able to access my account since. also, I emailed them several times to confirm my cancelation and they never respond. what am I supposed to do ?[/QUOTE]

You're supposed to wait, and get more angered.

I love that the ECA is such a piece of shit contradiction....And yet they still have so many thoughtless followers.

[quote name='thehoweller']You're supposed to wait, and get more angered.

I love that the ECA is such a piece of shit contradiction....And yet they still have so many thoughtless followers.[/QUOTE]
that really doesn't help with my question.

People who canceled via CAGBox who are awaiting future ramifications

i qualify for this , i also sent a google postcard. i dont remember when exactly i signed up, but i know it was after all the amazon codes were gone for good, so it was later then most.

[quote name='lilboo']fuck

I just got charged $19.99
I have an e-mail from Dec 18, 2009 still saved when my membership was canceled.

EVERYONE WHO CANCELED PLEASE CHECK. Ugh, sick of these cock sucking crooks!!!!![/QUOTE]
At least you received a cancelation email from them. I never got one and they won't respond to ?ANY of my emails requesting one. I also cannot access the site under my username or password at all because it has been "blocked or canceled" according to them.

Without that cancelation email I have no way of proving to my CC company that it was canceled at all. I am getting sick of this crap.

[quote name='lllGurulll']At least you received a cancelation email from them. I never got one and they won't respond to ?ANY of my emails requesting one. I also cannot access the site under my username or password at all because it has been "blocked or canceled" according to them.

Without that cancelation email I have no way of proving to my CC company that it was canceled at all. I am getting sick of this crap.[/QUOTE]

Actually you do ... first, save all of the emails you sent requesting confirmation of cancellation. It helps, but is also not required.

Secondly, and more importantly, confirmation from them or no, you currently do not have access to your account. As such, you can still dispute any charge based upon the non-delivery of the service for which you paid.

[quote name='Siterath']Actually you do ... first, save all of the emails you sent requesting confirmation of cancellation. It helps, but is also not required.

Secondly, and more importantly, confirmation from them or no, you currently do not have access to your account. As such, you can still dispute any charge based upon the non-delivery of the service for which you paid.[/QUOTE]
That is just it, I have no emails for proof because you have to do it through their website. their return email is just a canned response that says nothing about canceling your membership. I have been hounding them since January for confirmation of my cancelation and they refuse to respond to me.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How the heck can they bill you without your new credit card numbers? :hot:

At any rate, I canceled through the website, not through mail, and on the site it says I'm canceled, etc...but I still got the "thanks for renewing" email :hot:

I'm sort of hoping I'm not REALLY renewed...[/QUOTE]

Just to verify, you canceled through their new web interface that went up after the whole letter debacle? And you did not send in any kind of snail mail to them prior to canceling on the website? Yet you still got a "Thanks for renewing" email? When was your renewal date supposed to be? This could change everything.

[quote name='rcavictor1956']Pretty tricky cancellation process where every step of the way they are doing everything to make sure you are still a member......without you realizing it. Pretty shady company in my book. Anyone who is truly concerned....it may be alot of work changing other accounts but go ahead and call your cc company and have them close out your current account and open a new one. Better to do that then have this rip off company bilk people out of thousands of dollars. I went through the cancellation process however they do not have a current cc number that is good anyway on file so I am not worried about it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but like I said, don't just call them up and "close" the account, that won't prevent subscription-style charges like memberships and auto-renewing transactions (netflix, Xbox Live, etc..)...The CC company not only allows the initial charge to go through, but this type of approval allows indefinite, recurring charges as well. The onus is on the consumer to cancel via the merchants methods, however in this case, obviously, that has turned into a sh*tstorm. As such, disputing or claiming a compromised card will be a better method to "shut down" the account and halt ECA charges.

For those interested, I disabled auto-renewal using the web interface only (not by mail in any way) and my anniversary date was April 20th. I have not received any communication from ECA at all and have not been charged (the credit card I used to signup is no longer valid anyway). I can still login, but cannot access the members benefits area. Also, on some pages I get this error:
warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/crestgroup/theeca/wwwroot/sites/all/themes/theeca/page.tpl.php on line 496.

Interested to see how Hal attempts to spin this.

[quote name='Lucian']For those interested, I disabled auto-renewal using the web interface only (not by mail in any way) and my anniversary date was April 20th. I have not received any communication from ECA at all and have not been charged (the credit card I used to signup is no longer valid anyway). I can still login, but cannot access the members benefits area. Also, on some pages I get this error:

Interested to see how Hal attempts to spin this.[/QUOTE]

I can still access the members benefits area with no problems.

Still a member. Won't be canceling until a day before my anniversary date (sometime in Sept), and just to be safe I have auto renew to OFF

[quote name='token2k6']just really quick, someone refresh my memory, what month was it that we all signed up w/ the free Game Informer code??[/QUOTE]

Based on searches I would say the earliest this popped up was early September.

I just cancelled my membership, but i haven't gotten any cancellation email yet. But I'm going to keep an eye on my credit card statement when my renewal is up in Sept. to see if they charge me.

[quote name='caltab']Has anyone who got the thank you for renewing email actually been charged, or does their account reflect a new end date to their membership. Seems like it might just be yet another mistake. I don't think any one that actually was charged mentioned receiving that email. Also, no one mentioned receiving a 30 day warning email about their account expiring.

It is important to follow up on that renewal email, because even if they don't have your credit card info they can send you a bill. I don't think that's what they are trying to do though. I think it's most likely just an errant email, but better safe than sorry[/QUOTE]

I was the second person who reported being charged and I *DID* receive the Thank you for renewing email. The email is in my SPAM box on 4/24...the charge posted 4/21.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Is it possible to call the credit card company and have them block any charges from a particular source ahead of time?[/QUOTE]

Some might be able to do this, but typically, it isn't possible to keep an account open to all transactions except for one merchant unless you want to manually dispute each and every charge that that merchant puts through (which I suppose you could do if it's less hassle to do than to close off the account entirely due to fraud, you have to make that decision depending on how you use the account). Disputes are initiated after the fact, and what you want to do (blocking a specific merchant/vendor) is preemptive in nature. The only preemptive course of action is claiming a compromised/fraud account, in which case all charges are blocked, ordinarily. But as I said, some card issuers MAY be able to be more calculated in how they handle it, most won't though.

[quote name='kodave']Just to verify, you canceled through their new web interface that went up after the whole letter debacle? And you did not send in any kind of snail mail to them prior to canceling on the website? Yet you still got a "Thanks for renewing" email? When was your renewal date supposed to be? This could change everything.[/QUOTE]

I'm in that same boat. I never sent a snail mail letter and cancelled through the website when it finally became available to do so, but still received a thank you renewal letter. I can't login to the site anymore and haven't been since I've cancelled.

bread's done
Back