ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

[quote name='shrike4242']And the fun just keeps on coming via PMs:

Why I get to be the mouthpiece for their foolishness, I'll never understand. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]
Refund checks? WTF? They can take your money via credit card but not give it back?

Wow.

ECA wants to charge you for life. $20x50 more years, $1000, they'll just continue to email you newsletters as your only membership benefit. But the newsletters will just be reprints from the time the company still had a headquarters.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Alright, I just managed to turn off the Auto Renew and cancel my membership. Does anyone know how to cancel the newsletters as well aside from e-mailing them directly and asking to be removed? I'm seeing that some people are still receiving them (and I've no interest in still getting them). I don't see anything on their site either.[/QUOTE]

Check the bottom of the email. There is a link.

Thanks. I've never even bothered reading ONE of their e-mails so I didn't know about the link to unsubscribe to their newsletter. I don't get many myself, and the ones I do get I get because I want them. :lol:

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Refund checks? WTF? They can take your money via credit card but not give it back?

Wow.[/QUOTE]

Maybe those affected should send the ECA bills for interest on the $20 taken for them, billed for the period between the fraudulent billing and receipt of the refund check.

I still say initiate a chargeback. The ECA has admitted the charge was unauthorized, so there should be (theoretically) no dispute from them in the chargeback process anymore.

[quote name='Siterath']Maybe those affected should send the ECA bills for interest on the $20 taken for them, billed for the period between the fraudulent billing and receipt of the refund check.

I still say initiate a chargeback. The ECA has admitted the charge was unauthorized, so there should be (theoretically) no dispute from them in the chargeback process anymore.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

Now they are even MORE shady than before. If they filed an unauthorized charge to your account....you should receive a refund to that card...NOT a fucking check that will take weeks upon weeks to arrive...meanwhile these fucking thieves are collecting interest on the money they are stealing.

I'm telling you people...this should end in a class-action lawsuit. It's the only thing these fucking people will understand....when it hits THEM hard in the pocketbook.

Yeah, this company is run by the neanderthals. Refund checks for credit card charges. They can reverse the charges if they wanted. Obviously they still have your card info, otherwise they wouldn't have charged them. Even the crappiest mom and pop store can reverse charges. Lame.

Chargebacks seem to make the most sense.

Where the fuck is my email apologizing for charging my card? Apparently they know the supposedly 24ish people who were charged so why is my inbox empty of emails from them? Where the fuck is their communication to ME? Why am I reading PMs on this site from their forums that I cannot access talking about refund checks and other bullshit? I know I'm asking rhetorical questions but I'm pissed off.

I initiated the chargeback immediately but I had to get a new card issued because of this so I don't have access to my funds unless I physically go inside the bank. fuck these assholes.

I got lucky. My credit card expired so I have a new number and new expiration date. They were unable to charge me, but I went through the process to ensure my account does not auto-renew. My thanks to all of the OPs for posting this helpful information!

I call BS on only "24 people affected" ... Maybe only 24 people have been wrongfully billed so far, but I'd bet EVERYONE who canceled by snail mail was at risk for wrongful re-billing.

I'd encourage everyone just to chargeback chargeback chargeback! That's what chargebacks are for!

This refund check stuff is pure nonsense.

[quote name='The ECA']After being notified by a former ECA member of an incorrect membership dues charge last Friday, our Accounting Department examined the database to confirm that his credit card information was removed, as requested. They determined that his financial information was indeed deleted. Upon further inspection by our IT Department, it was found that a back-end database which exists to communicate between the servers, gateway and banks, was not updated with the deleted fields. As a result, roughly less than 24 ex-members may or may not have been affected similarly. We immediately rectified the synching issue between databases and are currently processing refund checks for the affected former members. If anyone has further questions regarding their account, please use the ECA Feedback form here: http://www.theeca.com/feed_back

-The ECA[/QUOTE]

This is unbelievably disturbing. The ECA, right here, is indicating an unbelievably irresponsible approach to handling confidential member credit card information. The server in question apparently exists to facilitate financial transactions and is not a simple membership list that they're required to keep. And they refer to "deleted fields", not deleting members entirely.

So we wind up with two seperate but equally confusing mistakes on the ECA's part: First their apparent failure to turn off the auto-renew flag on members who canceled last December (since accidentally keeping the CCs around only mattered when they decided to auto-bill), and then their apparent failure to notice for something like five months that a massive financial information update had not replicated out to the database actually responsible for processing payments. Twenty four people is low, but the bulk of cancellations probably weren't up for renewal yet. I paid pre-GI code, and I'm still two months from the hypothetical renewal date.

Shady history aside, this is not a group of people who should be trusted with credit card data. Chargebacks do seem warranted in this case, since nothing in their explanation indicates this couldn't happen to people who cancel next week or next month. Anyone who canceled in December is probably fine, but there's no indication of the type of process review necessary to make sure this doesn't happen again.

[quote name='Vegan']Should be entertaining when the checks bounce.[/QUOTE]

Oh man. lol. :applause:

I wouldn't doubt it!

But who cares if they don't delete your confidential information when they tell you they're going to. They fight for our rights as gamers! *cough*

They probably had to come up with rent money because Hal spent it all on strippers and Doritos again. So they charge 24 random people, pay off their rent, and then say "Sorry, we're sending you a check...as soon as we have enough cash to cover it."

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Exactly!

Now they are even MORE shady than before. If they filed an unauthorized charge to your account....you should receive a refund to that card...NOT a fucking check that will take weeks upon weeks to arrive...meanwhile these fucking thieves are collecting interest on the money they are stealing.

I'm telling you people...this should end in a class-action lawsuit. It's the only thing these fucking people will understand....when it hits THEM hard in the pocketbook.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to think the same. This company's methods are so fucking outdated, to claim they're an "electronics" advocacy group is a god damned contradiction.

Charge the fuckers back after they confirm that your check's in the mail. They'll probably send it by horse though.

[quote name='confoosious']Exactly. I mean, if all you have to worry about in life is how to get through the next chapter of Bioshock and your mom has tons of cheesy poofs waiting for you, it might not be a big deal.
[/QUOTE]

We're out of cheezy poofs now, so life is getting very stressful. I've now decided to start a class action lawsuit against the cheezy poofs manufacturer for not delivering their scheduled shipment of poofs on time because it has caused me a great deal of mental anguish.

--

I see how this issue is stressful for people making ends meet; if your bank account has a low balance, and you're potentially dealing with random charges. But a class action lawsuit, "with" added stress payments seems stupidly ridiculous. However, that said, I am starting to understand why a lawsuit might be necessary in this case...But to also sue for damages, stop whining like Halpin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't imagine it was only 24, the odds are too great, I was one of them.
I never got a response to the message I sent asking my information to be deleted and the charge removed.
But looking today and my renewal order has been deleted, and it no longer shows I had paid to renew.
my CC was never successfully charged since the expiration date had changed
don't want this nonsense repeating next year

There probably those fake checks sent to you by used car dealers that entitle you to x dollars off towards future membership costs. Or if you deposit the check it automatically signs you up for the Eca and auto deducts the $ back out of your account lol.

[quote name='blissskr']There probably those fake checks sent to you by used car dealers that entitle you to x dollars off towards future membership costs. Or if you deposit the check it automatically signs you up for the Eca and auto deducts the $ back out of your account lol.[/QUOTE]

haha!

those checks are so sneaky because they look like rebate checks. Then before you know it, you've got a monthly bill. That sounds right up the ECA's alley.

[quote name='blissskr']There probably those fake checks sent to you by used car dealers that entitle you to x dollars off towards future membership costs. Or if you deposit the check it automatically signs you up for the Eca and auto deducts the $ back out of your account lol.[/QUOTE]

Good call. This sounds like the ECA we've come to know and love.

Yeah, so I went and tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. I emailed the ECA as soon as this news broke and I saw the $19.99 charge. I told them I'd give them 2 business days to refund my money and explain what happened. As of today, I haven't heard ANYTHING back from them.

That'll teach me to try and be reasonable. fuck these people. I'm calling my bank.

The only way the check solution is amiable is if its those giant oversized novelty checks, made out of bacon, delivered by a woman with huge boobs while wearing Skittles for clothes, and making suggestive comments about tasting the rainbow.

While the ECA sucks, you've got to admit the threads, posts, and pics that pop-up in result of their antics almost make the hassle worth it. Almost.

Every ECA thread ends up being my most visited thread.

EDIT: I'm now officially requesting a pic of Hal as the Geico caveman with the caption: "Consumer Advocacy.... so easy a caveman can do it."

(Inspired by Kelegacy's 'neanderthal' comment several posts up.)

caveman.jpg

[quote name='RobnessMonster']I sure as hell am serious - are you?! Listen, I try my very best to control my spending because I live on a fixed income and make it month to month, or more like week to week. If I get an extra 20 dollar charge on my account, that could affect my ability to put food on the table for a couple of days which is a big freakin' deal. I don't really deal with cash anymore so I rely mostly on my debit card for all my spending. The balance stays relatively low and I watch it like a hawk so I don't have to worry about any overdraft fees which could put me in the hole even deeper.

So, anyway, if a 20 dollar charge were to surprise me, just the amount of time to contest it (or even take the time to cancel card, wait for new one) is an inconvenience I don't really need right now when I live in the real world and have other crap to be worrying about. I'm not hitting you up for money so I don't see why you're so bothered that I take it very seriously when someone tries to take the little that I have without good reason. I'm sick and tired of the ECA for what they did to us the first time (I was unfortunately a full-paying member) and won't let them bend us over just like that. If you can lose the money, get bent, and still have a smile on your face - more power to you.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't mocking your monetary situation...Just the fact that people are so quick to jump on the bandwagon of suing the ECA for mental anguish. I could understand a lawsuit based on the fact that the ECA's a joke corporation and is sporadically, and illegitimately, taking money from our accounts.

[quote name='Josef']I'm still waiting for Ceiling Hal to make an appearance :lol:[/QUOTE]

I tried finding it but I forgot where it was :(

ECA continues to baffle me. Why can't someone, anyone in their office write a simple email apology to the "24" who were incorrectly billed? Pming a moderator on another website instead?

What?

Mailing out refund checks instead of issuing a refund?

Are we living in 1987?

I think the ECA staff truly have a shot at Sony corporate positions someday.

[quote name='thehoweller']I wasn't mocking your monetary situation...Just the fact that people are so quick to jump on the bandwagon of suing the ECA for mental anguish. I could understand a lawsuit based on the fact that the ECA's a joke corporation and is sporadically, and illegitimately, taking money from our accounts.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. In any event, I just want to make sure we direct our attention towards the person who is responsible for all of this, Hal Halpin, and not each other. I apologize for getting a little heated with my last post, by the way. I was a little upset at first because it seemed like you didn't appreciate how tight money is for some of us and how a random, fraudulent charge could throw our budgets out of whack. Now that we have an understanding, lets get back to the heart of the issue and that's how that rat-faced son of a b!tch is up to another one of his cons.

Who knows if it's really 24 people who were "accidentally" charged, but whatever the case may be, I know this for sure - it's one too many. At the very least, the ECA, along with that toolbox Hal Halpin, should have one of its cronies issue a formal apology to all those affected by the issue. Have they done anything of the sort? Not to my knowledge, which is clearly unacceptable for an organization that claims to be on the up-and-up. And the whole deal about mailing checks is just about as honky as Halpin's hair piece. Any unauthorized charges should be refunded immediately along with an apology of sorts. I'm not saying Halpin should surrender his first born or anything, but out of common courtesy, out of common decency, an apology is surely in order...dare I even say free membership? But after everything that's happened, people may want a free membership as much as they want testicular cancer with a side of severe rectal failure :bomb:

[quote name='Siterath']
I still say initiate a chargeback. The ECA has admitted the charge was unauthorized, so there should be (theoretically) no dispute from them in the chargeback process anymore.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, and given their inability to do anything right, do you really want to wait for a check with your misspelled name and incorrect amount on it? Charge it back ASAP. Furthermore, if many people chargeback (more than the "24" affected), the ECA might be hit with penalties.

Just sayin'.

Ok, I found my ECA images.

As requested, here is Ceiling Hal:

Fr3eJ.gif

Here is my response to Seth from ECA saying all the problems were coming from a few "rouge" members (not rogue members):

taXUe.gif

Here is my first creation:

SGn5e.gif

And here is a screengrab of ECA's forums after Chakan was banned for "penis spam":

zUeZ5.gif

I think that was all I had.

What a crappy company.

Given their track record, it will be even better when either, or both:

1) Someone hacks into their site and all of our account info is stolen, which sets up a huge shit storm asking how it's possible if our information was to be deleted.
2) They sell it to telemarketers.

I was auto-renewed. I remember turning off auto-renewal last December once it became official the Amazon promotion was gone for good, but until the other week I didn't know that feature didn't work. As soon as I saw the charge (charge showed up April 11) I e-mailed the ECA that day and simply got an auto-response, haven't heard from them since. I disputed it with Chase, we'll see how that goes down since I don't have any proof I cancelled.

While the auto-renewal feature not working back then makes me mad, what fucking pisses me off the most is here straight from their FAQ:
Once I join will my membership auto-renew?
Yes. At the time of your registration, you are asked to provide a major credit card so that on your anniversary date you can be automatically renewed for the following year as standard practice – not dissimilar to other membership organizations or major online gaming services. Nearing your anniversary date we remind you that your term is coming to an end so that you can take action to update your credit card information or cancel your membership.

I never got an e-mail in advance. I just discovered an e-mail thanking me for the renewal in my spam folder. my auto-renewal happened on the 11th, this e-mail was sent on the 24th. Motherfuckers.

fuck the ECA, fuck them up their stupid asses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still find it amazing that I've emailed them twice about my wrongful charge and have yet to hear anything from them. I have to read info on this website about their company.

So pathetic.

[quote name='ddrlenz']I still find it amazing that I've emailed them twice about my wrongful charge and have yet to hear anything from them. I have to read info on this website about their company.

So pathetic.[/QUOTE]

There are definitely more than fucking 24 people...There have to be.

fucking liars.

Well Holy fucking Shit....I *finally* got an email (a week later) from the ECA. Here it is:

Prentice,

We would like to apologize for the recent charge on your credit card. There was an error in our system and we will be refunding your money back. A check has been cut for the amount that was charged on your credit card. If you have any questions please let us know, again we apologize for the mistake on our behalf.

ECA

Valerie Marques

ECA-Marketing-

64 Danbury Road Wilton , CT 06897

(203) 761-6186

[email protected]

I thought perhaps they made a wording mistake in refund checks. Looks like the dumb fuckers are actually doing it.

Chargeback time, badlieut. Why should you have to waste your time going to the bank?

bread's done
Back