ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Gone for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

Current Status:

This promotion is no longer available

logo_eca.gif
Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Free memberships available - Use coupon code GIMAG to receive a full 1 year membership to the ECA

After you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Thanks to dallascowboys for the coupon code and Linkin Prime for the tidbit about your junk mail folder!

Complete list of discounts/benefits:
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - America's largest online retailer is exclusively offering ECA members 10% off all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com (software and some accessories/peripherals).
  • Astro Gaming Promo Code - Astro Gaming creates premium video gaming equipment for pro gamers, leagues and their lifestyles.
  • BringIt.com Promo Code -BringIt.com allows gamers from across the world to compete in 1v1, team challenges, as well as NCAA bracket style tournaments and win REAL CASH and Prizes. Promo code will give you 25% of your deposit matched.
  • Buy.com - $5 off of your purchase of $75(one time use)
  • Dawdle - Reduced commissions on sold items, 10.99% down from 11.99%
  • Direct2Drive.com - Download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases. Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - ECA members will receive a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • GameHQ - 10% off of all pre-played games with free shipping.
  • Good Old Games - A leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • MAINGEAR - Manufacturer of high end PCs. 5% discount on phone orders.
  • Maxmodz.com - Receive 12% off of your order. Expires 12/31/2009.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - Get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
  • ThinkGeek.com Promo Code - Promo code will give you $5 off of orders between $25 and $50, and $10 off of orders of more than $50. Expires 12/31/2009.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• America's Video Game Expo 2009 - 10% discount
  • GameX - 3$ off of a day pass, $9 off of a 3-day pass.
  • Infinite Bits Convention - 10% discount. Convention is 10/23 through 10/25.
  • NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission. Coming soon!
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

Quick Picks FAQ

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on. Modifying these orders is at your own risk, don't bother asking about them because no one has a definite answer for you.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per order. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available. There have been recent reports of these codes not auto-applying after cancelling an order so do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, if any part of your order has been fulfilled(i.e. shipped) the code will not be added back to your account after cancelling the remaining items in your order.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You cannot add anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

13. How do I cancel my recurring subscription to the ECA to avoid future charges?

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Sign in and click on your username
Select the View tab
Towards the bottom of the page, you will see a Recurring Fees table
Click cancel
Ignore the warning and click confirm

13. I can't find the codes, please help?!?!?!?!

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Click on "Visit Members Area"
ECA.jpg

Credit to slickkill77 for assistance with this FAQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
when i click the email eca send me it comes out as securtiy certificate expired/error, i clicked on it and the eca check out box comes out-to fill out my info-credit card number-is this normal for the last eca step-as i dont see the little lock security thing on the browser-would really like to join but dont want to put my credit card out there. anyone done this no prob recently?

appreciate any info

They have always had certificate errors, unfortunately. You should be able to generate a one-time use credit card from your card issuer if you are worried.

[quote name='jacknicklson']They have always had certificate errors, unfortunately. You should be able to generate a one-time use credit card from your card issuer if you are worried.[/QUOTE]

cool thanks for helping me out preciate it

Read back a few pages - Amazon programmers haven't figured out how to make codes that can't be exploited

It's going to be a while.

[quote name='kodave']Read back a few pages - Amazon programmers haven't figured out how to make codes that can't be exploited

It's going to be a while.[/QUOTE]

IMO, it's not that the programmers *can't* figure a way to prevent stacking... it's that it's not a priority for Amazon to give an additional 10% discount on game purchases... they have other money making things to spend their times fixing and/or improving.

Does anyone really think it's coming back, i.e. the Amazon 10% ECA discount in some form? Thanks to the stackers, all of us who paid for our memberships and barely got to use them are boned if not.*

*I got to use an Amazon code precisely once, and paid 20 bucks for the membership. I'm not real crazy about how they made the memberships free because then there was no downside to trying to run exploits or resell codes.

I like how I went to the ECA forums to raise shit but there wasn't a topic about the Amazon codes. They must've forbidden them.

While I can't really complain because I jumped on the free membership wagon, I feel for those of you (like Papageno) who actually earned these benefits.

This is annoying to come back to this thread thinking it might be up.. yet we get to read stupid posts instead.... complaining about it some more.

I'm sure it will be back... wait for it.

[quote name='crunchewy']I ended up with a few double-stacked ECA codes because I canceled a couple pre-orders. There was no option to remove the ECA code that ended up back in my account. The codes shouldn't have stacked, but they did. What was I suppose to do? Stop buying from amazon for what would now have been months, until they got around to fixing it? Did I happily use those double-stacked ECA discounts when I discovered it? Of course. If you're going to blame anyone, blame Amazon for the goofy way they set up their system, now requiring fixing.

In fact, the most excessive of exploiters just made it, finally, clear to Amazon that they had to fix their broken system, and apparently they are finally work on giving us permanent (1 year) codes. So perhaps you should be thanking them![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean seriously, was it even possible to do this on purpose? I discoved it by accident and didn't even understand what the hell was going on. I didn't know until a couple of days ago that when you cancelled an order, coupons went back on your account. I actually had no clue the codes were stacking. I just thought the discount was being doubled for some reason. Was I going to take advantage of a double discount once it appeared in my cart through no ill intent on my part? Hell yes, and so would anyone else. I personally think everyone bitching is just jealous, but that could just be me. I would say it's a VERY safe bet I've spent over 10 grand on amazon this year alone. I'm pretty sure they can afford a buck here or there, especially since they no longer offer the post order guarantee. The simple absence of that has cost me hundreds of dollars this year. And yeah, the fault is with amazon for not being able to code their discounts worth a damn. I suppose it's somehow my fault that on the B2G1 they applied the discount to the free item as well, right? It's not like this is a new issue folks. If they actually gave a shit, they would have fixed it by now. If anyone remembers back to fall 2006, when amazon had a promotion that if you bought 3 HD DVD or Blu Rays, you got a 10% off of that format for a year. Well, first off, a year became somewhere around 15 months. Secondly, it appled to both formats. Thirdly, it too applied to any free items in a B2G1. I just can't believe they can't figure out how to make their own system work. It's in their best interest to get the codes working again, certainly. For a while before the codes, I was buying most of my games (and, more importantly, points) from TRU/Best Buy. Since joining the ECA, I've only bought a couple of games NOT from amazon. Without the codes, it's back to TRU/BB, especially on the points (which I spend, on average, a couple hundred dollars a month on).

i was just wondering if i had cancel an order, where would i go to see if i got my eca promotional code back?

[quote name='kodave']Read back a few pages - Amazon programmers haven't figured out how to make codes that can't be exploited

It's going to be a while.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but there is something else going on here. They did figure this out well over a week ago when they expired the 'L' and '6' codes. All that was left working were the 'J' codes and no more stacking - problem solved. All they had to do was generate more 'J' codes for ECA and they could have been back in business (or, failing that, simply expire the 'J' codes as well and come up with a new batch and stick with it - as long as they don't change the codes around constantly they won't have stacking issues even with the current system in place). I posted about this LONG ago (and many pages and rants have come since then ;)). It is not a programming issue but something else - I have no idea what, but there has to be something.

Hey all, to maybe help put a little bit of pressure on Amazon to get something in gear, if you're holding out on purchasing something waiting for codes to return, or if you have been buying a lot more from Amazon (But possibly been holding back while codes are down), etc, can you email [email protected] with your story? (you can keep it fairly short but if ECA made a big difference in your purchasing decisions, if you moved to using Amazon solely, etc, that's good to know-- it doesn't have to be a big long email, just a few sentences-- but BE HONEST!)

(Note: please don't read anything into this, it's just an idea to put some pressure on Amazon to figure something out, if they see they're losing sales by not getting this worked out it might help light a fire)

Thanks!

[quote name='io']I'm sorry but there is something else going on here. They did figure this out well over a week ago when they expired the 'L' and '6' codes. All that was left working were the 'J' codes and no more stacking - problem solved. All they had to do was generate more 'J' codes for ECA and they could have been back in business (or, failing that, simply expire the 'J' codes as well and come up with a new batch and stick with it - as long as they don't change the codes around constantly they won't have stacking issues even with the current system in place). I posted about this LONG ago (and many pages and rants have come since then ;)). It is not a programming issue but something else - I have no idea what, but there has to be something.[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe they're going to match Best Buy's B2G1 so they're holding off on codes. And hell, at this rate, I wouldn't blame them for holding off on codes until after Black Friday. Because honestly - Amazon has the lowest prices around, tax free for most people, and the majority of video games by their nature qualify for free super saver shipping. And we all know Amazon is going to have the majority of the best deals for the Black Friday sales. No need for them to give us 10% off on top of all this goodness if they don't want to.

^^ Agreed, it is most likely something like this or just simply that it isn't a priority for Amazon as someone else posted last page I think. Or a combo of those two.

I know my orders have come to a grinding halt recently. It is only the combination of the 10% off and the trade-in program (and in particular it's promos like the unlimited $30 off game codes) that has made me shop at Amazon so much the last few months. Before that I ordered 1 or 2 things a year from them and I was not all that impressed with Black Friday last year. I think I got a few things then but nothing that I didn't find cheaper soon after anyway. For sure I'll be monitoring it this year because I still have a lot of credit left from trades a few months back. But otherwise, without the ECA discount I don't see much value in Amazon beyond the occasional DotD. I don't pay tax anyway so they didn't have much advantage over GS IMO before all this.

I've also noticed that there have been no video game Deal of the Days the last two days - or at least they aren't there right after midnight Pacific like usual. I don't know what's up with that.

[quote name='Halo05']I like how I went to the ECA forums to raise shit but there wasn't a topic about the Amazon codes. They must've forbidden them.

While I can't really complain because I jumped on the free membership wagon, I feel for those of you (like Papageno) who actually earned these benefits.[/QUOTE]

There are updates here and here. Funny, they send people here for answers to their questions.

UPDATE 10/20)For those concerned, Amazon wasn't at all concerned with all of our growth (more members = more customers), their issue was the stacking. Our guess is that they're having a hard time working out a solid one-time use code system that wouldn't have exploit issues.

Our IR Director, is trying to arrange a conference call so that we can better understand Amazon’s position and status. More as we know it…

[quote name='pete5883']There are updates here and here. Funny, they send people here for answers to their questions.[/QUOTE]

Haha.

I was right about them forbidding complaints. I suppose it's a dead horse at this point.

Oh well, barring GoW Collection, I'm about done with buying new games this year. Hopefully ECA codes will return in time for Splinter Cell Conviction.

I am kinda glad the codes are down for a little while. I bought 20+ games after paying for my ECA membership a couple weeks after it started. I got my money's worth many times over already. I need a break on my wallet and this helps as I haven't ordered from Amazon for weeks now.

eca could at least man up and go.... for all of our problems for the people who did pay the cash will be more then happy to extend those people a full year for free added onto your membership to make up for the troubles...

they are not even repsonding to emails anymore... when this first happened they said they would send me a prize pack for the troubles (not really expect much)

i has asked 3 times and never got an email back if they ever sent anything out

[quote name='io']
I've also noticed that there have been no video game Deal of the Days the last two days - or at least they aren't there right after midnight Pacific like usual. I don't know what's up with that.[/QUOTE]
They posted it really late yesterday (Tomb Raider: Underworld for PS2 for $10) and today's still isn't up yet.

Had pre-order coupons that expired at the end of this month, just had to go ahead and use them without the ECA code for Borderlands. Kind of sad, since I would've saved another $5.90.

So i cancelled one of my orders and it didn't go back into my account. I think it was a # code. It wasnt double stacked or anything. I want to cancel another order that has a J code in it but I dont want to lose it. I'm buying GTA episodes and MW2. Anyone know if J codes stay in your account and its just the # ones that dissapear? I dont want to lose that preorder if its just going to disappear.

[quote name='sleepy180']So i cancelled one of my orders and it didn't go back into my account. I think it was a # code. It wasnt double stacked or anything. I want to cancel another order that has a J code in it but I dont want to lose it. I'm buying GTA episodes and MW2. Anyone know if J codes stay in your account and its just the # ones that dissapear? I dont want to lose that preorder if its just going to disappear.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the "J" Code is still working. I just checked since I want to get Afrika but I also want to apply all the gift card credits towards it also (U2,MW2 and NSMB).

Just wanted to say thanks to CAG for the free ECA membership info. Despite Amazon codes not working now, I'm hoping theyll be back in the coming days - weeks. And when they do come back I'll be making FULL use of the ECA membership! DJ Hero, Uncharted 2, Batman and borderlands here I come! Hopefully Amazon will have some other deals on these I can combine with the ECA discount

Thanks CAG!

Yeah really wish ECA worked. I'm from New york so I have to pay taxes. Hope it comes back soon. I was on the forum reading the comments. I think one of the mods is getting frustrated that people keep asking when the codes will be back up.

[quote name='Lucian']They posted it really late yesterday (Tomb Raider: Underworld for PS2 for $10) and today's still isn't up yet.[/QUOTE]

They've been posting the DOTD between 11-12 EST lately (while still taking it down at 3EST). Random week, I know.

[quote name='yohsh']I think one of the mods is getting frustrated that people keep asking when the codes will be back up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, when you bribe people with a years worth of delicious candy for a year and then yank it out from under them without any indication of when it will be back, people have a fuckING RIGHT TO BE PISSED!! Especially since some of us paid for this shit.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Yeah, well, when you bribe people with a years worth of delicious candy for a year and then yank it out from under them without any indication of when it will be back, people have a fuckING RIGHT TO BE PISSED!! Especially since some of us paid for this shit.[/QUOTE]

Benefits were always subject to change though. Frustrating yes. But it's not like you've lost a natural or constitutional right here.

[quote name='slidecage']
they are not even repsonding to emails anymore... when this first happened they said they would send me a prize pack for the troubles (not really expect much)

i has asked 3 times and never got an email back if they ever sent anything out[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting on the t-shirt they promised me too. That was on September 16th. I've asked for an update a couple of times, and no response to me either.

I'm surprised these have been down for so long. Glad I preordered most of the games I wanted while they were still up but I wish they would come back for borderlands and dragon age.

Since I got in for free and haven't gotten to use this discount yet, I can't be mad about this. But I can't pretend I'm not checking this thread every day...

[quote name='TomJones4']The codes probably won't come back. After all the stacking abuse everyone did who the hell came blame them.[/QUOTE]

It's amazon's fault for making the codes stackable...what they should have did is give you a special thing with your amazon account so it would automatically take off the discount when purchasing a game with your account. No code entering BS, just happens automatically.

[quote name='svtcobrastang1984']It's amazon's fault for making the codes stackable...what they should have did is give you a special thing with your amazon account so it would automatically take off the discount when purchasing a game with your account. No code entering BS, just happens automatically.[/QUOTE]

No it's people's fault for abusing it. Your argument is like blaming a knife manufacturer for someone getting stabbed.

This is basically something from what I understand happened because people hoarded coupons and realized different batches could stack. It's a flaw that was in Amazon's system but it was people not being decent and trying to save a few extra bucks gaming a system that resulted in the stacking abuse. I'm actually annoyed with "stackers" because Amazon's customer support has been nothing short of incredible when it comes to price adjustments, etc. I emailed about a coupon today after already ordering and it was adjusted within 30 min. Hopefully they won't have to become more strict about this sort of thing because of some greedy customers.

Question to all I have some pre-ordered games that have the ECA discount and I did them with the free prime trial. I want to cancel the prime trial before the 30 days is over but how will this affect my future pre-orders who have the 2 day free prime delivery? Will it just make me pick a new order method or default back to 2 day but now have a fee or will it stay with free 2 day even though I wouldn't be a member anymore. Also, and most importantly would this event make me lose my discount on those future pre-orders somehow?

[quote name='genfuyung']I'm surprised these have been down for so long. Glad I preordered most of the games I wanted while they were still up but I wish they would come back for borderlands and dragon age.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? Im not suprised at all! We are in the busiest season of the year for video games, I am not suprised they are taking their time with something that gives gamers 10% off.

[quote name='mikeja72']I would imagine you're only eligible for 2 day shipping while an active member. I dont think you would lose any discounts though.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of changing it back to regular free super saving before I cancel my free prime trial so there wouldn't be a hiccup with my order. Has anyone canceled their order for free prime trial before and had future pre-orders with them? How were they affected?

That would probably be a good idea. Sorry haven't done it myself, I have prime til about this time next year, so I cant give you an answer anytime soon.

[quote name='svtcobrastang1984']It's amazon's fault for making the codes stackable...what they should have did is give you a special thing with your amazon account so it would automatically take off the discount when purchasing a game with your account. No code entering BS, just happens automatically.[/QUOTE]

It's not at all Amazon's fault. It's the fault of everyone who stacked the codes knowing full well it was wrong (many of them here). This is why we can't have nice things.

[quote name='3rdbass']I'm thinking of changing it back to regular free super saving before I cancel my free prime trial so there wouldn't be a hiccup with my order. Has anyone canceled their order for free prime trial before and had future pre-orders with them? How were they affected?[/QUOTE]

I would ride it out and see what happens. In my mind it seems like you would be able to keep your free 2-day shipping because regardless of your current status, you made the order when you did have Prime. I don't see why anything (shipping type and cost of shipping) would change. But that's just me. :whee:

it wouldn't surprise me if the Amazon benefit is gone for good, and that all this lip service from ECA was just delaying the inevitable. Have we heard anything from the Amazon camp on this?

[quote name='dsimmelink']I would ride it out and see what happens. In my mind it seems like you would be able to keep your free 2-day shipping because regardless of your current status, you made the order when you did have Prime. I don't see why anything (shipping type and cost of shipping) would change. But that's just me. :whee:[/QUOTE]

Well I guess the worst that could happen is that they would charge me for the 2 day shipping since I'm not a prime member anymore in that event I would just switch to regular FSSS. Is Amazon getting faster in shipping games this way as I got from another account FIFA10 yesterday which is only 2 days after release. I see they are now shipping games a day before actual release so I guess that is a reason for it. I normally use to get games 7 days after release with FSSS. Even my free prime account 2 day shipping I got orders 1 after release. So Amazon is really on the ball now.

So is this just officially dead now? It's been basically the whole month, right?

They need to TELL US, because I've been sitting not ordering stuff since LAST MONTH (and some of it I've bought from Toys R Us instead). I'd go ahead and order or not if I knew they were really gone forever.

The ECA's been completely silent on this for weeks now, right? Just a claim that "They'll be back Friday or Monday!" two weeks ago?

[quote name='3rdbass']Well I guess the worst that could happen is that they would charge me for the 2 day shipping since I'm not a prime member anymore in that event I would just switch to regular FSSS. Is Amazon getting faster in shipping games this way as I got from another account FIFA10 yesterday which is only 2 days after release. I see they are now shipping games a day before actual release so I guess that is a reason for it. I normally use to get games 7 days after release with FSSS. Even my free prime account 2 day shipping I got orders 1 after release. So Amazon is really on the ball now.[/QUOTE]

don't worry, any order or pre order you make under the prime trial still keeps the same shipping even after the trial expires

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back