Echochrome

KaiserWAVE

CAGiversary!
Echochrome was one of the things from Sony's E3 conference that looked like it could be a lot of fun. It's coming for PSN and PSP.

Echochrome is a puzzle game with minimalistoc graphics. It's a bit like Crush for PSP or the upcoming Portal for PC.

If you click the link below you'll find a PC demo of that game along with a detailed (illustrated) description what the game is all about and how it works. The demo need DirectX9.

http://tserve01.aid.design.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~fujiki/ole_coordinate_system/index.html

4pca6oj.gif

Any updates on this game? I thought it was due out this year. Only about 3 more updates though, and still no sign of the game. I'm really itching to try it out.

[quote name='dpatel']Any updates on this game? I thought it was due out this year. Only about 3 more updates though, and still no sign of the game. I'm really itching to try it out.[/quote]
I don't think it comes out until next year.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think it comes out until next year.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's what I was afraid of. Hoping it doesn't take too long.

Yea.. I've kinda been into these puzzle games lately. I think it started after I played Portal. Are there any other good ones I should look out for to hold me over while this comes out?

[quote name='dpatel']Yea.. I've kinda been into these puzzle games lately. I think it started after I played Portal. Are there any other good ones I should look out for to hold me over while this comes out?[/quote]
Crush and Exit on the PSP.

Just played it, FANTASTIC.
Demo is super short but leaves you wanting more.

It's in Japanese, but English voice. And it's a quite pleasant lady's voice.

Controls from TTP:

Left or Right Stick: Spins perspective
Hold R1: Spins perspective faster
Hold L1 : Activates motion sensor to spin perspective instead of the left or right stick (NOT RECOMMENDED)
Press Triangle: Goes into "thinking mode" (puppet stops but u can still spin perspective)
Hold X: Puppet walks faster
Square: My katakana skillz suck. It's "stop" or "skip", in any case, doesn't look like it does anything during the game
Select: Toggles timer / control instructions
Start: Pause (can't control perspective)

Been keeping an eye out for this game, havent played the demo yet, but so far the reaction is good and im very intrested in this game since it was announced by the man himself, Phil. Cant wait to play it!

I downloaded the PS3 demo, and came away with mixed results.

Its living up to everything it was displayed to be, but I cant honestly say I enjoyed it as much as I expected. Perhaps it was just the way the game was displayed of why I was so anticipated for it, but I got to say after playing the demo (although it was quite short), I am not as pumped up for it as I once was. As long as the game doesnt go for an obscure pricetag I will still pick it up. I hope it to be $9.99 max, but it will most likely be a $20 PSN game.

I like the concept of the game, very nice. Problem is what will the devs do to keep it from being repetitive.

Grr. Looks like they made it official, downloadable version only in the US. Guessing for both versions...

The game was released on UMD for PlayStation Portable in Japan and Asia. We ordered it from the importers over at Play-Asia over the weekend, because we weren't sure whether Sony Computer Entertainment America was going to release Echochrome PSP on these shores. But we can now confirm, exclusively, that it will be coming to North America via the Playstation Network store only--i.e. not brick and mortar retail--with its own unique 56 levels. When we get our UMD version from Play-Asia, we'll give you an update.

Grr. Looks like they made it official, downloadable version only in the US. Guessing for both versions...

The game was released on UMD for PlayStation Portable in Japan and Asia. We ordered it from the importers over at Play-Asia over the weekend, because we weren't sure whether Sony Computer Entertainment America was going to release Echochrome PSP on these shores. But we can now confirm, exclusively, that it will be coming to North America via the Playstation Network store only--i.e. not brick and mortar retail--with its own unique 56 levels. When we get our UMD version from Play-Asia, we'll give you an update.

Also, the blog mentions that both versions will release for $10. Which is great, since the JPN PS3 version was $18 (digital distribution only) and the PSP version was $40 for a UMD. Yech.

[quote name='mykevermin']Also, the blog mentions that both versions will release for $10. Which is great, since the JPN PS3 version was $18 (digital distribution only) and the PSP version was $40 for a UMD. Yech.[/quote]

Well like I always say, you really shouldn't compare prices between the different regions. They haven't been a good way of gauging prices outside of their own area at all.

And the UMD version comes with a lot more content then we'll be seeing, so for some importing is still way to go.

I've been largely ignoring everything about this game up until now. I just downloaded the demo and gave it a play through. This just became a must buy for me. I have to support any developers who come up with something as intuitive as this.

[quote name='ighosty']now i just want this more, any word on release date?[/quote]

IGN is saying it will release for May, I am blown away from this game, such an awesome and simple concept that obviously has people clamoring for it. Is there a price listed for this by chance officially in the States/

IGN echochrome article
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/868/868924p1.html

Can't say I was too impressed with the demo. It's a neat concept and I love the presentation(sort of reminded me of Intelligence Qube for some reason) but it just seems very repetitive and starts to feel like a gimmick quickly.

That said, for 10 bucks I'll probably buy it anyway.

Great game, a must own for puzzle fans. Also for $10 when they finally release it, is a great deal considering what it cost on JPN PSN.

[quote name='Scottyman']Can't say I was too impressed with the demo. It's a neat concept and I love the presentation(sort of reminded me of Intelligence Qube for some reason) but it just seems very repetitive and starts to feel like a gimmick quickly.

That said, for 10 bucks I'll probably buy it anyway.[/quote]

There are some more interesting levels later on. Beyond the normal echoes (gray guys that don't move) there are at least two more different ones.

There are solid black ones that walk the paths and if they touch you, you "die". So you have to stay ahead of them and so on.

And then there is another set that you have to combine. So you'll have two black echoes walking around and you'll have to make walk into each other along with two other white ones. Once they mix (white+white/black+black), you have to figure out how to make the white and black characters meet up and form gray.

This game is kind of... bad. Sometimes it will look like you've made a path but your guy will turn around/fall anyway. There's a button that's supposed to "click" paths together when you're close enough, but inexplicably it doesn't do anything half the time. Very annoying.

Also there is some sort of invisible timer that is running during the main mode, and when it runs out, you fail and none of your times are saved. From what I can tell there is no indication of how much time is left.

[quote name='pete5883']This game is kind of... bad. Sometimes it will look like you've made a path but your guy will turn around/fall anyway. There's a button that's supposed to "click" paths together when you're close enough, but inexplicably it doesn't do anything half the time. Very annoying.

Also there is some sort of invisible timer that is running during the main mode, and when it runs out, you fail and none of your times are saved. From what I can tell there is no indication of how much time is left.[/quote]

I'll have to boot the import on my PSP, but yes you can look at the time. I think... of the top of my head it might be select? For some reason I'm thinking it has to do with thinking mode but I'll check later.

Yes you can look at the amount of time you've taken on the current level, but there seems to be an overall timer that counts down separately, and the game ends when your time is up.

i'd like a zoom button for some of these larger puzzles.. it's quite hard to follow if the puzzle is large and you are zoomed all the way out..

So my girlfriend asked me what I wanted for graduation and I told her just a few games on the PSN.

One of those was Echochrome because we loved the demo. I've got to admit that I'm fairly disappointed in what the real game is. The game is what it is, but everything else is a mess. The menu is ambiguous, it's hard to see anything on a big level because you are zoomed to outerspace, and the game doesn't seem to have a greater purpose. You just go from puzzle to puzzle.

Due to the hype of the game and the quality of the demo, I would give the real game a 6.8/10. Just my opinion though.

Bought the game first day. Anyone else having trouble with the later levels? Those things are a fucking bitch.

bread's done
Back