Edge Magazines 100 greatest videogames (wtf???)

Magehart

CAGiversary!
Rinky Dink Link

Cutting to the chase...

[quote name='Edge Magazine/BBC']1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Super Mario 64
4. Half Life 2
5. Super Mario World
6. Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Halo: Combat Evolved
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. Tetris
10. Super Metroid
[/quote]
What were they smoking to put FFXII, HL2, and Halo on this list? Everyone else I can understand but there are millions of other major groundbreaking games. WoW for sure at this point, Starcraft, HL1, FF:VI or VII... the list is endless.

What do you guys think about this?

[quote name='Magehart']Rinky Dink Link

Cutting to the chase...

What were they smoking to put FFXII, HL2, and Halo on this list? Everyone else I can understand but there are millions of other major groundbreaking games. WoW for sure at this point, Starcraft, HL1, FF:VI or VII... the list is endless.

What do you guys think about this?[/QUOTE]

cause FF and Halo games are overrated. HL2 was great. As for the other games, RE4 was truly amazing.

what's wrong with half life 2 being on there? I just played it recently and it was mind blowing, really awesome.

In the 10 greatest of all times? Idk if HL2 should be on there. Without question on the top 10 most anticipated though. Hmm, I guess I can concede it based on some of the groundbreaking physics and other gameplay elements.

I will concur with ITDEFX, Resident Evil 4 was bloody amazing. I'm glad someone recignized it and gave it such high honors.

*must resist urge to buy Wii Port*

Here's my top 10.

1 - Super Mario Bros
2 - Doom
3 - Wing Commander
4 - Pac Man
5 - Legend Of Zelda
6 - King's Quest
7 - Nintendogs
8 - Mortal Kombat 2
9 - Pong
10 - Guitar Hero

i take issue with halo. i really like it, and i admit that it had a huge impact on modern console shooters and essentially created xbox as a brand, but one of the ten best all-time games? i don't think so.
and ff12? i'm not even gonna bother debating why that doesn't belong on there. its also a really good game, but gimme a break. this is a list of the all-time best games; you have to take things into account like impact on the industry, staying power, etc. that just can't be done with a game that is less than one year old.
however, i'm totally with them on re4 and hl2.

I don't understand how Tetris got on there. If it's a list of revolutionary games, then yeah... but enjoyable ones? Tetris just isn't fun anymore... wasn't even that fun back in the day.

[quote name='Magehart']In the 10 greatest of all times? Idk if HL2 should be on there. Without question on the top 10 most anticipated though. Hmm, I guess I can concede it based on some of the groundbreaking physics and other gameplay elements.

I will concur with ITDEFX, Resident Evil 4 was bloody amazing. I'm glad someone recignized it and gave it such high honors.

*must resist urge to buy Wii Port*[/QUOTE]

Well, I think a lot of times we get caught up in whether a game is groundbreaking or not... this is simply a top 100 greatest games list (or top 10 as far as what is quoted in this thread). I believe you would find many a gamer who put Halo in their top 10 all time games, and it's not because it did anything new... in my opinion what made Halo so great was that for the first time ever, playing an FPS on a console just felt "right". Sure Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were great FPS console games before Halo, but they didn't nail the fps feeling the same way Halo did.

Similarly you have WOW as belonging in the top 10... I'm not sure how groundbreaking that game is, considering the mmorpgs that preceded it had a lot of the same types of things going on, but WOW just gets it "right".

Having not played FFXII, I can't say whether or not I think it really deserves to be up in that list, but I can't imagine that many gamers would put it in their top 10 (or even their top 3 FF games for that matter), so it's hard for me to imagine it belonging this high.

My personal top 10:
1. Super Mario 64
2. Starcraft
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Mario Bros 3
5. Halo
6. Street Fighter II (CE/Turbo/etc/etc)
7. Link to the Past
8. Chrono Trigger
9. Super Smash Bros. Melee
10. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Saying Halo belongs on that list and not Half-Life 2 is laughable, I agree Halo is one of the most Overrated games of all time and does not belong on that list before Doom, Quake, or either Half-life in the FPS genre. Heck, I would even say Goldeneye is better since it was the first popular console shooter that had split screen MP, 4 player that was a lot of fun.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Saying Halo belongs on that list and not Half-Life 2 is laughable, I agree Halo is one of the most Overrated games of all time and does not belong on that list before Doom, Quake, or either Half-life in the FPS genre. Heck, I would even say Goldeneye is better since it was the first popular console shooter that had split screen MP, 4 player that was a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're commenting on my own personal list from the post above yours... I'm not sure how it is laughable that my top 10 list contains my personal top 10 games and not yours and/or someone else's. I thought HL2 was awesome, but I had more fun with halo, thus Halo made the cut and HL2 didn't. Not trying to troll or anything, just giving my opinion.

i dont disgree with the list but the order is a bit wonky and yes, they're missing Starcraft in the top ten which is blasephemous

not sure what else to put in the top 10, though I don't fully agree with it.

I'm sure if you came up with your own top 10 of all time, it would be equally as debatable, as would anyone's.

I'd probably have the original Halo and Half-Life 2 high on my list too. Really, other than FF12 (as I've never played it) I don't see much wrong with the list. I think I'd swap out Twilight Princess for OoT though. Oh, and have Mario 3 on there.

I'd have to put Street Fighter 2 on there. then again, so many good fighting games have been made since then. but if you were to put Third Strike, CvS2, or even Tekken Dark Resurrection in place of SF2, since it's an antiquated fighter, people would riot.

I can never tell if these are truly "best evar" lists or if they're for the most innovative or nostalgic games.

They had included Half Life 1, Goldeneye, and FF VII in somewhat high rankings on previous lists, which have always been nintendo heavy. Super Mario and Zelda jousted for #1 in their view for a while, depending on their respective incarnations, with Tetris safely at #2. Moving to HL2, Halo, and FF XII is a natural evolution, especially considering their policy of evaluating games for the list based in part on how interesting a new gamer would find the older material.

I agree that Starcraft is an interesting omission. But with only ten choices for the greatest games, how exhaustive can it be?

My gripe is the lack of PC games where is civilization, the game many people say is the greatest game ever it should be #1 or 2. And what about games like sim city, never winter nights, fall out, masters of orion any god RTS. I don't have a problem with halo on the list but its not a top 10 there are easily 10 PC shooters that should beat it out (half-life,half-life2,quake,unreal,deus-ex,system scock,tribes,battle field,serious sam,wolfenstein. ect..)

I have to give it props for a least trying and not being like

1.halo
2.gta 3
3. halo2
4.gta vice city
5.final fantasy X
100.zelda

[quote name='Demolition Man']Here's my top 10.

1 - Super Mario Bros
2 - Doom
3 - Wing Commander
4 - Pac Man
5 - Legend Of Zelda
6 - King's Quest
7 - Nintendogs
8 - Mortal Kombat 2
9 - Pong
10 - Guitar Hero[/quote]

while those might be considered influential in my opinion those are hardly the greatest games of all time. In my opinion a "great" game is still enjoyable today. Pong, Doom, Wing Commander, Pac-Man? In my opinion not enjoyable. Since this is opinion though, more power to you.

I just think a "great" game is fun no matter when it is released, that's why I don't like see tons of old games on there because a lot of them aren't fun anymore.

Eh, these lists are bullshit, kinda. There is no way in hell I can name a No. 1 spot in my list, even per genre. EarthBound's Ness and Fallout Boy would be in an embrace forever as to which one is my favorite RPG.

My only real problem with the list is the lack of Sierra titles, and the fact that EarthBound was nowhere to be seen. I'm talking, of course, about the full list of 100 titles. You can relax, StarCraft is represented there.

If I were you, I wouldn't pay attention to the order. Psychonauts is 98 in that? Well, good thing they made it in. I'd place on the very top of XBOX1/PS2 games. The very top. No Halo / Halo 2. No Shadow of the Colossus. Just little Psychonatus with their Lungfish.

As far as lists go, that really isn't that bad of a list. Final Fantasy XII is a better game then VII by miles (though I'd put it behind VI still) and Halo is still the most complete single player experience a console FPS has ever had. I agree that Starcraft deserves a spot and I think Ocarina of Time is way too high, but pound for pound this is the best "greatest games ever" list I've seen in a long time.

Would be neat to see the rest of the list. They do state that only 5 next gen games are on there.

Pro Evolution Soccer #15
Oblivion #19
Virtua Fighter 5 #38
Virtua Tennis #80
Crackdown #100

[quote name='Apossum']
I'm sure if you came up with your own top 10 of all time, it would be equally as debatable, as would anyone's.[/quote]

yup. as far as lists go those 10 games are some of the greatest.

They should have included Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, and Knights of the Old Republic. They completely shut out Bioware. I just don't understand how they could do that.

top ten: halo, HL2 should def. not be on there. if you want to put an FPS on there you've got to either have DOOM or HL1, with my preference going for DOOM.

this top ten list is also lacking Starcraft, Chrono Trigger.

these lists are impossible though, so overall they did a decent job.

bread's done
Back