Edge: Natal will be $150 in US

$99 with a game...perhaps, but fuck $150. I'll be curious to see what Sony prices the Move at now that MS has made this announcement.

[quote name='SynGamer']$99 with a game...perhaps, but fuck $150. I'll be curious to see what Sony prices the Move at now that MS has made this announcement.[/QUOTE]

Move is suppose to be $100 with PS Eye, controller, and a game

[quote name='KaneRobot'] I'm trying to think of what games actually used the XBL Vision camera in a good way. [/QUOTE]

You're in the Movies
UNO
Scene-It
Some random pinball game? Or Totem ball or some shit.
Poker

Of course, video-chat was the killer app for the vision cam.

[quote name='gaypunk']You're in the Movies
UNO
Scene-It
Poker

Of course, video-chat was the killer app for the vision cam.[/QUOTE]

Rainbow Six Vegas, and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 allowed you to have your face in the game.

Given that Sony's counterpart "Move" is coming out at $100 w/ a game, I seriously doubt Microsoft is going to release Natal @ $150 without a game, it just doesn't make a lot of sense at all and when you can purchase an entire console for $199, cheaper for an arcade, these numbers just do not make a lot of sense at all.

- Jason

[quote name='Fjordson']LOL. Controlling your TV screen like Minority Report = confirmed.[/QUOTE]

If it also lets me see into the future and comes with a hot chick in a skin tight water-repllent suit, I'm in :)

[quote name='guyver2077']it has got to be cheaper.. i bet they did this to see what the reaction would be. and then announce it for $100 or something[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm betting on too. Just like Epic did with the Gears Of War 2 expansion a few months back.

$100 is pushing it really because that's half the price of a new 360 arcade system. c'mon just leave it @ $80 or less as initially rumored. I'd buy it for about $80 or less but only if there would be a deal going on where you get a gift card or something else included. Otherwise, i'd wait for it to drop in price. No reason that something like this should cost more than a game. Live vision camera hardly ever gets any use, controllers have gotten cheaper along with hd's.

[quote name='62t']Move is suppose to be $100 with PS Eye, controller, and a game[/QUOTE]

PS Move's going to have 1800 different combinations with various pricepoints though
- PS3/Move/Eye/Game
- PS3/Move/Eye
- Move/Eye/Game
- Move/Eye/Backrub
- Move/:bomb:
- etc.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Rainbow Six Vegas, and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 allowed you to have your face in the game.[/QUOTE]

Several of the Sports games, like Facebreaker and some of the NBA games did too.. but they scrapped that idea cause they realized no one gave a fuck. They'll likely do the same thing here with Natal too. A few cool ideas, but it'll probably only sell 250k or so at launch and they'll all shit their pants because it was nowhere near the 5 mil or so mark that they have planned in their heads.

The reason PS Move likely be more successful, is because Sony is marketing it as a (Hey, check out what ELSE [And let's be honest, it only does everything!] your PS3 can do!) type of add-on, and not as some sort of a gaming revolution like MS is pushing Natal as.

[quote name='guyver2077']it has got to be cheaper.. i bet they did this to see what the reaction would be. and then announce it for $100 or something[/QUOTE]

They couldn't have guessed? I'm not saying your theory is wrong, but I can't believe there's no one at Microsoft who couldn't have independently figured out that people weren't going to pay $150 for a gimmick add-on. Even if they're convinced it's going to revolutionize gaming (which most agree it isn't), it's still stupid.

I just saw that EB is selling the new black wii + 2 controllers + motion plus + wii sports + wii resort for $199. Natal priced at $150 is a very bad move....

Let's see... at $150 I can probably buy 3 quality games at or near their launch date based on latest launch sale prices, or one potential BOC (box of crap) that I have no doubts will be lucky if it is ever any more popular than the eye toy. Why do I need to play my xbox without a controller? My kid may want to, but he can earn his own $150 and learn disappointment first hand.

New rumor is that Natal will be called Wave. Eh...too similar to Move to me, so I think it's false.

How about Xbox Clear or Xbox Fluid?

I've thought about this all day and I am 100% convinced this was an intentional leak. Not because they want to see if people like the price, but so people are relieved when they announce it's $99. It's setting up a win/win situation for them. It's a marketing tactic.

They are preemptively changing the discussion at E3 from being "is it worth $99?" to "well at least it isn't $150!".

Anymore than $80 is pushing it. I understand project shitbox costing more than a game, but $150 is damn near the price of the console, which has plenty of great non-shitbox titles. At $150 Microsoft is setting themselves up for a failure especially when the Playstation Move will likely be around the $60-$70 range.

I don't know who Natal is, but I voted yes to the poll question:

"will you bite at $150?"

Especially so if there's a chance of catching & keeping it.

if you won't pay $150, fine. I understand. But those who blast them for charging $150 must have very little of an idea of how much the technology costs to manufacture.

[quote name='Matt Young']if you won't pay $150, fine. I understand. But those who blast them for charging $150 must have very little of an idea of how much the technology costs to manufacture.[/QUOTE]

Good point, I agree.

Still, I am a cheap ass, and I'd be more inclined to get it at $100 than $150. Depending on how well developers support it, $150 could be an easily justifiable price, but I have to admit that seems like an unlikely scenario.

Also as a side note, it should come bundled with a game. They're going to need a "wii sports" to really sell this thing.

I would buy it for $150, but I wouldn't have any actual use of it, since all of my shit is on the floor and I sit directly in front of the TV in my small room.

[quote name='Rhett']That's...atrocious.

I think I'll just go buy a Wii with that $150, instead of spending $210 just to use it with something.[/QUOTE]

That is an excellent point. Why buy a camera peripheral when you could buy a full blown console (Wii) or even half of an HD console/Bluray player (PS3) to pair up with your 360?

This will fail without a doubt.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Good point, I agree.

Still, I am a cheap ass, and I'd be more inclined to get it at $100 than $150. Depending on how well developers support it, $150 could be an easily justifiable price, but I have to admit that seems like an unlikely scenario.

Also as a side note, it should come bundled with a game. They're going to need a "wii sports" to really sell this thing.[/QUOTE]

Oh, for sure. I'd much rather have them release it at a lower price, but I had heard rumors of $200, so this is kind of a relief for me.

I've just been very enthused about the whole concept since I firsts aw it. I do agree that they need to include a game. In fact, I'm sure they will. If nothing else, they'll have a sampling of things like that brick breaker game they displayed.

I think at $100 they could get away with it, just not $150.

The Wii Fit was a monster success after all. Though releasing it around Christmas will always cause a frenzy. I remember when people paid hundreds of dollars for tickle me elmos...

probably a bigger bundle type thing for $150, and a smaller bundle for like $80-100.

I'd pass regardless till it's around $50ish or I end up needing a new console and it comes free as a promo thru a retailer or something.

Sort of forgot about the name.

[quote name='gaypunk']You're in the Movies
UNO
Scene-It
Poker[/QUOTE]

TotemBall is arguably the worst game on the system. You're in the Movies was fun for about 20 minutes. I don't consider either one of those "good" uses of the camera.

Never played Scene-It.

Forgot about Poker and Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2 though (ditto for the EA Sports face-mapping). RSV's face mapping thing was great.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I think at $100 they could get away with it, just not $150.

The Wii Fit was a monster success after all. Though releasing it around Christmas will always cause a frenzy. I remember when people paid hundreds of dollars for tickle me elmos...[/QUOTE]

The Wii Fit was a success because it was aimed at lazy bitch housewives as a way to get exercise without going to the gym. When I go to the school to pick up my step kids, I always hear these whores going on and on about "OMG IM SO TIRED I PLAYED WII FIT FOR LIKE AN HOUR LAST NIGHT!". Shit makes me want to puke.

As for camera peripherals, I know I personally only bought the Xbox Live Vision Camera to get the camera achievements in Burnout Paradise. Past that, I haven't hooked it up again. There's been zero reason to. Totemball? HAWHAW.

[quote name='xilly']The Wii Fit was a success because it was aimed at lazy bitch housewives as a way to get exercise without going to the gym. When I go to the school to pick up my step kids, I always hear these whores going on and on about "OMG IM SO TIRED I PLAYED WII FIT FOR LIKE AN HOUR LAST NIGHT!". Shit makes me want to puke.[/QUOTE]

Games like "shoot guys in balls" are aimed at dumbass couch residents who're afraid to lift a game controller off their lap for fear of breaking their wrists or hitting themselves in the head. They want to shoot guys in the balls with minimal effort, and they'll settle for nothing less.

[quote name='Matt Young']if you won't pay $150, fine. I understand. But those who blast them for charging $150 must have very little of an idea of how much the technology costs to manufacture.[/QUOTE]

The last game company I worked at was working on game design that needed a motion control peripheral for a license owned by Universal ( I can't name it, but it's stupid). The guys from that Israeli company (3DV, I believe) that developed the 3D motion camera technology came out and demonstrated it for us, they even left us a prototype. This was one year before Microsoft acquired them and soon announced Natal.

The game never came out, as the company went under.

We had worked it out to where we were pretty confident we could pack in their camera with our game for about $70-$80 total. If I remember right, our cost on the camera was about $35.

Now, I'm not saying Natal costs $35 for Microsoft - as I believe Natal uses newer/better/more technology than what we were going for -but the core of it was still the infrared camera that could track 3D movement.

In other words, seeing what Natal is (has a mic, etc) and how it is essentially doing what we were looking at back then, I would be VERY surprised if Microsoft's cost on it is over $50.

If Microsoft leaks the rumor that it will cost $150 we'll be more accepting when they release it at $100 or $80. If the actual price was leaked...we'd refuse to buy it before it was even out.

I voted no. If they show something mind meltingly awesome at E3, I might consider $150. I don't expect to be overly impressed by E3.

If it really comes out at $150, it is going to fail. How often do you hear about peripherals failing because nobody wants to develop a game for something that a small percentage of console owners will have.

it was revealed on some european retailers site that natal will cost 80euros(about 100$).
thrustbucket, but Natal is not one camera, but 2. one is constantly scanning movable objects(people) and one is scanning background.
http://myinsidegamer.com/previews/preview-project-natal-hands-on/ - this should put some light on it and stop "this is just overpriced eye toy" bullshit. also the fact that Natal can read and detect when you "grabbed" the ball in Ricochet is friggin amazing(simply: it's not stupid waggle like some of you may think) - probably the best and most informative preview of Natal cam so far.

They haven't even shown any real game, what makes them think I'll pay for something I know next to nothing about?

I think Natal could be great......but $150 great ?!?!?!??

The economy is still awful and people don't splurge on things like this so I call this price a farce. My other concern is obviously the fact of support. I would never touch this with a 10' pole until I was sure that this had overwhelming support from developers.

We shall see......

[quote name='Just-Joe']They haven't even shown any real game, what makes them think I'll pay for something I know next to nothing about?[/QUOTE]

Yo, dey was playin' Burnout Paradise wif diz shit, yo. U ain't been seein' dat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73OBjO1HYOc

(Written in ebonics, since the rapper The Game [you just lost, btw] was the one demo'ing it.)

I have all 3 systems so Im trying to look at this as FAIRLY as possible.

$150 SUPPOSEDLY.
1) We dont know if that price is 100% accurate ALTHOUGH its been reported numerous times.
2) Is that JUST the NATAL device or is a Game, Natal, and something else packaged in??
3) Even if it IS Packaged in WITH stuff is it then worth it. Seriously. $150 when a Wii with Remote and Nunchuck AND Motion Plus AND Wii Sports AND Wii Sports Resort is $200.
4) $150 (AGAIN if TRUE) makes them look bad. Especially since Sony's is going to be What $99 and thats WITH the PS Eye, A Game, and the Move Controller and I believe the Sub Controller(or whatever is going to be called). Or you can get it Cheaper WITHOUT the PS Eye and Everything Else for the Price IS $70 (that price may be a rumor, but they did say that a bundle WITH NO CAMERA would be available to accomodate those that already have one).

5)$300 (IF TRUE) with an Arcade is still BAD. That 512 MB if Internal Memory will run out QUICK. And NOW the only HDD Available is a 60GB for near $100 or a 250GB for $130.

All in all. I love all 3 systems. However. I WONT budge at $150 or even $100 (unless that $100 package HAS ALOT in it). The ONLY Reason Im getting a PS Move is the $70 Tag for a GAME, and the Controller. If I had to Pay $100 for that I wouldnt either. But I got my PS Eye for like $10 on sale a Kmart 2 years ago. CLEARANCE BABY.

Anyone who buys this though for $150 need their head examined.

Although, it would be cool if Natal worked with all games currently. Completely doubt it though and for 150 bucks... Nah, I'll just go and play my Wii.

Natal, we'll see how you are after 6 months or so and finally decide if you suck or not.

bread's done
Back