Edit: Next-gen MADDEN premiered today on ESPN!

stryker

CAGiversary!
I'm not a football fan, but I'll be watching to see what the next-gen consoles can do, graphics-wise.

"MADDEN NFL NEXT-GEN COMMERCIAL
DEBUTS ON ESPN -- ONE TIME ONLY!
Draft Coverage Begins at 12pm ET / 9am PT

Along with finally providing an answer to the question of which player will be picked first in the 2005 NFL Draft, the first hour of ESPN's Draft coverage on Saturday, April 23, will also give the world its first look at the next generation of videogames -- Madden NFL football will make its next generation debut in a TV ad airing within the first hour of the broadcast, which begins at 12:00pm ET / 9am PT.

The ad, which will run only one time during the broadcast, is a 60-second preview of the photo-realistic graphics and heart-pounding football intensity that is the essence of Madden NFL football -- an experience that will come to life like never before on the next generation of video game consoles. This is the future of Madden NFL football, and if you're a football fan, this is a televised preview that is not to be missed. Set your VCRs or digital video recorders so you can play back the commercial again and again, because you may not believe what you're going to see.

The next generation of Madden NFL football is coming, and you can get your first glimpse on ESPN during the first hour of the 2005 NFL Draft. Don't miss it!"

Oh wow...Can't wait to see the "We added a new thing...where you're player can drink water! YES! Buy it not for $69.99!"

I don't think X360 is powerful enough to enable the players to drink water in MADDEN. We'll have to wait for the X720 for that.

I was hoping for actual gameplay footage to judge what the next-gen console can do. I don't think that was FMV, but rather replay video using the in-game graphics. Hope that's the case.

[quote name='stryker']I was hoping for actual gameplay footage to judge what the next-gen console can do. I don't think that was FMV, but rather replay video using the in-game graphics. Hope that's the case.[/QUOTE]

It was fmv, sorry to destroy your hopes

I'm not impressed, but I remain hopeful that they will improve by not letting players throw the ball through the walls at the back of the end zone, spell roethlisberger correctly and make the tackling and replay cameras better.

I hate speculating on next-gen, but take a look at what's possible with Chaos Theory right now. That being said, there's not 22 players on the field or AI running, so who knows. The throwing animation for McNabb wasn't too impressive. And yeah, the play call screen...what was that?

I was expecting them to show the teaser at the end of the hour. Surprising they showed it that early on.

Yeah, that was totally opening-FMV style. I can't wait for the backlash if none of this is gameplay footage, like they're basically saying it is.

[quote name='stryker']I don't think X360 is powerful enough to enable the players to drink water in MADDEN. We'll have to wait for the X720 for that.[/QUOTE]
water is impossible to render, to perfection, or any liquid for that manner

It's not hard to believe that Madden would use FMV/replay to advertise their game. Virtually every Madden commercial in the past 5 years has lacked in-game footage. Most casual observers don't realize that what they are showing is not actual gameplay footage and end up buying the game based on the graphics in the ads, or worse, by name-recognition only.

Basically, there was about a zero-percent chance that we were going to see actual gameplay footage in that Madden "next-gen" preview. EA is too shrewd for that.

From IGN:

[quote name='IGN.com']It turns out that the commercial and all visuals released are actually an artist's interpretation of what Madden could look like on the Next-Gen systems....But before you dismiss the commercial, the people at Tiburon say that some of the Madden team didn't want these visuals seen, not because they are setting the bar too high, but too low. Seriously, they say that these are the visuals they were shooting for originally, but that the team now feels that they will be easily surpassed.[/quote]

So, the commercial won't show in-game footage.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']From IGN:

So, the commercial won't show in-game footage.[/QUOTE]
i expected that, i thought these graphics sucked

"an artist's interpretation of what Madden could look like on the Next-Gen systems"

Whhhat? I wish I had known this prior, I wouldn't have bothered watching the commercial. Damn EA, go to hell.

I've watched the video several times and i'm pretty sure this is a mix of CG and actual gameplay footage. Some shots are obviously CG rendered (The football spinning in the air, the diving touchdown, etc).

I wasn't really impressed with what i saw but i guess it's because my expectations were too high. I was looking forward to see real actual gameplay footage but it ended up being a 60 sec. teaser. oh well thats good ol' EA.

Too bad 2KSports are out of the football scene, i still can't get enough of my ESPN NFL 2K5.

It looked like sh@#!t was no doubt a artist interpretation of what it might look like. The game SHOULD look ALOT better then that crappy FMV. If it doesn't 2k games will take over football games even if they will have to make a "generic" nfl game. This was a total let down, but when I saw the picks I had a idea what we might be getting. I still had soom hope that we might get something showing in game footage of some kind. God I hate EA!

[quote name='generalpatton71']It looked like sh@#!t was no doubt a artist interpretation of what it might look like. The game SHOULD look ALOT better then that crappy FMV. If it doesn't 2k games will take over football games even if they will have to make a "generic" nfl game. This was a total let down, but when I saw the picks I had a idea what we might be getting. I still had soom hope that we might get something showing in game footage of some kind. God I hate EA![/QUOTE]

according to the confirmed E3 list, they arent making one.

Thats a list of games that have been confirmed. There are alot of games that will be there that hasn't been confirmed yet. If they are making a game and I'm not sure they are yet. They are going to keep there cards close to there chest so EA doesn't try to find a way to screw them again.

I hope they underestimated the Xbox360 in making this demo, because it certainly wasn't "damn I gotta get one of these right away" good. It was nice, but it didn't seem like a huge leap. Hopefully the actual gameplay videos will look better.

Oh man. Do you all remember the hype regarding the current generation of consoles and how they could render graphics on par with pre rendered CG movies.

Well we now have a debate about whether or not footage from a Xbox 2 game is pre rendered or gameplay, some have confidently claimed that it is pre rendered, others dismissing it as ugly in game footage.

What does this mean to me?

That if this WAS real game footage then the hype is finally beginning to come true.

Well, that and you all are NEVER SATISFIED with video game graphics. God, how did we ever get by back in the 2600 days.

[quote name='atheist_uberboy']Oh man. Do you all remember the hype regarding the current generation of consoles and how they could render graphics on par with pre rendered CG movies.

Well we now have a debate about whether or not footage from a Xbox 2 game is pre rendered or gameplay, some have confidently claimed that it is pre rendered, others dismissing it as ugly in game footage.

What does this mean to me?

That if this WAS real game footage then the hype is finally beginning to come true.

Well, that and you all are NEVER SATISFIED with video game graphics. God, how did we ever get by back in the 2600 days.[/QUOTE]
The problem we all have is that it is obviously not in game footage. The commercial showed us nothing that we would see in the game other than maybe cutscenes.

Its not in game footage. EA stated that this is pre-rendered. Pre-rendered has absolutely no bearing on what the game will actually look like. Lets wait for the game to come out, or some *real* screenshots to come out, before we start judging. I think it'll take EA some time to adjust to the new consoles, their first games for this generation looked like garbage.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']I wonder how many copies, Madden NFL 2006 will sell at $69.99?...[/QUOTE]
Way too many.

bread's done
Back