[Edmonton] Rogers Location Closing - South Gate

craig64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I went to South Gate Rogers Plus in Edmonton today, and they are closing out with tonnes of good sales. Same deals on as in the Winnipeg thread from a while ago. All used DVD's and Blu Rays are Buy One Get Two Free, and all new merchandise (games, DVD's, Blu Ray) are 50% off. Used games are all 2/$25, but they're pretty picked over already.

I got a sweet haul of used Blu Rays, so I'm stoked. I'll put my list... just to brag a little.

Batman Begins, Bolt, Dark Knight, Disney Earth, G Force, Hellboy 2, I Am Legend, Matrix, Paprika, Pirates 3, Ratatuille, Speed Racer, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Unforgiven, and Wall-E.

I wasn't trying to clear house... but I couldn't really pass up Blu Rays at that price.

Should get going soon though... it was pretty busy in there.

[quote name='refraxion']Can anyone tell me the location of this rogers? I'm interested (Since I don't think its the southgate one now?). I wonder if they'll have any sweet deals there.[/QUOTE]

Looking at last few posts; Heritage location next to Sobeys is have the clearance sale.

[quote name='Rocky071']51 Ave. Heading south on Calgary Trail, take a right on 51 Ave, it comes up shortly after that on your left side. Heading south on 111st, take a left by Southgate (51ave), travel up the road and it's a little past London Drugs on your right. I could get you an address but I'm lazy to look.

If anyone sees Fifa 10 for under 30 bucks and is willing to give me a text or a BBM, message me and I'll give you my contact info. I'd be grateful! I have class all through Tuesday the 1st :([/QUOTE]

Alright thanks a lot for the info looking at google maps can't seem to find the right one haha, anyone think there will be some new titles there like modnation?

Also, where exactly is the heritage location? I've been googling it and can't find it haha.

Edit - nvm I found it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='collector42']If you're in the store when I am, just hang around the guy holding 12 copies. Bend down to "tie your shoe" and I'll make sure you get one. ;) Just shield your face because I can't really predict where they'll land when I smack them out of his/her hands.

But seriously, I'll keep my eyes open for you.[/QUOTE]

Video game moshpit! lol. Swanky, thanks dood. I'm going to TRY and make it there, but my job is unpredictable in my delivery times as of late, so...Yeah.

And I'll make sure to wear a hard hat and safety glasses for face safety's sake, of course. :D lol.

I have a friend who lives by there, he just told me that the sale starts TODAY! All used games 2 for $25 and new games 50% off. He just called me from there. Apparently the place is already extremely picked over. All the premium titles already gone in the used section, a few decent new ones left. I'm sure that won't last long though.

He overheard there were quite a few people that showed up early (at like 08:00). They also opened the store a little early, he got there 10 minutes early and the doors were already open. Tons of hoarders in line with stacks of games and even some with bags full, like a few dozen games each. Honestly, they should set a limit of 6 games per person or something to avoid things like that.

Damn it, sounds like I missed another Rogers closing. Which one is next?

Yeah I went there and a bunch of people already in line with stacks of games and what not.. sigh. Didn't get anything, there was brand new GoW III/Nier etc when I was there.

Awwww SHAQ-FU I knew I should have just gone in today.
Well I'll be going in about an hour I'll post about what's left.... if there is anything.

[quote name='AndyTwobeats']D'oh -_- looks like I missed out on another one.
I wish they would limit the number of the same game you can buy.[/QUOTE]

No doubt, they should limit it to 1 copy per game title and make a max number of games total (6 or so). No one should be able to buy 40 or 50 games when that could make 5 or 6 people happy instead of just 1 hoarder. Oh well.

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']Awwww SHAQ-FU I knew I should have just gone in today.
Well I'll be going in about an hour I'll post about what's left.... if there is anything.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind, could you post whether or not there are any good blu rays left. I don't need to know specifics, just whether or not they're cleared out as well lol. Thanks if you can :D

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']No doubt, they should limit it to 1 copy per game title and make a max number of games total (6 or so). No one should be able to buy 40 or 50 games when that could make 5 or 6 people happy instead of just 1 hoarder. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Oh well, I guess that helps my wallet at least lol.

[quote name='AndyTwobeats']If you don't mind, could you post whether or not there are any good blu rays left. I don't need to know specifics, just whether or not they're cleared out as well lol. Thanks if you can :D[/QUOTE]
Will do, that's the main reason I'm going at this point.

Went to a different RP that was closing and overheard that there were huge lineups to get in at opening. Place was pretty much ransacked by the time I got there but I managed to get a Dualshock 3 for half off.

[quote name='Jbently']Went to a different RP that was closing and overheard that there were huge lineups to get in at opening. Place was pretty much ransacked by the time I got there but I managed to get a Dualshock 3 for half off.[/QUOTE]
The one in Ontario or is there another one in Edmonton closing down?

I only manage to get Boarderlands Add-on, and 2 pre-played titles. They had xbox live points card, but they are regular price.

Struck out. Was in the middle of a rush delivery around 11 this morning. Walked in, glanced at what little remained...Shook my head at the crates of Blu-rays, DVDs and games that people were carrying(OH, to be them..)..Then again, went in for specific games. Don't need to up the backlog THAT much more. :D

Yikes it was insane! I went in thinking that it was going to start tomorrow so I could check out what games there was... I arrived at 10:05am and it was like a zoo! I managed to score a couple of titles.. =( But I wish I came like 10 minutes earlier...

People were snagging all the games off the shelves like mad (2 for $25) and there was a girl running around helping everyone get the games off the shelves... and the wait to pay ended up being about 2 hours... There were some guys behind me that skipped work to come to this too (and waited 2 hours with me) and during that 2 hour line, they ended up buying 3 times more stuff than what they originally wanted to... (But everyone did that.. Even people in front of me...)

Ughhh never doing that again.. In retrospect... Bayonetta for $30 isn't really worth the giant lineup.. LOL. But I mainly did it for Prototype and Assassin's Creed 2. So at least I got those..

A truly sad day for gamers. It appears a handful of hoarders camped out and raped the store. A guy who got there at 8:30am only got 1 game he came for--I guess there were three guys who ran at the shelves, shoveled all the games into buckets/baskets/bags and then proceeded to leisurely sort through them all and discard what wouldn't net them acceptable levels of fliprofit.

Some other dredges had clipboards with TIV printouts, shouting values to their friends who would snag games as they called them.

Ugh. People who work for a living lose out yet again. :roll: It's too bad none of the places they're flipping these games at sell toothbrushes or deodorant. They need those a lot more than RDR...

Wow I went by there after work today (around 3:30) and the shelves were pretty bare. I actually did manage to get some pretty great titles because while I was paying the girl at the counter told me they just got a bunch of rentals back and were about to put them out. I think she was waiting to offer them to the first person to come along and mention how people turn into slobbering idiots when they see a sale.

For $130 I picked up (All 360):

MX vs ATV Reflex
Metro 2033
2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (So glad I got this)
Resident Evil 5
Mass Effect 2
Halo Wars
COD: World at War
Overlord II
Dark Void
Brave: A Warrior's Tale

It's a shame that some people are so obsessed with "turning a profit" that they almost turn into animals. Had a good laugh with a couple of girls working there about what a madhouse it was when they opened and how some people really need to get better jobs to offset the small amount of profit they make from trading games in.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']For $130 I picked up (All 360):

MX vs ATV Reflex
Metro 2033
2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (So glad I got this)
Resident Evil 5
[/QUOTE]

Was your RE5 for 360? I went there and stood in line to ask about the PS3 version (doubtful) and they said no dice. Been waiting for find a pair of cheap copies so a buddy and I can play together for free via PSN.

[quote name='collector42']Was your RE5 for 360? I went there and stood in line to ask about the PS3 version (doubtful) and they said no dice. Been waiting for find a pair of cheap copies so a buddy and I can play together for free via PSN.[/QUOTE]

No it was for 360. There was actually 3 or 4 copies of the 360 version when I got there.

I honestly can't believe how bare the shelves were at 3:30. I went to the Southgate one a few days into the sale and managed to find a ton of newer games.

[quote name='collector42']A truly sad day for gamers. It appears a handful of hoarders camped out and raped the store. A guy who got there at 8:30am only got 1 game he came for--I guess there were three guys who ran at the shelves, shoveled all the games into buckets/baskets/bags and then proceeded to leisurely sort through them all and discard what wouldn't net them acceptable levels of fliprofit.

Some other dredges had clipboards with TIV printouts, shouting values to their friends who would snag games as they called them.

Ugh. People who work for a living lose out yet again. :roll: It's too bad none of the places they're flipping these games at sell toothbrushes or deodorant. They need those a lot more than RDR...[/QUOTE]

That's pretty sad -_-
Looks like I won't bother going lol.

I found what I wanted on Amazon US pretty cheap anyway so I'm happy :D

Someone mentioned getting the Evangelion Blu 1.11 at the other Rogers closing, so that's what I was interested in.
It's only $13.99 on Amazon US vs $27.49 on Amazon Canada :D
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030ZOYHC/ref=oss_product

[quote name='Afrodiziak']No it was for 360. There was actually 3 or 4 copies of the 360 version when I got there.

I honestly can't believe how bare the shelves were at 3:30. I went to the Southgate one a few days into the sale and managed to find a ton of newer games.[/QUOTE]

no kidding i went to that one like a week after and still managed to grab a few new games and a couple used to play...

this store was ransacked by the time i got there. still managed to spend almost $200 but spent it all on stuff i didnt actually want just kinda a impulse buy.

If anyone is looking for Blu-rays, don't bother. The pickings were VERY slim and nothing worthwhile.

As others have said the games are really picked over already, I was shocked by how bare everything was. I wouldn't bother going in, you aren't missing much, unless you are looking for dvds as they still had what seemed to be a good selection.

[quote name='collector42']A truly sad day for gamers. It appears a handful of hoarders camped out and raped the store. A guy who got there at 8:30am only got 1 game he came for--I guess there were three guys who ran at the shelves, shoveled all the games into buckets/baskets/bags and then proceeded to leisurely sort through them all and discard what wouldn't net them acceptable levels of fliprofit.

Ugh. People who work for a living lose out yet again. :roll: It's too bad none of the places they're flipping these games at sell toothbrushes or deodorant. They need those a lot more than RDR...[/QUOTE]

Yep, when I got there I saw a bunch of people (obviously knew each other) with stacks of games each.. so much hoarding going on. I looked around, didn't see what I wanted (I saw Nier/Gow/Borderlands/ etc.).

[quote name='refraxion']Yep, when I got there I saw a bunch of people (obviously knew each other) with stacks of games each.. so much hoarding going on. I looked around, didn't see what I wanted (I saw Nier/Gow/Borderlands/ etc.).[/QUOTE]
wow that is sad, people should go find a real job

I bought some stuff from one near me that was closing down. It was pretty much gutted when I got there at 6PM after school Apparently people were camped out in the morning well before they opened so there wasn't much opportunity.

No doubt, absolutely low ball and greasy move by those few guys. I understand a little greed, but that is just plain ridiculous and should not be allowed. I wish someone would have pushed one of them over and knocked the stack of games flying for all to make a mad scramble for.

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']No doubt, absolutely low ball and greasy move by those few guys. I understand a little greed, but that is just plain ridiculous and should not be allowed. I wish someone would have pushed one of them over and knocked the stack of games flying for all to make a mad scramble for.[/QUOTE]

I hope someone would do that or we should just take from their piles while they are sorting out

Really disgusted reading some of the stuff in this thread. Thanks to the classy CAGs who play by the rules and offered their help to others in the community.

It's really too bad to hear the store seems to be picked clean already. I was planning on checking it out before leaving town today... but now I'm having second thoughts. I just wanted a few blu rays. :(

I'm going to take a swing by today and see what's what..Will keep people posted. Not getting hopes too far up, though.

I remember yesterday that a few people picked up empty coke crates and loaded it up games and dvd. When I left the store there was an old man stuffing a fairly big card board box full of dvds. I think some of the stuff is turning up on kijiji and ebay.

Hey guys, i managed to grab a whole crate-load of games from the big Heritage closing on Monday morning! I anyone's interested, I'll let you guys have them for, say, $5 under retail price! Figure I'd give y'all first crack before I sell them all on eBay... ;)

[quote name='JetEngineJesus']Hey guys, i managed to grab a whole crate-load of games from the big Heritage closing on Monday morning! I anyone's interested, I'll let you guys have them for, say, $5 under retail price! Figure I'd give y'all first crack before I sell them all on eBay... ;)[/QUOTE]

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or just a big douche move.

[quote name='refraxion']I can't tell if this is sarcasm or just a big douche move.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha ha!! Don't worry--he's pushing your buttons. :lol:

[quote name='JetEngineJesus']Hey guys, i managed to grab a whole crate-load of games from the big Heritage closing on Monday morning![/QUOTE]
Suuuuure you did JetEngineJesus. Just one crate? I didn't realize this was amateur hour... ;)

[quote name='collector42']Suuuuure you did JetEngineJesus. Just one crate? I didn't realize this was amateur hour... ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, MAN, I picked up 7 copies of Barbie's Horse Adventure if you guys want it! The T.I.V. on it is, like, $27 at BBV right now; I'll let them go for $25. PM if you're interested! :applause:

[/QUOTE]

Wow. What a great idea. The next time something like this happens, I will round up my roommate. We would get giant hampers and put all the games in them.

Once my hampers are full, I would haul them to the corner of the store and proclaim "Okay people. Let us go about this civilly. I am going to sort through these titles, and will holler them out one at a time. Those who want a copy of that specific game, come to me. Anyone being a douche won't get a copy. Anyone hoarding go die in a fire. No one will get more than one copy unless there are extras. If this shit gets out of hand, I will just buy all of these games and be off with it."

Yeah, maybe I'm just being naïvely idealistic and would probably be mauled to death by angry hoarders.

But my god, it would be a way better system. The managers and employees would be smart to do something like that. Would be way easier to maintain and they would probably sell more of their copies, even if would take a bit more time.

In fact, I think I may propose to them such a system if a store near me ever closes. Again, I doubt it would work, but might as well give it a shot.

[quote name='Alexisonfire']Wow. What a great idea. The next time something like this happens, I will round up my roommate. We would get giant hampers and put all the games in them.

Once my hampers are full, I would haul them to the corner of the store and proclaim "Okay people. Let us go about this civilly. I am going to sort through these titles, and will holler them out one at a time. Those who want a copy of that specific game, come to me. Anyone being a douche won't get a copy. Anyone hoarding go die in a fire. No one will get more than one copy unless there are extras. If this shit gets out of hand, I will just buy all of these games and be off with it."

Yeah, maybe I'm just being naïvely idealistic and would probably be mauled to death by angry hoarders.

But my god, it would be a way better system. The managers and employees would be smart to do something like that. Would be way easier to maintain and they would probably sell more of their copies, even if would take a bit more time.

In fact, I think I may propose to them such a system if a store near me ever closes. Again, I doubt it would work, but might as well give it a shot.[/QUOTE]
Or they could just set it to a limit of 6 games per person and no duplicate titles allowed. Problem solved.

Yeah, but where's the fun in that. And it doesn't really stop them from coming back.

And I'm no hoarder, but I've walked out of closing stores with more than 6 games before. Not many more, mind you. But I guess 6 cheap games is still a lot.

[quote name='Alexisonfire']Yeah, but where's the fun in that. And it doesn't really stop them from coming back.

And I'm no hoarder, but I've walked out of closing stores with more than 6 games before. Not many more, mind you. But I guess 6 cheap games is still a lot.[/QUOTE]
Fine, maybe it 8 or 10 then. It would still avoid the people snapping up dozens at a time. The no dupe rule is important too I think. I bet those first guys got 4 or 5 copies of all the premium games which left none for the next guys.

Ya I guess they could come back, but the line ups are generally so long by the time they get through them the premium titles will have been picked up by other folks.

Anyway, ya just throwing ideas out there. It's not like anyone from RP is reading this thread I'm sure. I guess a CAG could go talk to a store manager a week or so before closing to suggest it though.

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']Fine, maybe it 8 or 10 then. It would still avoid the people snapping up dozens at a time. The no dupe rule is important too I think. I bet those first guys got 4 or 5 copies of all the premium games which left none for the next guys.

Ya I guess they could come back, but the line ups are generally so long by the time they get through them the premium titles will have been picked up by other folks.

Anyway, ya just throwing ideas out there. It's not like anyone from RP is reading this thread I'm sure. I guess a CAG could go talk to a store manager a week or so before closing to suggest it though.[/QUOTE]

Technically that is an invalid statement lol
Maybe "it's not like anyone that matters from RP is reading this" =P

Just a heads up. Today is the beginning of the close out for both Clareview and North Gate in Edmonton. The stores are going to be slammed, but I just thought I'd let everyone know who wasn't already aware.

Thanks for the notice. I passed this time around. I like a good deal but I would have had to take time off work. That and I didn't want to get trampled in a game riot.

hey guys, if you guys wanna head down there together, I can get some boxes from work and we can go all GOON SQUAD ON THAT BITCH! CLEAN 'ER OUT! There's a copy of Barbie's Horse Adventures at EB that I've been wanting to get my hands on FOR FREE, Y'ALL!!!
BOOOOOYAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

[quote name='JetEngineJesus']hey guys, if you guys wanna head down there together, I can get some boxes from work and we can go all GOON SQUAD ON THAT BITCH! CLEAN 'ER OUT! There's a copy of Barbie's Horse Adventures at EB that I've been wanting to get my hands on FOR FREE, Y'ALL!!!
BOOOOOYAAAAAHHHH!!!!!![/QUOTE]
For some reason I never tire of your asinine commentary... :lol:

bread's done
Back