EGM April Reviews & Rumors(with new rating system)

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Rumors:

- Dead Rising 2 is in development, but is not being created in L.A.(last issue mentioned it was being created in L.A.)
- Crackdown 2 is not being developed. Even if it does get made, the original developer(Realtime Worlds) will not be developing it.
- Resident Evil 5 might be ahead of development & will be released this Holiday season.
- EA is planning a MMA game. It will not be with the UFC license, since THQ is creating a new UFC game.
- Sony, along with Konami, Capcom & Square-Enix are creating a ton of unique games for the PSP this Holiday season.
- A Patapon spin-off will be showing up on the PSN soon.
- The delay for Wii Fit in the U.S. is due to Nintendo making a more durable board for the release here(please insert fatty joke here).

Reviews:

Multiplatform:
Obscure: The Aftermatch- D+, D, D+ Shame of the Month
MLB 2K8- B, B-, B
Dynasty Warriors 6- C, D+, D+
Condemned 2: Bloodshot- A-, B+, B
Sega Superstar Tennis- B-, C+, C

Wii:
Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed - C+, D+, C+
No More Heroes- B, A-, B-

Xbox 360:
Lost Odyssey- B+, B-, B

DS:
Professor Layton & The Curious Village- A-, B+, A-
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword- A-, A-, B+
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney- A-, B+, A-
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates- A, B-, B-

PSP:
God of War: Chains of Olympus- A, A-, A- GOTM
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII- B+, B+, A-

Cover story is on GTA 4. This issue also marks Shoe's last issue as EiC, James Mielke will be EGM EiC starting next issue.

was there no ps3 only reviews?

2 b's and a b - for mlb is decent 2k7 had a 79% avg on gamerankings, and 2k6 had a 63% avg.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Interesting, seems like there are some big change ups this issue. But what's the April Fools joke?[/quote]

- Resident Evil 5 might be ahead of development & will be released this Holiday season.

They Toy with my heart.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I can't wait for Condemned 2. But I'll have to because I want a PC version. :cry:[/quote]

Only Suckas play PC games.

Consoles FTW.

OP-- can you post details from the Ninja Gaiden DS review? A quick list of pros and cons would do. :)

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Interesting, seems like there are some big change ups this issue. But what's the April Fools joke?[/quote]

I think its Lego Halo.

Also, anyone else not digging the new rating system?

[quote name='Apossum']OP-- can you post details from the Ninja Gaiden DS review? A quick list of pros and cons would do. :)[/quote]

Basically all 3 reviews say the same thing:

Pros:

Innovative gameplay
Good graphics
Much easier than Ninja Gaiden/Black/Sigma

Cons:

The game is too short

And yes, the April Fools Joke this year was Lego Halo.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Basically all 3 reviews say the same thing:

Pros:

Innovative gameplay
Good graphics
Much easier than Ninja Gaiden/Black/Sigma

Cons:

The game is too short[/QUOTE]

I figured that would be the big con. Did they say anything about replay value?

an interview with the dev said that it would be short, but they wanted people to play through it multiple times.

holy shit, Milkman is the new EIC? That's badass, as i've always seen his reviews as a pretty good match to my gaming.

The new rating system doesn't seem to make much sense. From the sound of it, it is jsut a regular old .5 based scale but oo with letters instead of numbers.

:pray: @ RE5 being ready in time for the Holidays.[quote name='Scorch']:rofl::rofl::rofl:[/quote]

Ouch. :(

I wonder how its going to react when the mega obese people like myself get on it. :(

[quote name='Apossum']Thanks :)

I figured that would be the big con. Did they say anything about replay value?[/quote]

Nope, nothing about replay. All 3 were basically complaining about the game being short and had nothing to comment on replay(sounds like there isn't that much unlockables then).

[quote name='tiredfornow']:pray: @ RE5 being ready in time for the Holidays.

I wonder how its going to react when the mega obese people like myself get on it. :([/QUOTE]

QFT. I ain't going anywhere near Wii Fit. Maybe they should rename it Wii Fat for the US?

[quote name='tiredfornow']:pray: @ RE5 being ready in time for the Holidays.

I wonder how its going to react when the mega obese people like myself get on it. :([/QUOTE]

"There is no hope! Get to a hospital now!"

I'll put you on my shoulders and we'll make Wii Fat history, hankmejerkme.

I'm like, 430 pounds or so, so add that to whatever you weigh and we'll be doing jumping jacks/board balancing for 200+ years. :(

[quote name='tiredfornow']I'll put you on my shoulders and we'll make Wii Fat history, hankmejerkme.

I'm like, 430 pounds or so, so add that to whatever you weigh and we'll be doing jumping jacks/board balancing for 200+ years. :([/QUOTE]

If we don't die in the first few sessions, that is. I can see it on CNN now.

"Wii Dead : 2 morbidly obese men die playing Wii Fit."

Koreans may be known for their MMORPG stamina, but have they tried to do 20 jumping jacks while weighing 400+ pounds. I think not.

Well apparently the max for the Japanese board was about 300 lbs (from Cheapy's video), so I mean....damn. Are they going to reinforce it to 500 or something? Give it some steel crossbars or some shit? You can only make a little plastic board hold so much weight. If you weigh over 300, you should probably start with something else first...

[quote name='SpazX']Well apparently the max for the Japanese board was about 300 lbs (from Cheapy's video), so I mean....damn. Are they going to reinforce it to 500 or something? Give it some steel crossbars or some shit? You can only make a little plastic board hold so much weight. If you weigh over 300, you should probably start with something else first...[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they were having some break even in Japan, and decided they had to improve it some how for the country that leads the world in obesity.

[quote name='InuFaye']- Resident Evil 5 might be ahead of development & will be released this Holiday season.

They Toy with my heart.[/QUOTE]

No, it's Lego Halo. Pretty lame prank.

As excited as I am for RE5 possibly being ready for this holiday, I then remember that BOTH RE2 and RE4 were horrendously delayed and ended up being amazingly wonderful. The other sequels came out on time and were... good, but not amazing.

Point is, I get worried when things are AHEAD in development, which is usually a sign that it's going to be rushed, not that it's going so well that they don't need more time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Perhaps they were having some break even in Japan, and decided they had to improve it some how for the country that leads the world in obesity.[/quote]

I know the US leads the world in obesity, but for my height I'm obese (5' 9", 200 lbs, I'm actually right on the border since I think around 200 is the threshold for obese) and it's 100lbs short of that 300lb max. I'd imagine that 300lb max is somewhat conservative, as most things are made, so it could really probably take like 350 or something (just speculating).

Are there really that many people here who weigh over 300 lbs?

[quote name='SpazX']I know the US leads the world in obesity, but for my height I'm obese (5' 9", 200 lbs, I'm actually right on the border since I think around 200 is the threshold for obese) and it's 100lbs short of that 300lb max. I'd imagine that 300lb max is somewhat conservative, as most things are made, so it could really probably take like 350 or something (just speculating).

Are there really that many people here who weigh over 300 lbs?[/QUOTE]

Problem could be the 300lb max wasn't really working. i.e. it was breaking for people under that weight. Who knows.

There are a lot of people in the US over 300 lbs, definitely more than anywhere else. But it's hard to imagine how many of those people would buy Wii Fit.

Most people that obese need to diet and lose some weight before doing much excercise. Lot of stress on the joints other wise. Or do lighter, non-impact excercies like stationary bikes and what not.

The height/weight method of measuring obesity is hugely flawed. It really needs to go by body fat percentage.

Good god! The DS just had a powerhouse of games this month!

And LOL at Nintendo making more durable WiiFat boards. I'm gonna be pissed though if this means a higher price because of some fatasses.:bomb:

Looks like EGM is about to stop print soon from the sounds of Shoe leaving.

I have to imagine it's also to avoid more bad press and/or lawsuits from the classically sue friendly US audience.

'Nintendo is discriminating against big people!'

'The Wii Fit board broke under my weight and I fell over and hit my head on the coffee table!'

I mean, after the shitstorm that happened with stupid people throwing Wiimotes through their TVs, I have to imagine Nintendo is keen to avoid any sort of repeat.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney got good grades while none of the previous PW game got higher than a 8?

What was Game of the Month, or Gold or whatever they're using now?

Seems like God of War should be it?

Aw, I liked Shoe.

For something a bit less wii fit-oriented, the DS is awesome. I need to beat some DS games and get rid of them before getting more though. I still need to beat PW3 before picking up Apollo Justice. I thought that Ninja Gaiden was going to suck, but I guess I'll have to try that out some time as well. Professor Layton looks pretty awesome too....

I still need to beat fucking Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I haven't been playing too much DS lately so I have that, PW3, and Sonic Rush Adventure to beat before I think I'll get anymore games for it.

[quote name='keithp']What was Game of the Month, or Gold or whatever they're using now?

Seems like God of War should be it?[/quote]Yes, I got the issue today and God of War is the GotM.

[quote name='SpazX']I know the US leads the world in obesity, but for my height I'm obese (5' 9", 200 lbs, I'm actually right on the border since I think around 200 is the threshold for obese) and it's 100lbs short of that 300lb max. I'd imagine that 300lb max is somewhat conservative, as most things are made, so it could really probably take like 350 or something (just speculating).

Are there really that many people here who weigh over 300 lbs?[/quote]

I'm 430, but I'm happy so I don't care.

I'd imagine the weight limit estimate is for a person in a state of rest, meaning that they could be under the suggested limit and put too much force into the board and crack it or something along those lines. I could definately see problems with that, especially since its stood on.

I like how last month one of the rumors was that Dead Rising 2 is being developed by an LA developer, and this month the rumor is that Dead Rising 2 isn't being developed in LA. As long as it's in development they can't be wrong. :roll:

Every time I come close to buying a PSP, along comes another rumor or announcement about a port to the PS2 or PSN, this time Patapon. I wish Jeanne d'Arc would get a port, then I wouldn't have to think about possibly dropping $170 on a system that I'd rarely, if ever, take with me on the road.

[quote name='tangytangerine']That's what Game for Windows magazine is for.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I've always been glad EGM doesn't cover PC games, especially since they made the magazine so much shorter over the years. No space wasted on a gaming platform I never touch is a good thing. There are PC game mags out there for PC gamers.

[quote name='tangytangerine']That's what Game for Windows magazine is for.[/QUOTE]

Or GameInformer, if you wanted both in one mag.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']...letters?

I HATE CHANGE.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE[/quote]

changeoe7.jpg

bread's done
Back