EGM December 05: Next gen blowout, 360 questions answered, Soul Calibur 3 to XB360!

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
Once again, a big thanks to Ziff Davis for restricting my ability to use images from a magazine that people can read for free on a newsstand..

Cover: Revolution controller, 360 controller, PS3 controller.. EGM giving away 10 premium 360 packages

Interesting: Advertisement for Doom on mobile phones in the style of Doom and Doom 2.. with the original guy at the bottom, suprisingly.

They analyze the Revolution controller and how it will be used

Afterthoughts: Shadow of Colossus

(It should be noted that most of the pictures of games in the Next-Gen Update section are CG)

"Next-Gen Update" - PS3: MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, Genji 2, Fatal Inertia, Sonic the Hedgehog, Killzone 2, Project Assassins, The Getaway 3 (in the picture, Samsung and McDonalds ads are easily noticible), Lair, Motor Storm

Hands-On Preview: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, Quake 4

"Show and Tell": True Crime: NYC

"Next-Gen Update" - XB360: Mass Effect, Splinter Cell 4, Too Human, Perfect Dark Zero, Crackdown, Gears of War, 99 Nights, Cromehounds, Dead Rising, Alone in the Dark (!)

"XFaq 360".. I skipped the questions that we already know the answer to:

Q: How do I play XBox 1 games on 360?

A: After inserting an XBox disc into your 360 for the first time, the system will automatically connect to XBox Live and search for the latest emulation software to see if the game is backward compatible. It'll download the software to the hard drive (which you need to access the backward-compatibility feature) and begin the game. If you already have the software installed, the game will boot up like normal.

Q: How will we know which games are backward compatible?

A: XBox.com will host a list of all backward-compatible games.

Q: Can an XBox 360 gamer play an XBox 1 game online against someone playing it on the original XBox?

A: Yep. You can even exchange messages and invites as if you were both playing on the old system.

Q: Will the 360's custom-soundtrack feature support music purchased from iTunes?

A: Negative. Songs bought from iTunes use a proprietary format that the 360 won't recognize. The console will play songs ripped off of CDs to iTunes, but you'll need to download a free codec through the 360's dashboard.

Q: Will XBox 1 games that support custom soundtracks be able to access the music on my 360's hard drive, an attached MP3 player, or my network?

A: Unfortunately, no. XBox 1 games won't have access to the 360's custom-soundtrack features.

Q: How will gamers without hard drives get game-fixing patches? And what if downloadable content (like new levels) or patches are too big for memory cards down the line?

A: An 8-megabyte portion of the memory unit (and 256mb chunk of the hard drive) is reserved for system use to make sure 360 owners can download mandatory game updates and always connect over Live.

Q: Can I play unpatched games over Live?

A: No. Only the newest and most updated versions of each game will be playable over XBox Live.

Note: XBox 1 peripherals, like steering wheels, DDR dance-pads, and even the Steel Batallion controller are all useless on the 360. XBox 1 wireless adapters work.

Path of Neo preview.

My digital magazine thing just crashed, hang on.

OK, there we go.

Rumor mill: Death Jr. Sequel next year on both next-gen consoles and PSP, Gitaroo Man sequel in the works for PS2, Midnight Club 360 in the works, a special edition Soul Calibur 3 is headed to XB360 next spring, but no online play.. , Hideo Kojima is a huge fan of the Revolution controller and will be working with Nintendo on... (article ends there).

And now, everyone's favorite part: REVIEWS! High scorers are bolded. Red color = WTF reviews

Consoles:
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (XB, PS2): 8.5, 7.5, 8.5
Karaoke Revolution Party (PS2): 8.5, 9.0, 7.0
Sims 2 (PS2/XB/GC): 7.5, 6.5, 7.0
LA Rush (PS2/XB): 6.5, 6.5, 5.5
The Warriors (PS2/XB): 8.5, 8.0, 8.5
Brothers in Arms: Earned In Blood (PS2/XB): 7.5, 8.0, 9.5
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (XB/PS2): 8.0, 7.5, 7.0
Crash Tag Team Racing (PS2/XB/GC): 5.5, 3.0, 5.0
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (XB/PS2): 9.0, 8.0, 8.0
Without Warning (PS2/XB): 4.5, 5.0, 1.5
Blitz: The League (PS2/XB): 8.0, 8.0, 9.0
SSX On Tour (PS2/XB/GC): 8.0, 9.0, 8.0
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (PS2/XB/GC): 7.0, 7.5, 7.0
Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2): 8.0, 6.0, 8.0
Socom 3: US Navy Seals (PS2): 8.0, 8.0, 9.0
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2): 9.0, 8.0, 9.0

Jak X: Combat Racing (PS2): 7.0, 7.0, 6.5
Guitar Hero (PS2): 9.0, 9.0, 9.0
Soul Calibur 3 (PS2): 9.0, 9.0, 9.0
Romancing Saga (PS2): 7.0, 6.5, 5.0
Resident Evil 4 (PS2): 9.5, 9.5, 9.5
Fatal Frame III: The Tormented (PS2): 6.5, 7.5, 7.0
Trapt (PS2): 6.0, 6.5, 7.0
Suikoden Tactics (PS2): 7.0, 9.0, 6.0
Viewtiful Joe 2: Red Hot Rumble (GC): 4.5, 9.0, 6.0
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (GC): 7.0, 6.0, 7.0
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC): 8.5, 8.0, 8.0

Portables:
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PSP): 9.5, 9.0, 9.0
SSX On Tour (PSP): 7.0, 7.0, 8.5
The Con (PSP): 5.0, 2.5, 4.5
Metroid Prime Pinball (DS): 7.5, 7.0, 8.0
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble (DS): 8.0, 7.5, 7.0
Gunstar: Super Heroes (GBA): 7.5, 8.0, 7.5

Here's hoping EGM decides to send me this issue too. I've gotten them for 2 months in a row now. An what's up with that bizzare ass split on Red Hot Rumble?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Scorch thanks again for the EGM updates.

So how exactly are they preventing you from posting pics on CAG?[/QUOTE]

Either someone reported the post to them or they saw it and mentioned something about a legal case.. I didn't want Cheapy or myself to get in trouble, so I stopped posting them.

Sorry for not listing the GOTM's. The GOTM for December '05 is Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories.. which is funny, because RE4 scored higher.

I'm going to post one image, and it's just of text. This is the Viewtiful Joe: RHR review. Kathleen gave it a 4.5, Robert A. gave it a 9.0, and Matt gave it a 6.0.

vjrhr6kb.jpg

Gitaroo Man sequel in the works for PS2,

I don't know what's crazier-- a gitaroo man sequel or the fact that Koei is releasing a game other than dynasty warriors? I smell re-release...SELL SELL SELL :lol:

I'm kind of confused by the backwards compatiblitily of the 360. Will you have to have Live or an active internet connection to play Xbox games?

sounds like you need live. as lame as that would be, that's a great way to sell subscriptions.

Was the 1.5 review for Without Warning comical? or was it a bashing article? If so, I hope I get the mag this month, but I most likely won't since ZD a bunch of bastards.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Was the 1.5 review for Without Warning comical? or was it a bashing article? If so, I hope I get the mag this month, but I most likely won't since ZD a bunch of bastards.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing a bashing article since this game scored a 1.5 also in OXM, but i'll check..

Bashing. "The story and voice acting offered me several unintentional laughs, but inexcusable stupid elements, such as the unskippable cut-scenes and the inability to pick up fallen enemies' weapons, pair with rotten gameplay to make this one of the worst games i've played all year."

[quote name='Scorch']I'm guessing a bashing article since this game scored a 1.5 also in OXM, but i'll check..

Bashing. "The story and voice acting offered me several unintentional laughs, but inexcusable stupid elements, such as the unskippable cut-scenes and the inability to pick up fallen enemies' weapons, pair with rotten gameplay to make this one of the worst games i've played all year."[/QUOTE]
:sad: I like it when they make it a funny review in response to crappy games, like the Gameday reviews from OPM. Oh well, thanks for the heads up anyways.

[quote name='Apossum']I don't know what's crazier-- a gitaroo man sequel or the fact that Koei is releasing a game other than dynasty warriors? I smell re-release...SELL SELL SELL :lol:[/QUOTE]

If the Gitaroo Man sequel rumor is true, I hope that the re-relase the original before the sequal or even during.

[quote name='Apossum']sounds like you need live. as lame as that would be, that's a great way to sell subscriptions.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't the 360 come with a free version of Live? I'm sure you could get those emulation things with that version (at least i would hope you could).

I just realised both Namco and Sega are not gonna have online play for their big fighters (SC3 for this XB360 version, and VF5 for Sega, though that might just be the arcade version...). Why?! Did they catch the Nintendo bug or what, sheesh...even they saw the light in the end!

Why the big leap in scores on Suikoden Tactics?

Seems like one guy loved it, while the other two weren't as fond of it.

wow the review this moth makes it even harder to chose games. The scores for Suikoden Tactics and VJ GC basiclly tell us nothing. I dont need one reviewer saying what he thinks of another viewer. And how did RE4 not get GotM with the highest score?

[quote name='62t']. And how did RE4 not get GotM with the highest score?[/QUOTE]

They probably don't give GOTM to ports.

[quote name='Roufuss']They probably don't give GOTM to ports.[/QUOTE]
Why wouldn't they? If it's still great on the second system who cares if it won on a previous system? I think San Andreas won it on both PS2 and Xbox, though I'm not completely sure on that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why wouldn't they? If it's still great on the second system who cares if it won on a previous system? I think San Andreas won it on both PS2 and Xbox, though I'm not completely sure on that.[/QUOTE]

Just assuming, since I know some other magazines (like Game Informer) don't give it to ports. I guess they think the award is given for the game itself, regardless of system, and that it shouldn't win it twice based on that?

Not sure though, but it's the only reason I can think of.

[quote name='Roufuss']Just assuming, since I know some other magazines (like Game Informer) don't give it to ports. I guess they think the award is given for the game itself, regardless of system, and that it shouldn't win it twice based on that?

Not sure though, but it's the only reason I can think of.[/QUOTE]
To what I think EGM's reasoning would be, if that game is the best one you could get that month, regardless of if it was on a previous platform, it should still get the award.

No 360 reviews huh? No EGM reviews before release.

Interesting.

Now I know what my only current gen title is going to be this month. Guitar Hero.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']No 360 reviews huh? No EGM reviews before release.

Interesting.

Now I know what my only current gen title is going to be this month. Guitar Hero.[/QUOTE]

They claim the first 360 reviews will be in the next issue, as well as reviews for Half-Life 2 XB and Stubbs, which didn't make it in time to be reviewed for this issue.

[quote name='Roufuss']Why the big leap in scores on Suikoden Tactics?

Seems like one guy loved it, while the other two weren't as fond of it.[/QUOTE]

OPSM wasn't too high on it either. It got 2.5 out of 5 stars.

[quote name='kill3r7']OPSM wasn't too high on it either. It got 2.5 out of 5 stars.[/QUOTE]

Ugh... looks like another failure for the series.

The first two games were so great, why can't they capture that again?

Guess I'll be picking this up for $20, just like Suikoden 3 and 4.

[quote name='Apossum']I don't know what's crazier-- a gitaroo man sequel or the fact that Koei is releasing a game other than dynasty warriors? I smell re-release...SELL SELL SELL :lol:[/QUOTE]

ROTK, Kessen, Dynasty Tactics, etc.

Dynasty Warriors is one of the best game franchises period. It has one of the largest replayability amounts of any game (I can't even count how many hours I put into DW4).

Dynasty Warriors > The shit Team Ninja cranks out

Go ahead, bring up Ninja Gaiden like the tool you are.

YOU FAIL

[quote name='The VGM']ROTK, Kessen, Dynasty Tactics, etc.

Dynasty Warriors is one of the best game franchises period. It has one of the largest replayability amounts of any game (I can't even count how many hours I put into DW4).

YOU FAIL[/QUOTE]

:hot: JEEEZZ!!! What's with all of the negativity? You like Dynasty Warriors... we get it.

That being said, I put my money on a Gitaroo Man sequel released with the original in a 2-pack, much like the PS2 version of Space Channel 5.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']:hot: JEEEZZ!!! What's with all of the negativity? You like Dynasty Warriors... we get it. [/QUOTE]

Stay out of this. This is between me and the DOA lover over there.

I predict him doing some weak shit like pulling up ratings.

[quote name='teh VGM']ROTK, Kessen, Dynasty Tactics, etc.

YOU FAIL [/quote]

And Gitaroo Man is the best game out of all of those.

besides, who cares about replayability when a new one comes out every 5 minutes?

[quote name='Professor Oreo']:hot: JEEEZZ!!! What's with all of the negativity? You like Dynasty Warriors... we get it.

That being said, I put my money on a Gitaroo Man sequel released with the original in a 2-pack, much like the PS2 version of Space Channel 5.[/QUOTE]

just look through his post history, he's clearly in love with me. :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']And Gitaroo Man is the best game out of all of those.

besides, who cares about replayability when a new one comes out every 5 minutes?[/QUOTE]

Gitaroo Man is stupid as fuck. Your exaggerations are terrible, 5 minutes =/ 1 year.

I played 4 and wasn't finished with it even after 5 came out.

Go backpacking and fall off a cliff.

[quote name='The VGM']Gitaroo Man is stupid as fuck. Your exaggerations are terrible, 5 minutes =/ 1 year.

Go backpacking and fall off a cliff.[/QUOTE]

if someone switched out 5 with 4 you wouldn't know the difference!

go get a compound femur fracture playing basketball.

let's keep your OT insults and general wrongness about everything in the fighting game thread plz k thx :)

[quote name='Apossum']if someone switched out 5 with 4 you wouldn't know the difference!

go get a compound femur fracture playing basketball.

let's keep your OT insults and general wrongness about everything in the fighting game thread plz k thx :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say VGM but Apossum is right. While DW is fun the all are the same.

[quote name='The VGM']Gitaroo Man is stupid as fuck. Your exaggerations are terrible, 5 minutes =/ 1 year.

Go backpacking and fall off a cliff.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: You are easily the biggest tool on the boards.

I don't really trust Kathleen (VJ: red hot rumble) on reviews. If you look at her record she gives every game she has reviewed a lower score then the other reviewers score except for Nintendogs which she gave a 9.0 . Also if you read page 132, they say RE 4 does not count because it already won GOTM for the GCN release. They did the same thing for Splinter Cell: CT but often break their own rule.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']:rofl: You are easily the biggest tool on the boards.[/QUOTE]

You love me.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Sorry to say VGM but Apossum is right. While DW is fun the all are the same.[/QUOTE]

Swallow the razor.

EGM cant review games anymore. Theyre always giving games 7.5 7.5 7.5 7.5 7.5

I remember when Castlevania for ps2 got a 7.0 and space channel 5 got a 9.0. Rediculous.

About Soul Calibur III...I thought Microsoft was requiring that EVERY 360 game be presented in hi-def and have Xbox Live functionality. Does 'functionality' not necessarily mean actual on-line play or am I missing something?

Yeah it basically means every game will be "Live Aware" at a minimum. I am just glad I won't have to play it with crappy Playstation graphics.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Yeah it basically means every game will be "Live Aware" at a minimum. I am just glad I won't have to play it with crappy Playstation graphics.[/QUOTE]

Right, meaning you'll see what someone's playing. Kinda like Riddick or Fable, you can see them on Live, or like Metal Slug 3, you can upload scores, but there's no multiplayer functionality. Though i'm sure someone could rig it up if it supports system link.

bread's done
Back