EGM December 2007 Reviews & Rumors

[quote name='PyroGamer']I preffer how my GFW mag (which also came today) rated them. 10/10 Episode 2, 9/10 Portal, 9/10 TF2.

They really should be considered two or three separate games. Gaming mags shouldn't be about telling you what's the best value, they should rate based on quality alone. Essentially we're talking about ART here, not A/V hardware or something like that.

Either way, Orange Box is one of the most amazing titles in recent history, both in terms of quality and value, and could hardly ever be overrated.[/quote]
I completely agree. I said on the first page of this thread that I would have preferred they reviewed them separately but you can't expect EMG to have 15 reviews (5 games with 3 reviews each) for one box.

And your right about not reviewing games like a consumer report. That's why Shawn Elliot (the GFW reviewer who reviewed the new orange box games) is my favorite reviewer. The way he writes about games is the same why he talks about them. You understand what's good and what's bad about a game but it reads like a guy just talking about playing it.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I preffer how my GFW mag (which also came today) rated them. 10/10 Episode 2, 9/10 Portal, 9/10 TF2.[/quote]

Yeah, it seemed EGM was tight for space, so it got a 2 page review. While GFW gave them individual reviews & about 6 pages. BTW, this is the first Halo game EGM reviewed that hasn't been split up in 2 different reviews for multiplayer & campaign.

The more I read GFW, it seems like it's written by & for adults. While EGM seems like it's being written for a high school newspaper compared to GFW.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord'] I think I signed up for EGM when Joystiq had a free offer a few weeks back. Hopefully I'll get this issue soon.[/QUOTE]

Check with this link to see if it worked:
http://www.zdmcirc.com

I tried too and it hasn't gone through. Even if it does, I doubt it would be this issue, mostly likely it'll be January's issue.

Thanks for the link. It says I have 10 issues remaining. That sounds like I should have gotten one last month(?).

I agree with you about GFW. Shawn Elliot and Robert Ashley have such a unique way of writing about games. And they have a great pool of freelancers.

The only other mag I've had was GI and it was always review/preview by numbers. They had good interviews (GFW has some great ones too) but GI's features were always lacking substance. I haven't read EGM yet but I like a bunch of the editors so I'm looking forward to reading the mag.

wow. totally wasn't expecting the low scores for jericho.

other than that, if the it's a wonderful life rumor is true, EPIC WIN.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Yeah, it seemed EGM was tight for space, so it got a 2 page review. While GFW gave them individual reviews & about 6 pages. BTW, this is the first Halo game EGM reviewed that hasn't been split up in 2 different reviews for multiplayer & campaign. [/quote]Wow. That makes it seem even worse. They're willing to split up Halo and Halo 2 into SP and MP reviews, but they can't even split up the review scores when we're actually talking about seperate games?

I mean, they have 3 different review scores... why not just put each of their three reviewers on a single title?

The more I read GFW, it seems like it's written by & for adults. While EGM seems like it's being written for a high school newspaper compared to GFW.
GFW is definitely my favorite gaming mag I'm subscribed to right now. Beats out even GameInformer back in its glory days. And I don't even own a PC.

Apparently I have 14 issues of EGM, 15 GFW and 39 PC Mag issues left :D

[quote name='SL4IN']wow. totally wasn't expecting the low scores for jericho.[/quote]
If you haven't noticed by the scores, it's also nabbed their "shame of the month" award. Review said something about the lackluster graphics & gameplay for a next gen game. Didn't really read that much of the review since all 3 reviewers complain about the same crap.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I preffer how my GFW mag (which also came today) rated them. 10/10 Episode 2, 9/10 Portal, 9/10 TF2.

They really should be considered two or three seperate games. Gaming mags shouldn't be about telling you what's the best value, they should rate based on quality alone. Essentially we're talking about ART here, not A/V hardware or something like that.

Either way, Orange Box is one of the most amazing titles in recent history, both in terms of quality and value, and could hardly ever be overrated.[/quote]
Isn't that because you can buy all of the Orange Box games separately on the PC, so it makes sense to rate them separately?

[quote name='tangytangerine']If you haven't noticed by the scores, it's also nabbed their "shame of the month" award. Review said something about the lackluster graphics & gameplay for a next gen game. [/QUOTE]
I think the review said something about "vomiting blood out of frustration".
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Isn't that because you can buy all of the Orange Box games separately on the PC, so it makes sense to rate them separately?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but they also happen to be sepereate games, which is another reason why it "makes since to rate them seperately", even if they're only available bundled. Especially if you're in the habit of even rating the SP and MP components of a game seperately.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I think the review said something about "vomiting blood out of frustration".

Yes, but they also happen to be sepereate games, which is another reason why it "makes since to rate them seperately", even if they're only available bundled. Especially if you're in the habit of even rating the SP and MP components of a game seperately.[/quote]
To a degree, sure, but for mags that have little room for the games they need to review, splitting up compilations is just taking away room for other games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']To a degree, sure, but for mags that have little room for the games they need to review, splitting up compilations is just taking away room for other games.[/QUOTE]
I realize perfectly well that it's reasonable to rate them together, but IMO I like them reviewed seperately better.

Of course, GFW would definitely review them seperately since they're available seperately, but they also have plenty of room in their review section.

[quote name='PyroGamer']I realize perfectly well that it's reasonable to rate them together, but IMO I like them reviewed seperately better.

Of course, GFW would definitely review them seperately since they're available seperately, but they also have plenty of room in their review section.[/quote]
Well yeah, it would be nice to know what's worth it and what's not in a compilation, though it seems like everything in the Orange Box is top notch stuff.

bread's done
Back