Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (360) - $49.99 at Amazon

Yeah, there was a rumor that it was supposed to be in the latest batch of platinum hits, but it wasn't included. Not sure if I should bite now, or hold out for a 29.99 price.

[quote name='NolbertoS']When is the Game of the Year Edition coming out?? I'm waiting for that.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. It seems like such an obvious choice for some value-added content on a PH release, I can't believe none has come yet. I was sure we'd at least have a price drop once the superior PS3 version came out. Not to seem ungrateful, but $10 off MSRP doesn't seem like a particularly great deal for any 13 month-old game that doesn't come with a guitar-shaped controller, no matter how good.

Agreed, biting now could mean missing out on a budget edition with even more content included at no extra charge.

I can wait until the $30 GOY w/Shivering Isles included edition comes out..

[quote name='gunm']

I can wait until the $30 GOY w/Shivering Isles included edition comes out..[/quote]

If anything it would be $60 GOY w/SI. But I highly doubt they would sell it for $30.

I agree with the sentiments here. I want this game badly, but it's just so close to getting a price drop.

I'd buy either the original for $30, or one with some expansions for $60.

you can probably get that price off the amazon marketplace on a normal day... people should use it more.

[quote name='lordwow']I agree with the sentiments here. I want this game badly, but it's just so close to getting a price drop.

I'd buy either the original for $30, or one with some expansions for $60.[/quote]
I'm in agreement there.

[quote name='life.exe']If anything it would be $60 GOY w/SI. But I highly doubt they would sell it for $30.[/quote]

Oh if it ever comes out, it will get there eventually. Like I said, I can wait...

I kicked myself before when I missed out on an auction on Ebay for BIN $25 and free shipping. I waited a few minutes to press the BIN button and when I did, it had been sold.

Anyway, as previously posted, keep checking Amazon marketplace. A few days after I missed the auction, I was able to find a CE for $27 shipped. It didn't have the coin in it, but who really cares? The rest of it was mint, game looked brand new.

I had not played it until I got it, only read reviews. My big hang up was most RPGs don't keep my attention very long. Now that I have it, I wished I would have coughed up full price for it long ago, it's that good. I have not even tried the expansions yet.

[quote name='gunm']Agreed, biting now could mean missing out on a budget edition with even more content included at no extra charge.

I can wait until the $30 GOY w/Shivering Isles included edition comes out..[/quote]

They've said specifically (Bestheda) that with the way expansion content works on the 360, it HAS to be downloaded: they cannot and have no plans to offer SI on any disc type format for 360 either bundled with the original or standalone. It's a tech issue with the 360, or at least so they say. I'm not sure they could even get the smaller downloadable content on the same disc or not the way they phrased it, but SI is specifically out of the question, straight out of the horses mouth, unless something changes with the tech.

[quote name='SailorDaravon']They've said specifically (Bestheda) that with the way expansion content works on the 360, it HAS to be downloaded: they cannot and have no plans to offer SI on any disc type format for 360 either bundled with the original or standalone.[/QUOTE]
Either you misunderstood, or the person speaking didn't know what they were talking about. The Offical Xbox Magazine disc came with Oblivion DLC for free (Wizard's Tower and Thieves Guild). The limitation is that it needs to be copied to the HD, and is open to piracy. I can take the disc to any 360 and load up the content. That's why they don't want to do it very often, not that they can't

[quote name='SailorDaravon']They've said specifically (Bestheda) that with the way expansion content works on the 360, it HAS to be downloaded: they cannot and have no plans to offer SI on any disc type format for 360 either bundled with the original or standalone. It's a tech issue with the 360, or at least so they say. I'm not sure they could even get the smaller downloadable content on the same disc or not the way they phrased it, but SI is specifically out of the question, straight out of the horses mouth, unless something changes with the tech.[/quote]

Never say never. Maybe it won't ever get released on disc, but I still call BS on that as they could easily stick it on a second disc and package it all up in one nice, neat set, if it doesn't fit on one.

[quote name='gunm']Never say never. Maybe it won't ever get released on disc, but I still call BS on that as they could easily stick it on a second disc and package it all up in one nice, neat set, if it doesn't fit on one.[/QUOTE]
If it all fits on one, I think you're very likely to see it in a combined edition. If it doesn't, I wouldn't be so sure, unless they came up with some solution to the trivial piracy.

I want this game...but still trying to figure out if I want the PC or 360 version. Any advice? A little off topic...I know...

PC has mods and even an unofficial patch to the SI refID bug.
360 has... achievements?

I'm only going to bother with the 360 version because my PC can't run it.

A "full" Oblivion repackaging (supposedly this fall) that includes every piece of downloadable content has been confirmed for weeks. Bethesda announced this after people complained that those without an internet connection could not access the DLC.

[quote name='Damian']Either you misunderstood, or the person speaking didn't know what they were talking about. The Offical Xbox Magazine disc came with Oblivion DLC for free (Wizard's Tower and Thieves Guild). The limitation is that it needs to be copied to the HD, and is open to piracy. I can take the disc to any 360 and load up the content. That's why they don't want to do it very often, not that they can't[/quote]

according to statements made by senior game designer Bruce Nesmith during an interview with Gamertag Radio, if sold at retail, the expansion would have to be included with the full game, forcing many fans to re-purchase Oblivion. This is "not really an ideal situation," admitted Nesmith, explaining that current Microsoft limitations do not offer an alternative.
There's also been seperate interviews at 1up and somewhere else (IGN?) where they said they can't just offer SI on it's own disc for 360 with the way extra content works on the 360. I'm guessing it has something to do with the size of it maybe.

Edit: Crunchberry beat me to my other point.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']A "full" Oblivion repackaging (supposedly this fall) that includes every piece of downloadable content has been confirmed for weeks. Bethesda announced this after people complained that those without an internet connection could not access the DLC.[/QUOTE]
I've seen Bethesda say they would like to do it, but I've seen no confirmation that it would be done. That's more of Microsoft's decision. Do you have a source for that info?

[quote name='Damian']I've seen Bethesda say they would like to do it, but I've seen no confirmation that it would be done. That's more of Microsoft's decision. Do you have a source for that info?[/quote]

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/03/08/shivering-isles-to-be-released-at-retail/

I'm mainly wondering what they're going to price it at. Oblivion should be $29.99 by then anyway, but at the same time people who already bought Oblivion then dropped another $30 on SI are going to be pissed if this compilation comes out at $29.99, not to mention it could potentially hurt their sales of SI now. Maybe a $49.99 tag that comes with everything on it?

[quote name='SailorDaravon']There's also been seperate interviews at 1up and somewhere else (IGN?) where they said they can't just offer SI on it's own disc for 360 with the way extra content works on the 360. I'm guessing it has something to do with the size of it maybe. [/QUOTE]
RIght, you misunderstood. There's no technical limitation. It's because "the way it works" provides no copyright protection to content released on a disc because expansion content has to be copied to the hard drive and there would be no way of stopping you from copying it into everyone you know's 360.

[quote name='SailorDaravon']There's also been seperate interviews at 1up and somewhere else (IGN?) where they said they can't just offer SI on it's own disc for 360 with the way extra content works on the 360. I'm guessing it has something to do with the size of it maybe.

Edit: Crunchberry beat me to my other point.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it's a size issue. I think it's an issue of how you'd install it on your system, and give it to a friend, who'd give it to a friend, who'd trade it in to Gamestop, who'd sell it for $1... since everyone would've traded it in as soon as they installed it. It's just not realistic.

Bethesda could offer all the existing DLC for free when they get around to releasing a collected Oblivion package. So that a.) you'd need an Oblivion disc (old or new) to even use the DLC, and b.) nobody could trade around a potential second disc illegally if it the data on it was free on the Marketplace anyway. Then they lose out on the cash cow of Marketplace nickel & diming (Horse Armor is STILL 200 points!?), but can still sell copies of Oblivion. Only downside it that would all but force the collected re-release to be $50-60 to break even and maybe having the old version become the mysteriously absent Platinum Hits version.

quite frankly I just expected a one-use code to be provided with it, they do that all the time. so it's included with the game, but it's not on the disk.

gets past piracy/re-use/yadda-yadda as it simply included a tokenized DLC

doesn't help those not getting online tho, it would (or at least should) state somewhere need xbox-live (not gold) to get on and get/make-use of it

bread's done
Back