Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Ozzkev55

CAGiversary!
Having never played a Elder Scrolls game, one might wonder why I might create a thread about it.

If you really care about why I created this thread, read on, if not skip ahead
I ignored this game for the most part at E3, and pretty much up until a week ago...when I bought this months OXM(with disc) at a upstate Wal-Mart store. After smashing a couple of hours worth of Battlefield play into it(which was great, I might add), I decided to check out the developer interviews in the XBOX360 section. After looking through the majority of them, I saw the video for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion...and all I had to say was holy shit, can this be...
The game is set to feature 24 hour NPC AI Scheduling. Loosely defined it means that every non-playable charecter, would instead of standing on a corner all day, like some Vegas prostitute, would instead live a daily life, a dynamic life. Which I found very exciting, but very questionable as to how far it would work.

The game also features, from what i've heard, living landscapes. A living landscape is basically where the trees, and plants grow naturally. Now I dont know if it is scripted, or AI but either way its pretty impresssive.

The game is also going to feature Dynamic Conversations. That means that all conversations would vary depending on whats going on in the world, and the relationship between the people they are talking to. Yet another impressive feature
So basically this is a hype thread, with some links for you to enjoy...and hopefully for further comments, and questions regarding the game, to be posted...

Official Trailer(E3)

Producer Interview(video)

Producer Interview

NEW Producer Interview 2

Yea I seriously can't wait for this game. Morrowind was pretty cool but overwhlemed me with soooo much you could possibly do. This is probably one of my must have at launch titles when I buy the 360. The open style game play is sweet and the 24 hour NPC are cool also. I can't wait to pickpocket people while they are asleep.

Yeah, I watched that video. I'm very skeptical about it, especially when he mentions things like "You can shoot an arrow into a bucket.. then the bucket will tip a different way due to the weight of the arrow" and "NPC's may find a deer, kill it, and eat the meat".. I'll believe it when I see it, but if he can deliver on the NPC AI scheduling, it'll be absolutely amazing and it'll be hard for other games to beat that. I always overlooked this game and looked at things like Gears of War and Ghost Recon 3.. never stopped to look at this one, but the things said in the interview made me completely change my decision.. I think I might pick this one up on launch.

[quote name='Scorch']Yeah, I watched that video. I'm very skeptical about it, especially when he mentions things like "You can shoot an arrow into a bucket.. then the bucket will tip a different way due to the weight of the arrow" and "NPC's may find a deer, kill it, and eat the meat".. I'll believe it when I see it, but if he can deliver on the NPC AI scheduling, it'll be absolutely amazing and it'll be hard for other games to beat that. I always overlooked this game and looked at things like Gears of War and Ghost Recon 3.. never stopped to look at this one, but the things said in the interview made me completely change my decision.. I think I might pick this one up on launch.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is a mod out for Morrowind on the PC which gives the characters 24 hour NPC AI scheduling... I've not used it myself, but it got excellent reviews and ratings and sounded like it was done pretty well. They did basic stuff like go to the stores and buy items, sleep at the appropriate time... nothing too fancy like killing a deer and eating it.

If a modder can do it, I know for sure Bethesda can do it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Well, there is a mod out for Morrowind on the PC which gives the characters 24 hour NPC AI scheduling... I've not used it myself, but it got excellent reviews and ratings and sounded like it was done pretty well. They did basic stuff like go to the stores and buy items, sleep at the appropriate time... nothing too fancy like killing a deer and eating it.

If a modder can do it, I know for sure Bethesda can do it.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a link to the mod...and which Morrowind is it for?

[quote name='Roufuss']Well, there is a mod out for Morrowind on the PC which gives the characters 24 hour NPC AI scheduling... I've not used it myself, but it got excellent reviews and ratings and sounded like it was done pretty well. They did basic stuff like go to the stores and buy items, sleep at the appropriate time... nothing too fancy like killing a deer and eating it.

If a modder can do it, I know for sure Bethesda can do it.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a link to the mod?

your welcome...

an interesting statistic

being that the gameworld is 16 square miles long, and assuming that 75 % of it is walkable, and you run at a speed of 4 miles an hour, with a 10 foot line of sight. It would take you exactly 66 days of straight gameplay to see(let alone cover) the entire thing, assuming you do no backtracking

I will say that when seeing the videos for the game in the OXM disc. I did notice that some charecters seemed to glide, and that the action sequences were a bit off coreographically...Im ony saying this so that it doesnt seem that im kissing this games ass, and im more than positive that these problems will be fixed in the final build. In the meantime enjoy these screenshots, that you might have missed, as they were released yesterday...

Bad Ass Sauron-looking Dude

No Light Glow Here :)

My Personal Favorite

I'm going to go into a hermit-like seclusion once this game hits shelves... I'll probably grow a tramp beard, too.

For those of you who want to waiting for a 360 because of priceing, system revisions etc. And if you have a decent box, you can pick this game up for the pc.

[quote name='Theenternal']For those of you who want to waiting for a 360 because of priceing, system revisions etc. And if you have a decent box, you can pick this game up for the pc.[/QUOTE]
actually in the developers interview they said that they are making this game for hardware not available(retail-wise) for the PC , and that people would need to upgrade any current computers in order to support the game's awesome graphics...though I believe they said that current high end computers would be able to support the game, but not to its highest potential. However this was all based upon an early comment by the developer, and they may change the software...so who knows?

The console game is said to be live-aware, and will be(like all 360 games) available with a custom soundtrack options. So change out that Celtic, and classical scores with some Twisted Sister, and Beastie Boys and your good :)

ahhh you cant change the music, it takes away the whole experience, cuz when i played morrowind i thought i was a merchant in some wierd place called vanadiel and if i was listening to some real music in the game it would totally screw up my head!

[quote name='coolcps']ahhh you cant change the music, it takes away the whole experience, cuz when i played morrowind i thought i was a merchant in some wierd place called vanadiel and if i was listening to some real music in the game it would totally screw up my head![/QUOTE]
I was just kidding...but ill probably put some of my celctic CDs on there for variety, just in case, and maybe some chopin, and then switch in some Rob Zombie for battle sequences

i thought i heard some where that the game is also coming out for PS3. Does anyone know anything about this.

I'm still torn, but if this is XBox Only (like the last game) I may have to convert... (or just have to get an awesome new PC so i can also play the KICKASS mods)

I have almost no interest in the 360... as it stands, I'll get one hell of a desktop next year or two. And most 360 games will probably be released on a PC as well. And PC games drop in price so fast, I'll probably end up getting them on my shiny (future) PC.;-)

If I don't get a new desktop, guess I'll be buying a 360 to play ESIV.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']
The game is set to feature 24 hour NPC AI Scheduling. Loosely defined it means that every non-playable charecter, would instead of standing on a corner all day, like some Vegas prostitute, would instead live a daily life, a dynamic life. Which I found very exciting, but very questionable as to how far it would work.

The game is also going to feature Dynamic Conversations. That means that all conversations would vary depending on whats going on in the world, and the relationship between the people they are talking to. Yet another impressive feature
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg...6128767.html?q=1&tag=gs_xbox360_flashtop_read[/QUOTE]

Both of those to a point were featured in Morrowind, characters didn't have a 24 hour schedule but a number of less important characters would move between rooms throughout the game, I expect due to the need for quests 24 hour scheduling won't have them move that much further. Dynamic Conversations occurred quite frequently in morrowind, groups or factions that hated you would refuse to speak to you or answer certain questions, ranks and honors affected how people acknowledged you and quest completion affected responses.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Both of those to a point were featured in Morrowind, characters didn't have a 24 hour schedule but a number of less important characters would move between rooms throughout the game, I expect due to the need for quests 24 hour scheduling won't have them move that much further.[/QUOTE]
From the gamespot review of the orginal for the xbox
[quote name='Gamespot']You'll also notice how nonplayer characters in Morrowind generally just stand there, doing nothing. Even when you come visit them in a pub or in their homes, you'll never see them engaging in any activities whatsoever, which makes the world seem less alive than it could be[/QUOTE]
The developers interview said that they would be able to forage, and sleep. Im sure the developers will find a way to integrate the need for quests in this game...They stated that you could recieve a quest in the same manner of elder scrolls III.
[quote name='AlbinoNinja']i thought i heard some where that the game is also coming out for PS3. Does anyone know anything about this.[/quote]

as of yet the game is not scheduled to come out for the PS3...but who knows what my happen in the next few months

Well, if the game turns out to be as good as it sounds and looks, I may have to cancel my Gamefly account once it comes out because it will consume most of my gaming time it seems...

I saw the E3 trailer for this a few months ago, and it looked amazing, this is definetly going to be one of the games I buy

The Box Art
oblivion_xbox360_550.jpg

Yeah I am so pumped for this game. I didn't like Morrowind a lot because I just couldn't get over the fact that the combat sucked imo. But seeing as how the combat system has been completely revamped for Oblivion I am now waiting in eager anticipation for this to come out.

If anyone can do it Bethseda can.

Maybe a lot of you converts came around once this was available for the xbox but at their respective times each Elder Scrolls game pushed the limits of its time..

I have the whole series and recently picked up another daggerfall complete for PC.

Arena (the first of the series that was supposed to be only 3 games) was great for its time and sucked up hours upon hours of my and many of my friends lives. It was 3d and the mouse moved the sword. The levels were great and robbing people etc was classic. They had legitimetly hard riddles at the end of each (7? I forget now) main levels/quests.

The net wasnt used as much to cheat back then so figuring some of those out was very fun and challenging.

Then Daggerfall came out (not counting redgaurd) and it was another great step.

I picked up Morrowind upon release and never did finish it. Its almost to big of a game to finish with my limited play time. I start to forget what I have to do etc.

This new one in the series should be pretty good. All of them have been very solid titles.

[quote name='the3rdkey']I am still not completly sold on the 360. I will be getting this sweet game for the PC.[/QUOTE]

same here, but for me... spend $600 to upgrade my PC or $300 XBOX 360?

So fukk my PC... by the time I upgrade it... a year later... it's just goin to outdated again anyway...

Bethesda will deliver the goods on this game. Morrowind sounded too good to be true when it was announced, but as far as I can remember, they delivered every feature and then some. The 24 hour NPC thing sounds cool, but shooting someone with an arrow and having them fal down the steps (with ragdoll physics) is what I am waiting for. Rumors are still floating around about possbile downloads of the PC mods onto the 360 marketplace so it may be that the 360 gets the best of both worlds. They had a pretty sweet interview with the latest info that I will try to find the link for.

Anyone else getting a vibe that this pre-game hype is eerily similar to the pre-game hype for Fable? I doubt ESIV will fuck it up in such a spectacular fashion, but if it measures up it could be the system seller the 360 could really use until Halo 3

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']Anyone else getting a vibe that this pre-game hype is eerily similar to the pre-game hype for Fable? I doubt ESIV will fuck it up in such a spectacular fashion, but if it measures up it could be the system seller the 360 could really use until Halo 3

Dave[/QUOTE]
I really don't think Fable was that bad, probably because I never read about any of the features, but a lot of people that were following it seemed really upset with it.

With any game you can ruin it by reading everything and setting yourself up for hype..

The thing is Bestheda has been making this same type of game same viewpoint etc for years now. Probably close to over a decade or more ( I cant remember when Arena came out. Early 90's I believe)

They always improve and set new standards.

I dont think every last thing will happen but a lot of it will make it in some form or another. If not then something happened to the comapny..

Well...I always look for the negatives in upcoming games...this one has a problem with charecter animation movements, and fight coreography...there are other games that should be getting attention, for the 360, that arent. An example would be em enchant arm...see below

Official Trailer For Em Enchant Arm

[quote name='MightySlacker']Anyone else getting a vibe that this pre-game hype is eerily similar to the pre-game hype for Fable? I doubt ESIV will fuck it up in such a spectacular fashion, but if it measures up it could be the system seller the 360 could really use until Halo 3

Dave[/QUOTE]
A little, but Bethesda has a history of delivering quality games that meet or exceed expectations, and Peter Molyneux has a history of delivering half finished games and not meeting expectations.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Well...I always look for the negatives in upcoming games...this one has a problem with charecter animation movements, and fight coreography...there are other games that should be getting attention, for the 360, that arent. An example would be em enchant arm...see below

Official Trailer For Em Enchant Arm[/QUOTE]

I don't see any problem with the animations in Oblivion, and why should eNCHANT arM get attention, you showed us a video with no in-game footage. Anyone can make a trailer movie, but that has nothing to do with what the quality of the game will actually be.

Haven't played any of the Morrowind games, but this one at least looks amazing visually. Morrowind 3 sounded pretty solid on XBox, but I never got an XBox so I never had a chance to try it.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for the features too much. Dynamic conversations have really been around for years in RPG's, NPC's change what they are saying all the time in games as you progress, so this isn't too big of a feature in my opinion. The 24 hour AI is interesting though and if they can pay as much attention to detail such as which direction a bucket leans this will no doubt be a polished game. I will say that I'm intrigued to hear more about this game, and will probably pick it up if the reviews come in good for it. I like the idea of having a huge play area with a lot to do in it at will.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I don't see any problem with the animations in Oblivion, and why should eNCHANT arM get attention, you showed us a video with no in-game footage. Anyone can make a trailer movie, but that has nothing to do with what the quality of the game will actually be.[/QUOTE]
I actually had not seen this trailer...I linked the wrong one, but it is cool, from what previews I've read

This is probably the best looking launch game. It is tied with Call of Duty 2 for my most wanted games.

Ok I have a question Im torn now that I have seen the screenshots , xbox360 or PC. Is this game more of a pc type of game or is it more of a console . I plan on getting the 360 and a new gfx card for my pc so graphics wouldnt matter Im just curious as to how I should chose from the 2 .

That box art is so old, anyway, Bethesda said that they were going to answer some questions about the game this week.

bread's done
Back