Electronic Gaming Monthly Subscription???

chosen1s

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Ok, I know I'm out of touch, but EGM and Electronic Gaming Monthly didn't come up in my forum search so I apologize if my request is redundant.

And speaking of being out-of-touch, I was pleasantly shocked and surprised to see a brand new issue of EGM on the magazine rack the other day. I nearly bought it, but even as much as I want to support the new re-launch I couldn't stomach the $7 price tag.

So...after some quick reading I found that the magazine HAS officially relaunched (and apparently somewhat quietly as well). Anybody suggest a good (SAFE) location where I could renew my subscription? I googled EGM subscriptions and found one claiming 12 issues for $12, but I'm pretty skeptical about that one. At best it looks like it has probably been up since before EGM was shut down 1+ years back.

Thanks in advance

This is the official site to order from. You can subscribe for either 6 or 12 paper magizine which include 26 or 52 weekly online issues. Although the online issues have not been coming out weekly as stated. I ordered a 12 issue subscription on 5/14 and waiting for the first issue to arrive.

http://www.egmnow.com/subscribe

Whoa EGM is back now? I heard it was coming back but didn't know it was already out. I had a subscription with about a year left on it before the publication ended. Now that it's back does anyone know if it's possible to have my old subscription reinstated or would I have to pay for a new one?

i find it funny that egm stopped print magazines and screwed everybody who paid for a subscription and now their coming back and are charging again without reimbursing those that paid to originally get issues prior to the print magazine being discontinued, this is bs!!!!!

[quote name='hudster']i find it funny that egm stopped print magazines and screwed everybody who paid for a subscription and now their coming back and are charging again without reimbursing those that paid to originally get issues prior to the print magazine being discontinued, this is bs!!!!![/QUOTE]

Weren't all the subscriptions just fulfilled with other publications? I know I began mine as a FREE sub. but then was eventually paying when they ceased in early '09. I probably had about 6 issues left. I don't remember what took it's place though.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']Weren't all the subscriptions just fulfilled with other publications? I know I began mine as a FREE sub. but then was eventually paying when they ceased in early '09. I probably had about 6 issues left. I don't remember what took it's place though.[/QUOTE]

nope. My subscription was canceled. I received 3 magazines from my sub, and got an email stating that my sub was being canceled and that was it.

I would never give this company/magazine my money again.

[quote name='hudster']i find it funny that egm stopped print magazines and screwed everybody who paid for a subscription and now their coming back and are charging again without reimbursing those that paid to originally get issues prior to the print magazine being discontinued, this is bs!!!!![/QUOTE]

You're looking to blame Ziff Davis, not EGM.

I'm very interested in GamePro (John Davison) and EGM (old EGM/1UP people are contributing + a couple of other names I know) but I want to wait for at least some kind of discount.

It was actually Ziff Davis the company who owned the old EGM that screwed EGM, all their employees and all of us who had paid for their mag. I used to work for a TV station that was once owned by ZD, and they screwed all the station workers just like they screwed EGM. Ziff Davis is a horrible horrible company to work for. I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but toward the end of the old EGM you could really tell by the tone that a lot of the articles written had a ton of sarcasm, and some of the writers being very facetious in their writing. I think they knew the end was coming, and didn't seem to care about the quality toward the end. To me, Dan Hsu made that mag what it was. He is involved with the new EGM now too. I know he is one of the founders of http://www.bitmob.com/
and is still doing a lot on that site now.
I think $25 is a lot for 12 print issues. I have yet to see the digital issues, but can't imagine it is anything i can't read for free on IGN or 1UP.
It's late/early and I seem to be rambling...

EGM reader since way back at issue #2 here, and I have to say I'm lukewarm on the printed mag but the online one is awesome!! It is far beyond ign, Joystiq, Gamespot or the rest in style and content. I can see it being the future of game journalism. The print mag is not bad, and will get better (I expect).

Thanks for the info - that site looks a lot more reliable.

To those feeling "screwed" by EGM, Here's a concise summary: EGM was owned by a larger parent company who cared nothing for games and made the decision to kill the magazine. It was beyond their control and nobody at EGM benefited from it. It has since been resurrected by an owner with a personal history with EGM. If you want to give him (and EGM) a chance go for it. If you want to blame him and EGM for their former owner's stupidity, it's a free country but your hostility is misplaced and you are only "punishing" the people who are trying to bring something good out of a bad situation.

As far as old subscriptions - anyone who had one should have been offered a substitution for a different publication or a pro-rated refund. That's what I got anyway.

[quote name='Hostile']I'm very interested in GamePro (John Davison) and EGM (old EGM/1UP people are contributing + a couple of other names I know) but I want to wait for at least some kind of discount.[/QUOTE]

Gamepro is a lot more than John Davison, no disrespect to him. There are a lot of 1up and Computer Gaming World alum, as well as many other contributors you would have heard of. As a subscriber to every gaming magazine in the US, Gamepro became one of my favorites literally overnight.

Why would you wait for a discount for a $19.97 a year magazine? You realize that that probably doesn't even cover the cost to ship it to you, let alone producing, printing, and actually writing the magazine? It's not the Internet that killed print, my friend.

bread's done
Back