Electroplankton Discussion Thread

scdoanintendo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Thought I'd start this up since a lot of the deal threads for this are getting a lot of OTT questions about this game. I personally don't have it yet but will on the 16th.

I just checked the Nintendo website here:
http://electroplankton.nintendods.com/buynow.html

In addition to Toys R Us, It will be/is available at

Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...d=1134699430831

Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...duct_id=4599106

Target
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...917404-6059331?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000CI8EXA

Circuit City
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Elec...roductDetail.do

Thanks to lpj8 for the links.

Meh... mine hasn't shipped from Amazon, but looks like its about to, since they've moved it from Not Yet Shipped to Open. Better be in the mail tomorrow, since it was expected to go out today.

Just FYI for any of those that ordered from ebay my order got refunded with no reason given. Might want to check your orders or order a back up copy in case.

[quote name='bigriver314']does anyone know if the US release has anything extra or different from the Japanese one[/QUOTE]
English ;) But that's it.

I ordered from TRU (Amazon) on the 7th and mine hasnt shipped yet. It still had an estimated delivery of Jan 13th-17th so it should ship any day now!

Mother fuckers... don't get your hopes up, Staind. I ordered mine on the 7th as well, just emailed them asking about it, and my estimated delivery is now March 16th.

They gave me a $5 gift cert, but that doesn't do me much good. Best case, I have to use that $5 for shipping charges if I order elsewhere, namely Nintendo. Or just let my order sit for two months.

Edit: Ah well... after upgrading my shipping, my Amazon order also had more tax, so my order at Nintendo only cost me about a buck fifty more since there's no tax. Annoying, but works for me. Hopefully Nintendo's got it in stock, no mention of a backorder.

And another: Wow, Nintendo's already got a UPS tracking number for my order. If this ships same day, I will be amazed.

Edit: Damn. Still hasn't been 'processed' frm Nintendo yet. Wtf? Is it because I didn't link to a my nintendo account?

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Edit: Damn. Still hasn't been 'processed' frm Nintendo yet. Wtf? Is it because I didn't link to a my nintendo account?[/QUOTE]
I dunno, its a possibility. Mine shipped in 4 hours today.

[quote name='botticus']I dunno, its a possibility. Mine shipped in 4 hours today.[/QUOTE]

Alright, what the fuck. That's lame. I ordered it on the nith, and have been told I'll receive another E-Mail once the order is "processed". I don't have a My Nintendo account that I know of, so I couldn't link to one. God damn.

Okay, whatever, I'm calling Nintendo if I don't get an Email by Tuesday that my order was processed. If your guys' orders took less than a day or two, this is insane.

Got this game in today and all I can say is wow. Everyone needs to play this but if you can try it out first since I know some will instantly think it's a waste of money. It comes with the comic that was in the Japanese version but in English and also a registration number to register. Will answer any questions.

Few things before I take the plunge, especially since money is tight. People are saying it seems really "incomplete". No save mode is a big "Wha?" in my book, but not exactly a deal breaker. My beef would come with limited options involving instrumental and pitch range. Also, recording sound for that one plankton (forget its name), how long do you get and how do you do it? It seems as if there would be some kind of DS to Computer cord for all of this.

Reality's Fringe said:
Few things before I take the plunge, especially since money is tight. People are saying it seems really "incomplete". No save mode is a big "Wha?" in my book, but not exactly a deal breaker. My beef would come with limited options involving instrumental and pitch range. Also, recording sound for that one plankton (forget its name), how long do you get and how do you do it? It seems as if there would be some kind of DS to Computer cord for all of this.
All you need to hook it up to your computer is a cord from your DS' headphone jack to your PC's mic jack.

There are 10 different stages if you would call them that. Some offer many different instrument combinations while others offer a few. This can keep anyone in appreciation for music well occupied but the lack of save makes it difficult. To record on the pc I would think you would have to have a sound card with audio in and record from a y-audio cable from the DS's headphone jack.

i just received my american copy today for collection purposes... but i've had the japanese one since may, so the honeymoon is long since over for me... novelty has worn off...

as Reality's Fringe said, it does feel ridiculously "incomplete" to me. i know that one guy pretty much did everything for this game, and that's cool. but nintendo should have worked more jointly with him to turn electroplankton into a full-on game.

some sort of DDR music competition (with scoring of some sort) would have helped a LOT. a multiplayer feature, head-to-head competitions. perhaps mini-games of some sort, all motivated by music and sound and patterns... nintendo is creative. they could have done so much more. and then, retain "performance mode" and "audience mode" as options, a free mode if you will, where people could still go in and do exactly what electroplankton offers now.

this fleshed out game would have given people much more bang for their buck, made it more attractive to people... less customers would be on the fence about it, and more would be sold to the idea. online niche release wouldn't have been as necessary as kids and parents would have potentially gotten on board with the idea...

i understand the "interactive art" concept, i really do. but i don't understand why it can't just be one facet of the title, and not the entire thing. and i feel like all games (some more than others) are examples of interactive art... and they manage to include solid gameplay. electroplankton could have done more.

i really applaud the creativity, but also hope these bare bones half-finished releases don't become a trend.

there, i've said my piece...

[quote name='DocRamon']i really applaud the creativity, but also hope these bare bones half-finished releases don't become a trend.

there, i've said my piece...[/QUOTE]
I'm not going to argue with your perspective (hell, I don't have the game yet, hurry up UPS!), but I have a feeling Iwai as an artist probably had complete control of this project. And "trivializing" his art by using it as a game would probably not be something he would allow. I have nothing to back this up, just why I think it probably is the way it is. Otherwise, I can see no reason why Nintendo would not have done more to capitalize on it.

Ah screw it, I've been wanting to try this since I heard about it, and since I couldn't use my spare Walmart credit on Phoenix Wright like I had planned (DAMN YOU ALL!), I figure I'm not out of anything. Ordered from Wal-Mart.com (...obviously).

[quote name='botticus']I have a feeling Iwai as an artist probably had complete control of this project. And "trivializing" his art by using it as a game would probably not be something he would allow.[/QUOTE]

that's "trivializing" games by not calling them art.

who is to say that his "interactive art" of plankton moving around making noise is better or worse than nintendo's interactive art of a plumber jumping on turtles. nobody really. that's why it's all subjective. but at least, ultimately, nintendo's art has a point. a purpose. a meaning, if you will. Iwai's art... not so much.

and when i interact with a "game" i want to be doing so for a reason.

i would be more accepting of electroplankton if it were more like an instrument. look at a piano. everytime you hit a particular key, it plays a certain note. but the structure of electroplankton is often so random that you're not really making true "music" but rather just lots of noise. i highly doubt that you could create a full song which could ever be repeated exactly the same way. you couldn't put on a true performance with electroplankton without half of it being based on luck.

that said, it's not really an application. it's not really a game. nobody can really classify it as anything, because it's isn't anything... it's the beginnings of a lot of things, but lacks follow-through.

i know there's a lot of people out there obsessed with electroplankton. people that have had the game for months and still play it regularly. more power to them, i suppose. but i personally, can't understand how anyone could enjoy this title for longer than 15 or 30 minutes total.

really not trying to start a debate or anything... just felt that my opinion (one i think that many will share once the game gets out to more people and older) should be contributed. i know that a lot of people are thinking about getting it, but just can't decide. with so many positive opinions out there, it's easy to get mislead. just want people to understand there's a crowd out there (one that will likely grow in the coming months) that is somewhat unimpressed.

[quote name='DocRamon']that's "trivializing" games by not calling them art.

who is to say that his "interactive art" of plankton moving around making noise is better or worse than nintendo's interactive art of a plumber jumping on turtles. nobody really. that's why it's all subjective. but at least, ultimately, nintendo's art has a point. a purpose. a meaning, if you will. Iwai's art... not so much.[/QUOTE]

Try telling that to Mr. Iwai. Like it or not, I agree that this is simply what happens when you get a "traditional" artist involved.

Received the game today. It's pretty darn fun, I'm enojying it. Even though it'll get old soon, I'm glad I got it if only for my collection.

25 bucks with free shipping on overstock.com right now.

Check the main deals page.

Most of this thread is about shipping woes...

Could someone with the game post opinions, since I just ordered and want to decide whether to open it or keep it for future value...thanks!

remember it isnt a game.. it's more of an experimental software peice. Toshio Iwai actually does exhibition art and solo shows at worldwide gallerys... the guy is an amazing guy. Probably the geekiest artist i've seen, but damn awsome. He's probably the first video game artist who actually programmed games as art. Awsomely enough I think my sisters and I come in second... http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68248

I finally scored a copy last week. As a musician I enjoy it. As a fan of interactive art I enjoy it. As a gamer? Hell, as a gamer I could take or leave it. The whole “un-game” concept that Nintendo’s had going with Nintendogs and the like is in full force with Electroplankton.

I find its offerings enough to appeal to my artistic side after the initial "hour or two" of entertainment I heard some reviewers griping about. The folly of not including a save function is oddly telling about the transient nature of creative expression… and it’s also a pain in the arse. I plan to remedy this by buying a stereo 1/8th” male to stereo 1/8th” male cable and running it from my DS headphone jack to my soundcard’s input. I figure I should be able to pull across some pretty sounds!

yea...i dont agree with the lack of save comments and I dont even have the thing...but it would completely change the nature of the title to add a save feature...the cart would need extra storage, and then, how the hell would you unload something? Youd frickin still need to sit in front of a computer and plug your ds in with an audio cable, so people saying that its a pain to output stuff because you cant do it on the go are morons since in order to get anything you make off your ds, you've gotta be stuck at home.

But whatever...I had an easier time deciding to buy this than I did when I was considering nintendogs, and I'm STILL happy I didn't buy Nintendogs...I would have gotten sick of it REAL quick and then been pissed. For a game that will be rare in a couple of years, 20 bucks even is awesome.

I jumped on the overstock bandwagon as well. I never though I would use my $5 overstock coupon anyway...this was a great opportunity. Been wanting to check this thing out, but 35-40 is just too much for a concept game.

bread's done
Back