Elite 360 disc drive problems - need opinion. Thank you.

msuna

CAGiversary!
Dear members of CAG,

I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me if they have faced the same problem.

I have an xbox360 elite (2nd one after my original RROD) and it seems my disc drive is breaking. It is making whirring noises and screeching noises. Then it reads the disc and is ok. But i was wondering how much anyone has been charged if they mail back their system to fix the dvd drive? Should i bother? go until it dies? I bough it at costco so in theory i could go back to costco and exchange the system. The HD is fine of course. I dont know what to do. This is not covered under the red ring of death.... Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
In before the lock! I've already pre-ordered my copy of "disc drive problems" for the 360 months ago. I hope Best Buy has a midnight launch because this is going to be huge! :)

How long have you had the elite? If it's under a year the disc drive is covered under microsofts 1 year warranty. Otherwise, it's going to cost you $99 to get microsoft to fix it. I say if you can, return it where you bought it for another one. The disc drives appear to be a POS in all the systems (really cheaply made). The disc drive on my launch pro works for the most part but I still get the occasional disc not readable and insert this game into an xbox 360 console.

[quote name='blackhole82']How long have you had the elite? If it's under a year the disc drive is covered under microsofts 1 year warranty. Otherwise, it's going to cost you $99 to get microsoft to fix it. I say if you can, return it where you bought it for another one. The disc drives appear to be a POS in all the systems (really cheaply made). The disc drive on my launch pro works for the most part but I still get the occasional disc not readable and insert this game into an xbox 360 console.[/quote]

Unfortunately this is a launch elite 360 i bought at costco. I am not under MS warranty but i believe that i am under costco warranty. Though they would want everything back which i have but i dont want to give my hd back.....

The other problem is when you swap consoles. you have to connect to the internet to use any digital rights BS associated with your profile and i have a few xbl arcade games i downloaded and media. So annoying ugh. not the worst thing but annoying. Probably better than paying $100 to get it fixed. Paying again for the stuff to re download is cheaper. What do others think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your disc drive is going to die. Or, it might Red Ring. Who knows. I'd send it to Microsoft anyway and just say it Red Ringed. There's probably a 50/50 chance that:

A. They replace your Xbox360 because you say it redringed. They also notice that your disc drive is failing and replace it.
B. There is nothing wrong with your Xbox360 besides failing disc drive and they require payment and/or send it back to you.

bread's done
Back