Elite Beat Agents: Agents are go!

furyk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
http://ds.ign.com/articles/743/743324p1.html

Craig Harris gave Elite Beat Agents a 9.5, tieing it with Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Brothers as the highest reviewed DS game on IGN. Even though he misspells Ouendan throughout the entire review, which was irritating as hell, it's an absolutely glowing review. Nintendo Power also gave it a 9.5 which is exceptionally high from that publication these days. If you have a DS, you must get this game.

[quote name='mykevermin']You mean to tell me Nintendo doesn't fluff their own games anymore in NP? What the hell?[/QUOTE]

Last few Nintendo published games reviews:

Pokemon Ranger: 7.0/10
Clubhouse Games: 7.0/10
Mario Hoops: 7.5/10
Mario vs DK 2: 7.5/10
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: 8.0/10

They're still willing to bust out big scores for good games, but it being a Nintendo published game doesn't mean it'll get an automatic 8 or higher.

well, im sure the game is enjoyable, but id end up sticking a screw driver in my ear after listening to the songs on the elite beat agent, import is the way to go for me.

And let's be honest: the Elite Beat Agents are too cool for school and could kick those pansy bathrobe-wearing cheerleaders' asses any day of the week.
Hmm...
I'll get the torches. Who wants to handle the pitchforks?

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised that the reviews are so high. Regardless of the soundtrack, it's the gameplay that matters in the long run, and if they haven't changed it from Ouendan, then it's going to sell well.

The only big issue I have with this review (besides the stupid pot shot about how the Agents could beat up the Cheer Squad) is the fact that they claim the cover of "You're the Inspiration" is great. Nobody, not even Chicago, can make that song good.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']I guess we shouldn't be too surprised that the reviews are so high. Regardless of the soundtrack, it's the gameplay that matters in the long run, and if they haven't changed it from Ouendan, then it's going to sell well.

The only big issue I have with this review (besides the stupid pot shot about how the Agents could beat up the Cheer Squad) is the fact that they claim the cover of "You're the Inspiration" is great. Nobody, not even Chicago, can make that song good.

-HM[/quote]No no... they say it's the best cover of the song. So if you think the song sucks, then the cover will still suck. It just won't suck as much as previous covers.

Man, I only have like $50, and now this review makes it really hard to choose between this and Final Fantasy 3 (both of which are going to be released within a week of each other).

[quote name='TheBigBoi']Man, I only have like $50, and now this review makes it really hard to choose between this and Final Fantasy 3 (both of which are going to be released within a week of each other).[/quote]Gotta be creative! GGC EBA down to $25, and FFIII should be down to $25 or $30 after GGC.

[quote name='botticus']Gotta be creative! GGC EBA down to $25, and FFIII should be down to $25 or $30 after GGC.[/quote]

And that’s assuming you can’t find a weekend CC or Target sale price on either title.

Damn, is Elite Beat going to be only $30? Damn; gonna be another buy from ye olde BB with the GGC.

I know this is probably listed somewhere, but what's the expected release date of this?

EDIT: Never mind - I see it hits stores next week.

-HM

[quote name='1modernboy']And that’s assuming you can’t find a weekend CC or Target sale price on either title.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like there will be any price breaks on it for the release week, perhaps the week after though.

[quote name='psunami']Doesn't look like there will be any price breaks on it for the release week, perhaps the week after though.[/quote]

We can hope. :)

I doubt it'll get any cheaper than $5 off, so might as well buy at BB with the GGC (unless you're one of those lucky people that can convince BB to honor the GGC on a sale item).

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']I doubt it'll get any cheaper than $5 off, so might as well buy at BB with the GGC (unless you're one of those lucky people that can convince BB to honor the GGC on a sale item).

-HM[/quote]

The GGC coupon works automatically on sale items, as it does on regular items. I realize that the wording on the coupon indicates that it provides a discount from the normal price, but it would be unusual for them to adjust the price back up manually. Using the GGC with a price-match is another story.

I would just assume that most cashiers flat out wouldn't accept it on a sale item, but maybe I'm wrong.

-HM

[quote name='guessed']The GGC coupon works automatically on sale items, as it does on regular items. I realize that the wording on the coupon indicates that it provides a discount from the normal price, but it would be unusual for them to adjust the price back up manually. Using the GGC with a price-match is another story.[/quote]

I was able to do that once. I got Mario pinball release week lucked out and scored the game and the GCC. I haven't shopped there in over a couple of years now since the ban.

[quote name='botticus']Gotta be creative! GGC EBA down to $25, and FFIII should be down to $25 or $30 after GGC.[/quote]

I'm from Canada, and have never heard of this GGC. Can you please explain it? Thanks.

[quote name='ananag112']Game Informer give the game a 6.75/10[/quote]
These guys most definitely do not get it, so to speak.

-HM

[quote name='TheBigBoi']I'm from Canada, and have never heard of this GGC. Can you please explain it? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Ahh... the weekly GGC explanation.

Best Buy offers gift cards in most stores. The gift cards say GAMES right on them, and on the back of the gift card package there is a $5 coupon off of any game priced $19.99 or above.

They've had the Gamer Gift Cards out now for about 2 or 3 years. I've probably saved about $200 or more on games since they came out.

Oh yea, I remember reading about the Gamer Gift Card theory. It's just that I had never heard of the abbreviated form of it. Unfortunately, from what I've been told it doesn't work in Canada.

Seeing the IGN review of EBA, I finally had to buy Ouendan. I have every intention of buying EBA too, but I guess this was the straw that broke the 40 dollar DS game's back for me.

If it's exactly like Ouendan's gameplay, IGN is not overhyping this time. It's that much fun :)

The soundtrack however....blech. as you can see, IGN didn't factor that in too much to their review. Regardless, if you can get over the music and dont want to spend the cash on Ounedan, buy it!

[quote name='ananag112']Game Informer gave the game a 6.75/10:

http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200612/R06.1102.1127.53876.htm[/QUOTE]

So reading the reviews, here's the criticisms:

1. When playing the game, it's too hard.

2. I can't time the circles right. It's a problem with the touch screen and not the fact that music games need to be "felt" more then timed.

3. The cheerleading aspects, the core concept of the game, are distracting.

4. It's not guitar hero.

Yeah, great reviews from Game Informer.....

[quote name='furyk']So reading the reviews, here's the criticisms:

1. When playing the game, it's too hard.

2. I can't time the circles right. It's a problem with the touch screen and not the fact that music games need to be "felt" more then timed.

3. The cheerleading aspects, the core concept of the game, are distracting.

4. It's not guitar hero.

Yeah, great reviews from Game Informer.....[/QUOTE]

basically, they didn't put enough time into it, suck as a result, and chalk it up to the classic "it's the controller's fault!" excuse.

[quote name='Sn0brawler']Seeing the IGN review of EBA, I finally had to buy Ouendan.[/quote]
Be prepared to lose any free time you might have had, thus becoming an outcast in the eyes of your friends and family. The crack is so addictive that you will undoubtedly need an intervention to put you back on the straight and narrow. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I'm personally having withdrawl symptoms as I write this. Ou...en...DAN!

-HM

Hmm personally, I think both IGN and game informer ratings are too extreme. Based on my experience with Ouendan, the game definitely isn't that bad and it's definitely not perfect. I also don't really like to go by IGN ratings, but they do get their reviews up fast.

The only time the game is not perfect is the offbeat section in Ready Steady Go on Normal Mode. Other than that the game is amazing and i am glad i shelled out the 50 dollars to buy the game. Insane mode here i come!

[quote name='TheBigBoi']Oh yea, I remember reading about the Gamer Gift Card theory. It's just that I had never heard of the abbreviated form of it. Unfortunately, from what I've been told it doesn't work in Canada.[/quote]lol @ theory.

anyhow, I'm buying EBA for sure. ouendan is so simply great that as long as they have the same group writing the stories, they could use theme songs from sesame street and it'd still be an awesome game.

i was going to stick with ouendan, but seeing as i've finished that..

the animations and stories actually seem better in EBA.. at least the dancing seems to follow the patterns more. I actually don't mind the music, it's just as poppy and crappy as the ouendan music, except we've heard it a million times, unlike the j-pop. That and you have the japanophiles who just love the ouendan soundtrack cause it's japanese.. they're both loaded with pop song covers. You can't say morning musume is any better than avril lavigne, now come on.

[quote name='banpeikun']... they could use theme songs from sesame street and it'd still be an awesome game.[/quote]
That would be an improvement over the current soundtrack.

I disagree with jer7583. I'm a guitar player (mostly heavy metal and hard alternative) and I can tell you that the songs on Ouendan are a lot more guitar oriented, which pushes the right buttons for me. Funky wah-wah, some cool riffs, nice bass on "Ready Steady", and even a guitar solo here and there. Most of the songs on Elite Beat are not guitar oriented. They had their chance with Bowie, but they blew it by picking "Let's Dance".

Yeah, there are a few with "Highway Star" (although if you're gonna pick Blackmoore, pick a staple like "Man On the Silver Mountain" by Rainbow. Would've been way cooler, albeit obscure) and "Jumping Jack Flash", but I really think that Ouendan's soundtrack does riff out a bit more.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']That would be an improvement over the current soundtrack.

I disagree with jer7583. I'm a guitar player (mostly heavy metal and hard alternative) and I can tell you that the songs on Ouendan are a lot more guitar oriented, which pushes the right buttons for me. Funky wah-wah, some cool riffs, nice bass on "Ready Steady", and even a guitar solo here and there. Most of the songs on Elite Beat are not guitar oriented. They had their chance with Bowie, but they blew it by picking "Let's Dance".

Yeah, there are a few with "Highway Star" (although if you're gonna pick Blackmoore, pick a staple like "Man On the Silver Mountain" by Rainbow. Would've been way cooler, albeit obscure) and "Jumping Jack Flash", but I really think that Ouendan's soundtrack does riff out a bit more.

-HM[/QUOTE]
Hmm... I'm a guitar player too, but I don't think the songs in Ouendan are that much guitar oriented. Though it may have guitar riffs here and there, that doesn't mean it's a rock song. Ready Steady Go by L'arc en ciel are really considered pop. If it was once the opening to an anime, it's most likely popular music. Shanghai Honey by Orange Range also would be something more associated with pop. Just because there is a group of guys calling themselves a band because they have "rock" instruments and what not, does not necessarily mean they produce more rock oriented music. From my perspective, the song list in Ouendan is the product of jpop saturation, that's what's big over there.

Rarely do rock bands rise in Japan because of the lack of places to practice or play gigs, plus you have to pay to practice in a sound room which is the only place to play [not too many garages], unfortunately. I would go on, but I'm a bit tired.

I used to be one of those Japanophiles and was into the jmusic scene, now, not as much, maybe even non existant. But if you listen to American rock, and the Japanese "rock" in Ouendan, you'll see an obvious difference. I mean, Japanese music these days are copies off older eras of American music, though they are starting to catch up with much more modern sounding music.

Sorry about that, I'm just getting confused where to draw the line between those who are appreciative of real music and those who are just plain in love with everything Japanese.

I am most definitely not in love with everything Japanese. I've never heard any of their music until I bought this game. Granted a fair amount of my enjoyment of it has to do with the fact that I've never heard any of these songs before. But some of it does have to do with the fact that overall it tends to lean on the harder side than Madonna, The Village People, and Ashley Simpson.

-HM

haha, I agree, though I don't exactly remember the song list for EBA, I do remember it sucked ass. But I dunno, maybe the songs could grow on me if I start playing. Yeah, I can picture it now, me walking down the street singing Ashlee Simpson. Ahhhh.

There is no chance that song list is going to grow on me. I know 80% of the songs, and there is no way that listening to those songs over and over again will make them better.

Now if they gave me a Guitar Hero II type soundtrack, well, then we'd be talking.

-HM

Only 19 songs is pretty pitiful it seems. Doesn't Guitar Hero have 50+?

Even if the songs were good, I'd want more than 19 in the game. Seems like a shorter experience than IGN leads you to believe.

I might pick this one up in a year or 2 when it hits the cheap bin.

[quote name='Swingman']Only 19 songs is pretty pitiful it seems. Doesn't Guitar Hero have 50+?

Even if the songs were good, I'd want more than 19 in the game. Seems like a shorter experience than IGN leads you to believe.

I might pick this one up in a year or 2 when it hits the cheap bin.[/quote]
Ouendan has only 15 (as far as I know), and its difficulty levels and length of songs make it a nice long expierence. I've probably got 8-10 hours in thus far.

19 songs is quite a few, considering a DS game card won't hold nearly as much information as a PS2 disc. It's not a just comparison to hold it to the same number of songs as Guitar Hero.

-HM

[quote name='jer7583'] That and you have the japanophiles who just love the ouendan soundtrack cause it's japanese.. they're both loaded with pop song covers. You can't say morning musume is any better than avril lavigne, now come on.[/QUOTE]

since I pretty much ignore american pop culture, you are kinda right-- it's fun because its wacky japanese pop that flows well with the crazy japanese animations. but the music is a lot more interesting and complex than the american stuff they put on EBA.

i would take a morning musume song (don't even know which one was by them in ouendan or who they are) over Cher's "Believe" any day.

Just picked this up today at Costco, for $26.99, based solely on the IGN review and video clips. I don't mind the music at all, it definitely fits the mood of the game, which is to be fun. Just hope I don't wreck my touchscreen playing this one too much!

Jeez, your Costco released it already? Awesome. I wonder if I should waste my time checking...

As long as you make sure to wipe your screen of grit before playing you'll be fine. I don't use protectors and have been playing Ouendan nonstop for a couple of weeks, and still have no scratches.

-HM

Hmm, I think I wait for price to drop on this one, which will probably be never since it's published by Nintendo.

So anyone play it yet? Do we get to help someone poo again? :D

For me, the game play in Ouendan was only fun because I was really into the catchy music. I already know all these songs this time around, and don't like most of them, so I know it won't be as much fun.

Pass.

bread's done
Back