Elite Beat Agents: Agents are go!

Today I spent a while on Canned Heat on sweatin'. Almost had it beat but I had to stop to eat some lunch before work, hoping to get past it tonight. It took me a while of playing it before I could figure out the rhythm to it. At first, it seemed like some of the notes didn't fit well with the song.

The one other than that has come up in the game is that the beginning songs on each difficulty so far have been too easy. I was hoping the early songs would be harder than they are on sweatin', more around the difficulty of the last couple songs on cruisin' but they seem easy. The later songs on each level have been more fun since they're more challenging. Hoping they're a little more difficult on the highest difficulty.

The last thing I don't quite understand is how this game is a touch generation game with it's difficulty level. The lowest difficulty isn't really that much fun and the notes don't really fit the music since they're so spaced out, but the higher difficulties would be tough for non-gamers. Not complaining, though, since it allowed me to get it as part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal.

I'm really liking this game so far, although I've been stuck on "Let's Dance" at 2 stars for half of the day now. The third section with the 2 strings of like 12 green notes really close together kills me every time. A practice mode would have been a really great idea, I'm starting to get really sick of playing the first 2 sections of that song just to get about 3 seconds of practice on the part that keeps screwing me up.

Only other complaint is the song selection/covers. I've never been a fan of not using the real artists. The song choices aren't so hot either in my opinion (Good Charlotte? come on... and I've always disliked that Canned Heat song)

FINALLY beat Jumping Jack Flash on Cruisin'. Man, I must've played that one 50 times, I always got crushed on the 3rd part with the barrage of numbers. I could never get the timing right, but I figured it out and skated by the fourth section. Yeah, a practice part would've been nice, but maybe would've made the game too easy. Real artists would've been nice too, but it's probably not economically possible for a game hoping to make money.

Canned Heat is very, very difficult for me even on Cruisin'. I don't know how I'm going to beat it on Sweatin'.

I don't know if I could stand having to listen to the real versions of songs like La La and The Anthem...sometimes covers are a good thing.

[quote name='rlse9']I don't know if I could stand having to listen to the real versions of songs like La La and The Anthem...sometimes covers are a good thing.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, but I think the covers are just as bad/even worse.

You know what sucks about Canned Heat? I couldn't get the first part in Sweatin' the first 5 times I played through, but then I turned the sound off and beat the whole thing my first try. The sound synching in that level just sucks so bad it's unbelievable.

[quote name='jimbodan']I hear ya, but I think the covers are just as bad/even worse.[/quote]The issue is with a rhythm game, they pretty much have to do covers. Even if it wasn't a money thing, they've got to rerecord the songs so they have perfect beat timing. Live-recorded stuff is never accurate enough, and even most studio CD recordings are that exact in their beats.

Can you imagine EBA with slightly irregular beats? *shudder*

It turns out the sappiest song of the bunch, Chicago's "You're My Inspiration," is my favorite song in this game. I just play that one a lot.

If they make a sequel, please less Good Charlotte crap and more 80s slow songs. Sometimes I like a soothing song, not the latest MTV bands of today.

The YMCA song is played to death. Would've loved more obscure forgotten songs like the Chicago one, not a song played at every pep rally in the country.

[quote name='Requiem']
If they make a sequel, please less Good Charlotte crap and more 80s slow songs. Sometimes I like a soothing song, not the latest MTV bands of today.
[/QUOTE]

The sad part is that they DIDN'T get MTV bands of today, but more or less MTV bands of 5 years ago ;)

I agree, the game could have used another slower song. That song is definitely one of my favorites on the game and the story for it is really good, too. One more slow song with a more serious story would have been nice.

[quote name='Like A Breath']You know what sucks about Canned Heat? I couldn't get the first part in Sweatin' the first 5 times I played through, but then I turned the sound off and beat the whole thing my first try. The sound synching in that level just sucks so bad it's unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've tried that since I CANNOT beat it on two-star mode. I did better with the sound off, but still haven't finished it. FRUSTRATING! I have Bs on all the other songs in two-star mode, but that one defies me.

[quote name='seanr1221']This game is so crazy I love it.

Hope this becomes a series.[/QUOTE]

It technically already is, since the Japanese one is completely different.

[quote name='Roufuss']The sad part is that they DIDN'T get MTV bands of today, but more or less MTV bands of 5 years ago ;)[/QUOTE]

cheaper to get the rights

[quote name='jimbodan']I'm really liking this game so far, although I've been stuck on "Let's Dance" at 2 stars for half of the day now. The third section with the 2 strings of like 12 green notes really close together kills me every time. A practice mode would have been a really great idea, I'm starting to get really sick of playing the first 2 sections of that song just to get about 3 seconds of practice on the part that keeps screwing me up.

Only other complaint is the song selection/covers. I've never been a fan of not using the real artists. The song choices aren't so hot either in my opinion (Good Charlotte? come on... and I've always disliked that Canned Heat song)[/QUOTE]

i'm stuck EXACTLy there too... I get perfect up until that point.. then I miss like 10 in a row. Canned Heat was kinda hard for a while, but after I got the hang of the first couple scenes it wasn't too bad.

[quote name='NewSc2']i'm stuck EXACTLy there too... I get perfect up until that point.. then I miss like 10 in a row. Canned Heat was kinda hard for a while, but after I got the hang of the first couple scenes it wasn't too bad.[/QUOTE]

finally! i beat it. that stupid chain was to follow the dumb guitar solo. they change up the rhythm a lot -- sometimes it's on drums, sometimes it's on vocals or guitar or keyboard... or in the case of Canned Heat... nothing.. lol

I finished Jumpin' Jack Flash on sweatin' last night...one of the top 3 moments of my life. Man, that was hard. I'm on the second set of stages on the Diva mode now, it's tricky but I'm getting the hang of it.

I just started playing it yesterday and getting more into it today. Is A ranking the highest or is there an S ranking? I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

I'm still on sweatin' mode, too many other games that I've been trying to play.

On both Canned Heat and Material Girl I played them many many times over several sessions and got my ass kicked by them. When I finally did clear them, on both it was right after turning the system on and playing it for the first time that day. Seemed kinda strange that both that I struggled with so much ended up with me clearing them on the first try of the session. Anyone else have this happen?

I've had a similar experience with ouendan (waiting for a price drop on EBA) I was trying to get an S on one of the songs with the female cheerleaders, and I just kept missing a few beats the night before. Next day i turn it on S on the first try. I was like "wow" :D

[quote name='evilmax17']Just beat the sad stage. Inis really does those well.[/quote]

Yea, that sad stage in EBA really was......well.....sad. I couldn't wait to finish it and be done with, because I was used to such wacky situations in the other ones that I couldn't deal with a slow one like that.

[quote name='TheBigBoi']Yea, that sad stage in EBA really was......well.....sad. I couldn't wait to finish it and be done with, because I was used to such wacky situations in the other ones that I couldn't deal with a slow one like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a really sad episode. It's also a bit hard when you start, because there's no sound efx when you hit something. I think I'm there right now on Sweatin' (not stuck there, just stopped playing there). I really want to get to the divas stage. (rockin'?)

I pretty much played this game nonstop for a week and unlocked all the songs, beat all the songs in all the modes with a C* or better, and have a Legendary Agent rank. How many other ranks are there?

I got this game last night. It's really really fun. Songs are great. It is pretty intense too. I cleared the first 10 stages. I think my highest rank was a D, LOL.

Oh man, I finally got to "Without a Fight" on Sweatin, and it kicked my ass in about three seconds. Unfortunately my battery light went red, so I had to stop playing and give it a charge. I'll give it another go tonight.

I just beat the whole thing on the easiest setting in one playthrough, it seems SO much easier than Ouendan, because even Ready Steady Go on very easy owned the hell out of me, but Without a Fight/Jumpin Jack Flash was fairly simple.

Now, on to the normal mode!

I can not beat Jumpin Jack Flash. I think I'm in the 4th part of the song and theres just too many quick slides mixed in with double taps.

Edit: Beaten. Currently crusing through whatever hard mode is called. Bonus song was easy and kind of lame.

[quote name='NewSc2']Yeah, that was a really sad episode. It's also a bit hard when you start, because there's no sound efx when you hit something. I think I'm there right now on Sweatin' (not stuck there, just stopped playing there). I really want to get to the divas stage. (rockin'?)[/QUOTE]

Ya, I thought it was one of the most brilliant stages in a game. It was so out of place....yet fit right in. It was also beautifully done.

Diva mode is just a mirror mode of Agent Chieftan mode, but with smaller and faster targets. You should keep that in mind while playing it.

[quote name='PRGuitarman']Diva mode is just a mirror mode of Agent Chieftan mode, but with smaller and faster targets. You should keep that in mind while playing it.[/quote]

So you mean all of the target locations when playing are in the same locations? This might be of some use.

Can anyone help explain to my why this game is so fun? I really don't know if it is worth buying. Can tapping dots really be that great?

its one of those games that just "click" when you play it, trying to explain or watching trailers and screenshots can't do the game justice, you have to play it to understand, like phoenix wright for instance

[quote name='Ironchief']Can anyone help explain to my why this game is so fun? I really don't know if it is worth buying. Can tapping dots really be that great?[/QUOTE]

Thats what I would have thought too. But see the little dots you tap and lines you slide are not just randomly placed. They place them pretty much perfectly to the beat, rythhmn or vocals of a song. If you try to play just poking dots the game is fun but not amazing and becomes frustratingly hard. However, if you treat this as what it is, one of the few true rythmn games its ALOT of fun.

My fiancee who isnt much of a gamer actually was kicking my ass at first and I simply could not beat most songs on normal. Finaly I took her advice and thought of things as music not simply a game. In no time I was kicking major ass and having alot more fun.

Besides the fact of how well the rythmn is done there is also the fact that its just a funny ass game and the story is cool.

[quote name='Ironchief']Can anyone help explain to my why this game is so fun? I really don't know if it is worth buying. Can tapping dots really be that great?[/quote]

EBA whips the llama's ass! I thought it would be lame just sitting there tapping a bunch of dots but it's great. I'm on the final space alien stage in Cruisin' mode.

Kinda reminds me of when I played PaRappa the Rappa on PSX for the first time. My friend kept telling me it was awesome but I kept saying it was a stupid kids game. Finally I played it and loved every minute of it. If you have a DS buy it, you won;t be dissappointed!

After giving this game a hard time because of the soundtrack, I caved in and bought it last night.

I just beat it on 'Crusin' and probably will be starting 'Sweatin' soon.

Chicago is awesome.

bread's done
Back