eMac deal?

Peter 55

CAG Veteran
For $125, is this a good deal for a 2002 eMac with these specs?
Specifications

Operating System: 10.4.11
Processor: 700Mhz Power PC G4
Memory: 640MB
Hard drive: 40 GB Ultra ATA
Optical Drive: 10x24x32x-speed CD-R/RW, DVD combo
Graphics Support: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX with 32MB of DDR SDRAM
Firewire ports: two
USB ports: five
VGA video mirroring: yes
Ethernet: 10/100BASE-T
Display: Built-in 17-inch flat CRT (16-inch diagonal viewable image size); 0.25-mm dot pitch

Additional Specs

- Integrated high-performance stereo audio system
- Built-in microphone for speech recognition and audio recording
- Built-in antennas and card slot for optional 11-Mbps AirPort Card; IEEE 802.11b compliant (not included)

- Headphone jack (headphones not included)
- Mini-VGA output port (requires VGA display adapter)
- Built-in 56K V.90 modem (RJ-11 connector)
- Apple USB optical mouse included, no keyboard - Micro Wireless keyboard and mouse INCLUDED

Honestly? If you want it then do it but id rather get a mac mini for 400 than spend 125 for that.

Grr I just wrote up a nice suggestion post here and then accidentally hit the back button and it got erased :(

I was saying that I think it's probably too much. A 7 year old computer that's big and bulky. You can't do much with it can you? You can surf the web ok maybe, but you might have trouble playing videos on sites like youtube, especially the newer higher quality ones they offer.

You should still be able to do word processing and spreadsheet stuff ok though. Also playing old snes emulators and such should be ok.

Anyways, I ended my last writeup saying that you could probably buy a newer computer for maybe double?, but that it would be much faster and more useable. I said I was going to check a few computer sites and find out for you real quick. So I'm gonna do that now!

Yeah looks like dell has the inspiron 531 desktop for $250. That's exactly double the price. It's got windows XP on it, and an athlon 2650e whatever that is, but it runs at 1.6Ghz, also has a dvd burner.

Compaq also has a desktop, the Presario CQ2009F for $280. Intel Atom 230 Processor, also at 1.6Ghz, 160gb hd just like the dell, windows xp also, both have 1gb of ram.

Yeah one drawback though is both of these do not come with any kind of display. So you'll have to buy a monitor from somewhere.

I do remember a while ago seeing new emacs for sale on newegg for something like $75, but they were really old ones from 1998.

bread's done
Back