Embarassingly stupid wireless security question

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I want to have a password you have to type to access my wireless network. Only problem is I have no idea how to do this. I have a Netgear WGR 614. Seems like the most simple thing but have no idea how to do it. Searching just brings up endless people forgeting how to access there modem settings. I can get into the settings but there I don't know where I can do this. I'm very gun shy cause my network works great and I have had major headaches in the past so I err on the side of keep it working fine for everyone in the house.
Many thanks!

P.S. Any advice or things to be aware of doing this please let me know. I would hate to not be able to connect to Xbox live. I'm assuming it will just ask me to enter the password.

Not really a stupid question, just sounds like you want to secure your network, correct?

In wireless terms, for home networks, the password you're likely referring to is also known as a PSK (Pre-Shared Key). The router takes this PSK (you can consider it a password), along with the SSID (Service Set Identifier, the name you give the network), and does some technical stuff to encrypt your traffic.

All devices attaching to your network need to attach to the SSID with that PSK.

I'm not familiar with your router model but can offer some advice, most routers do it the same way.

Look for a setting under your wireless settings in the admin web pages that has a field for the PSK (password). You may see some settings for WPA or WPA2 personal, this is what you're looking for. WPA = compatible with more devices - its been out longer, WPA2 = stronger encryption. Stay away from using WEP (very weak security), and definitely don't run your network unencrypted (also known as open).

I use a random PSK generator to create the key as a large hexidecimal number (~32 characters), but feel free to create your own, it may not be as secure, just don't choose something easily guessed, use symbols and mixed case.

Let us know how that goes. If you need additional info, I'm sure any of us will gladly help.

Everything worked fine, but... when I tried to host some Xbox games no one was connecting. I didn't change any settings at all, just added the password. That shouldn't effect connecting with others on Live should it? Netflix and uploading scores etc all worked fine.

Correct, if you just added the password/PSK, at both the router and the 360, the router should otherwise be fine, presuming that people were able to previously connect to you prior to doing this?

If the router has a setting for UPnP, (Universal Plug n' Play), ensure its enabled.

Also, somewhere in the dashboard you can do a network test to ensure live works for you, I think you go to the 'my xbox' channel, go all the way to the right and its under the system settings / network somewhere - There was recently an xbox 101 video posted on the 360 about this topic if memory serves.

Here's the online version of the info if you want to look at it:
http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?ID=908880&lcid=1033&category=xboxlive

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?ID=908880&lcid=1033&category=xboxlive

bread's done
Back