End Of XBOX Production?BC Assured?

Ozzkev55

CAGiversary!
Fresh In From Gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124969.html

[quote name='Gamespot.com']Graphics manufacturer Nvidia announced last week that it will stop chip shipments to Microsoft after August 1, according to a Financial Times report.

The statement indicates that Microsoft will very likely discontinue Xbox production in advance of the Xbox 360 launch planned for this holiday season since Nvidia chips are an essential component of the Microsoft Xbox game console.

The move is surprising because console manufacturers have traditionally continued older system production for several years after the launch of its successor. Sony's original PlayStation, for example, has had a decade-long lifecycle. Originally released in 1995, Sony continued selling the PlayStation as a value gaming system years after releasing its successor, the PlayStation 2. The continued sales helped maintain demand for an aging game library and also introduced the PlayStation brand to new users who could potentially upgrade to a newer system.

Microsoft has indicated in the past that the current Xbox system has been expensive to produce, partly due to the fact that it must purchase chips from Intel and Nvidia instead of manufacturing its own silicon. Sony was able to reduce console production costs by redesigning systems year after year, but that option isn't available to Microsoft with the Xbox. At the Consumer Electronics Show this year, Microsoft's Cameron Ferroni told us that the Xbox team had considered producing a cost-reduced design, but decided that the cost-benefit wasn't compelling enough.

"You never say never, but it's a pretty major, massive engineering undertaking, and I'm not sure that the bang for the buck is necessarily there,” Ferroni said. “The reality is that no matter what we did to the Box, there's still a hard drive in there."

An imminent halt to Xbox production is the largest sign so far that the Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with legacy Xbox games. With the Xbox's large game library, Microsoft can't risk discontinuing the current Xbox console unless it plans to offer legacy support in a future system.[/QUOTE]

No big deal...I'm convinced that 360 will be backward compatible.

On a side note...
that "PS3" controller in your sig looks like it got its ass kicked...

I wonder if this means the old Xbox will become rare/hard to find one day? I think the Xbox 360 will play the older games, and with this news, it better!

I like the look of the PS3, but I have to admit the controller is ugly. Maybe it'll grow on me.

[quote name='gmzone']I wonder if this means the old Xbox will become rare/hard to find one day? I think the Xbox 360 will play the older games, and with this news, it better!

I like the look of the PS3, but I have to admit the controller is ugly. Maybe it'll grow on me.[/QUOTE]

Yes but with the exception of the PS2 controller, which wasn;t really changed, I personally said the same thing about the current generation of console controllers and now I love them.

[quote name='gmzone']I wonder if this means the old Xbox will become rare/hard to find one day? I think the Xbox 360 will play the older games, and with this news, it better!

I like the look of the PS3, but I have to admit the controller is ugly. Maybe it'll grow on me.[/QUOTE]

...thats not the ps3 or the ps3 controller... pictures of it havent been released yet... GOSH.. IDIOTS.

[quote name='Cracka']...thats not the ps3 or the ps3 controller... pictures of it havent been released yet... GOSH.. IDIOTS.[/QUOTE]
its a possibilty...its the best pic that fit
that is the system, the controller is up in the air

correction, i had sex with Katie.

the console looks sweet but the controller not so much. I'm just gonna hope that that isnt the controller.

Not much evidence that this thing will be backward compatible. The systems are so different that I will not believe it until I see it.

I believe that MS could abadon the old library. The new system will be so much more powerful that xbox games are going to look inferior to Xbox 360 games so it will still sell.

[quote name='gmzone']I wonder if this means the old Xbox will become rare/hard to find one day?[/QUOTE]

Why would it become rare or hard to find? There are millions out there.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Why would it become rare or hard to find? There are millions out there.[/QUOTE]

I think he means if you want to buy a new one.

That sucks because I thought I would be able to get a newer box at a cheaper price but doesn't look like that is going to happen.

bread's done
Back