Er, is there some.... thing I can get to plug 2 HDMI cables into and

Malice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
only take up one HDMI port on my HDTV? I have a PS3, 360 and an HD Cable box, and only 2 HDMI ports on my HDTV. Is there something I can plug my 360 and PS3's HDMI cables into, then plug into one of my HDMI ports on my TV instead of taking up both ports? Where would I find this thing the cheapest at?

Sorry if this all sounds like gibberish. I'm having a hard time understanding it myself, lol.

Sounds like you are looking for an HDMI switchbox, They exist in varying levels of quality / price.

Try googling HDMI switch or HDMI switchbox .... then looking at reviews on each option...

Yep, you need and HDMI switchbox, go to http://monoprice.com and search for it. They are the best place to get these sorts of things. You can get a 2 switch box for roughly $24. At Best Buy this would cost you $80. They have manual and powered switches, obviously the powered switch would cost you more. I bought 2 of the manual switches from them and they work great, you will need to pick up an xtra HDMi cable while you are at it, they have the best prices for those also!

Go to ebay and search for HDMI SWITCH. I bought a 2-port one for $20. Whatever you do, don't buy one from a department or electronics B&M store as I've seen them for as high as $199. On the one I have, you have to physically push a button to switch input from "A" to "B", but I'd rather do that than pay a ridiculous price for one with a sensor. Don't forget the extra cable you'll need. Get that off ebay as well.

as upper posts have said, an HDMI switchbox. Like another post, monoprice.com has the best prices i'v seen on these, and i can vouch for them since i bought a 2 in 1 hdmi switcher and had it in the mail around 4 days later, works perfectly! places like radio shack charge 90-200+ a pop, mine was around 26 shipped. the 3-in-1 box is a few bucks more. mono orice's untis also come in an aluminuim casing vs. other's use plastic, and mono's don't need an a/c pack or batteries to run. currently have a ps3 and 360 hooked into mine and works flawless!

Wow, I didn't expect this many replies. Thanks people! I know Monoprice is awesome as I've already bought 2 HDMI cables from them, so no worries there. Buy.com is good and reliable, too. Thanks for the options, folks!

only take up one HDMI port on my HDTV? I have a PS3, 360 and an HD Cable box, and only 2 HDMI ports on my HDTV. Is there something I can plug my 360 and PS3's HDMI cables into, then plug into one of my HDMI ports on my TV instead of taking up both ports? Where would I find this thing the cheapest at?

Sorry if this all sounds like gibberish. I'm having a hard time understanding it myself, lol.

Sounds like you are looking for an HDMI switchbox, They exist in varying levels of quality / price.

Try googling HDMI switch or HDMI switchbox .... then looking at reviews on each option...

Yep, you need and HDMI switchbox, go to http://monoprice.com and search for it. They are the best place to get these sorts of things. You can get a 2 switch box for roughly $24. At Best Buy this would cost you $80. They have manual and powered switches, obviously the powered switch would cost you more. I bought 2 of the manual switches from them and they work great, you will need to pick up an xtra HDMi cable while you are at it, they have the best prices for those also!

Go to ebay and search for HDMI SWITCH. I bought a 2-port one for $20. Whatever you do, don't buy one from a department or electronics B&M store as I've seen them for as high as $199. On the one I have, you have to physically push a button to switch input from "A" to "B", but I'd rather do that than pay a ridiculous price for one with a sensor. Don't forget the extra cable you'll need. Get that off ebay as well.

as upper posts have said, an HDMI switchbox. Like another post, monoprice.com has the best prices i'v seen on these, and i can vouch for them since i bought a 2 in 1 hdmi switcher and had it in the mail around 4 days later, works perfectly! places like radio shack charge 90-200+ a pop, mine was around 26 shipped. the 3-in-1 box is a few bucks more. mono orice's untis also come in an aluminuim casing vs. other's use plastic, and mono's don't need an a/c pack or batteries to run. currently have a ps3 and 360 hooked into mine and works flawless!

Wow, I didn't expect this many replies. Thanks people! I know Monoprice is awesome as I've already bought 2 HDMI cables from them, so no worries there. Buy.com is good and reliable, too. Thanks for the options, folks!

Well folks, I decided to go with the Monoprice 4X1 Enhanced 1.3b Certified HDMI Switch with built-in Equalizer and Remote(Rev.3.0) and it's been nothing but trouble since I unpacked it... Honestly, I think I got a defective unit. Allow me to first introduce my setup, and then I'll tell you the problems I'm having.

I have my PS3 and 360 hooked into the switchbox via these HDMI cables below:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

I then have another of said HDMI cable going from the switchbox to the HDMI port in my Panasonic TH-50PZ77U

Now that I've explained my setup, onto the problem:

360 - The screen jumps around and is never steady. It's as if there's a freaking earthquake going on everytime I try to play my 360.

PS3 - The screen flashes on and off, and sometime there's like a snowy picture(like if you were watching an old SD tv with no cables hooked into it)

My PS3 and 360 are basically unplayable due to these problems. But if I hooked my 360 or PS3 directly into the HDMI port on my TV, they play flawlessly.

Does anybody know what the problem might be? Or do I simply have a defective unit?

I'm kinda starting to think that since the HDMI cables are 1.3a, and the switch box is 1.3b, maybe they're not compatible? I can't be sure since I don't know much about the technical aspects of these things.

But if that IS the case, is there a 1.3a switchbox anywhere? I've looked and couldn't find one...

Any and all help is appreciated!

I'd try and get it replaced... the customer reviews on the unit are generally good and there are people who mention using the PS3/360 without issue.

[quote name='Malice']Well folks, I decided to go with the Monoprice 4X1 Enhanced 1.3b Certified HDMI Switch with built-in Equalizer and Remote(Rev.3.0) and it's been nothing but trouble since I unpacked it... Honestly, I think I got a defective unit. Allow me to first introduce my setup, and then I'll tell you the problems I'm having.

I have my PS3 and 360 hooked into the switchbox via these HDMI cables below:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

I then have another of said HDMI cable going from the switchbox to the HDMI port in my Panasonic TH-50PZ77U

Now that I've explained my setup, onto the problem:

360 - The screen jumps around and is never steady. It's as if there's a freaking earthquake going on everytime I try to play my 360.

PS3 - The screen flashes on and off, and sometime there's like a snowy picture(like if you were watching an old SD tv with no cables hooked into it)

My PS3 and 360 are basically unplayable due to these problems. But if I hooked my 360 or PS3 directly into the HDMI port on my TV, they play flawlessly.

Does anybody know what the problem might be? Or do I simply have a defective unit?

I'm kinda starting to think that since the HDMI cables are 1.3a, and the switch box is 1.3b, maybe they're not compatible? I can't be sure since I don't know much about the technical aspects of these things.

But if that IS the case, is there a 1.3a switchbox anywhere? I've looked and couldn't find one...

Any and all help is appreciated![/quote]Try out each of the cables and devices one at a time and see if it's the switchbox. As everything works OK separately, at least from your testing above, then yes, you have a defective unit.

1.3b is a superset of 1.3a, so it won't be an issue for a working unit.

I had all kinds of trouble getting a HDMI Switch to work with my cable box. My needs were a little different because I had to have one that was automatic. I documented my troubles HERE to hopefully help out my fellow CAGs.

Thanks for all your suggestions people. I have unhooked and retried everything once more, and all signs point to it being the switch box. I've emailed Monoprice about getting a replacement, and I'm still waiting for the reply. If the new switch box they give me doesn't work, I'll just have to try a different brand.

bread's done
Back