Error 71! Help!!

ArugulaZ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
I was hit with "error 71" last night, and now my Xbox 360 won't boot up at all. I've tried holding down the sync button and powering on, and I've tried unplugging the power supply and reconnecting it, but nothing works. The machine was a used launch window model so it's not under warranty. What should I do? Is it possible to fix the machine or would I be better off saving my pennies for an arcade unit, then slapping my hard drive onto it?

I am not trying to be a Sony fanboy but if you decide to get another console you should deinfintely look into getting a PS3 console. Because for the most part they seem to last longer than the xbox 360. I like both my 360 and PS3 but I have had RROD 5 times and it just gets kinda annoying because it always broke during a big release game :(

But if I am correct I think E71 is hardware failure

TRY THIS: REMOVE YOUR HARD DRIVE AND TRY TO LAUNCH THE 360 BECAUSE THE HARD DRIVE COULD BE THE PROBLEM

good luck and I hope you get everything fixed :D

E71: Dashboard Error - Error within Xam.xex: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

Clear All Installed Game Updates and Console Cache
  1. Go to the "system" blade
  2. Select "memory"
  3. Press Y on the HD symbol
  4. Press X,X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X
  5. A message will appear saying: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"
  6. Select Yes
Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.
  1. With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
  2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
  3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
  4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.
more info here: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried removing the hard drive... no luck there. I've tried the sync trick without success, and I can't get into the dashboard to attempt the memory reset. I do appreciate the help, but I was able to Google all that information earlier in the afternoon. What I think I may have to do is get into the heart of the system and attempt the penny trick. The machine is well past its warranty (and used even when it was purchased) so sending it back to Microsoft probably isn't wise.

I'm kind of wondering why my 360 chose to die right now. I've been using it for four years without incident, but it just went belly up without any explanation. I suspect that the heat of the last few days may have gotten to it... I hadn't used the machine during the hottest days of the week but the components still must have gotten cooked.

Also Chewie, I do have a Playstation 3... it was a fixer upper with mechanical issues in the Blu-Ray drive. I was able to repair it with some spare parts, also ordered from eBay, and it works fine. The only problem is that I prefer the Xbox 360. It's my favorite of the three consoles this generation, although after this hardware malfunction I may have to rethink my allegiance in the console wars. (Sure wish I hadn't gone so Xbox 360 heavy with my game collection, though!)

bread's done
Back