ESPN app

iNFiNiTE HORiZON

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (99%)
Is this app just highlights now? Trying to watch a couple games on there that are on ESPN (no cable at the moment) tonight and it seems all the app has is highlights now, I don't know if there's a way to get the games on there but I know I was able to watch games on there last year.

Yeah they did an unnecessary makeover and now it's a pain to look for stuff. There are still games though, I was just watching the Heat get beat down.

[quote name='Doomtime']Yeah they did an unnecessary makeover and now it's a pain to look for stuff. There are still games though, I was just watching the Heat get beat down.[/QUOTE]

How did you find it? was it just on that home page? For me there's, highlights, highlights, highlights, spotlight, highlights and highlights and then My Sports and Content Guide, which both lead to more highlights, lol.

Sorry not at the house to check at the moment. There's that little content guide you can bring up at the bottom and it brought up the live events playing at that time.

For the most part, it's just highlights. There are a few live games, but usually not really popular ones. Of the 2 ESPN nba games tonight, only one was available to watch, and even then only the west coast could see it. This is because ESPN 3 stopped allowing live streaming of most ESPN 1 and 2 games a couple of months ago.

There will be an updated WatchESPN app soon that will allow 24/7 streaming of the ESPN channels if you subscribe to certain Cable companies.

Yeah, I used to watch games on there all the time... The only time I use it now is when I'm bored and want to waste time listening to Skip Bayless and Screamin A Smith jaw jack back and forth.

I haven't used it for a while, but I hope all the weird shit is still on there. Sepaktakraw (sp?) and the like. That's what I like it for. Not for watching popular sports. I will have to check.

I have a question. I live in a time warner service area and have their internet but not cable tv subscription. My parents live in the same area and I use their login information for the HBO GO App on my xbox 360. However when I use that same information for the ESPN3 app it gives me some error like "Can't verify subscription information".

Has that happened to anyone else?

[quote name='GBAstar']I have a question. I live in a time warner service area and have their internet but not cable tv subscription. My parents live in the same area and I use their login information for the HBO GO App on my xbox 360. However when I use that same information for the ESPN3 app it gives me some error like "Can't verify subscription information".

Has that happened to anyone else?[/QUOTE]

I think Time Warner has to offer ESPN3 for you to get it....perhaps they don't?

[quote name='slickkill77']I've never seen live games on there.[/QUOTE]

You had to have an ISP that supports ESPN3 (formerly ESPN 360) to get live games on there.

Was useless for me as Direcpath doesn't support it.

the ESPN app on the Xbox used to be more than just ESPN3. I used to be able to watch some NBA games, a lot of college football, etc. There were clips in the Xbox ESPN app that weren't available through the ESPN3 website.

now, ESPN has divided content between WatchESPN and ESPN3/ESPN2. for the watchESPN stuff, you need to have a TV package in order to get the streaming stuff.

If you have a TV package, then why wouldn't you just watch ESPN via that? It makes no sense to me. The only reason to have a WatchESPN app would be to allow you to pay for ESPN separate from cable. I'd love that and would happily pay a reasonable fee to get ESPN. Some day, maybe.

[quote name='crunchewy']If you have a TV package, then why wouldn't you just watch ESPN via that? It makes no sense to me. The only reason to have a WatchESPN app would be to allow you to pay for ESPN separate from cable. I'd love that and would happily pay a reasonable fee to get ESPN. Some day, maybe.[/QUOTE]

ESPN3 shows regional games that aren't on ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPNU.

It's great for college sports--it has pretty much all the games that are on their payperview college football and basketball plans.

Also, you don't have to have cable or satellite TV to use it, just an ISP that supports it (the ISPs have to pay ESPN to provide it).

So if you have say Comcast or Verizon Fios internet, but not TV you can still watch ESPN3 and use the WatchESPN apps--unless something has changed recently anyway.

[quote name='crunchewy']If you have a TV package, then why wouldn't you just watch ESPN via that? It makes no sense to me. The only reason to have a WatchESPN app would be to allow you to pay for ESPN separate from cable. I'd love that and would happily pay a reasonable fee to get ESPN. Some day, maybe.[/QUOTE]

nothing you can do about it. the media conglomerates are bound to each other.

everyone knows how valuable sports are and how expensive they are. ABC definitely knows how valuable ESPN is and charges appropriately. But for ABC to charge what they charge for ESPN, they have to make the cable and TV providers happy as well. Because if cable/TV providers are going to pay so much for the channel, but if people are going to cut the cord anyway because of other ways to watch it, why would the cable/TV providers pay those fees? So to keep those people subscribed, ABC is going to have to eliminate those people who are getting a free ride.

ABC/ESPN would love to be able to charge you for ESPN access. But the media companies that pay ABC so much money to have it on their cable channels completely balk on that idea.

most channels average around 20 cents a subscriber per month. The Food Network gets 8 cents, for example. Nickelodeon is the top rated network and gets 44 cents.

Then you look at ESPN/ESPN2 which gets over $5 per subscriber per month. That means out of all the thousands or hundreds of channels you have, ESPN alone makes up 20% of programming costs. If you want to cut the cord, your cable provider will complain that they're paying 20% of their entire budget on 2 channels which means something has to give.

It's shocking how expensive sports is. ESPN is over $5. the next is Fox Sports which is about $2.75. then the third most expensive channel is TNT at 99 cents.

you, the sports fan, made ESPN what it is today. you have to live with that.

Yep. It sucks, but nothing we can do about it. Sports is the only reason I pay for TV. Shows I'd rather wait and rent or stream than watch live for the most part.

But sports is big money. With college conferences getting a couple hundred million dollars a year in their TV rights deals, and pro sports getting even more, the sports networks and payperview packages are going to be pricey.

I still wish it would go ala carte so I could just get the sports networks and over the air networks. Even with sports being the biggest part of the bill, it would still knock a decent chunk off the bill to only pay for the 10 or so channels I watch.

yeah, the time when a la carte is offered is when the potential number of customers paying $10/month for example outweighs the millions/billions that companies like Comcast or Time Warner pay to have the channel.

Because the minute that ABC offers ESPN a la carte, Time Warner is going to say screw you and withdraw the millions that they are paying. And I doubt ABC wants to manage millions of customers paying $10/month rather than a huge lump sum that Comcast pays.

nobody wants to jeopardize the insane money both sides are getting.

[quote name='dmaul1114']You had to have an ISP that supports ESPN3 (formerly ESPN 360) to get live games on there.

Was useless for me as Direcpath doesn't support it.[/QUOTE]

Bright House (Time Warner) has had espn 3 for a while now. Months.

bread's done
Back