ESPN Fantasy Football Leauge

Seems like it...I'm leaning towards $50/$10 so it's almost like winner take all, but the 2nd place person at least gets something for making it all the way.

Sometime this week I'm going to create a separate Paypal account for everyone to send their $5 into.

I'll probably either DM it out or send a league message since we are all signed up so I don't have it floating around on the boards.

Once we get that out, if you send in your money and want to send me a DM that would be awesome too so I can keep track.

Hey folks...just sent out a league message about dues and where to send them.  

I created a specific paypal account for the dues so I don't get them mixed up in my personal account and we won't get charged at the end of the season for disbursement as we would've on third party sites.

All of the specifics are lined out in the email, but if there are any questions/comments/concerns let me know! 

Damn, that league email went to spam folder on Gmail.

Just a heads up for anybody else. I had to create a filter and add the send to contacts.

Edit ... Money sent.

Hey folks...just sent out a league message about dues and where to send them.

I created a specific paypal account for the dues so I don't get them mixed up in my personal account and we won't get charged at the end of the season for disbursement as we would've on third party sites.

All of the specifics are lined out in the email, but if there are any questions/comments/concerns let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, that league email went to spam folder on Gmail.

Just a heads up for anybody else. I had to create a filter and add the send to contacts.

Edit ... Money sent.
Weird...I know my work league was having the same issue with the ESPN emails.

If anyone is having trouble with receiving the emails, let me know.

Also if people want to start looking to the rules and scoring to let me know any items that should be voted on to change, i'd say now is a good time as well.

I'm also going to split the teams into two divisions as well for fun, the divisions will be chosen based on the random draft order...odds in one and evens in the other.

I am very sorry to say but I will have to withdraw from this lg! I wouldn't not been active and would of screwed you guys over, best wishes to all of you guys! Sorry again

I am very sorry to say but I will have to withdraw from this lg! I wouldn't not been active and would of screwed you guys over, best wishes to all of you guys! Sorry again
No worries, glad you were honest about it up front well before the draft so we had time to fill the spot!

Anyone know of anyone that would want their spot or anyone new passing through the thread interested?

Let me know!

14 teams is too many. RBs that can score points are scarce as it is, and the pickings get quite slim at every other position when two more full rosters get thrown in. On the other hand, I'm all for taking more of other people's money, if that's the road you want to go down.  :D/

14 teams is too many. RBs that can score points are scarce as it is, and the pickings get quite slim at every other position when two more full rosters get thrown in. On the other hand, I'm all for taking more of other people's money, if that's the road you want to go down. :D/
Doesn't matter to me...i'm fine with 12 myself for the same reason but don't want to close people out if we have interested parties.

There are still a few stragglers for sending in their funds so if one of them doesn't pay up, we might bump them, but they still have more than a week left so I'm not too worried.

I am sending my money, but if you change it to a 14 or 16 man league I am out.
Yes! Ultimatums FTW!

14 is too many, and 16 is ludicrous.

12 is perfect. (For rosters. 10 is actually perfect for scheduling, but we'll get into that later)

I finally got a chance to look at the scoring, and the issue I always have with the standard system is the points for yards allowed.

Based on the current system, an average defensive performance in a game in the 2012 season would be very close to costing you one point in scoring (347 was the average yards allowed; 350 gets you -1). In addition, a team's superior offensive performance could cripple your scoring. Say your defense's offense jumps out to 21-0 lead, forcing the opponent to throw for much of the game. In those instances, 400 yards is definitely not out of the question, even 500, with no threat of a loss. Basically, your defensive scoring is being punished even if your D is doing their job. My proposal is this: Keep the 5 for under 100 yds (didn't happen at all last year... 117 was the low), keep the 3 for 100-199, then follow this chart (keeping with the standard 50 yard increments after the 300 yard mark):

5 - <100

3 - 100-199

2 - 200-299

1 - 300-350

0 - 350-399

-1 - 400-449

-2 - 450-499

-3 - 500-549

-4 - >550

Teams would still be penalized for giving up a lot of yards, but it wouldn't be such a significant penalty, since the losing teams gained more yards than the victors in 38% of games last year.

The other scoring option I noticed was in the miscellaneous section, you have kick and punt return touchdowns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they're in that category, they are counted for the RETURNER. The D/ST category already has kick and punt return touchdowns included. For example, when Percy Harvin (upon his return) runs a kick back for the Seahawks, he would get 6 points for his owner, and the Seahawks D would also get 6 points for their owner. 12 points for one touchdown? Yikes. Players should be drafted for their offensive ability, not for their return prowess. That's what the D/ST category is for. Might want to look into that.

As for scheduling, with 12 teams, 4 divisions and 2 conferences works best. You can't set up the conferences with ESPN's system, but you can manually adjust the playoffs when they start to account for that. Let me clarify. With 12 teams and 2 divisions, in the ESPN leagues, they will make sure you play everyone at least once (11 games), leaving the final 2 games as division games. You wouldn't be playing each division opponent twice, leaving the schedule open to unfair skewing. With 4 divisions of 3 teams each, you would still play all teams once (again, 11 games), but those last two games would be against your division opponents. You're also set up perfectly for 4 automatic bids (division winners) and 2 wild cards (next best record in said conference, using standard tiebreakers). This is where you'll need to adjust manually, since ESPN will pull the next two best records, no matter what division they're from (which would be okay, too, I guess).

These are just my opinions, so do with them what you like.

ltrain, I'll take a deeper look through later on after work, but I'm with you on most of the points you have.  I barely touched anything in the scoring except for making it PPR, so the rest of it is standard ESPN.

fatmanforlife, I'm not huge on upping the bench spots as it allows people to stash players and runs into the same issue of 14 or 16 team leagues that the waiver wire becomes irrelevant after a few weeks since everyone worth something is already on a team.  I play in a league where it's 4 bench spots and it tends to make the weekly waiver wire more lively.

Keep them coming in and i'm open to any and all revisions...especially if people want to keep this league going past this year or want to do keepers!

Yes! Ultimatums FTW!

14 is too many, and 16 is ludicrous.

12 is perfect. (For rosters. 10 is actually perfect for scheduling, but we'll get into that later)

I finally got a chance to look at the scoring, and the issue I always have with the standard system is the points for yards allowed.

Based on the current system, an average defensive performance in a game in the 2012 season would be very close to costing you one point in scoring (347 was the average yards allowed; 350 gets you -1). In addition, a team's superior offensive performance could cripple your scoring. Say your defense's offense jumps out to 21-0 lead, forcing the opponent to throw for much of the game. In those instances, 400 yards is definitely not out of the question, even 500, with no threat of a loss. Basically, your defensive scoring is being punished even if your D is doing their job. My proposal is this: Keep the 5 for under 100 yds (didn't happen at all last year... 117 was the low), keep the 3 for 100-199, then follow this chart (keeping with the standard 50 yard increments after the 300 yard mark):

5 - <100

3 - 100-199

2 - 200-299

1 - 300-350

0 - 350-399

-1 - 400-449

-2 - 450-499

-3 - 500-549

-4 - >550

Teams would still be penalized for giving up a lot of yards, but it wouldn't be such a significant penalty, since the losing teams gained more yards than the victors in 38% of games last year.

The other scoring option I noticed was in the miscellaneous section, you have kick and punt return touchdowns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they're in that category, they are counted for the RETURNER. The D/ST category already has kick and punt return touchdowns included. For example, when Percy Harvin (upon his return) runs a kick back for the Seahawks, he would get 6 points for his owner, and the Seahawks D would also get 6 points for their owner. 12 points for one touchdown? Yikes. Players should be drafted for their offensive ability, not for their return prowess. That's what the D/ST category is for. Might want to look into that.

As for scheduling, with 12 teams, 4 divisions and 2 conferences works best. You can't set up the conferences with ESPN's system, but you can manually adjust the playoffs when they start to account for that. Let me clarify. With 12 teams and 2 divisions, in the ESPN leagues, they will make sure you play everyone at least once (11 games), leaving the final 2 games as division games. You wouldn't be playing each division opponent twice, leaving the schedule open to unfair skewing. With 4 divisions of 3 teams each, you would still play all teams once (again, 11 games), but those last two games would be against your division opponents. You're also set up perfectly for 4 automatic bids (division winners) and 2 wild cards (next best record in said conference, using standard tiebreakers). This is where you'll need to adjust manually, since ESPN will pull the next two best records, no matter what division they're from (which would be okay, too, I guess).

These are just my opinions, so do with them what you like.
Ignore

Everyone still ready and good to go for tonight 8p Central?

I might possibly be drafting from the road as well, but should hopefully be back in time for any last minute changes or issues

There is still one person that hasn't paid up, so if that person is you, please pay up by draft time tonight

All set, tonight still works. What happens if the individual still doesn't pay before draft? Will it drop to a 11 man league, or?

All set, tonight still works. What happens if the individual still doesn't pay before draft? Will it drop to a 11 man league, or?
I don't think you can do 11 teams. Worst case the person is dropped from the league after the draft autopicks and someone could take over the team.

I know! I thought I was toast after Sunday and some how D-Jax came to play...if Foster had been healthy, it might have been closer

Anyone else?  It was a fun week to watch and I'm super glad that I picked up Redzone again this year!

I know! I thought I was toast after Sunday and some how D-Jax came to play...if Foster had been healthy, it might have been closer

Anyone else? It was a fun week to watch and I'm super glad that I picked up Redzone again this year!
Redzone is a must have if you play fantasy football.

Just start throwing offers around. Someone might bite. If I had anything to offer you, I would. As it stands, I'm searching for one as well.

I'm down for trades...just got Brees/Gore/Bowe for Newton/Charles/Wallace in my other league, so I'm always down for some wheeling and dealing!

What is the trade rules for this league? Is it 24 hr commissioner accept? Was looking to start a few players this week and shake things up. 

bread's done
Back