ESPN NFL 2005 $20 @ Gamestop - New MSRP?

I think it is pretty obvious that $19.99 is what the game is going to retail for. That being said, I will wait and pick this up at Best Buy with a GGC for $14.99. You pre-order guys are getting ripped off! :D

I wanna know how this is an obvious price point for NFL ESPN 2k5? No official announcement has been made by ESPNVideogames or TakeTwo. I know the publisher did mention bringing the Sega Sports titles at a value priced point, but $19.99 is just plain insane for this incredible looking title. I really hope that EB or Gamestop honors there price quotes even if it is a mistake. I ordered 2 copies for the Xbox version from both retailers. If the deal is legit, then I will just cancel one of the orders, if not then I hope one of the retailers will honor the preorder purchase that was made at the $19.99 price point. Here's to hoping in all that is good.

Don't the coupon codes just work with Coke's on-line store?

nope, they are for EB. you get to choose if you want it in the form of a regular coupon for retail locations or as a coupon code for ebgames.com. i just used one to pick up espn baseball for $30.

Wow, looks like I'll be buying a football game this year (pre-ordering it right now). I usually only buy one every few years because I don't like paying $50 for games I only play a few months.

Thanks for the links, and please let ESPN come out on top this year.

if the price stays at 19.99, do you guys think VC will charge for online play to make up the price difference?

The previews for this game look freaking awesome. There looks to be a ton more stuff in this one that's new. Madden has what, right stick tackling, newspaper headlines, and Tony Bruno? Doesn't stack up. I was even thinking about passing up Madden in favor of NCAA this year, and if this price holds up I think I will definitely pass up Madden (at least for $50).

Is the ESPN game still going to have that Cribs thing where you unlock furniture and stuff?

If they do this for the NHL game, and they fix all the ridiculous bugs that plagued last year's game (especially in franchise), I will be in heaven.

Live has always suckes so much ass compared to ESPN/2K. i payed $50 for Live '02, and it was horrible. then i bought 2K2, and it was great. plus, i was already used to the controls from playing it on DC.

i don't know how they can afford this. Sega since the Saturn, Sega has made such bad marketing decisions. i really hope they don't go bankrupt.

Well its not really sega that would be losing the money as its the distributor that takes the lion share of responsibility. And its not sega anymore per se remember:) Take 2 wants to gain market share. I would have gone for 29.99 myself but to each their own. I will be buying multiple copies for people to kep em from buying madden (damn lemmings) its not so much that espn is better (i think it is) its just people who buy a game just because they always have are missing out on other good titles.

I put in a pre-order at gamestop. Although if it becomes clear that this will be the price everywhere and not a temporary thing, I'll probably cancel the order and plan to pick it up at Best Buy with the GGC.

Hopefully this does pan out. I picked up Madden '04, and it will be nice to check out the other top title in '05.

Just to ease the mind of some of you positive thinkers. I spoke to someone higher up in EB and they said they had conference call about the upcoming $19.99 ESPN Football. I haven't heard confirmation on hockey, but I hope so. The GGC isn't a bad idea though.

Also does anyone know how to cancel a gamestop order through the webpage. I thought it would be as easy as EB, but I can't figure it out.

[quote name='repetske']Also does anyone know how to cancel a gamestop order through the webpage. I thought it would be as easy as EB, but I can't figure it out.[/quote]

You have to send them an e-mail, but it still seems fairly easy. Not nearly as slick as ebames.com however.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/howtocancel.asp

If it's getting to be within a few days of the game's release I would probably call them up just to make sure, though.

This isnt too surprising, and makes way too much sense. The last few years they brought the game out at $50, sold poorly, went to 9.99 and THEN sold a ton of copies. Cutting right to $19.99 at the start will be a major advantage in comparison to Madden, especialy since they will still have online and the like.

this is incredible...$20 for a gorgeous, well playing, online nfl game on release? i still havent seen 2k4 for less than $30, lol.

Not to put the cart in front of the horse here, since we don't know the deal w/ NHL, but....

Was ESPN NHL any good last year? I was under the impression that both EA and Sega's hockey kind of blew last year and Hitz was the good one if you turned off all the arcadey BS.

[quote name='blookie']Not to put the cart in front of the horse here, since we don't know the deal w/ NHL, but....

Was ESPN NHL any good last year? I was under the impression that both EA and Sega's hockey kind of blew last year and Hitz was the good one if you turned off all the arcadey BS.[/quote]

After playing a season and a half, besides the ridiculous injuries in the game, ESPN NHL is my favorite hockey game of all time. I know those are big words, but I'm serious. If it's 19.99 I may just buy two because it's that good.

If anyone ever wants to play on Xbox Live, feel free to PM me.

Seems as though it might be a really good franchise... Gamespot and 1up: are both running previews that seem quite enticing. Xbox will have custom sound track support! Im thinking this could be a great thang and I might even buy it!

I feel an earthquake in the video game world. I'm measuring it at 6.8.

I don't see how the people at EA are not shitting themselves over this news. They have every gaming website and message board lit up like a Christmas tree telling people how good this product is and now how cheap it is. I'm hoping that FINALLY the $50 annual fee to get a new sports game is a thing of the past.

Honestly, most years Xbox could just get a season download patch, charge someone $20 and be done with it. All I have to say is. it's about time someone did this.

If only their college sports line would compare to EA's...

That's all I ever get.

Although I'd DEFINITELY be happy to get my hands on $20 hockey...

Jebus. I haven't bought a football game since QB Club 98 since I refuse to buy one every year (6 years?), but I'm probably gonna have to get in on this too. I don't think I'll pre-order it, but it sounds like this is the real price, so I'll just wait until release.

[quote name='repetske'][quote name='blookie']Not to put the cart in front of the horse here, since we don't know the deal w/ NHL, but....

Was ESPN NHL any good last year? I was under the impression that both EA and Sega's hockey kind of blew last year and Hitz was the good one if you turned off all the arcadey BS.[/quote]

After playing a season and a half, besides the ridiculous injuries in the game, ESPN NHL is my favorite hockey game of all time. I know those are big words, but I'm serious. If it's 19.99 I may just buy two because it's that good.[/quote]

ESPN Hockey ruled but the injury bug and some other things did make playing a season a pain in the ass. This was because they switched developers from 2k3 and thus Kush had much less time to make the game. With a full development cycle going in to 2k5, it should be amazing.

I would just die if ESPN Hockey had the minor leagues like MVP Baseball does. Playing AHL and ECHL games would freaking rule.

This is fantastic, I love this idea, considering how you have to usually buy the game each year it's fantastic that it would only cost 20 bucks. SEGA again you show that you actually do care about gammers and want the improve the industry. Colin Mcree rally I think is also doing this. Each year a new rally game and it will only cost 20 bucks.

Oh and we need to start an Xbox Live CAG leauge now, since so many of us seem to be getting it.

:lol: I have bought countless games from this site. You guys are all awesome but this has got to be one of the best deals I have ever seen!!! I have told everyone I know about this, have already ordered mine and am waiting for a possible ESPN Tennis this year?? You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the great deals:)

[quote name='captainfrizo']I just hope they apply this "strategy" to ESPN NBA Basketball. I wanted to get it last year but the steep price kept me away.[/quote]

Same here. If they do this every year for $20 though I'll definately get them annually. Great strategy.

This is what ALL sports games should go for, to be honest... I mean... why pay $50 for a sports game that will 1)be obselete in a year or 2)be pretty much screwed in terms of accurate rosters (see NBA Ballers)... which brings me to a point about said NBA Ballers game... the date of the rosters were accurate as of Feb 5th, 2004 I think... you mean they couldn't wait a few more days until the NBA TRADING DEADLINE in order to make sure things were right in terms of teams? I mean good God, Rasheed Wallace as an Atlanta Hawk? Boy did that ever suck... and I'm from Atlanta for crying out loud... he should be in Piston gear...

thanks sega, hopefully this works out for you. ESPN imo was the better game than madden last year (and I have played madden since genesis) and looks like it will be a killer game this year as well. here's rooting for the underdog!

And they moved up the release to late July too!

Deffinately one of the smartest marketing strategies for ESPN Sports. Considering most of their new games are getting tons of hype, releasing them at 20$, is going to make them sell at least triple the amount (making 10$ more per copy if they were to sell as much as they would at 50$ retail). I mean, maybe not, but most likely, what are the chances of them not? Not like EA gives a damn about the customers. I'm most likely going to buy this game, great deal.

Man...after seeing the IGN preview of this year's ESPN football game (adding your own music in to be played over the stadium PA - awesome), there is no way in hell I'm NOT picking this one up. I've always sort of favored the 2k games over EA's offerings anyway, this ensures I won't be switching allegiances.

I honestly can't stand EA...from their endless Sims expansion, to their dragging their feet on fixing and patching the godawful BF1942, to taking until 2004 to get on XBox Live...ugh. Bring on Sega's games. If they keep this price for their other sports games, I'll buy the NFL, NHL, and NBA games.

even though plenty of people will by the game this year, i agree with the statement before saying that a casual gamer will see the game when it releases and will think of it as a half ass game. Unless espn has better advertising techniques to get it known to the public, madden will always sell more units, but i am still dissapointed of madden like usual

If I did not know the Madden or ESPN football games and saw them each at 20 and 50 dollars, I would be leery of the 20 dollar title. ESPN does need to adverise the hell out of this game.

Damn ESPN 2005 (Xbox) is the top preorder on EBgames.com with the PS2 verison is the second. It is out doing Madden....even Halo 2: LE

[quote name='manofpeace20']If I did not know the Madden or ESPN football games and saw them each at 20 and 50 dollars, I would be leery of the 20 dollar title. ESPN does need to adverise the hell out of this game.[/quote]

Please shoot me if I ever become that uneducated.

With the $20 launch price now being officially announced, I think preorders will slow down quite a bit, and many people may even cancel their preorders (people who were getting it because they thought it was a mistake and hoped to eBay for big profits at release). I never buy sports games at release (Tony Hawk doesn't count), but I plan to pick this one up. I really hope this works out for them (retailers, distributers, and publishers) so that we see more quality games intentionally released at value prices (instead of nearly instantly dropping to value prices, like BG&E).

bread's done
Back