ESRB Ratings in the Real World

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
You’ve probably already read that the ESRB has hired Penny Arcade to create an advertising campaign that will better connect with gamers.
Today, I am pleased to announce that Senator Hillary Clinton has hired CAG to portray how the ESRB ratings actually work in the real world.
Big thanks to WhipSmartBanky for helping (read: doing the real work) put this together.

E for Everyone

esrb-e-final.jpg

T for Teen
esrb-t-final.jpg

M for Mature
esrb-m-final.jpg

AO for Adults Only
esrb-ao-final.jpg

That kicks Penny Arcade's ass up and down the Internet. Kudos. I know I'm one of the few who find them completely unfunny and grotesquely overrated, I know you guys aren't trying to compete with them, and that they had to be on their 'best behavior' for the (pointless) ESRB campaign, but this still trumps pretty much every one of their strips I've ever seen.

P.S. M-Rated "Daddy" reminds me of Jason Mewes for more than one reason.

[quote name='Chacrana']Very awesome, but it does pale in comparison to the shit Strell did yesterday.

Gotta send this stuff to my friends...[/quote]

link? or explaination

The guy smoking crack looks like CheapyD's cartoon avater with a wig. Most likely since they're both draw by the Whipsmartbanky but I wonder...

good stuff, although I still not sure how I feel about this site being really funny without my involvment.

and WSB is a genius who really needs to do more stuff, because I know cheapy and he's not that funny

See, I remember a time when being a "gamer" wasn't synonymous with being trash or a pedophile, but instead these guys:

15264__nerds_l.jpg

So we've somehow actually found a way to collectively earn an even worse generalization. Thanks, Rockstar. Thanks, Madden franchise. Thanks, online chat.

[quote name='the3rdkey']the Mature one is the best

:rofl:[/QUOTE]
Sad thing was, that's exactly what I described to my fiancee after getting back from GameStop last night. Hick mom with a couple hick kids (with stunning camo ensembles) and a little kid who was running around cussing up a storm (not horrible, but I sure as hell didn't yell "hell," "damn," and "freakin" when I was 10, let alone in front of my mom). They were all excited about Hitman.

[quote name='botticus']Sad thing was, that's exactly what I described to my fiancee after getting back from GameStop last night. Hick mom with a couple hick kids (with stunning camo ensembles) and a little kid who was running around cussing up a storm (not horrible, but I sure as hell didn't yell "hell," "damn," and "freakin" when I was 10, let alone in front of my mom). They were all excited about Hitman.[/quote]

What's even better is when you go see Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects" with another adult friend, and 2 women bring their 7 year-old kids into the same theater. They got up and walked out after 10 minutes. My friend and I looked at each other and said "What the fuck did they expect? It's an R-rated movie."

The kids probably convinced them that it wasn't any worse than the Matrix movies that the 'parents' let them watch when they were five.

[quote name='jollydwarf']That kicks Penny Arcade's ass up and down the Internet. Kudos. I know I'm one of the few who find them completely unfunny and grotesquely overrated, I know you guys aren't trying to compete with them, and that they had to be on their 'best behavior' for the (pointless) ESRB campaign, but this still trumps pretty much every one of their strips I've ever seen.

P.S. M-Rated "Daddy" reminds me of Jason Mewes for more than one reason.[/quote]
N...N...No, just...No.

Anyway - humorous.

[quote name='shieryda']What's even better is when you go see Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects" with another adult friend, and 2 women bring their 7 year-old kids into the same theater. They got up and walked out after 10 minutes. My friend and I looked at each other and said "What the fuck did they expect? It's an R-rated movie."[/QUOTE]

When I saw Kill Bill vol 1, some "parents" brought in a kid at least that young, and they stayed the entire time. :whistle2:|

I think it's sad. :cry:

Not only that these sort of things do actually occur on a regular basis, but also that everyone blames the ESRB for being out of touch or too hasty. Granted they've had their issues, but they're all the industry has. I'd much rather have them assigning ratings than a government-controlled board. If they could incorporate things like actually playing each game for one hour, like that Harvard study did, or holding developers more accountable for misrepresenting the content of their game, then they might have a stronger foothold against government regulations than just a few numbers from surveys and studies.

I guess I should pop in here and take a bow. Thanks for all the great comments!

There were initially two ideas for the AO panel. Here's the one that didn't make the cut:

esrb-ao-alternate-final.jpg

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I guess I should pop in here and take a bow. Thanks for all the great comments!

There were initially two ideas for the AO panel. Here's the one that didn't make the cut:

esrb-ao-alternate-final.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I like the final one better, but this one's actually pretty funny too... but really, nothing could beat the Myspace comment.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']N...N...No, just...No.

Anyway - humorous.[/QUOTE]

Well, I know that I'm in the distinct minority of 'gamers' when it comes to whether or not Penny Arcade is funny (although make no mistake, I am far from alone in that opinion), but then again I don't exactly look to my gaming peers for the final word on things like 'emotional depth' and character or story development, either.

The Penny Arcade guys sure know their audience, I'll give them that.

hahha those are great

the esrb needs to hire someone to explain what they do to the house/senate, and prolly the public too since everybody thinks esrb is the same as the fcc

[quote name='jollydwarf']Well, I know that I'm in the distinct minority of 'gamers' when it comes to whether or not Penny Arcade is funny (although make no mistake, I am far from alone in that opinion), but then again I don't exactly look to my gaming peers for the final word on things like 'emotional depth' and character or story development, either.

The Penny Arcade guys sure know their audience, I'll give them that.[/quote]

That's all i'm saying. Different strokes for different folks. PA definately has their audience and in the end both communities have their own strengths.

bread's done
Back