eStarland: 25% off orders of 3 or more used games through May 4

BWOzar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
eStarland has a promo going on for 25% off purchases of 3 or more used games through May 4. They also have free shipping on orders over $20. Enter the promo code SPRINGSTAR at checkout.

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=Preowned

While the site isn't all that well known, I've had good experiences with them in the past and, in addition to new stuff, they have a pretty solid selection of classic games available.

I don't know what you get from ordering online, but their used products in store are almost all in like-new condition. You also won't have to deal with some of the employees who have terrible attitudes and make doing business the opposite of a pleasue.

[quote name='Dev518']I don't know what you get from ordering online, but their used products in store are almost all in like-new condition. You also won't have to deal with some of the employees who have terrible attitudes and make doing business the opposite of a pleasue.[/QUOTE]

I've been doing online business with them since '07, and while I've had good experiences with my purchases and trade-ins, their customer service attitude is unbelievably bad. I almost always expect a short, unfriendly answer, and I hate that about them.

Otherwise, they have the best trade-in prices around. I've quite literally traded in thousands of dollars to them over the years. So far so good.

Yea, I've used them for years and can vouch for their good quality games and great TIV's, but mediocre CS. Still, I keep going back.

I think I might trade some shit in for some future preorders since they have pretty good values for some of the stuff I have. I might see about these used games when I get home tonight

Traded in my vita for $200 last year to get the white one from amazon and have been trying to decide whether or not to cash out for $140. Maybe I can use some credit on this sale first. Thanks OP

[quote name='Georgious']It's a shame - though unsurprising - to hear they're dicks in-store too.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much this. I will never go back there. Got a bad experience the first time, not wasting my gas to travel that place to trade in my stuffs.

I ordered from them on Thursday night, I got

Viewtiful Joe (DS)
Baten Kaitos (GameCube)
Tony Hawk 4 (GameCube)
Ms Pacman Maze Madness (DC)

for $33 shipped. The over $20 free shipping deal really helped add to the overall deal.

Everything game this morning. It's all used but in nearly perfect condition, I'm very impressed.

I've always had pretty good luck with Estarland. My trips into the store have been okay. In my experience it's not that the employees are rude, it's that they are kids who don't give a fuck. Usually it's worth it just to go see what crazy items they have on the shelves.

Their used game prices are pretty high because they give such high trade-in values. I will typically go there when I want something new and I have a number of older games to get rid of. That's worked out well for me in the past! Deals like this are a good way to get their used games though. I traded in some duplicates and got:

Bible Adventures NES in box
King of the Monsters 2 Gen in box
Jurassic Park Gen in box
Greendog Gen in box

The last two were gimmies due to the 25 percent off. :D Glad to finally knock Bible Adventures off my list.

I was actually at the eStarland store in Virginia here last weekend and I can vouch that they clean and (likely) make sure that every game works. I was actually writing up an article for them that's probably 80% done but I did make a list of positives and negatives that I'll share with you guys. Keep in mind, this is only for the store and not for the online part that may or may not be run by the employees I met.

Positive
•The store has the biggest selection of Sega Genesis, Saturn, 32X and Sega CD games that I’ve ever seen. The NES/SNES/N64 selection while big, was a little lacking in worthwhile titles as they seem to have either locked away or have sold all of the most noteworthy games. Atari selection (all systems) seem to be small but was decent for what they had.
•Portable games weren't really on the floor unless they had a box. A lot of DS/3DS/PSP/Vita games are within the glass cases but are available to buy.
•PS2/Xbox/Gamecube games are on the floor or on shelves that you can check out freely. Some shelves with these are behind counters though.
•The store has a 90 day return policy for anything. For games/consoles that maybe 5-30+ years old you never know who or what was handling the games/consoles before you. This made me comfortable on buying my Sega CD from them (and yes, it works).

Negative
•Every game that has ever been a recognizable IP such as any Nintendo IP or popular IP in the past such as Ninja Gaiden or Resident Evil are going to be pricey or extremely overpriced.
•As I stated earlier, every uncommon or rare game is locked away. Even games that I wouldn’t even consider rare. If a game that is common but is well-known is missing on the floor, it’s likely locked away somewhere.
•Every PlayStation (PS1) game is behind the counter on a shelf. I saw even more PS1 games in front of the shelf within boxes. I found it extremely odd on how a store that’s been open for nearly a year not to have their PS1 inventory on the floor. I likely would of walked away with some PS1 games if I could of actually looked through the shelf (I can’t see from far away and I don’t have glasses yet). I asked a store clerk to see if I could actually look through the games but he refused even if he was watching me go through them. You would have to know what you wanted beforehand by either being a psychic or by digging through countless hours on the website.
•Oh, and they have shelves like this on the other side of the store that you aren't allowed go through as well (mainly containing older Gamecube/PS2 games) that not even people with perfect vision can see. Make sure to bring your binoculars.
•On my previous note, the store seems to have no concern over theft as they had copies of Mega Man III and Chrono Trigger within reachable displays that could be yanked out at any time (I can even see customers taking them out so that they could buy them). Their available copies of these games were not available on the floor. The store does have cameras, but with that in mind, why was I not allowed to search through a shelf with permission when the store has a ton of cameras? Okay, I am a little upset but still I fail to see why they forbid customers to look through some games that could lead into more purchases.
•The store’s pricing on most retro video game hardware is terrible. The Sega CD I walked away with was over the double the price I paid for my first one but I only bought it due to me being desperate for another one (and that it seems no man alive can fix my old Sega CD’s laser).
•On that note, they do offer video game hardware repair. I was told by a store clerk that it was very expensive though. He even mentioned at one point that a PS3 laser cost $100 which I knew couldn’t have been true since I bought one back in the fall of last year for not even $40. Something seems off here…
•All current/next gen games cannot be browsed through. Maybe this is because they don’t gut their games like GameStop, but even GameStop lets you browse through new and used games for the current/next gen consoles. I feel they would sell newer games if they would just buy display cases and put used games on the floor and just place the discs elsewhere. This isn’t really hard to do.
•It seems that nearly every current gen game price is never updated unless the game is fairly old.

It’s sad to say that my negatives do outweigh the positives. Keep in mind, for a store that’s only been open for less than a year, I consider this to be a decent start.

To note on the employees, I figure from their appearance that they are probably around 18-23 years old. There were only two in store at the time (it was last Sunday to be exact). With the exception of their BS reasoning that I couldn't browse through behind-the-counter games with supervision was BS, they weren't so bad. If this thread is still active, I'll try and post the link to my blog with the full write-up when I'm done with it (finals week which is why the article got pushed aside). Do keep in mind, the store really isn't that bad. The part above is just a part of the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to look for a purchase(s) on their site but dam is everything is really over priced. I think ill just wait for the TooManyGames convention to start making my retro game purchases.

Yeah the store itself is pretty cruddy other than the overwhelming nature of it. I assume they do 90 percent of their business online since the new one is in the middle of nowhere and doesn't even look like a store from the outside. Every transaction in the store is done through the website too.

On the pricing, I get the frustration but there are some great deals to be had if you find them. Combined with the hyped trade in values you actually come out really well IF you trade. That's the trade off, har har (I hate myself). :D

One thing worth mentioning is they have been having some great events lately including classic game marketplaces and tournaments. I haven't been but I consider that a positive.

[quote name='SanjiX']I was actually at the eStarland store in Virginia here last weekend and I can vouch that they clean and (likely) make sure that every game works. I was actually writing up an article for them that's probably 80% done but I did make a list of positives and negatives that I'll share with you guys. Keep in mind, this is only for the store and not for the online part that may or may not be run by the employees I met.

To note on the employees, I figure from their appearance that they are probably around 18-23 years old. There were only two in store at the time (it was last Sunday to be exact). With the exception of their BS reasoning that I couldn't browse through behind-the-counter games with supervision was BS, they weren't so bad. If this thread is still active, I'll try and post the link to my blog with the full write-up when I'm done with it (finals week which is why the article got pushed aside). Do keep in mind, the store really isn't that bad. The part above is just a part of the article.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back