Eternal Sonata New - $29.99 PS3 Amazon & FSSS

ive always been interested in this game.. is it worth it? I tried to get it for the 360 but fail.. but the PS3 version does have Japanese voices which does pull me in tremendously.

EDIT: Pulled the trigger. I had some amazon credit laying around so at $9 + FSSS I said why not. after looking at a view Youtube videos I was like.. ok.. Should be worth the $10 at least :)

[quote name='ncc1701p']ive always been interested in this game.. is it worth it? I tried to get it for the 360 but fail.. but the PS3 version does have Japanese voices which does pull me in tremendously.

EDIT: Pulled the trigger. I had some amazon credit laying around so at $9 + FSSS I said why not. after looking at a view Youtube videos I was like.. ok.. Should be worth the $10 at least :)[/QUOTE]

The battle system becomes pretty interesting over time, and a lot of the environments are absolutely beautiful.
Unfortunately, that's about all the praise I can give the game. The story is almost non-existent, the characters are barely that, and the dialogue/cutscenes will make you want to kill yourself.

I really enjoyed the game on the 360. I played through it twice to get everything. The story is...well it is a JRPG so the story doesn't make a whole lot of sense but the music and battle system were nice. I really liked the art.

Maybe I will get the PS3 version to check out the new stuff.

Oh and the 360 version had Japanese and English language tracks you could toggle at any time.

The story in the game is fantastic. I don't know what you guys are talking about. There's a ton to it with multiple layers contrasting what you're doing in-game with the real-life history lessons behind Chopin's life. It's wonderful.

I ordered it a week or so ago and it was estimated to arrive two days ago and it's still not here so I don't know what the problem is. It definitely shipped though so it must just be slow because of 4th of July.

Very much worth it. You won't be disappointed. Played through it twice on the 360. I would gladly buy it again foe the extra content the PS3 offers... If I had a PS3

Not a deal. It has been on Amazon at that price for quite a while. If I recall 3-6 months ago it was around 23.99 and stayed at that price for quite a while. I have been eying it to drop to at least under $20

You must absolutely love JRPGs to enjoy this. it's a monstrosity, imo. I waited ages to play it, kept an open mind, loved the screen shots. Turns out this thing looks pretty in pictures, but that's about it. The characters animate terribly (like wooden puppets), they're also all extremely annoying, the story is actually quite predictable and awful, even by JRPG standards, and the pacing actually put me to sleep.

The intro, the long-winded god awful monologue will show you what I mean. Seriously, this thing is a predictably amateur mess. I've got the full 1k on it, so I've seen about all it has to offer, and I can assure you that this is only for the most die-hard fans, and even then your money is better spent on nearly anything else.

My 2¢

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='appleyum']Not a deal. It has been on Amazon at that price for quite a while. If I recall 3-6 months ago it was around 23.99 and stayed at that price for quite a while. I have been eying it to drop to at least under $20[/QUOTE]

Somewhat - the lowest it's been for Amazon first party in the last year was $27.21 Apr/May this year, and the game itself has been at $30 since May 2009... cheaper at 3rd party occasionally, but not always eligible for Prime/free shipping

http://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B001CRQY1E

[quote name='crimsona']Somewhat - the lowest it's been for Amazon first party in the last year was $27.21 Apr/May this year, and the game itself has been at $30 since May 2009... cheaper at 3rd party occasionally, but not always eligible for Prime/free shipping

http://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B001CRQY1E[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I was going to say. It's been this price forever, but knowing that it's not a great game, my absolute max is $19.99. Still waiting... :oldman:

[quote name='Icehearted']You must absolutely love JRPGs to enjoy this. it's a monstrosity, imo. I waited ages to play it, kept an open mind, loved the screen shots. Turns out this thing looks pretty in pictures, but that's about it. The characters animate terribly (like wooden puppets), they're also all extremely annoying, the story is actually quite predictable and awful, even by JRPG standards, and the pacing actually put me to sleep.

The intro, the long-winded god awful monologue will show you what I mean. Seriously, this thing is a predictably amateur mess. I've got the full 1k on it, so I've seen about all it has to offer, and I can assure you that this is only for the most die-hard fans, and even then your money is better spent on nearly anything else.

My 2¢[/QUOTE]

Never, ever, play Blue Dragon, Star Ocean 4 or Enchanted Arms. They are far, far worse than Eternal Sonata if we are talking about JRPGs.

On a different note, I actually enjoyed parts of Sonata more than FFXIII (Which I suppose isn't saying much). The combat is a tad similar to Star Ocean or Tales, I suppose.

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']Never, ever, play Blue Dragon, Star Ocean 4 or Enchanted Arms. They are far, far worse than Eternal Sonata if we are talking about JRPGs.

On a different note, I actually enjoyed parts of Sonata more than FFXIII (Which I suppose isn't saying much). The combat is a tad similar to Star Ocean or Tales, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Currently playing Vesperia, not really enjoying it either ( I posted why in another thread). It's better than ES, but to be honest, after these two I think I'll skip the JRPGs until something really shiny comes along. Appreciate the heads up though, those have been cheap before and I've thought about it.

bread's done
Back