Eternal Sonata PS3 [now $19.65] q/FSSS

gamerdogbert

CAGiversary!
Finally! Been waiting for ages, and the superior :ps3: version of Eternal Sonata has at long last dropped to $20.51 on Amazon, sold by Hubbagames & fulfilled by Amazon, qualifies for Free Super Saver Shipping or Amazon Prime. And if Hubbagames's allocation sells out, it is also listed for $20.95 sold by NYC Electronics & fulfilled by Amazon, too.

Updated 10/24: Now $19.65. Also available from 2 other sellers for less than $21 in case in-stock status fluctuates.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CRQY1E

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkRider23']It's been $20-$24 shipped on eBay for quite a while too. tons of sellers near those prices.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but I don't buy used games unless they are for previous console generations and I missed out on getting them new.

And further, if there is one type of game that I would never, ever buy unless it was factory sealed, it'd be an RPG. Having the manual/maps/bestiary/etc included is very important to me when I go to play an RPG. That documentation is in there for a reason! It's useful.

i have grabbed it for 24 or so back..
let's see...
5 months ago and back when it was "rare" and expensive.

The value it had on eBay had really gone down since then

but it was a good purchase

I got this game for the Xbox a couple of years ago and still haven't finished it! LOL

I don't see what the big deal is about the PS3 version?

[quote name='typical guy']I got this game for the Xbox a couple of years ago and still haven't finished it! LOL

I don't see what the big deal is about the PS3 version?[/QUOTE]

The same reason that some ps3 ports are better

more in-disc content and revamped story :roll:

[quote name='cRodz']The same reason that some ps3 ports are better

more in-disc content and revamped story :roll:[/QUOTE]

Actually, my understanding is that the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata added very little of value. An extra playable character (who is already in the story) and some costumes?

me and you both then

I played the 360 version earlier on and the farther i got was to
Baroque Castle
until my cousin took the game away from me

I jumped to the ps3 version because of all the newly things added
For example, when i was on the same
Baroque Castle, i played on a cool type of glass dungeon
which is a dungeon that was missing on the 360 version.

The cutscenes and the skills were properly re-arranged and redone.
I could have swore that
Frederick
feels like a little lunatic person on the 360 version lol
and i remember kicking ass with Retto's earlier Shadow Assault skill on the 360 version

So yes, i grabbed on the ps3 because of my higher perceived value compared to the 360 version.

Dont bother with it, you already have the 360 version.
i am sure you wouldnt miss much either.

[quote name='gamerdogbert']Yeah but I don't buy used games unless they are for previous console generations and I missed out on getting them new.

And further, if there is one type of game that I would never, ever buy unless it was factory sealed, it'd be an RPG. Having the manual/maps/bestiary/etc included is very important to me when I go to play an RPG. That documentation is in there for a reason! It's useful.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember the last time I bought a used RPG that didn't come with all the game-relevant documentation. Sounds to me like you may have an ill-conceived notion of how reliable the used market can be if you know what you're doing.

[quote name='VWarrior']I can't remember the last time I bought a used RPG that didn't come with all the game-relevant documentation. Sounds to me like you may have an ill-conceived notion of how reliable the used market can be if you know what you're doing.[/QUOTE]
No, I have purchased a lot of games off of eBay and I am meticulous about getting the ones that include everything I want it to include, but I still prefer to have brand new, sealed games for current-generation purchases. Even for a lot of the older-generation games that I've gotten off eBay, I've still opted to get factory sealed versions where available. If it's a game that I believe is going to be so good that I'm going to keep it permanently, then I need to have a brand new, sealed copy.

I enjoyed this game. At least I did until I got to the big round dungeon with the water control rooms and then I became hopelessly stuck. Even following the Gamefaqs didn't help. I found it ridiculously frustrating and gave up.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but that dungeon was far more frustrating than it was fun to figure out.

yes it is a pain.

my 1st attempt, i passed through Fort Fermata flawlessly.
I then went to the internet and read all the problems people faced.

i lol'd

then when i re-played the game, i almost rage-quited and had to find a youtube video walkthrough.

Problem is, i wanted to grab all the little chests.
and the re-spawning enemies roaming around does not help.
lol you can level up several times and come out overpowered from that Fort

[quote name='gamerdogbert']No, I have purchased a lot of games off of eBay and I am meticulous about getting the ones that include everything I want it to include, but I still prefer to have brand new, sealed games for current-generation purchases. Even for a lot of the older-generation games that I've gotten off eBay, I've still opted to get factory sealed versions where available. If it's a game that I believe is going to be so good that I'm going to keep it permanently, then I need to have a brand new, sealed copy.[/QUOTE]

My point is, though, thats its not hard to get complete copies of games used if you know what you're doing.

"...if there is one type of game that I would never, ever buy unless it was factory sealed, it'd be an RPG. Having the manual/maps/bestiary/etc included is very important to me when I go to play an RPG."

That implies that you think you can't get complete copies of RPGs used and/or in good condition.

[quote name='typical guy']I own all the systems but from what I've read by people who have played both, it's not really "many things" but if you only own a PS3 at least you can get a JRPG now.[/QUOTE]

So there are actually quite a few things that did get changed, so bear with me.

As pointed out in previous post, the difficulty has been changed a little as far as the AI as well as enemy positioning. Basically the enemy doesn't appear in the same formation every time you get into a battle. The overall difficulty of the first play through on PS3 is equivalent to the Encore difficulty on the 360, so that just gives you an idea how easy it was on the 360 version on the first go.

There are actually some key cut scenes that were missing in the 360 version that made the plot line make the plot line make a little more sense (not by much).

There were 2 characters added to the game and the costumes are really just for aesthetics purposes, so you can't really say that's ALL they really added.

They added pretty much an extra dungeon that was actually quite fun that the 360 did not have and it definitely added more to the game than just a small difference, and it fit in quite well with the rest of the decor.

They took out a lot of items in the 360 version that made the game way too simple and easy to abuse.

They also fixed up the battle format so it's easier to switch between skills on the battlefield as opposed to the system they used for the 360, although I was used to that version anyways.

Overall there were quite a few subtle differences in the PS3 version than the 360 version, although most of them are not obvious, but when you play it through compared to the 360, it does feel like a completely different experience.

I definitely prefer the PS3 version over the 360 version, especially playing through both Encores already, the differences are definitely noticeable and not just all aesthetics.

Anyways, hope that was helpful and didn't really spoil anything for anybody.

Very glad I saw this. I was already planning to order this after my latest trade-in was accepted, but I went ahead and ordered now. Saved me 10 bucks.

Bought! Thank you :) I was actually just looking at this game last week. I played the 360 version several years ago and really enjoyed it

1UP no likey. I guess there's one in every crowd.

I considered it, but all the other JRPGs I've purchased have been

[quote name='VWarrior']That implies that you think you can't get complete copies of RPGs used and/or in good condition.[/QUOTE]
It means that when it comes to RPGs, good condition is not good enough; only perfect condition is good enough. Guess I've always just felt that RPGs are like royalty, they get special VIP privileges that make all other games feel like second-class citizens, LOL. And being how I refuse to buy even a used copy of a 'normal' game if it is one that I intend to permanently add to my library, then to buy a used copy of an even more important game is simply not going to happen. I just don't like used games. Wouldn't buy a used car, either.

[quote name='jdioutkast']looks like it moved up $5 it shows up as 24.90 for me :( I was so ready to get this[/QUOTE]
same here, $25 put me over the fence =/

I have to agree with you there. Getting RPGs new is vital as far as I'm concerned. Been wanting this one for a while, I might not be able to pass this deal up. Thanks OP.
cool2.gif
:D

[quote name='gamerdogbert']Yeah but I don't buy used games unless they are for previous console generations and I missed out on getting them new.

And further, if there is one type of game that I would never, ever buy unless it was factory sealed, it'd be an RPG. Having the manual/maps/bestiary/etc included is very important to me when I go to play an RPG. That documentation is in there for a reason! It's useful.[/QUOTE]

As someone who's played both versions, I prefer the 360 version. The PS3 version tried so hard to balance the game that that went in the complete opposite direction. The practice of selling quality photos for big bucks in the 360 version was very unbalancing, in response, the PS3 version made most photos virtually worthless, but then they also upped the difficulty. So they made creatures hit harder, then made you do less damage with your own attacks, and then crippled an easily exploitable source of money. The Encore mode on PS3 is really not a fun game. Challenge is fun, but mindlessly powering up the bad guys while neutering the player isn't challenge.

Woot competition for my dollar now thats what I like to see :cool: , or half dollar...... or what ever;)
On a side note it is funny to watch these guys nickel and dime each other. Ah capitalism at its best.

[quote name='Demise_Angel']A really good RPG, no trophies in this game if anyone cares about that.[/QUOTE]

Actually, yeah, that sort of kills it for me... I have the 360 version and have never played it. I'd buy the PS3 version in a second if it had trophies - but without that incentive, I might as well just stick to the 360 version and play that (eventually). No point blowing $20 on a game I already have ;).

picked it up with a $20 credit for a total of $0.51! Couldn't use the credit on pre-ordering Dead Rising 2, NBA 2k11, or FIFA 11 because I won't be around the next few weeks, but it worked out.
EDIT: Hmm?? Credit not applying?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Flik']Woot competition for my dollar now thats what I like to see :cool: , or half dollar...... or what ever;)
On a side note it is funny to watch these guys nickel and dime each other. Ah capitalism at its best.[/QUOTE]

Capitalism...
We all win!
...except for the already lower class ;)

[quote name='fakeemailwps']picked it up with a $20 credit for a total of $0.51! Couldn't use the credit on pre-ordering Dead Rising 2, NBA 2k11, or FIFA 11 because I won't be around the next few weeks, but it worked out.
EDIT: Hmm?? Credit not applying?[/QUOTE]
Amazon credit only applies when Amazon is the seller. These are 3rd-party sellers that you don't have any credit with.

For all you guys waiting for it to go less than $20, it is my pleasure to inform you that Eternal Sonata (PS3) is now $19.65 sold by Hubbagames and fulfilled by Amazon (eligible for Prime shipping)

Ah, I was going to use my credit too but alas it was not to be. But I did pick it up for $19.65, didn't know it had co-op. This deal just keeps getting better!

bread's done
Back