Evangelion 2.22 Blu ray $19.99 in Amazon

YEAH!

$20 the price point I was waiting for. Even though I know it'll go lower and I'm in no rush to see it again already, feels delusionally good to support the industry with a pre-order for once.

Nice! Just checked, and my order is at the correct price. My total for it is also $-3.00, because I'd paid the original $22.99 with credit, so Amazon actually owes me $3.00.

[quote name='Capocci 007']are they ever going to re-release the tv series?[/QUOTE]
The last new re-release set scheduled was the huge 10th anniversary set and it got cancelled. Anno has said Rebuild is how he wanted Evangelion to be so it is unlikely there will ever be another release of the original series.

If you haven't purchased the original series yet the two readily available options are the Platinum Thinpak and the Holiday release. The Platinum Thinpak is probably the one you want as it has the best video quality of the two. The Holiday version has the extras from the original Platinum release but they're crammed on to the discs so the video quality takes a hit. Neither of the two includes the booklets from the original Platinum release; Eva Monkey has the transcripts up (they were down not to long ago but it appears they've fixed it). The extras are pretty blah and some are just pointless; they're available on-line.

As noted in the sticky for Best Buy next week they will also have 2.22 for $20 on Blu-ray and RightStuf has it for $21. Amazon, fye, Best Buy, and RightStuf are FUNimation's retail partners so buying from one of them can't hurt; although at fye's current price they be crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Shoulda Been Harvey']If you haven't purchased the original series yet the two readily available options are the Platinum Thinpak and the Holiday release. The Platinum Thinpak is probably the one you want as it has the best video quality of the two. The Holiday version has the extras from the original Platinum release but they're crammed on to the same amount of discs as the Platinum Thinpak so the video quality takes a hit. Neither of the two includes the booklets from the original Platinum release; Evamonkey used to have them up but I'm sure you could find them elsewhere too. The extras are pretty blah and some are just pointless; they're available on-line.[/QUOTE]

Not true - the holiday version has seven discs, which are exactly the same as the single releases, and the video quality is the same for both releases. The holiday release is definitely the superior choice over the six-disc thinpak version for the extras, which are worth it for the commentary tracks alone.

And of course the Evangelion TV series will be re-released someday, probably on Blu-ray, though when that will be is anyone's guess. Evangelion is Gainax's big cash cow, and they'd never let it disappear from the market.

While I was mistaken about the disc count, haven't touched the Holiday release since a friend got it in '08, they are not the same video quality at all. There are multiple threads on Evageeks and elsewhere if you've never side-by-sided it yourself. Commentaries? Yeah, I care what the dub voice cast has to say to so much and the US staff regurgitating information readily available elsewhere gets me so wet.

[quote name='Shoulda Been Harvey']While I was mistaken about the disc count, haven't touched the Holiday release since a friend got it in '08, they are not the same video quality at all. There are multiple threads on Evageeks and elsewhere if you've never side-by-sided it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Show me those threads, I'm interested.

[quote name='Shoulda Been Harvey']Commentaries? Yeah, I care what the dub voice cast has to say to so much and the US staff regurgitating information readily available elsewhere gets me so wet.[/QUOTE]

You might not care about the commentaries, but that doesn't mean they're bad. I found them quite interesting. But that's neither here nor there, seeing as they aren't the only extras that were produced. Also dropped from the thinpak release are several full-length animatics and featurettes. The extras on these discs are actually quite substantive and entertaining.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Show me those threads, I'm interested.[/QUOTE]
This is the main one. The media has a finite capacity; the video has to be encoded at a lower bitrate to fit it and all the extras/audio tracks/etc. on to the disc.

Ultimately the bottom line is there are two readily available options; it's going to be personal preference and how often you're going to actually make use of what's on one versus the other.

The only thing that NEEDS to be re-released from the first Eva series is End of Evangelion. Shame it was licensed by Manga, so it never gets packaged with ADV's sets.

Is there still any way to mark items you own to try to get certain items in your Gold Box? I don't see the box to check that you won the item anymore on Amazon.

[quote name='jling84']Is there still any way to mark items you own to try to get certain items in your Gold Box? I don't see the box to check that you won the item anymore on Amazon.[/QUOTE]
I noticed it was missing too. Damn I miss it.

Ordered both 1.11 and 2.22. Hard to argue with $12 for 1.11.

Now, as everybody has said, we need the original series on blu (Hopefully not upscaled, but we'll see when it happens.)

[quote name='JasonTerminator']
Now, as everybody has said, we need the original series on blu (Hopefully not upscaled, but we'll see when it happens.)[/QUOTE]
Seeing how Japan is going backwards and actually releasing older series on Blu-ray, I wouldn't be surprised if Evangelion is part of that trend. However, even with R2 Blu-rays, it's been a hit or miss. FLCL, also a GAINAX title, was a miss. I wouldn't be surprised if they went all out for Evangelion, since it is their cash cow. Personally, I'd love to see Gurren Lagann get the HD treatment.

I went ahead and preordered 2.22 from Amazon today. I was going to wait for a price drop, but after reading some reviews it sounds like 2.22 is even better than the first one (which I like, except for Shinji).

We don't need the original series on Blu, as anyone who has watched both of these movies can probably attest to them crapping all over the originals in most every way.

What we need is for them to actually DO the other two movies already so this retelling of the story gets finished.

[quote name='Neg']We don't need the original series on Blu, as anyone who has watched both of these movies can probably attest to them crapping all over the originals in most every way.

What we need is for them to actually DO the other two movies already so this retelling of the story gets finished.[/QUOTE]

By that logic anything that gets remade shouldn't ever be released again. The new True Grit is awesome, so who needs the old John Wayne movie?

[quote name='eastx']I went ahead and preordered 2.22 from Amazon today. I was going to wait for a price drop, but after reading some reviews it sounds like 2.22 is even better than the first one (which I like, except for Shinji).[/QUOTE]

My exact same thought! Got the first one around the holidays for under $10 I believe. Really enjoyed it and believe $20 is more than a fair price for this!

[quote name='eastx']I went ahead and preordered 2.22 from Amazon today. I was going to wait for a price drop, but after reading some reviews it sounds like 2.22 is even better than the first one (which I like, except for Shinji).[/QUOTE]
It is definitely better than 1.11. 1.11 had to waste a bunch of time on bringing Shinji to town and getting him settled. Now everyone's where they should be, so the story just gets moving.

[quote name='Neg']We don't need the original series on Blu, as anyone who has watched both of these movies can probably attest to them crapping all over the originals in most every way.[/QUOTE]
We don't need the original series on blu ray because high definition wouldn't make a difference. But it is still an outstanding series. Rebuild is great, but it isn't a substitute. It is a different story. 2.22 will make that pretty clear.

My guess would be never. You can bet that even if it does go back up, it'll drop lower at some point over the course of this year.

[quote name='Shoulda Been Harvey']This is the main one. The media has a finite capacity; the video has to be encoded at a lower bitrate to fit it and all the extras/audio tracks/etc. on to the disc.[/QUOTE]

Ha, you don't take it well when someone calls you on something and you can't back it up. The April Fools joke is nice though.

[quote name='Shinpachi']My guess would be never. You can bet that even if it does go back up, it'll drop lower at some point over the course of this year.[/QUOTE]
This. Check camelcamelcamel for the history of You Are (Not) Alone.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']Ha, you don't take it well when someone calls you on something and you can't back it up. The April Fools joke is nice though.[/QUOTE]
79_slowpoke_1_m.png

Slow story bro.

bread's done
Back