EVGA 9800 GT $49.99 (After Rebate) TigerDirect

Now I know how you guys in CA feel about purchases from Newegg and Amazon. Its a good deal but IL sales tax always keeps me from jumping on TigerDirect deals.

Been so long since I've looked at pc parts....

Lower end intel dual core processor(6400 I think) and a 7900 gs currently, 2gigs of ram I don't remember the speed off the top of my head. 2 questions, 1: Massive upgrade for me? 2: Would I bottleneck the card?

[quote name='sainrub']Now I know how you guys in CA feel about purchases from Newegg and Amazon. Its a good deal but IL sales tax always keeps me from jumping on TigerDirect deals.[/QUOTE]

newegg sometimes have great deals on computer parts even though i'm in california. i returned a powersupply to amazon and bought it from newegg because it was $20 cheaper after rebate, even with tax.

plus, even though newegg ca purchases are taxed, the upside is that packages arrive quickly! usually within 1-2 days for me.

bought that same card at the same price during the dell.com deal, but unfortunately for someone like me who often uses his computer as an htpc, the card was horrible (it doesn't support hdmi audio and you'll have problems with dual monitor setups if you don't plan to have them both connected and running at the same time)
otherwise it's a great card, pretty powerful, good deal at that price, and if its going in a dedicated htpc only setup or a single monitor only setup, it'll do fine =)

my 2 cents for anyone looking to buy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

if you wanna compare your card to it, just look at the GFLOPS score

[quote name='Vortextk']Been so long since I've looked at pc parts....

Lower end intel dual core processor(6400 I think) and a 7900 gs currently, 2gigs of ram I don't remember the speed off the top of my head. 2 questions, 1: Massive upgrade for me? 2: Would I bottleneck the card?[/QUOTE]
not much of an upgrade, you can read a bit more here: http://www.google.com/search?q=8800...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1 (the 9800gt is a rebadged 8800gt, with possible lower power consumption).
usually video cards are the bottleneck, plus if your processor is a core 2 duo e6400, it's really not that bad.

[quote name='mariol90']not much of an upgrade, you can read a bit more here: http://www.google.com/search?q=8800...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1 (the 9800gt is a rebadged 8800gt, with possible lower power consumption).
usually video cards are the bottleneck, plus if your processor is a core 2 duo e6400, it's really not that bad.[/QUOTE]

Ironically I've the same processor (I believe (can't remember specifically it has been 2 years since I built it)). However, I've the 9800GTX+ and I've forgotten if it will SLI with lower-end graphics cards. Could I use this in SLI, would it be advisable?

[quote name='thehoweller']Ironically I've the same processor (I believe (can't remember specifically it has been 2 years since I built it)). However, I've the 9800GTX+ and I've forgotten if it will SLI with lower-end graphics cards. Could I use this in SLI, would it be advisable?[/QUOTE]
I'm about 95% sure you won't be able to SLI with anything other than another 9800GTX+. In fact, I 'think' you even have to use the same manufacturer, but I could be wrong.

I don't know why FFXIV has me intrigued, ugh. Would definitely want to upgrade if I ended up playing that game, it does look like this is better by a good amount out of raw benchmark scores(of people going 7900-9800) but I know that might not be the best test. Something to chew on I guess.

[quote name='Noogy']I'm about 95% sure you won't be able to SLI with anything other than another 9800GTX+. In fact, I 'think' you even have to use the same manufacturer, but I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

No you can SLI with any mix of manufacturer as long as they are the same card model. A EVGA 9800GTX+ with a BFG 9800GTX+ or any other 9800GTX+ will SLI. A 9800GTX+ will not SLI with a 9800 GT because they are two different card models.

bread's done
Back