Ex-Rhino stores - cheap-ass NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 cartridges!

hxhawkeye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
UPDATE: It appears that the deals might not be quite as cheap as original reported, but there are still some good prices to be had.

[quote name='Scorch']
I saw the memo and the OP just managed to come across a dumbass employee.

When you trade older games, per GS's POS, trade-in is at a penny. What the memo does is provide a generic SKU for you to trade in the games under, giving them 50 cents. Those traded in at 50 cents will be then marked for the cheap price.

However, games currently in Rhino stores are NOT.. I repeat NOT that cheap. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are 9.99, the Mega Man games on NES are 9.99, Paper Mario 64 is 29.99, Final Fantasy 8 and 9 were 24.99 or so..

so once again: The only way for any older game to be 1.99 or cheaper is for someone to trade it in between now and the end of the month (the end of the month is when they stop accepting older trades). The majority of the older games are now 9.99.. which is good if you run across a Final Fantasy 2 or 3, but NONE of these games are as cheap as the OP described. All of the older games were in the store's system. This needs to be removed from the front page since it's the case of a stupid employee (or a friendly employee) and not an actual sale.

And by the way, there were signs up saying that all older Rhino credit will get a 25% boost through the end of the month (and not the 20% that others thought)[/quote]

ORIGINAL POST
I went to my local newly-Gamestopped Rhino today, and all of the old-school games that Gamestop no longer sells have become generic-SKU'd. What this means is:

All NES games - $1.99
All SNES games - $1.99
All Genesis games - $1.99
All N64 games - $2.99

NO exceptions. PS1 games were listed on the same memo as $2.99, but at this time they were scanning in at their title-specific prices, so this may not be in effect just yet.

I scored big here. Go check it out! :)

[quote name='hxhawkeye']I went to my local newly-Gamestopped Rhino today, and all of the old-school games that Gamestop no longer sells have become generic-SKU'd. What this means is:

All NES games - $1.99
All SNES games - $1.99
All Genesis games - $1.99
All N64 games - $2.99

NO exceptions. PS1 games were listed on the same memo as $2.99, but at this time they were scanning in at their title-specific prices, so this may not be in effect just yet.

I scored big here. Go check it out! :)[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. :shock:

Oh my god I wish I lived anywhere near these stores. This would be the day I blow $1000 on my retro collection.

Dammit dammit dammit.

Thanks OP, I may road trip =)

So let me get this clear. Any classic games not in GS's system shows up at that price. So games like Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 are still the regular GS price? All SNES, Genesis, and NES shouldn't be in their system right?

[quote name='Chrono72090']I'm not sure what I'd ask if I called..

"Hey, are all your classic games like 2.99?"[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

"Hi, I heard you guys were clearancing your old games, and they were around $1.99? Is this true?"

They will either say yes or no.

Employees will know about this if it's true.

[quote name='Chrono72090']I'm not sure what I'd ask if I called..

"Hey, are all your classic games like 2.99?"[/QUOTE]

Drive there and come back to post what you discover :)

Called mine, he said the prices are ranging and I'd just have to come by. He said they clearanced them cos of the Gamestop thing, and N64 and PSX are B1G1. He also said you can use gamestop discount cards there.

I figure it's worth a look :0

Were there any Rhino's in Michigan? I've never seen any, but I'm still hoping. I would get so many games from this.

[quote name='Chrono72090']Called mine, he said the prices are ranging and I'd just have to come by. He said they clearanced them cos of the Gamestop thing, and N64 and PSX are B1G1. He also said you can use gamestop discount cards there.

I figure it's worth a look :0[/QUOTE]

Wait, so is that a confirmation? I'm kinda stupid (I guess) right now.

PRICES ARE INDEED RANGING. I asked the guy the second I got into the store, and he said "well tell me what to look up." FF3/FF2/Lufia 2 all show as 9.99. I'm assuming this is the cap for SNES games though, because FF3 was originally $35, and Lufia 2 was $45.

I still grabbed a copy of FF3 for 9.99 though.

There is also a B1G1 PS1 sale going on, though it looks like it works for N64 as well.

I NEED A COPY OF EARTHBOUND AND MARIO RPG.

Other games I saw that I will trade toward the above if possible:
Genesis:
  • Thunderforce III (should I grab this?)
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Shining Force
  • Phantasy Star
SNES:
  • Final Fantasy 2
  • Lufia 1
  • Lufia 2
  • Aerobiz
  • DKC 2
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
  • Super Ninja Boy (priced at 45??? I don't even know what this is)

I didn't check NES/Genesis prices, I just know what is there at the store.

IF ALL PRICES DO CHANGE SOON (i.e., my store is stupid and didn't change their's yet), let me know. 'Cuz I'll go price adjust. Finding FF3 for $10 is amazing, but finding it for $2 is even better.

This is very YMMV. I went in to see what might be on sale just in case they had some huge blowout. I picked up Rayman 2 and Pokemon Snap (N64) for $3. The store only had a BOGO sale for N64 and PS1 games. Some N64 games were $2.99, but the best ones had Rhino stickers with UPC and no price. The ones I scanned were at the least $12.99.

I went by a rhino and they had mentioned that the classic games had dropped in price... the employee's had picked out the best snes games and hid those behind the counter (they said that those games were "spoken for") Anyways, I picked up Pirates gold for gen for 9.99.

Hmm. Not sure what to tell you folks, but I got the following:

SNES: $1.79 each
Mega Man Soccer
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
Final Fantasy II
PTO II

NES: $1.79 each
Dragon Warrior II
Dragon Warrior III

N64: $2.69
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness

I guess this is YMMV, judging from the responses. Hate to have gotten people excited, but even at 9.99 there are some great deals to be had. The games were all entered into the POS as Generic SNES, Generic NES, etc.

Not sure it would do any good, but I'm posting a shot of my receipt in case it could help you all in some way regarding prices. If the employee keys in the code that's on the memo regarding the old-school games' pricing, this is how they all ring up (including Edge card discount).

RhinoReceipt.jpg
Games.jpg

damn, I wish I had read this 10 minutes ago when i'd have enough time to get to the local rhino before closing. guess I'll be leaving for work early tomorrow

So Hawkeye this had a kind of deal that legends are made of. This beats Gamecrazys classic plastic sale. We should all enjoy it while it lasts.

Can you get a brother Disruptor? That is the only game I want, I can cash or paypal the difference, shipping and them some.

I just played Resistance: Fall of Man and I want to compare the two games.

Thank you in advance.

Who bets ebay prices on classics are gonna suddenly fall because of this sale!!

Unfortunatly i do not have a rhino games store near me, or i may be tempted to blow.. ALOT of money!

[quote name='hxhawkeye']Not sure it would do any good, but I'm posting a shot of my receipt in case it could help you all in some way regarding prices. If the employee keys in the code that's on the memo regarding the old-school games' pricing, this is how they all ring up (including Edge card discount).

RhinoReceipt.jpg
Games.jpg
[/QUOTE]
OMFG.

This is only good if you actually find something worthwhile on SNES, NES, or N64.

Why? Dreamcast is just partially discounted, PSOne stuff is at Gamestop prices [Breath of Fire 3 for $26, I suppose if you find a FF VII or a Suikoden it's worth it]

Sega Genesis stuff is in usually bad condition and mostly sports games.

Anyways, I'm going tomorrow see if I have any luck.

Ok, two questions:

1. Did the Dreamcast games drop any? The store near me hopefully still has a copy of Confidential Mission (yes I actually have a DC light gun) and Ooga Booga

2. and kind of dumb, but I just bought a $13.99 SNES game two days ago. Think they'd let me return it and re-buy it at the super discount price?

Thanks,

-Brian

Now if I could only find a copy of SNES Aliens VS Predators

Like I said, I only take requests via PM. And I'm headed down there at noon EST, after that you're outta luck. First come, first served.

I'm off to bed. If I get you something you really want, remember me when you're sending the paypal.

I'll probably hit a couple as well, although I cant think of too much I would want at this moment (already have substantial classic games collection)

Too bad they are game only as well, one of my big gripes about Rhino

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']The only Rino store in MO. closed, according the store locator on Rino's website. :([/quote]

I looked at a couple of different states and they all showed up as "closed", so maybe that's just because they were converted over to Gamestop. Give them a call if you're nearby. That said, the one in MO is in Carthage, MO, so that's not really driving distance for KC- no luck for me. But if you're down by Springfield, that might not be so bad.

SI

I got a request for anyone when they do psx games at $2.99. Looking to build up my psx rpg's so if anyone finds duplicates or good hauls mind hooking me up? I don't care about complete or anything like that.

Ok..... I'm in dire need of Lufia (both), Breath of Fire 2, FF2, Dragon Quest (all of 'em), Mega Man Soccer, and Mega Man X3.

If you've appreciated the coupon thread, hook a Punisher up!! =D

( No Rhino stores in Arizona :( )

Well if anyone has a Rhino near them and is willing to pick up a few things for me, I will gladly pay for shipping and the games, I might even surprise you. If anyone is willing, please PM me..

I'd like to know about the PS1 and DC games as well. Anyone hit the Montgomery store yet? I need to go over there anyways and check into this credit thing.. I traded in some nice Genesis games Sat. night, like Splatterhouse 2 & 3, Gunstar Heroes, Time Killers, etc. if anyone is interested in going to pick them up.

bread's done
Back