Exchanging Sealed Games WITHOUT a Receipt

TomoyoN

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
Are there any places that will EXCHANGE or STORE CREDIT a game that is still factory sealed WITHOUT a receipt? I have 2 games I got as gifts and I wanted to exchange them but my GameStop says I can only trade them in... I don't want to have to do this as these games are BRAND NEW...

If you can wait until just after Christmas Best Buy will take back anything without a reciept.

Even if your intentions are honest, people (and retailers) frown on this - mostly because when places like CC clearance games for $5-$10 they are usually still $50 at places like Walmart which encourages people to try and make exchanges without the receipt... but yeah, Walmart will take anything.

Best Buy, driver's license. Call ahead, YMMV. If you wait after Xmas, game probably will lose value. Target might too, I remember my mother had to exchange some stuff. I think most of the major stores, call ahead and tell your scenarios and of course don't say you got the games elsewhere.

I think anywhere that will allow you to exchange for a larger dollar amount will require your driver's license so they can mark you in their systems.

Yeah I was behind a guy at best buy when they denied him. He was in there system too much they said. As long as its not all the time you can do it at BB, Walmart, and sometimes Target.

Forget Target! They have gotten very stringent about their returns- only 2 returns without a receipt per year and credit only- electronics is a whole different story....

Last time i did this at Target, they gave me lowest price (per usual) and store credit, for that department, which I had to use that day.
Last time I did this at Walmart they gave me store credit card good on anything anytime, and for some reason the price I got was like 5 bucks more than the item was on the shelf.
When I did if after Christmas last year, they were busy and the items were cheap so they didn't even ask for DL or put me in the computer, I just had to sign something (again as per usual).

I exchanged two sealed Wii games for two other titles back in January. They just asked me for my license and said theres a limit to how many times you can exchange something without a receipt.

[quote name='slidecage']best buy dropped it to 1 return without recept per year now[/QUOTE]

A lot of Walmart stopped accepting electronics without receipts.
Target is 2 exchanges per year per driver's license. Can only be exchanged for other items in that department.

From what I heard at a local Wal-Mart while I was in line, they've shifted to a policy where you have to have a receipt for any return or exchange over $30, probably for this exact reason, and that they can "look up" your purchase if you paid via credit card. The thought of Wal-Mart storing my credit card number for any purchase is a scary one.

what if you buy the same exact thing at target, ask for a gift reciept, return one with the original receipt and return the other with the gift receipt for store credit?

[quote name='sparklecopy']what if you buy the same exact thing at target, ask for a gift reciept, return one with the original receipt and return the other with the gift receipt for store credit?[/QUOTE]

Gift receipt = regular receipt, except without how much you paid for it.

[quote name='putney']From what I heard at a local Wal-Mart while I was in line, they've shifted to a policy where you have to have a receipt for any return or exchange over $30, probably for this exact reason, and that they can "look up" your purchase if you paid via credit card. The thought of Wal-Mart storing my credit card number for any purchase is a scary one.[/quote]

All retailers do that whether it's accessible at the store level or not. Anything that's not cash is a trail.

Don't be so paranoid. ;)

Bestbuy limits the amount of times you can make a return without a reciept. I made 1 return after christmas this year and I have been locked out since then, hoping it resets at the end of the year. By the way, anyone know more on when the clear return info at BestBuy?

[quote name='sparklecopy']what if you buy the same exact thing at target, ask for a gift reciept, return one with the original receipt and return the other with the gift receipt for store credit?[/QUOTE]

Both the gift receipt and the real receipt have the transaction ID on it. Once you returned the first one, and tried to use the second one, the computer would say "Receipt no longer valid" or "Item already returned" or something and you'd be given the receipt back, along with a request to wait while security came to visit you.

I tried returning two DVD sets to Walmart for credit without the receipt, and they denied me, saying the value was too high (lady took like 30 minutes to get a manager who then told her no). So I drove across town to the other Walmart and just tried returning one of them. They allowed it, but told me the giftcard would only be good in their store (as in that specific location). Anyone know if that is true?

i wouldnt do it to other stores other than where they bought it from. if not, then i would trade it here for the games you want, who knows you might get more than what you've asked for. also try ebaying it, its a long process to what you want to buy, but at least you could do it legally. another way is to speak to the person who gave them to you and say the games doesnt work or the manual is missing. i usually give that excuse for christmas gifts if i don't like the item.

im not trying to burst any bubbles here, but returning merchandise that wasn't bought from the store counts as a lost. its no surprise these retailers are changing their return policies about no receipts. i worked for retail for several years, and we had people returning shit to us that doesn't even belong to our store.

I managed to get CC to take a copy of Trauma Center for Wii a while back without receipt. They didn't like it and I had to spend the money right then, but I got rid of a game that I would never have played.

Since I got it at EB, I felt a little bad.

TBW

bread's done
Back