Expanded Friend List on Xbox Live

MAcommunity

CAGiversary!
Ever since Microsoft had pulled the plug on the xbox live service for the old consoles, I've been searching google to see what future enhancements are to be added to the service. Chiefly among the rumored future enhancements was a supposed expansion of the current 100 limit of people on your friends' list. Yet at E3, I didn't see any upcoming add-on that necessitated the removal of the old consoles.--Granted I'm not a network engineer nor do I play one on television.

Anyway, I wanted to get a feel from other CAG member's: Do you think a greater than 100 friend's list will be coming soon to xbox live? If so, when do you think it will be available?

And before, a feckless egotist sprays fourth the following rant on their keyboard "I don't have close to a hundred people on my friend's list so why should I care?" Let me plant this seed in your head:

A higher limit friends list may not be useful to a majority of xbox live users, but it could prove to be an invaluable resource to users that run online communities....such as ... CAG for instance.

Picture an xbox live service where all CAG members could be added automatically to a CAG community gamer tag (or CheapyD's if he wished that horror upon himself) and find each other online automatically.

I have other thoughts on the matter; but before I share them, I'll await your feedback.

Maybe I don't like the spam that 30+ friends generates much less 100+

"MTAF I want a prestige lobby for free"
"MTAF Report my GT so I can change it Lulzz :p"
"MTAF Wann try out for my clan? We are the illest, dopeest, posse to ever walk on xbox live so don't try out unless you are a sick mofo ninja"
"Who here likes ICP?"

This is definitely needed. I've been a member for 5 and 1/2 years, and between personal friends, CAGs, and people I've met on Live, my list has been full for 3 years now.

[quote name='reddjoey']Maybe I don't like the spam that 30+ friends generates much less 100+

"MTAF I want a prestige lobby for free"
"MTAF Report my GT so I can change it Lulzz :p"
"MTAF Wann try out for my clan? We are the illest, dopeest, posse to ever walk on xbox live so don't try out unless you are a sick mofo ninja"
"Who here likes ICP?"[/QUOTE]

fuck, I can't even imagine how annoying that is with the constant "xxxx has signed on" messages 100 people would grant.

Before they up the friend list, maybe it's time for MS to finally give us an option to disable friend sign on pop ups without disabling achievement pop ups at the same time.

yea more than 100 friends is just stupid. One of my friends once had like 60 users on his list, and ever 30 second *XXX has signed on*. Each time I would ask him who it was and he would reply, "some guy i played something with once." They originally said during the shut down that they had some new features to look forward to by E3, but nothing ever showed up. One thing I would like is categories to put people into. So if I have people I only play like TF2 with, I can put them in that.

Before they allow more than 100 users, I'd like if they initiated some way to *organize* your list of friends. It'd be so nice if I could, for example, create sublists for "people I actually know in person," "random people who friended me via ___ multiplayer game," "CAGs," etc....

[quote name='Nico0020']yea more than 100 friends is just stupid. One of my friends once had like 60 users on his list, and ever 30 second *XXX has signed on*. Each time I would ask him who it was and he would reply, "some guy i played something with once." They originally said during the shut down that they had some new features to look forward to by E3, but nothing ever showed up. One thing I would like is categories to put people into. So if I have people I only play like TF2 with, I can put them in that.[/QUOTE]

I don't have that problem, and I know who everyone is on my list. I don't think I've ever had more than 40 on at once.

I don't really care cause I have like 70 friends and I probably talk to 15 of them, but they should increase the friend list cap because they said Xbox Live on the original Xbox held back a friend list expansion, now they're out of excuses!!!!!!

[quote name='Cheapskate']Before they allow more than 100 users, I'd like if they initiated some way to *organize* your list of friends. It'd be so nice if I could, for example, create sublists for "people I actually know in person," "random people who friended me via ___ multiplayer game," "CAGs," etc....[/QUOTE]

YES, YES, YES.

I've been waiting for this simple feature to show up in an update to no avail. I'd prefer it over extra space any day. So sick and tired of having to delete people I added on months ago because I completely forgot what game I met them from in the first place.

What they should do is steal Steam's idea of groups. So you can have a CAG Halo group and just look to see who is online and willing to play Halo without having to go through your friends list and spam people with invites.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Before they allow more than 100 users, I'd like if they initiated some way to *organize* your list of friends. It'd be so nice if I could, for example, create sublists for "people I actually know in person," "random people who friended me via ___ multiplayer game," "CAGs," etc....[/QUOTE]

This. But implement the organization and larger list at the same time cause I need more space.

It doesn't matter to me how many, I have 7 friends right now so that is after 4 years I think I am good. but I honestly don't know why they can't make it more for those who really need it? I heard it was because of Halo 2, but with that turned off you would think they would be working on it

Hmmm. Not a very scientific survey to-be-sure, but judging by the responses so far, I can see that demand is very low for a friend list expansion. I've been managing a community website devoted to an old xbox game, MechAssault for a few years now. From it, I've got two xbox live gamertags that are both full.

It was not too long ago during the start-up days of xbox live that with certain games the user base was small enough that all the hardcore players all knew each other (or knew OF each other with their bitter rivalries--which is another story). With the 25 million gamertags now on xbox live, a little of that magic is gone.

Furthermore, if you recall, I was mainly interested in an expansion of friend's list not necessarily for personal use, but mainly for community website managers. Therefore, you could have "CAG" or whatever group your were interested as a friend on your list, which would have everyone from CAG (of coarse people could opt out if they wanted too). You wouldn't receive notifications of their online status. Rather you could pull up a list of available online players for any game you were interested in. Such a feature could prove useful, IMHO.

P.S. @Cheapskate, yeah you're certainly right. A way to organize your friend list would be greatly appreciated as well.

[quote name='animalspinners']
Before they up the friend list, maybe it's time for MS to finally give us an option to disable friend sign on pop ups without disabling achievement pop ups at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%.

Easily my most wanted addition to the Xbox OS. Those drive me nuts as I mainly play single player games and thus don't give a shit who's online.

bread's done
Back