Experiences with the PS2 Hard Drive.

Admiral Ackbar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I'm a little conflicted at the moment. I planned to pick up a PS2 memory two-pack before the end of the month at Best Buy for $30 after the $10 accessories coupon.

However, K-mart has it for $50 on sale this week. I don't know if I should go out and scout for one. Can someone list their experiences with the hard drive. Is it compatibal with most games. I only have one PS2 memory card and it would be a shame if I got the hard drive and then eventually had to get more cards. Not to mention i's another twenty bucks.

I'll probably never pay FFXI online because I'm not paying the monthly fee.

The really only good thing the PS2 harddrive is for is backing up Memory Card Saves. It's not compatiable with any games as far as Saving goes except FFXI. You can upload Resident Evil Outbreak onto it to cut down on load times and I also believe Socom Maps can be saved to them (not sure though).

It's well worth it if you have a ton of games and don't want to shell out money for memory cards every two months. For instance, I have about 170 PS2 games and one memory card. I just put all my game saves onto the Harddrive after I am done with them and keep the memory card empty for the games I am currently playing. For $50, I'd get it. You'll never have to buy a memory card again.

Some versions of the Action Replay Max or Gameshark support moving game saves to / from a usb pen drive. I think one of them even includes a small pen drive. If you're only looking to use the HD for game saves, it's cheaper to get the AR Max and pen drive.

Also, I don't know if you know this or not, but you need a Network Adapter in order to install and use the Harddrive. They connect to each other.

Ah, I didn't realize you need the network adapter. But those can be had for cheap i guess.

I have a lot of games. But it might be a better route for me to go with the pen drive. I doubt I'll fill up all that hard drive space with games. Not to mention, it won't work with a slim if I eventually decide to upgrade to a slim ps2.

Does anyone have a link to a cheap replay max/gameshark thnat works with usb pen drives. I have a couple of those laying about doing noothing.

There are a few games that let you use the HD to save and those are the ESPN sports games from Sega/Take Two and there are a few stragglers out there like RPG Maker 3 (I was hoping to get this for my PS2, but then I had to give up my HD :whistle2:(). It's not anywhere near the usability of the Xbox HD, but all I used it for is storage of old saves and such when I got rid of the game.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Not to mention, it won't work with a slim if I eventually decide to upgrade to a slim ps2.[/quote]

Other than not fitting inside, is there a reason it won't work with a slim? The slim already has the network adapter, so I was hoping that all I'd have to do is get myself a case to put it in.

[quote name='Knave']Other than not fitting inside, is there a reason it won't work with a slim? The slim already has the network adapter, so I was hoping that all I'd have to do is get myself a case to put it in.[/quote]

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/157/85/

Above is the only way to do it. I also heard that there is an adapter that works the same way, you just put the adapter on the motherboard.

Here's what I want to know.

Does the PS2 HD recognize PSOne memory cards/save games?

I've got a crap-ton of PSOne savegames that need backing up, and the PAR2 that I have doesn't recognize my PSX memory card. The harddrive would actually be worth the scratch if it recognized those saves.

Thanks,

Gol

[quote name='Gol']Here's what I want to know.

I've got a crap-ton of PSOne savegames that need backing up, and the PAR2 that I have doesn't recognize my PSX memory card. The harddrive would actually be worth the scratch if it recognized those saves.

Thanks,

Gol[/quote]

Why wouldn't it? If you can transfer tha saves to PS2 cards then you are all set. You just can't access the saves from the HD you have to transfer them back.

if you people want to copy save files to computer just get a action replay or max drive. Easier to use and cost a lot less.

[quote name='Gol']Here's what I want to know.

Thanks,

Gol[/QUOTE]

It does. I have the HDD, so I can vouch. But, you still need a PSX mem card to transfer the saves to before you play the game. Same as with any non-2k sports game (and the other one mentioned, I think there are a couple more, too).

For $50, it's probably not worth it. But if you aren't interested in playing FFXI you might be able to pick up a used one cheaper from someone on here.

bread's done
Back