extend my jog route or start implementing a run.

thisjustanother

CAGiversary!
i have been trying to jog around my neighborhood for a couple months now. i am able to do a 2 lap square route that i made up. it is a 2.2 mile route and i am able to do it in about 22-24 minutes total. i kind of hit a plateau with my weight loss with a 2 week suspension of no loss or gain.

im not very athletic so i am not able to exert myself as easly as others would be. im able to do my route with no rest period but since i havnt extended my route im not sure how long i really can go and i am afraid to find out.

being from arizona, the weather now is kind of at a high time of getting up to 107 on some days so having to wait till dark doesnt lower quite as fast and gets to 100 at 8pm. i try to run between 7pm to 7:30pm and end the run at 7:50pm.

what im wondering is, is it better to extend my route with another lap, adding 1.1miles and about 12 minutes to the jog, or should i take the 2 laps i already do and try to start running near the end to a strong finish lowering the time it takes from the 22 minutes it takes me.

I'd say its specific upon the individual. If you are overweight you are going to want to pay attention to your joints and any pain you experience. Any any point.

Furthermore, your jump from 2.2 to 3.3 is rather large. Initially, running anywhere between 1-3 miles is a bitch, and then after 3, everything starts to get easier. I would continue running this 2.2 mile route until you feel you can develop a comfortable pace, and then run 2.5 miles, and then jump up to 3 miles. I know you said your path is technically a loop but you could always partially go one way and then turn around. You could easily map the distance out with a car. Or if you're serious ,Garmin makes a watch which links up to satellites and tracks distance and pace time.

Also, while I'm at it, below I've pasted one of best sites to purchase running apparel. Free 2 day shipping with a great customer service ethos akin to Zappos:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/

I too need help in this area, although I am pretty athletic.

I had been running about 2 miles in a route like the OP, does anyone have opinions on when to up the distance, how many times a week I should run what routes, to increase my stamina?

One of my friends who runs says you shouldn't increase runs more than a certain % week to week.

I could use any help, I'd like to run a 5 mile event in 4 months.

To the OP:

Since your goal is weight loss, I'd say extending the run would be the way to go. Jogging for longer periods of time will burn more calories than simply increasing your intensity.

To DV:

Up the distance/time whenever you can. I'd say every time you run at least add a small increment to what you did before(run for an extra 30 seconds longer, jog for another quarter of a mile, etc). Eventually you will get to the distance you want to be. After you get the distance down, then you can try pushing yourself for time. As far as how many times a week ... just listen to your body. If you need rest take it.

I'm running for the first time in over 2 years (and I've never been serious about it before) but I'm training for a 5K in Sept. Everything I've read so far basically indicates that you want to add about a quarter mile a week, and for the love of your joints, find out your pronation (over, under, neutral? ... google it if you don't know) and budget about $100 to get running shoes that compensate accordingly.

Also, I know I said I'm looking up training, but in the few weeks I've gotten back into the kick of things I can agree with this idea: Run hard only once a week and do easy runs in the mean time. DON'T overtrain, you will only keep yourself out of action longer if you push yourself too hard.

Wanted to weigh-in as I am a big time runner.

The first question is how often do you do the loop? If it is everyday, then 1 or 2 days going a bit longer should help. You don't have to run the whole extra loop. Run/walk until you can make it the whole way.

Other thoughts- The "certain percentage rule" is largely a myth. Injury rate between those who increase gradual and those who increase in jumps are pretty much the same. I find it takes about 3 week at a given miles per week before you get comfortable and make the jump. Let's say you are running 12 miles/week. Hold that for 3 weeks, then make a bigger jump to 15-16. (you can add a day or increase a few of the runs). Most newbies can and should handle 3-4 days a week with one day being a longer run. You don't really need to go fast when you start. Just run as much as you can even it is as a slower pace. After you have done this for a few months, you can start with faster stuff.

Also for those of you who have heavy frames or are overweight--Brooks Beast are a god send. When I was at 230 (but still could run 2.5 miles) my joints hurt like hell. I switched to Brooks Beast and the pain went away. Now I'm at 165, with Brooks Defyance and am doing 7-10 miles during the summer.

I see so many overweight runners running with lightweight shoes because they think it will benefit them, when in fact its likely hurting them.

Also great book suggestion for runners: Once a Runner by John Parker.

[quote name='javeryh']I will be starting THIS program on Monday. I will do light weights (high reps) on one of the "rest" days and on Tues/Thurs.[/QUOTE]

What marathon are you doing?

bread's done
Back