external dvd writer

External one's are usually more expensive than internal ones (The exception is a huge sale, but the norm is internal are cheaper).

I receommend making your own. Buy a cheper internal burner and put into an external encasing. It's simple as hell to do and should save you a few bucks.

Yeah most if not all External Drives nowadays hookup via USB, and most via USB 2.0... much much faster.

[quote name='specialk']how much do the external casings run, munch?
i'm also assuming the include the usb hookups (dumb question)?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they include the hookups. external casings can go anywhere from $20 to $60, depending on what you want. The more expensive ones include a fan, which is a must if you're hooking up a HD. I don't think it's as bad for a DVD writer. It kind of cools itself witht the disc spinning creating air. You would also open it a lot, which would cool it. But if you're getting a HD, get one with a fan!

this may sound like a stupid question, but did you say that the internal ones hook up by usb, also.....and usb 2.0s can work on regular usbs, right?

[quote name='mjkusy13']this may sound like a stupid question, but did you say that the internal ones hook up by usb, also.....and usb 2.0s can work on regular usbs, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it hooks up through USB. You can buy them with firewire, too.

so the same external casing can work for a hard drive or a dvd burner?

thanks in advance for the help. i've been scouting dvd burners since christmas but haven't pulled the trigger yet b/c i'm not sure what's a godo deal and what's not. any advice there is welcome.

[quote name='specialk']so the same external casing can work for a hard drive or a dvd burner?

thanks in advance for the help. i've been scouting dvd burners since christmas but haven't pulled the trigger yet b/c i'm not sure what's a godo deal and what's not. any advice there is welcome.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I have this case. It works for burners or HDDs. I really like this one, but it's kind of pricey because of the fan. I'd say just look around on newegg and see what you can find.

Huge YMMV.

Microcenter has an external for $24.99 right now (thru 2/18), but I believe it's a price mistake. See their ad here: http://www.microcenter.com/images/specials/0206a.back.full.jpg (upper left corner of page under the Samsung OEM drives) The SKU listed is wrong, the correct SKU is 549238. They have taken the product off the website b/c of the mistake.

If you can find one in store, you can maybe get it for that price. Also, you can try ordering over the phone (1-800-634-3478). Good luck.

no luck on ordering by phone...supposedly, the "overwhelming" amount of people who bought it through them on the phone and online has caused them to be OOS.....so, from that statement, i don't think it was a price mistake, but thanks to clariste for the heads up

I hate lg burners for dvd's and gamecube games since they dont work with any media used... That NEC burner I lonked you to is one of the nicest burners ive come across since it does any burns flawless. Get either that or any cheapo lite-on drive. The items i linked you above costs around the 60 bucks.

WO NEVERMIND! Dont buy from that ridiculous site... Shipping was 30 dollars for standard ups. That is insane. I suggest just going the initial route i suggested.

i did "Ground" shipping and it was like 13 bucks....."3 Day Select" is 30 bucks....but it doesnt matter because i just received an 80 dollar GC to office max, so i'll get it there

thanks to everyone for their help, though

I hope you weren't discouraged from doing it yourself. i'm a total newb to computer stuff, and the process was sooooooo easy. It was so easy that I thought I was doing something wrong. I hooked it up and it just worked. Then again, I do have a Mac, so that helps :)

bread's done
Back