External Hard Drive Enclosure

mpj31

CAGiversary!
Do you need an enclosure in order to use an external hard drive? Can somone explain how this works?

Ok, I think I understand, if I buy an enclosure + internal hard drive it will be external...?

[quote name='mpj31']Do you need an enclosure in order to use an external hard drive? Can somone explain how this works?[/QUOTE]

I guess you wouldn't in theory. They do make SATA to USB 2.0 cables and you could just let the harddrive rest on the desk or something. I wouldn't advise it, of course. Most enclosures already have the adaptor (IDE or SATA to USB) built in to them. All you do is put the HD in the case and you are good to go. Of course, if you are using a 3.5" HD or maybe USB 1.1 then chances are the external enclosure also has a power supply to get enough juice to the HD.

Do you have a spare harddrive lying around or something?

no i am shopping for an external hard drive and trying to figure out a good price. Then I started seeing enclosures and I got scared that I needed them.

YOu have two options:

1) Buy an all-in-one external hard drive. Western Digital and Seagate make these. They tend to not have onboard cooling and thus I do not suggest them.

2) You go to newegg.com, search for "Venus," and then get a Venus hard drive enclosure, as it has onboard cooling. Then you go buy as big of a Seagate hard drive as you can afford. This allows you to get quality components fairly cheap.

You can buy external hard drives ready made.
What the enclosures are are cases that you put an internal HD into to make it external.

The enclosure path is much cheaper, so I suggest that.

[quote name='LiquidNight']You can buy external hard drives ready made.
What the enclosures are are cases that you put an internal HD into to make it external.

The enclosure path is much cheaper, so I suggest that.[/quote]

Not necessarily cheaper, but you do gain more bang for your buck or in other words more Gigs for your money.

[quote name='Strell']YOu have two options:

1) Buy an all-in-one external hard drive. Western Digital and Seagate make these. They tend to not have onboard cooling and thus I do not suggest them.

2) You go to newegg.com, search for "Venus," and then get a Venus hard drive enclosure, as it has onboard cooling. Then you go buy as big of a Seagate hard drive as you can afford. This allows you to get quality components fairly cheap.[/quote]

1)Well there's plenty of other companies, just none that I personally would venture out and buy especially if you are looking for reliability and durability. Seagate is the best, but WD is pretty good as well. Maxtor's are awesome, but then again, Seagate owns them now (they were good before as well).

[quote name='Strell']

2) You go to newegg.com, search for "Venus," and then get a Venus hard drive enclosure, as it has onboard cooling. Then you go buy as big of a Seagate hard drive as you can afford. This allows you to get quality components fairly cheap.[/QUOTE]

agreed... I got this baby and love it like crazy. I'll be making another external sometime soon and the Venus is my choice again.

[quote name='Strell']YOu have two options:

2) You go to newegg.com, search for "Venus," and then get a Venus hard drive enclosure, as it has onboard cooling. Then you go buy as big of a Seagate hard drive as you can afford. This allows you to get quality components fairly cheap.[/QUOTE]

Cooling should not be an issue for any recent (last two years) design from a major brand. Compared to the interior of a PC there just isn't that much cooling issue, except perhaps at the height of summer weather. The only external hard drive failure I've ever had, aside from drives that were entirely kaput, was due to LOW temperature. A Seagate 2.5" bus powered 100GB unit. Made horrible noises and just wouldn't work. The next time I tried it, after a few days indoors instead of being kept in my car, it was fine and has been so ever since. Apparent'y it got cold enough to turn the lubricant on the drive motor bearings to semi-frozen sludge.

bread's done
Back