Extra Xbox vs. my first PS3

Plantguy7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Hey guys, if this isn't the right forum, please redirect me to the right one, this seemed like the best choice. I have a 360 at one of my two houses with a considerable library of games, accessories, and a Live account. At my second house, I have the option of just getting another 360 or a PS3. The 360 seems good because I won't have to buy any new games, plus I can use my existing XBL account, but it seems a little redundant to have 2. If I get the PS3, I can get Sony exclusive titles like Mag and Ratchet and Clank, but I'd have to buy all new games, controllers, headsets, etc. I'm also not a big fan of the Ps3 controller, do you get used to its awkward design? Which console would you guys get in this situation? Please tell me the reasons why and refrain from "fanboyism." Thanks for all your help in advance!

I have 3 systems, xbox, ps3, and wii. It's funny, for the last generation I played my ps2 more. But now my xbox rules, better overall games and online execution. I only really use the ps3 as a bluray player, and I NEVER use the wii.

So imho, I would buy another xbox.

From my experience I've found that controllers relate to the specific game you play. However, when i've played the same game on another console, thats when I have a problem. I dont know if you will ever get used to any other controller thats not your favorite, especially if you continue to use your favorite controller while you try to learn a new one. You will always find yourself saying "i wish this controller was more like...".

Yeah. I like my PS3. The controller is so... well.. Japanese... That I can't play extended periods very well. It's just tiny and it doesn't seem to fit my hands. The 360 controllers are MUCH more comfortable to me. That, and the fact that I just always seem to gravitate toward the 360 when I get a game (I think it's because I am a big fan of the Live interface), are why I went ahead and got 2 360s for the house. I did eventually cave and get a PS3 for the exclusives, but I have rarely played it. I got a little ways through InFamous (which I loved), but when Reach came out, I just shut the PS3 off and have not been back on it since.

i would go with the ps3, the are ALOT of big name ps3 games coming out in the future.
I have both and i play my ps3 more. (and i love the ps3 controller better than the xbox controller)
look at the upcoming (and already released) ps3 exclusives and if your interested in any of those then get the ps3

To be honest I would say get another XBOX because If you get a PS3 you aren't going to be use to it and not like it.At least that how it was for me.I only really use my PS3 for Blu-Ray movies and I usually do all my game playing on my XBOX.I also couldn't get use to the PS3 controller.But It's up to you.Then you would have to buy more stuff because you won't have any games and you just would have to spend more money.

I would get a PS3. I don't have one currently but I would like to get one when I can budget it. I'm dying for a bluray player and to dig into the games I've missed out on. Its always fun to catch up on a system thats been out for awhile since you go to town on the cheaper games. You can get used to the controller eventually. I loved the Dual Shock during PS2 days but now when I hold one its like a stranger after so much 360 gaming.

A second 360 would be nice, but I'd definitely choose a new experience versus the same one in a different location. I say you can find the time to enjoy another system, do so.

Here's a solution: quit being lazy and unplug your 360 to take to your other house. You could do the same with the ps3 and have BOTH at the SAME house! I mean i know they're not "portable" systems per se but come on man, it's not like they're impossible to carry around.

ps3, i have a 360 i use for all multy platform but i plan on buying a majority of the ps3 exclusive because they are awesome.

If the current 360 you have now is an older model (non-slim) console, you are better off getting an arcade unit, which you can get on the cheap, so you can pop the hard drive off and bring that from house to house. Otherwise you have to do the account recovery thing everytime you go back and fourth, and who wants to sit through that? You should be able to score one of those cheap enough where you wouldn't have to save too much more to get a PS3 as well by Black Friday, where you can score some free pack-in games for the holidays. That's my advice.

[quote name='mrosnwo']If the current 360 you have now is an older model (non-slim) console, you are better off getting an arcade unit, which you can get on the cheap, so you can pop the hard drive off and bring that from house to house. Otherwise you have to do the account recovery thing everytime you go back and fourth, and who wants to sit through that? You should be able to score one of those cheap enough where you wouldn't have to save too much more to get a PS3 as well by Black Friday, where you can score some free pack-in games for the holidays. That's my advice.[/QUOTE]

This! Pop out your and switch between your 360s. It seems like you are very much invested in one platform.

Are you going to be at this second house for long periods? I would get a second Xbox if you are staying week long periods. I like the PS3 to a certain extent but most of their exclusives are primarily amazing single player experiences which you can get through each exclusive in 3 to 4 days. I mowed through GOW3, Uncharteds, Infamous, Killzone while hating Little Big Planet and Resistances by just renting them. Need to get around to Heavy Rain but for now my PS3 is just collecting dust especially now that Reach is out. If you are not going to be at the second house frequently then get the PS3 its a fun ride while it last.

[quote name='mj1984']Here's a solution: quit being lazy and unplug your 360 to take to your other house. You could do the same with the ps3 and have BOTH at the SAME house! I mean i know they're not "portable" systems per se but come on man, it's not like they're impossible to carry around.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the most sensible option!

Get a PS3 if there are enough exclusives that interest you.
If you had a PS2 then you should get use to the controller fairly quickly
Many of the PS3 exclusives have become "Greatest Hits" meaning they are priced at the 29.99 price.

Even if you get another 360 you still have to move the games, and accessories back and forth....

The PS3 can also be used as a blue ray player.

Simply it depends on how much cash you are willing to spend

Thanks for all the replies guys! to mj1984 and helluvagood, it's just a pain to take the whole console, especially since I'd have to either bring it through school (if it makes it), or drive back and forth an extra time. I like the idea of buying another arcade and just bringing the hard drive, I'll have to check out craigslist for some used arcades. Thanks again for all your help guys!

If you're a RPG guy too, then going with a PS3 in the end will make you quite happy overall compared to the 360.

But in general I just enjoy playing my PS3 more as of late than my 360.

But also blooray is swell :D

I only have a PS3 currently and no offense to anyone who liked some of them but most of the PS3 exclusives are wayyyyy overrated.

Two examples:

*MGS 4=more cutscenes than gaming
*inFamous=repetitive, Prototype was better even though multiplatform, but also just as repetitive

Now, on the other hand, if you want a truly challenging game that will both annoy and frustrate you as well as giving you a true sense of accomplishment when you finally beat it I have just two words for you: DEMON'S SOULS!!

It's the only really good PS3 exclusive at this point imo.

As for not being used to the PS3 controller and it's design, they sell third party controllers with the left stick/ D-Pad reversed to give it a 360 controller type of feel. The cheapest and best one I've seen(and used) is the Rocketfish one from Best Buy.

It's on clearance for $10 each and well worth it for that price. But be warned that the controller has a weaker set of L2/R2 triggers than the normal Dual Shock 3, a PS button that needs to be 'broke in' before it'll work fairly consistently and a battery that needs recharging about once every couple of days depending on the length of your playing session. But for $10 it's a hell of an option if you're looking for an Xbox 360 styled controller.

There's also the dreamGear Shadow wireless controller, but unlike the Rocketfish it runs on a wireless signal and it may mess up if there's other signals in the area that conflict with it. It also needs to use up one of the USB ports on the PS3 for a wireless dongle to connect to.

But both the Shadow and Rocketfish controllers have internal rechargable batteries, which is so much nicer than having a wireless controller that eats through batteries every week or so.

Anyway, I hope this helps you to make your decision.

[quote name='Moltres423']You have two houses and you're not sure which game system to get? Buy both. You must be loaded.[/QUOTE]
or it's a parential situation, not everyone on this site is an adult.

bread's done
Back