Extreme Space Invading! Space Invaders Extreme

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']Can't wait till my joystick gets here from japan.[/quote]

Who did you buy it from?

And will they ever print more of these out? $40 shipped is a lot for this little thing (best price on ebay I'm afraid). I'd rather get one from Play Asia but they all say out of print/stock!

[quote name='FurryCurry']Who did you buy it from?

And will they ever print more of these out? $40 shipped is a lot for this little thing (best price on ebay I'm afraid). I'd rather get one from Play Asia but they all say out of print/stock![/quote]

Got it from ebay for that $40 shipped price. It was profit money i spent, so i didn't worry much about the mula.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Who did you buy it from?

And will they ever print more of these out? $40 shipped is a lot for this little thing (best price on ebay I'm afraid). I'd rather get one from Play Asia but they all say out of print/stock![/quote]

try contacting Video Games New York. i didn't actually buy it from their online or B&M store, but they were at the anime con here (Anime Central, Rosemont, IL).

i think i bought the import Arkanoid DS Bundle for $50 or $60. like sixteenvolt420, i overpaid. but mann it's been too hard to find that i didn't care anymore...just had to buy it.

oh and i just picked up Space Invaders Extreme today. i forgot my DS at home. i could totally be playin it right now at work. anyone play it yet?

[quote name='typeRJ']try contacting Video Games New York. i didn't actually buy it from their online or B&M store, but they were at the anime con here (Anime Central, Rosemont, IL).

i think i bought the import Arkanoid DS Bundle for $50 or $60. like sixteenvolt420, i overpaid. but mann it's been too hard to find that i didn't care anymore...just had to buy it.[/quote]

That's funny, since I was at their B&M store back in March, and they didn't have the paddle (they had Arkanoid paddle-less). Unless they've sold out, Play-Asia still had Arkanoid with paddle in stock for $60 shipped.

Not showing up at all on Best Buy's site, and listed at coming soon on Circuit City's still.

Kind of annoying, hopefully the local stores (or target) will have it in by the end of the week. Would like to pick it up when I get time to grab Coldplay's latest. Don't have the interest in this to pay shipping, check multiple stores or end my boycott of Gamestop.

has any1 seen this game at Best Buy???

I couldnt get it becoz I'm too broke... until I remembered I had a BB gift card from buying a PS3.

it's not on their website tho... I wonder if this is one of the games that they're too cool to carry...

or maybe I should save my gift card for B-Boy

Yeah, I have a feeling this will be a bit hard to find in big box stores.

Oh well, if I can't just walk in and find it when buying other stuff I'll just pass as this is a long ways from being a game I'm interested enough in to put any effort into tracking down.

Holy shit, this game is amazing. After seeing the high reviews and the general praise around here, I went out and picked up a copy.

I am very glad I did. The comparisons to Pacman CE on XBLA are very apt - this is essentially a completely modern take on a very old idea, jazzed and jumpin'.

It's like Space Invaders + Lumines.

Highly recommended. I need to try out the multiplayer with someone.

[quote name='Strell']Holy shit, this game is amazing. After seeing the high reviews and the general praise around here, I went out and picked up a copy.

I am very glad I did. The comparisons to Pacman CE on XBLA are very apt - this is essentially a completely modern take on a very old idea, jazzed and jumpin'.

It's like Space Invaders + Lumines.

Highly recommended. I need to try out the multiplayer with someone.[/quote]

my thoughts exactly. freakin awesome!!! best $20 i've ever spent.

i never played Lumines but it reminded of Rez where every shot adds the beat to the song. every shot in Space Invaders has it's own sound effect too. like i shot this blue enemy who has a little shield in front of him and that made a clanging sound. shoot the explosive enemies and they make a different sound. soo much fun.

just when i thought the paddle was pretty awesome with Arkanoid, it's 1000x better with this game. soooo precise and very arcade-like. i recommend it.

nuttyturnip: i got it from VGNY in May when they came to chicago for the con. i paid $59.99 + tax, so it's still pretty good if you get it from Play-Asia.

Not only is Strell one fine piece of ass, he is also correct with what he said.

This is very awesome. I mean.. this, IMO, has potential as "DS Game of The Year".. I mean, even "Handheld game of the year" would be appropriate.

It's good, it's hard, it's fun.
This is a perfect upgrade to a classic game. I wish more retro games did this.

I can't recommend this enough.
I mean..for $20? Come on!

Picked this up at Target--so it is in big box stores. They only had 2 copies on the shelf though. At any rate I was very pleased to not have to think of setting foot in the gamestop beside the target **shudders**. :D

Will check it out a bit tonight, and more over the weekend.

Played a bit--the Pacman CE comparisons are indeed apt. This is a very nice update of a classic game. Looks pretty good on the DS as well!

Looking forward to spending more time with it and figuring everything out as it seems to have a lot of depth with figuring out the chains, the different bonus stages etc.

I'm heading to Japan at the end of July/August. If anyone wants me to try and pick them up paddles, better start letting me know now. I don't know how much of a paddle-mule I'll be, but just throwing it out there.

[quote name='Strell']I'm heading to Japan at the end of July/August. If anyone wants me to try and pick them up paddles, better start letting me know now. I don't know how much of a paddle-mule I'll be, but just throwing it out there.[/quote]

For free? I'll take a white one. ;)

I don't have the game yet (and won't for a while - I've bought too much), but how in the world would the paddle controller be "arcade-like"? Space Invaders didn't use a paddle controller. It was three buttons: left, right and shoot. You don't move at different speeds, there was only one speed. The face buttons on the DS would be far more "arcade-like" than a paddle controller.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't have the game yet (and won't for a while - I've bought too much), but how in the world would the paddle controller be "arcade-like"? Space Invaders didn't use a paddle controller. It was three buttons: left, right and shoot. You don't move at different speeds, there was only one speed. The face buttons on the DS would be far more "arcade-like" than a paddle controller.[/QUOTE]

Well it sounds like this version is not trying to be true to the original at all, hence I think people are saying the paddle makes it more like a traditional arcade-machine experience, not necessarily more true to the Space-Invaders experience.

So this game is really all that and a bag of chips? I may have to pick it up. My cheapass likes the price.

I'll make that friend code thread after work guys. I just went online last night, so I'll have mine.
This could be fun online.

Enjoy your day :cry:

[quote name='keithp']
So this game is really all that and a bag of chips? I may have to pick it up. My cheapass likes the price.[/QUOTE]

It's awesome. Again, pretty much does for Space Invaders what Pacman CE did for Pacman. Make a stale old game feel fresh and fun again.

It's hard as balls too--at least for me. Only on Stage 4 (did the easy path on stage 3, think I took the hard on 4).

Is hard on the thumb from all the shooting though!

[quote name='JEKKI']what do friend codes do in this game???
[/QUOTE]

It has wifi multiplayer. Haven't played it yet, but it seems like things you do send crap your opponents way (kind of like planet puzzle league in that sense I guess) and whoever loses all their cannons first loses the match). Pretty sure the PSP version doesn't have online multiplayer.

May have a friends leaderboard--not sure on that. Definitely a worldwide leaderboard though.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's awesome. Again, pretty much does for Space Invaders what Pacman CE did for Pacman. Make a stale old game feel fresh and fun again.

It's hard as balls too--at least for me. Only on Stage 4 (did the easy path on stage 3, think I took the hard on 4).[/quote]

it really does. i played Space Invaders at Dave & Busters last night and mann it was tough...kinda boring. where are my lights and sounds?! haha naw it was ok and i liked the challenge, but i opted to play Galaga instead.

two questions:

1. can you unlock the original in Extreme? i'm only on stage 4 as well, so i haven't unlocked it as of yet if it's in the game.

2. dumb question: to get a ROW, you just have to shoot all the enemies in one row, no misses? i can get COLUMN, SAME SHAPE, SAME COLOR no problem but ROW isn't happening for me.

i'll post my friend code later when lilboo makes the thread. i know i'll be playin a lot maybe tonight and Sunday for sure.

I can't stress how addicting this game is to me. All of my downtime at work consists of me mumbling obscenities to myself when I get killed.

Still stuck on Stage 4 in Arcade Mode. Can't get past 3 in Ranking Mode. It's a real challenge to go all the way in this game, should take me a while longer until I start cruising through this game. Then once I do, I'll be hitting single stages to get high scores. There's really a shitload to do with this game.

Online is a plus, finally won my first online versus match tonight.

Now, I need to hunt down and download the soundtrack for this game.

[quote name='Regian']

Now, I need to hunt down and download the soundtrack for this game.[/quote]

Send me a PM when you do man. I wonder if you'll find the PSP or DS version first.

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/TCPP-20018.html
NCSX has the paddles in all colors back in stock for $26 and some change plus S&H. I ordered black to match my senior citizen DS. I would have prefered red but alas...

Oh and for some reason, I want Pink
http://www.shopncsx.com/spaceinvadersheadphones.aspx

EDIT: Screw That TRU sale. I'm gonna go pick this game up for $10 plus tax tomorrow at Micro Center thanks to that coupon!

[quote name='Regian']

Now, I need to hunt down and download the soundtrack for this game.[/quote]

Send me a PM when you do man. I wonder if you'll find the PSP or DS version first.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Send me a PM when you do man. I wonder if you'll find the PSP or DS version first.

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/TCPP-20018.html
NCSX has the paddles in all colors back in stock for $26 and some change plus S&H. I ordered black to match my senior citizen DS. I would have prefered red but alas...[/quote]

awesome. this is gonna sound so wrong: i just ordered a pink paddle for my gf.

anyway, the soundtrack you're looking for is Space Invaders Extreme Audio Cluster which you can get through Play-asia.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Can anyone confirm the rumble pack support? I'd rather have that feature than paddle use.[/QUOTE]

Rumble pack support is listed right on the game case.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Rumble pack support is listed right on the game case.[/quote]

MEGA WTF!!!!!!!!

Developers remember that thing? Omg! *looks at DS* "Grow another damn GBA slot pronto. Daddy wants to plug all your holes with gaming peripheral goodness."

That's really cool that they included support for the pak. I can think of oh, MOST action games in need of the pak. Contra 4, Dementium, Nanostray 2, Geometry Wars, Rocket Slime, etc. come to mind.

[quote name='typeRJ']awesome. this is gonna sound so wrong: i just ordered a pink paddle for my gf.

anyway, the soundtrack you're looking for is Space Invaders Extreme Audio Cluster which you can get through Play-asia.[/quote]

Well that doesn't sound wrong really. If that's what she's into man. ;-) Ugh... as usual import cds are expensive. Anyone wanna chip in on this if all they want are MP3s of it?

picked this up today while i was at gamestop using the 20% off used ds/gba/psp coupon. Obviously this wasn't available used yet, just picked it up on top of the 5 used games i got. Now i await the arrival of my joystick from japan.

Picked it up today too.

The rumble turned out to be pretty crappy and pointless. It's constantly ticking away to the bass of the music beat (nonstop without variation), but NOT for when you hit an alien. Ugh.

The DS version is ugly as hell too! Those blocky explosions really make it retro. I guess I'm a little disappointed after playing the PSP demo that had much nicer looking flares of destruction. Everything is just not as crisp and clear. Oh well.

So that leaves the saving grace of wi-fi mutliplayer which I will have to test out soon.

Well yeah it's lacking the PSP's "Crisp-O-Maker" in the graphics department but it's not that big of a deal. I'd rather take a hit in graphics to get a plus in silly rumble, a paddle controller, and well Wi-Fi.

Anyone figure out exactly what you have to do to be able to choose the harder stages? i.e. stage 3B instead of 3A.

It must be tied to score and/or rank. I finished off the A path yesterday and it took me a couple of replays to have 3B available the time it was there I'd Ranked A on stage 1 and S on stage 2.

Just curious on what the actual cut offs are to get the option--also for 4B, C and 5B, C & D.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Anyone figure out exactly what you have to do to be able to choose the harder stages? i.e. stage 3B instead of 3A.

It must be tied to score and/or rank. I finished off the A path yesterday and it took me a couple of replays to have 3B available the time it was there I'd Ranked A on stage 1 and S on stage 2.

Just curious on what the actual cut offs are to get the option--also for 4B, C and 5B, C & D.[/quote]

i completed Stage 4 with an S and it gave me the option for choosing 5A and 5B. on the previous stages i got an B or lower and it didn't let me choose. A or better sounds about right.

i have nothing to do today, so randomly i'll jump online. my friend code is:

I DLed the DS version (cough, rom, cough) to give it a test drive before I buy it but I thought I'd rather have this on the PSP. I'm a sucker for the pretty graphics and sounds. I won't be playing it with anyone either so no big deal there. I just got back from Wal Mart and they didn't have it... sadly. I'll have to check Gamestop tomorrow. This game is great!!

"The game’s an absolute steal at 20 bucks on either the Nintendo DS or the PlayStation Portable, but if you want the definitive version of this fantastic classic revisit, the Nintendo DS version is it." - IGN review.

PSP version lacks online leaderboards(seems lame but it is actually fun to play ranked mode and see how you stack up against japanese players).
PSP lacks online play(supports local play).
PSP lacks game sharing.

IGN ranks graphics, sound, and gamplay exactly the same on psp and DS, but DS has better presentation, and more lasting appeal.

Also I think the dual screens are actually put to good use, especially on bosses.

Anyways that is just my thought on psp vs. ds.

I really don't understand why the PSP version doesn't have online leaderboards. It really makes no sense at all. The ranking mode IS really fun, too!

If the DS/PSP versions were the same exact thing, I would have actually picked up the PSP version because it would look/sound better.

But then again, the DS version doesn't look or sound bad plus using both screens is pretty awesome.

bread's done
Back