Extreme YMMV: XBOX Live 12 month kit $4.97 @ Military BX

bbj77

CAGiversary!
Ok, this is extremely YMMV and you have to have access to a military Base Exchange (BX) :cry:, but I was searching around the video game dept at the BX at Dover AFB, DE, and found the old XBOX live starter kits for $4.97!!! These are the ones that came out way back in the day and came packaged with the XBOX game Crimson Skies and the headset for the XBOX 1 controller. The awesome part about it is the 12 month XBOX Live card that is also packaged!!! I was unsure if the codes would still work after all this time, plus the fact they were released before the 360 came out, but I bought one to test it and in fact the code still worked!! The BX had 5 copies on the shelf, and I went back and bought the rest of them. :D I don't think you can stack up 5 years worth on Live (i just added one of the cards to take me up to 2 years remaining now)
Anyway, I don't remember seeing these on the shelf in the store other times I went there, but if you have access to a military base, check out the BX to see if your's has these for sale also. I know extrememy YMMV and this might only benefit a handful of you, but it is worth a shot.

does this work on xbox 360? o.o? I think there a Military base exchange here and i have some friend just came back from the military.

[quote name='xDerekRx']What is this store and is there a locater :)[/quote]

you can't get in anyway if you're not in the military or know someone in the military. You're carded when you enter base.

Good looking out OP, I'll have to tell my brother in law to check out the NEX to see if there's any cards around at this price.

My BX totally emptied its video game section back in February. It used to take up 2 aisles with a bargain bin on the end. Now it is just one side of a single aisle, and they only carry brand new games plus like 6 copies of Mark Ecko Gettin' Up: Special Edition they can't get rid of, 3 Game Boy Micros, and an Eye Toy. It pisses me off, because last year they had a killer Christmas sale. They had a bin packed with clearance games that seemed to be picked completely at random. I got a copy of Oblivion: GOTY for the PS3 for $27, but there was also copies of Lair, The Darkness, Harry Potter, Eternal Sonata, and some Naruto game for the same price (all fairly recent titles at the time). There was also a $7 copy of Chibi-Robo that I thought about for a long time before passing on. I regret that. The BX was one of my favorite places to buy games because the people running it had no idea what games should be priced at and because the place doesn't charge tax.

I think its time to give the Military base another visit. The closest NEX is now closed and the next closest one is about a 1 hour drive.

[quote name='koji126']I think its time to give the Military base another visit. The closest NEX is now closed and the next closest one is about a 1 hour drive.[/QUOTE]

It won't be worth your trip. I check all four base exchanges in San Diego County on a weekly basis and other than the same 50% off Xbox games clearance which has been running for literally a year now with none of the games being sold, they haven't had Xbox Live kits for at least three years. Individual exchanges can run clearance any way the manager sees fit and the likelihood that any other exchange still has Live kits of this vintage for this price is very, very low.

The only thing i saw at my PX was a military appreciation pack. Buy a $29 3month live card get another 3 month live card free. Which doesnt seem like much of a deal.

[quote name='Lost Loser']My BX totally emptied its video game section back in February. It used to take up 2 aisles with a bargain bin on the end. Now it is just one side of a single aisle, and they only carry brand new games plus like 6 copies of Mark Ecko Gettin' Up: Special Edition they can't get rid of, 3 Game Boy Micros, and an Eye Toy. It pisses me off, because last year they had a killer Christmas sale. They had a bin packed with clearance games that seemed to be picked completely at random. I got a copy of Oblivion: GOTY for the PS3 for $27, but there was also copies of Lair, The Darkness, Harry Potter, Eternal Sonata, and some Naruto game for the same price (all fairly recent titles at the time). There was also a $7 copy of Chibi-Robo that I thought about for a long time before passing on. I regret that. The BX was one of my favorite places to buy games because the people running it had no idea what games should be priced at and because the place doesn't charge tax.[/quote]

I hear ya. The BX here also had a bin of old games on clearence for under $10. In the bin were XBOX and PS2 games, including Crimson Skies, which was selling for the same $4.97 as the Live kit. I have seen 1/2 off stickers of fairly new games there before and I know the employees don't know how to price games there. I don't know where this BX found these old kits, either in a box in the back of the store that had been unopened for years, or they got in a shipment of old games. So I thought other BX's might have received similar shipments.

[quote name='luan87us']does this work on xbox 360? o.o? I think there a Military base exchange here and i have some friend just came back from the military.[/quote]

Yeah, it did work on the 360. I was not optimistic that it would, being that it didn't have any 360 labels anywhere on the box, but i put the code in, and it added a year to my account. And sorry to the people who would like one, but I have already promised away the ones I wasn't going to use to my brother in law and neighbor.

Wow, never thought i'd see a post from a CAG member in Kent County, DE or Dover for that matter. Nice to see a local, though I guess this does confirm some competition for finding the deals in the area, lol, j/k.

.....I don't understand why you hoarded all the cards though....

wouldn't you have done the same? ask yourself that =). I need to contact my military friends and get them to hook me up hehe

[quote name='strongpimphand'].....I don't understand why you hoarded all the cards though....[/QUOTE]

I completely understand. And people don't ask for him to sell you his Live 12 month cards. I don't think the O.P. is an idiot. Get your own.

[quote name='strongpimphand'].....I don't understand why you hoarded all the cards though....[/QUOTE]

Because it was a fantastic deal on a product of which he can use more than one? If I could buy 10 of these, I would. I'd be paid up until February 2020.

All AAFES deals are extreme YMMV. There's 2 bases in my town, and 1 will have a game $10, and the other will have it full price ($60-$50).

I went to my BX to get a haircut today, and I stopped by the game section. First, at the very front of the store they had a bargain bin of last gen games. Most were for the Xbox. A lot were Tom Clancy games, including one of the Ghost Recon. There was also a few From Russia With Love, and a shit load of America's Army. There was also an odd game that had 7 games in one including a shooting game and football. It started with an "I", but I'd never heard of it. In PS2 there was more Tom Clancy including Splinter Cell 3. There was also a bunch of Sly Cooper 3. The Gamecube portion had one copy of Sonic Gems Collection, and then a bundle of 6 games taped together. I don't remember them all, but 3 of them were an Army Men game, Tony Hawk 4, and Second Sight. Then there was a tennis game for the PSP, a football and poker game bundled together for the DS, and 4 games bundled together for GBA (included Road Rash and The Hobbit). Everything in the bin was $9.90 a piece (including the bundles). I didn't really want any of it though.

Then in the proper game section it was what I expected. They have finally gotten rid of Mark Ecko, but they still have a bunch of Game Boy Micros for $58, and that Eye Toy I was talking about. They also have Pump It Up with the dance mat. Then I saw that they had somehow dug out one of those Xbox Live sets you were talking about, with the original console headset and Crimson Skies. It was $25 though. I didn't get anything. I guess it's better that way, since I don't have a job right now.

Hah, me and my buddy stumbled upon two sets a couple nights ago at our BX here at Goodfellow AFB in Texas and i had to explain to him that despite the fact it was made for the first xbox, that the code would still work. Best deal I've found at a BX. I've been checking every night to see if more pop up but none have :(

[quote name='Access_Denied']I work for the navy base, but I'm not allowed to shop at the exchange. My aunt is though. Hmmm.[/quote]

As I posted above, AAFES and the NEX are run by two different companies...:D Just trying to save you some time.

...Wasn't expecting to find this, but sure enough, it was there...

There's 3 more of these kits remaining at the Travis AFB exchange. ...I plan on passing this on to a couple of people at work tonight, so we'll see what happens...

Good find/thanks OP.

I happened to be back in the BX where I found the original Live Kits, and they had 3 more on the shelf. So you can guess what I came home with! One of the employees there was a younger guy and he saw me carrying them around and asked if they still worked. I wasn't going to say they did just so he wouldn't go to the back and take any more they had. But my wife was with me and she just blurted out "Yeah they worked just fine.":roll: I later saw the guy going to the back with a shopping cart, so these might be the last ones I buy. the grand total was 7 live kits I bought for just under $35 total. In case you are wondering, I didnt hoard them all, I sold a few and gave 1 away. But I do have 7 copies of Crimson Skies now.

bread's done
Back