F it guys. I visted the Dell site and was easily amused I got..

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the title to this thread, the first thing I thought was, "why are you going to shoot a laptop?"

But anyway, my concern for this laptop would be battery life because it has a quad core processor. Even if the processor can clock itself down, thus reducing power usage, it still has to power more transistors than if you were to get a dual core.

I guess what I should ask is, why quad and not dual core?

I highly recommend considering a macbook for that price. I just made the switch from my Sony laptop and am loving it.

BTW, accept my friend request xcopy. :D

Thats a nice laptop but thats a power house laptop, which means portability is a big minus. For half the price you can get a sweet custom desktop.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I highly recommend considering a macbook for that price. I just made the switch from my Sony laptop and am loving it.
[/quote]

But why get something that's far inferior to the computer he linked?

It's not even possible to get a laptop off of Apple with a 500GB Hard drive, Blu-ray player, Quad-core, or a screen that big. Never mind the massive amount he would have to spend for something that might compare.

I say bite because that thing is pretty damn nice. The only thing I'd be worried about like others said is battery life, yet neither person in the reviews on amazon complained about battery life.

If your not using it for gaming why get such an expensive model, Are you doing something that requires the performance or the blueray? If not you could probably get something that runs 80-90% as well for under $500

Unless you are doing something that requires the resources, such as gaming (which you said isn't important), then you don't need this laptop. Don't get me wrong, it's got the kind of specs that want to make me cry, with a huge screen to boot, but we wouldn't be cheap asses if we said go for it.

[quote name='itachiitachi']If your not using it for gaming why get such an expensive model, Are you doing something that requires the performance or the blueray? If not you could probably get something that runs 80-90% as well for under $500[/quote]

Yea!, like the laptop I am trying to sell in my list, lol.

Anyway, $1770 for a laptop is overkill imo, unless you get it for gaming/video editing/ and such. That size is a huge turnoff since a laptop is supposed to be portable. To each their own.

Yeah I'd say if you've got the cash then go for it. Anyone know if HP's improved at all? I don't know if it's just bad luck but my sister's and cousin's laptops which may have been the same model (it was a 17" Pavilion notebook) both fried. That and I heard HP weren't that good for notebooks but I wanna know from people who have experience with more recent HP laptops.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']Do you really need such an expensive laptop? Are you sure you can't manage with a laptop that's sub-$1000?[/QUOTE]

I need it to run Solid Works mainly.

[quote name='Aberforth']If you want it to run Solid Works then I'd suggest getting a workstation laptop.[/quote]

I was looking for at Dell for M90's, but they are no longer being sold there, so I just got a refurbished XPS 1730. :lol:

Christ.. how much does that thing weigh? More like a desktop than a laptop.. great if you don't plan on moving it often.

Edit: 230w power supply?! What?! For a laptop?! I think my laptop's PS is 35w...

Yeah, I agree. If you're going to get something that big and heavy, might as well build a good desktop. It will be better and cost you less.

How often will you be carrying it around?

You spent almost 2K on a refurbished laptop that will start showing it's age in under two years :rofl:

[quote name='crystalklear64']Yea, its a solid laptop, but it defeats the purpose of it being a laptop.[/QUOTE]

I think everybody who buys a gaming laptop thinks that it's going to be a portable workstation that will still function like a laptop.

They fail to realize that A) it's really heavy and a pain in the ass to carry around B) it's a battery guzzler C) it runs hot and D) it will soon be outdated and you'll be stuck with a machine that not only can't play new games but is heavy, runs hot, runs for an hour before the battery dies and nearly impossible to upgrade.

[quote name='Aberforth']When I saw the title to this thread, the first thing I thought was, "why are you going to shoot a laptop?"

But anyway, my concern for this laptop would be battery life because it has a quad core processor. Even if the processor can clock itself down, thus reducing power usage, it still has to power more transistors than if you were to get a dual core.

I guess what I should ask is, why quad and not dual core?[/quote]

1 XPS M1730 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
I think that's dual-core (don't know much about computers but seems to be...)
$

--
I got a laptop from dell outlet as well - my dell xps m1530 with 3 yr extended warranty for $1234 (about $950 before the warranty). Pretty heavy but I rarely bring it anywhere (have no viable space for a desktop/I like being able to relax when on it rather than sit while on a desktop).

Meh weight shouldn't be a big deal, it's not like he has a problem and can't carry something around a bit. Besides most people get a laptop to use in different spots around the house is what I've noticed.

I still think that you should re think it and go with the HP though :D

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of HP, but I'd take them over Dell any day, just from personal experience.

I bought a laptop from Dell last August and have had nothing but problems with it. I take good care of it too.

[quote name='xcopy']a refurbished XPS 1730 instead from the Dell Outlet.. I know I know.. it a gaming PC, but hell work and pleasure can be mixed.. I think.

I'll upgrade HDD and RAM later...and perhaps the warranty.

What sold me was the dual Nvidia SLI 8700 MGT 512 MB /w 128MB AGEIA PhysX Physics Accelerator

Specs below:

spacer.gif

1 XPS M1730 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
1 Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate
1 Smoke Grey
1 120 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200RPM)
1 Dell Bluetooth 5 Button Travel Mouse
1 17 inch Wide Screen WUXGA TrueLife LCD Panel 1920x1600
1 NVIDIA SLI GeForce 8700MGT with 512MB GDDR3 Memory
1 AGEIA PhysX Physics Accelerator 128MB
1 8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
1 MEDIA DIRECT 3.5
1 Microsoft Works 9.0
1 3945 802.11a/g Wireless Mini Card
1 Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
1 230W Power Supply
1 Bluetooth Wireless Card 355
1 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
1 9 Cell Primary Battery
1 Image Restore Software
1 Roxio Creator 10
1 XPS M1730: 1 Yr Limited Hardware Warranty, In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis, 24x7 Phone Support (Included In Price)
[FONT=arial, helvetica] Order Subtotal: $1,669.00
Shipping and Handling Total:
$39.00
Environmental Disposal Fee: $16.00
Tax Total:
$149.43
Total Amount:
$1,873.43
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

To be honest, if you're going to spend that kind of money, you probably should have just gotten an Alienware.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Yeah, I agree. If you're going to get something that big and heavy, might as well build a good desktop. It will be better and cost you less.

How often will you be carrying it around?[/QUOTE]

at least 3 to 4 days in a week.

If you haven't bought it yet, then I'd recommend this.
If you want something lighter, then go with this.

I have one of their lower end notebooks, and I'm happy with it.

Also, accept my friend request.

The 8700 is two generations old and even new, it was weak.

PhysX is also a joke. Most games don't even support it, and those that do would be handled just fine by even the mediocre SLI cards.

If you want a gaming laptop, fine, but this was a poor choice. For the same price, you could have gotten a decent work laptop and gaming desktop.

This is what I've done, pick up/build a decent gaming desktop for $1000, pick up a decent spec'd notebook for $500 (which actually buys a decent notebook), then get a netbook for $300. Then you have all the bases covered for the same price.

I think I made a good purchase. Try configuring these specs as new and the price will be more. Also as far as being outdated that doesn't really concern me. It's an upgradable laptop, so hardware isn't an issue... and yes I've had expensive laptops before from Sager to Alienware.

The actual price of the laptop was around $1600+. It was just the tax and shipping that killed it, but money wise it doesn't put any dents in my wallet.

Thanks for the honest opinions guys and in the future I'll pick up one up that's really top of the line. :)

[quote name='xcopy']ITry configuring these specs as new and the price will be more. [/QUOTE]

#-o

[quote name='xcopy']Also as far as being outdated that doesn't really concern me. It's an upgradable laptop[/QUOTE]

#-o#-o#-o

This is going to be a really expensive lesson for you.

[quote name='Sporadic']#-o

#-o#-o#-o

This is going to be a really expensive lesson for you.[/quote]

Expensive is my middle name. :)

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']If you've got the cash, go for it. Although the screen resolution could be better.[/quote]

Uh? 1920x1600

I don't even think I have even heard of that resoultion. I've heard of 1900x1600 and 1920x1200 though.

But how is that bad??

WUXGA is 1920x1200, which at 17" is incredible.. that's the resolution of my 24" monitor and even that is sharp as hell.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Uh? 1920x1600

I don't even think I have even heard of that resoultion. I've heard of 1900x1600 and 1920x1200 though.

But how is that bad??[/quote]The original post he had was to another notebook with a resolution of 1366x768, or somewhere in that neighborhood.

As a previous owner of a Sager laptop running SLI, I can tell you that these kind of desktop replacement notebooks are a double edged sword. For one, you'll only get an hour off battery tops so you can forget lugging this thing to work/school or wherever. Mine sat on my desk full time and was basically a desktop. But the performance of these types of machines cannot be touched, and the big beautiful thin screen is still an awesome thing for me to behold. You'll have to get yourself a highend notebook cooler with an active fan as well as these things run hot. Think about it, you have 2 gpus, a quad core cpu and a huge HD stuffed into a smallish chasis. So don't even bother getting this if you live in a warm climate with no A/C, it WILL break down due to heat on you eventually I gaurantee you that. You have to baby these desktop replacements which means cleaning it out from dust every few weeks as well. If you lose one of the fans due to clogging your machine is done for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back