F.Y.E Eliminating Video Games - Used Games 25% off in-store, YMMV...

stringycupps1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I went to my local F.Y.E., and saw a couple of decently priced Wii games (like Mario Galaxy 2 used for $15).  It rang up for $11.25, so I started talking to the cashier.  She said they were eliminating video games and all used games were 25% off.  I also signed up for a free trial of their club for an added 10% off.  Got Galaxy 2 for $10.12.  I have a month free then will cancel it next week.  They had a fair number of games for every system, but I stuck with Nintendo games.  All had original artwork and manuals except for Windwaker.  Windwaker didn't have a physical manual but had instructions for digital manual.  I went back and grabbed:

Wii U

Hyrule Warriors $33.74

Windwaker HD $26.99

NSMBU: $26.99

Wii

Skyward Sword (complete with bonus CD) $16.37 

Super Paper Mario $10.12

NSMB Wii $10.12

3DS

Pokemon Y $20.24

EDIT: Please let us know if it works at your store too!  I might try another store in the area on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neshaminy Mall right near Sears. There is also the one in Plymouth Meeting that sells games. The FYE in Montgomery Mall hasn't carried games in years and Willow Grove closed a few years ago.
Is Montgomery Mall FYE even there anymore? I havent seen it. (though they still have a Radio Shack there LOL) I live in Feasterville but stop at that mall sometimes on my way to my girlfriend's.

They had a $10 million net loss in 2012, they were forced to close over 50 major brick & mortar stores in the last few years
That's kind of irrelevant. Most major companies undergo massive changes due to being around for so long and in so many places, so it's only natural for them to incurr some losses. Closing stores doesn't necessarily mean they are failing - it means they are taking the right steps to change and become profitable long term, even if that means taking a loss short-term (see: investment). Regardless, it's perfectly natural for a technology-centric retailer to close b&m stores as they aren't needed. BTW, have you looked at the number of BB mobile stores that have propped up? Or only looking at the seemingly-negative?

I mean, look at Nintendo - theyve had many years in the red over the past century yet remain the most profitable. Because they adapt when they need to despite their risky nature.

FYE never changed, and that's the main reason they failed. Perhaps NOT closing stores quickly enough is what aided their demise.

TWE Stock was coming dangerously close to pink sheet territory for a while, it rebounded back to around $3 or so, but that's still awful for a company of their size.

I didn't thoroughly look I kinda just walked in and left. It seems like they still had a lot from what I remember. The one item I do remember them having was Watch Dogs (x one) for $25 and it had the 50% off yellow.
sticker on it.
looks like i might have missed out from moving out, thanks for the info though!

I don't see FYE going out anytime soon. There's five FYE somewhat close to me, another two kinda further and another two way too far and all of them are usually somewhat busy. More people buying media than Best Buy for sure. Their prices aren't actually bad if you look. They have lots of good sales, but their regular prices...yeah...some are higher than the previously mentioned Barnes & Noble. They've been doing 50% off "select" new games for awhile but they were all $60 and it was all $20 or less elsewhere. FYE gets in and out of video games on a regular basis, they just jump on trends then panic and run away. I actually like FYE, their used buy 1 get 1 for $1 sales are awesome.

Is Montgomery Mall FYE even there anymore? I havent seen it. (though they still have a Radio Shack there LOL) I live in Feasterville but stop at that mall sometimes on my way to my girlfriend's.
I haven't been there since January but I think it was still open then. If it is still open, it's at the end of the mall on the 2nd floor, the opposite end of the food court.

To be fair though, people have been saying this for at least 10 years yet they are still around, although a decent number of locations did eventually shut down.

Id never even been in one till 3 years ago when I met my girlfriend and they had one in their mall near her. I hadnt been in a mall for like a decade at least.

I liked a store that had a lot of used movies and music but it felt like a store right out of the mid 90s and was over priced. I wish it was different as I miss stores that had big selections of various stuff like media play used to have. Most stores I go in now have small selections and pretty much all have the same thing. oh well I guess times change.

I guess they stay on life support purely because they dont have much competition in that area.

The Philly store on Broad Street has clearance sheets taped up for 3DS/PS3/360/PSP hardware, but two-thirds of the items are already crossed out, and discounts are pretty bleh. The best of the bunch:

2DS Crimson Red $99.99
3DS Flame Red $149.99
DSi Black $49.99
DSi Pink $49.99
PSP 3000 Core $79.99
Skylanders Swap Force/Spyros Adventure/Giants: 90% off

No discounts when I had a game rung up. *shrug*

The other store in Philly closed a few months ago, due to the imminent closure/remodeling of The Gallery.

This is weird as my FYE that carries games told me games were selling well.

It seems like FYE does this every few years.  They liquidate games and then carry them again and then liquidate.

If this is nationwide and you are near Waterbury, CT, go to the mall and see if FYE Games (a dedicated Video game store) is going out of business.  I go there each year when I go home and they carry rare stuff from NES on and is a huge store.  If they are going out also, then that is definitely worth a look if you are in the area.

The Philly store on Broad Street has clearance sheets taped up for 3DS/PS3/360/PSP hardware, but two-thirds of the items are already crossed out, and discounts are pretty bleh. The best of the bunch:

2DS Crimson Red $99.99
3DS Flame Red $149.99
DSi Black $49.99
DSi Pink $49.99
PSP 3000 Core $79.99

The other store in Philly closed a few months ago, due to the imminent closure/remodeling of The Gallery.
Whew. That makes me feel better. I was at a seminar next door at the Union League yesterday morning and didn't go in (since I didn't know about any sales). Would've been pissed if I missed something good.

I still remember watching video of that store getting trashed in 2008.

I'm not sure if the closest F.Y.E. has games...I will have to check.

Regardless, I haven't bought anything from the store in likely 10+ years. I take a lap through the store if I'm in the mall. Their prices are terrible though.

Interestingly my FYE in New Hartford, NY is sandwiched between a DEB store that went out of business after Christmas, a Sears which is going out of business in July and it's directly across from a Radioshack which went out of business a couple weeks ago.  They'll be alone down that hallway pretty soon, if not out of business themselves.

Game wise, they still had PSP, GBA and PS2 games.  They really don't try hard to dump old inventory it seems.  Sadly they still had the same buy one get one for 50% off sale on the games that I saw last month.  I didn't see anything that was worth buying even if it was one off for 25%.  Most everything is priced insanely.  I was sorta interested in Bravely Default but it would only be down to $30 which isn't that big of a savings.   

I did get a pair of import $1 cds that probably no one else but myself would want wanted. Steps "Buzz" and a random Stray Cats sessions budget release.  Also I got a 3 album CD pack of Hall & Oates for $2.50.  

:(

All the FYE stores closed over here a couple years ago. I really liked them for music. Can't be too sad though, I went crazy during their liquidation sales.
Same here. Happened in my college town a few years back. Got a ton of movies for less than a dollar. CDs for little of nothing. Games were $4-10 each. Energy drinks were 10/$1

Man...I went almost every day. And new stuff kept popping up for some reason. But yeah...when you're charging $18.99 for a new cd, $27.99 for a DVD, and $39.99 for a blu-Ray..it's hard to sell a ton of stuff

At the FYE near me, I was able to grab a used Bloodborne for $38 out the door. Im happy. :)

I'd love to do this, but there isn't any games I'm wanting that I don't have. Project Cars, Arkham Knight, Mad Max, Phantom Pain... :/

I'd love to do this, but there isn't any games I'm wanting that I don't have. Project Cars, Arkham Knight, Mad Max, Phantom Pain... :/
What a suitable name for you then, eh?

I hope you're aware of what the insult means before you copied it from The Avengers.

None of my FYEs are doing this near me. But they do have buy one used game get one 50% off. Forza Horizon 2 is $39.99 and Battlefield 4 is $24.99. Might bite at those prices.

2DS Crimson Red $99.99
3DS Flame Red $149.99
DSi Black $49.99
DSi Pink $49.99
PSP 3000 Core $79.99

the one on broad blows in general they never have any good albums

Netflix, Amazon and Spotify killed Circuit City, Borders and Virgin Megastore. I can't believe Barnes and Noble are still alive with Blu Ray movies listed for $40. I guess high schoolers and hipsters need a place to hang out on Friday nights.
My guess would be because Music/DVD is a kicker for Barnes at best... I have a feeling that you know where the vast majority of their profits come from

It's books

I was in a Sam Goody about a month ago.
Didn't realize they still existed. I used to go to them all the time back when I was a teen outside of Philly....long before Best Buys and even Circuit City was in my area. Hell, PA didn't even have Wal-Marts LOL.

So, yeah that was when Sam Goody could charge an arm and a leg for cassette tapes and, eventually, CDs. But I thought all the other stores mentioned above killed them off. Guess not.

I don't even know how FYE exists. I don't remember the last time I bought a CD.

I went to another one in the area (Broad St. by Philly City Hall) while I waited for the jury to deliberate in a trial we had, and they had B1G1 50% off on used games.  Most of the games were overpriced, but I found Killzone 3 and Unit 13 for $10 each so I did the deal.  They also had the 3DS XL hand grip I've been looking for.

I managed to find a "new" copy of Pikmin 3 for about 38 after signing up for the discount card.  Only one of my local stores stocks new games, though.

Went to the one left in my county and scored The Orange Box for 360 for $3.00 and Call of Duty Ghosts Prestige for $30. The Season Pass was redeemed but I wanted the camera which was not used before.

Also on "sale" for New games I saw AC:Unity for $30 before discount and Killzone for $20 on PS4. XboxOne had Watch Dogs and Shadow of Mordor for $30 before discount. Xbox 360 had Gears of War Judgement and Metal Gear Rising Revengance for $7.50 before discount.

My local FYE in Johnstown NY... isnt getting rid of anything.

I called and asked, I must've sounded like "one of THOSE customers," I was told they "have a bin" of new, clearance games that's 25% off, and all Used games are--wait for it...B1G50%-off. Seriously.

I went in there last week for the first time in YEARS and they had what must've been a 15ft section of wall full overpriced games. What a letdown, as usual with these guys.

Went to Plymouth Meeting, PA store. Got Pikmin 3 new for $37. Some new clearance games aren't marked and were still 25% off.  They actually had signs that said all used games were 25% off.  The guy working there told me all new games were at least 10% off, with some being 25% of 50%.  I also got a misprinted Resident Evil Revelations for $16, Kirby's Return to Dreamland (unfortunately new, so only 10%) on the Wii for $40 (doesn't sound like a deal, but check Amazon and you'll see it's a deal), Super Luigi U for $24, and a sealed copy of MGS Snake Eater 3D for 3DS for $24 (another hard game to find new).

I also cancelled my membership, as I've visited all of the stores in the area to grab what I wanted.  The guy was of course pushy but just keep saying "No thank you, I'd like to cancel" after all of their pitches and they will give you a cancellation confirmation number.  I saved about $50-$60 by signing up for that free trial to the 5 minutes it took to cancel was well worth it, as of now.  Now have to just monitor my credit card statements extra closely...

This place is such a joke. I picked up 3 used games to have them price check the obviously outdated used prices. Sure enough evil within rang up at $49.99. Second son was $39.99 and shadow of mordor was $49.99. Guess they have a buy 2 get 1 free deal cuz total was $100 and some chanGe. Laughed in the ladies face and told her I'll go to best buy and get them all new for roughly $70 minus gcu plus tax

This place is such a joke. I picked up 3 used games to have them price check the obviously outdated used prices. Sure enough evil within rang up at $49.99. Second son was $39.99 and shadow of mordor was $49.99. Guess they have a buy 2 get 1 free deal cuz total was $100 and some chanGe. Laughed in the ladies face and told her I'll go to best buy and get them all new for roughly $70 minus gcu plus tax
I'm sure she appreciated your laugh, and begrudged your ability to shop elsewhere... 'cause, you know she specifically sets the prices, and with the express notion to annoy you.

Geez man, what're you, 12?

bread's done
Back