F.Y.E.- Storewide Sales: 15-50% Off Games + More 4/5-4/17 (YMMV)

Jackie Chandler

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Just got back from the Sam Goody store I work at, and we're about to start preparing the store for a storewide sale. That's right- everything in the store is going to be on sale. This includes games, of course. Unfortunately, since I'm low on the totem pole, I only got to look at the sheet with information on it briefly. But I wrote down a few notable things for the sale as far as games go:

15% off New and Used games: PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, GBA SP, and GBA Duel. (I'm getting to that- don't worry.)

50% off New and Used games: Xbox, Playstation, GBA, and Gamecube.

Now, what I find odd is that they listed GBA SP in the 15% section, but listed GBA in the 50% section. Why is that?

In addition to the list with the percentage discounts on them, I saw a picture with what appeared to be (and if it's not, I'm sorry) a sign hanging above the DS game section with a sign that says "$30 off" with what looks like DS Lites. So basically, the 15/50% may apply to consoles.

I wish I could tell you all more, but that's all I know for know. I'll post back when I get more information, assuming the community's still interested.

Notes:

If you have a Backstage Pass or V.I.P. Membership, it WILL stack with the sales promos.

Rebates will remain in effect during the promotion.

Upcoming new releases will NOT be part of the sale. Basically, as far as games go, any title that's released during the sale will most likely be MSRP. The only exception is Splinter Cell: Conviction, of which a special note is made that the RE will be $49.99, and the S.E. will be $64.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up. I am looking forward for more information. It will be cool if they include some discount on the cosoles.

Too bad that my clostest FYE no longer has games of any variety. :(

The employees are a bunch of assholes anyways.(one once called me a prick after I called him on his lie)

Saw this sale in a store last night, and it also said "Store Closing". Unfortunately, they don't really have much in the way of games that I actually want, and for the few that I might, 15% off of their prices is not a deal (they got rid of most of their last-gen stock a while ago, so the 50% isn't even significant in their case). So if this is chain-wide, is FYE finally going out of business entirely?

(I don't mean "finally" like I was hoping they'd go out of business or anything, but it has just seemed to me for a long time that their prices and business practices weren't sustainable.)

the 50% off ps2 and xbox games were active at a couple FYE's I went to in the last week. didn't post it on here cause all I found was some old sports games and titles like 50 cent blood in the sand, etc. Didn't have any sales on newer console titles. DS lites had a $30 mail in rebate, but with DSI XL I would imagine DS lite deals should become more common place.

Not really big news, at least for games, FYE has been having these deals but its YMMV.
my FYE has 75% off New games: Xbox, Playstation, GBA, and Gamecube
and 50% off PS2 games.

If you get the chance, guys, you may want to swing in some time before the sale starts to pick up any heavily discounted DVDs or CDs. F.Y.E. is all about having "$14.99" items "On Sale" for like $4, so 50% obviously won't be a better deal.

I'm about to update the OP just a little bit. Biggest note is that the Backstage Pass/V.I.P. is going to stack with the sales promos (but won't work with consoles, unfortunately).

EDIT: Actually, I'm getting a bit worried now that not all stores may be participating. It's obvious that the closing stores won't be taking part in it, but after looking back over a picture I took of the front page of the paper, it says around the top line that "your store will be participating in an 'Entire Store on Sale' promotion." When I talked to my manager about it, though, she made it sound like it was a company wide thing. For now, I'm removing National from the thread title until I get more information about it. And if anyone hears back from their stores or wouldn't mind asking if you get the chance, I'd appreciate if you shared with me or the thread what you hear. Sorry for not being 100% on this, guys.

I havent seen an FYE store yet that hasnt had this sale already. One had this 15-50 off sale last month but now is 75 on old gen (not ps2 tho). Great deal though if your store has some nice stock.

[quote name='xDerekRx']I havent seen an FYE store yet that hasnt had this sale already. One had this 15-50 off sale last month but now is 75 on old gen (not ps2 tho). Great deal though if your store has some nice stock.[/QUOTE]
Things like this is what I'm afraid of. I hope I haven't set off a false alarm.

[quote name='slidecage']in store only or online as well[/QUOTE]
The paper didn't mention anything about an online sale- but then again, it was all instructions/informative about the in-store sale.

[quote name='dabamus']
The employees are a bunch of assholes anyways.(one once called me a prick after I called him on his lie)[/QUOTE]

I'd really like to hear this :)

[quote name='Josef']My FYE already has 25% off ALL games including new releases (i.e. the new Pokemon games).[/QUOTE]

Same at mine (St. Pete, FL), although it was picked over so there was nothing worthwhile. Only notables I remember were Punch-Out!! and Guitar Hero 5. Everything else was at least 2 years old or crap/shovelware.

[quote name='arcane93']Saw this sale in a store last night, and it also said "Store Closing". Unfortunately, they don't really have much in the way of games that I actually want, and for the few that I might, 15% off of their prices is not a deal (they got rid of most of their last-gen stock a while ago, so the 50% isn't even significant in their case). So if this is chain-wide, is FYE finally going out of business entirely?

(I don't mean "finally" like I was hoping they'd go out of business or anything, but it has just seemed to me for a long time that their prices and business practices weren't sustainable.)[/QUOTE]

They probably are going the way of the Dodo. The FYE in the mall closed without fanfare, and the one downtown is most likely next.

It was nearly empty when I went to look for a movie on a weekday (when there's actually more people around vs. weekends) and they didn't seem to want me as a customer either.

The lazy cow couldn't be bothered to help check if it was in their inventory. A fly-by glance in the section where I already looked doesn't count. Hello!?

She ended up wandering all over the store to act busy. Luckily there was one dude who did make some sort of effort and got it for me. Of course the goodwill ended when I was machine-gunned with every offer in the book when I just wanted to pay and leave.

Sorry for the OT rant, but aside from a crazy bargain that pops up once in a long while, the reg. prices and lack of service are death knells.

I don't hope they die, but as you say, their business practices aren't sustainable.

[quote name='rodieremix']I'd really like to hear this :)[/QUOTE]

I went in on a Sunday to trade in a movie and they said that they couldn't take tradeins at the moment because the Akron Police Department wouldn't let them at that time.

I also had a game to trade in to GS at the time so I went down there and traded it in. I told them about what the guys at FYE said and they said that those guys were full of crap.

I went back to FYE with my movie after I was done at GS and I told them that I wanted to trade it in now, and that they lied to me about the Akron PD not letting them take in trades then.

I was adamant, but didn't raise my voice or anything like that. The one employee finally agreed to take my trade. (probably just to get rid of me)

While he was processing it, the other guy, Mike, walked by and looked at me and said "Prick."

That's the story.

FYE needs to shut down. The only employees they have in the 6 cities I have been to one are buttlickers. Their trade-ins are worse than gamestop's and they still have some games at original MSRP even though they are several years old and you can find them for half that at gamestop. The only time they really ever got worthwhile business in my town was back in 2003 when the store was larger and controlled an entrance to the outside of the mall. The only thing I have ever bought from them was the box set for Last Exile.

I checked out a FYE that had signs everywhere advertising that their games were on sale - only problem was that it was one of their stores that had no games!

[quote name='Rozz']I checked out a FYE that had signs everywhere advertising that their games were on sale - only problem was that it was one of their stores that had no games![/QUOTE]
Thats what I had when I went last night just to hang out with friends. Why would you put the sign up if you have no games?

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Just got back from the Sam Goody store I work at, and we're about to start preparing the store for a storewide sale. That's right- everything in the store is going to be on sale. This includes games, of course. Unfortunately, since I'm low on the totem pole, I only got to look at the sheet with information on it briefly. But I wrote down a few notable things for the sale as far as games go:
[/QUOTE]

Hey, got a little extra money in your pocket? Then here's what you should
do: invest in peas. Yes, peas, the vegetable of life. Contrary to popular belief,
millions of people eat peas, popular people. That's the secret to pea investment.

Well there you have it. Gather your money, and.......PEAS!

went to the FYE in Allentown, PA. I don't think they had games there, I didn't check I was more interested in the $9.99 or less for any CD that was not multiple disc or special edition.

They need to fucking stop selling music. My word their selection was fucking shit that is unless you listen to top 40 radio (which I don't) where they had a shitload of stuff.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']They need to fucking stop selling music. My word their selection was fucking shit that is unless you listen to top 40 radio (which I don't) where they had a shitload of stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well, most of their music stock is top 40, because let's face it, most people who are buying music in the mall are buying top 40. That being said, they've surprised me a few times. The other day I picked up the new CD by The Hotrats, a side project of Supergrass that was released on a tiny label in the US -- I had really figured that I'd have to order that one from Amazon, I didn't think even the local independent stores would bother to get it. And there it was sitting right there on the shelf at FYE -- three copies, even.

That being said, they're unfortunately too little, too late on the $9.99 CDs thing. Maybe if they'd done that years ago they wouldn't have lost all of their customers to Amazon, Best Buy, and iTunes. And if they stopped selling music, what would they sell? They're really over-priced on the movies and games.

I'm glad FYE is going out of business. Never seen so many clustering of employee asshats in my life. My FYE doesn't carry games, but I wouldn't give them my business even if they did. Good deal for those who can muster their crap or have a rare decent FYE around.

Stopped by the Oak Park Mall, Lenexa, KS location and all games are gone. I don't know if they had a clearance sale as I haven't been there in weeks, but not a single one left.

I hate to say it, but it seems like this is YMMV. When I asked my manager about it, she said that the other stores in the district were doing it, too, but not all the stores in the U.S. would be participating. I'm not sure exactly what that translates to as far as participation outside our district goes, but it's definitely YMMV. I'm really sorry for jumping the gun, everyone. If it makes you feel any better, the sale sucks on 75% of the items, anyway. We removed all the sale stickers at 6 A.M. Easter Sunday, and a good majority of the items are now more expensive. But wouldn't you know it- day one and we doubled our sales goal. It just goes to show how far a gimmick can go as far as clearing out items you don't want, or recent items for a more expensive price.

[quote name='kosmos13x']I'm glad FYE is going out of business. Never seen so many clustering of employee asshats in my life. My FYE doesn't carry games, but I wouldn't give them my business even if they did. Good deal for those who can muster their crap or have a rare decent FYE around.[/QUOTE]
While F.Y.E. was admittedly off the map for me until I started working there, I think that's a bit uncalled for. Besides, F.Y.E. isn't going out of business just yet- though they have been closing a lot of stores recently.

I wouldn't expect FYE to last around that many more years. Let's face it, you can't truly make a business selling CD's anymore like you could a decade ago. They couldn't get the other aspects of their business right either (such as the games section), and, for some reason, it seems like FYE's employees are always the worst of any retail stores. People often complain about Gamestop clerks, but FYE employees are often so bad that they put them to shame.

[quote name='Rozz']it seems like FYE's employees are always the worst of any retail stores. People often complain about Gamestop clerks, but FYE employees are often so bad that they put them to shame.[/QUOTE]
I'm right here. ;_; I mean... I've never been to an F.Y.E. outside the one in my town, since there isn't another one within a good driving distance, so I don't know what others are like. But all the employees at our store are more than friendly to customers, even when they're being ridiculous.

I do have a major issue with how F.Y.E. makes their employees run their stores, though. We have to be so damn pushy all the time. When you walk in, it's mandatory that I ask you what you're looking for- not "can I help you find anything?" If you're looking for something we don't have, I have to go into a big spill about how our special ordering works. I mean, yeah, up to this point it's all about customer satisfaction, and if that were it, I would be fine with it. But once people get to checkout- after they're so satisfied with their visit and they're so ready to leave- we have to throw a million prompts hardly anyone wants at them. And then what happens? They never come back. Hey corporate, do you think a 99 cent disk repair kit is worth a valued customer?

Any FYE that still sells games is having this sale. It's because they decided as a company to stop selling video games and focus on cds and movies. If this company was run by smarter people - like maybe a couple of executives with down-syndrome or something - they probably would be alright. Video games are the only thing that should be selling well, but because they over-price them nobody buys them. They assume that poor sales of video games translate to a lack of interest, so by their logic they should stop selling games and focus on products that nobody will buy in a few years, like cds and dvds. Actually for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would buy a cd even now.

Went to Sam Goody at Horton Plaza (San Diego) today, there was signage for 50% off all new PS2 games but no discounts on Wii/PS3/360 except $5 off a new game w/ purchase of accessory...

bread's done
Back