Fable II Platinum Hits (w/ DLC) - $27.99, Limited Edition $25.60 @ Amazon

BingoBrown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Update:
Limited Edition is $25.60
Platinum Hits (w/DLC) $27.99

More of a warm deal than a hot deal, I just recently learned about the release of Fable II Plantium Hits on January 6th. The cheapest I can find for it is at Amazon, for $27.99 with FSSS.

The Platinum Hits version includes the "See the Future" and "Knothole Island" DLC expansion packs, which cost a total of 1360 pts on Xbox Live. Better yet, for those of you with limited hard drive space available, this DLC is included on the Platinum Hits disc itself, so you won't need to download the content from Xbox Live with a token.

Here's a review of the Platinum Hits version on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1060444p1.html

Overall, $28 isn't a great price, considering it retails for only $30, but this is one of the best games for the 360, and the bonus DLC content really makes this Platinum Hits version shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='destro4eva']Spend the extra dough and get Fallout 3 GOTY. You'll be a happy gamer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blumpkin']For only $2 more you can get the Game of the Year Edition of Fable II at Walmart.com. Just a little FYI.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12535024[/QUOTE]

Stop! Look closely, Walmart lies. Americans use the ESRB for all retail console games. They use the letter system. PEGI is European. They use a number system. Tell me, what do you see at the bottom left corner. Oh here's a dandy source to clear up the snafu.

http://community.lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_development/archive/2009/12/14/3422136.aspx

I just went to my local Best Buy and they didn't have any Platinum Hits versions -- although the website said they had them in stock. So it looks like for now they don't differentiate between the two. I might just order it online and if the regular version is shipped, I'll bring it back to the store and swap it for the platinum one when they finally get it.

It said online (BB) that they had it available at my local store, and I had a $15 rewards zone coupon, so I ordered it for in-store pickup. I then got an e-mail saying they no longer had it in stock, but they gave me a number to call to have it shipped to my house for free, which I did.

We'll see what happens.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I just went to my local Best Buy and they didn't have any Platinum Hits versions -- although the website said they had them in stock. So it looks like for now they don't differentiate between the two. I might just order it online and if the regular version is shipped, I'll bring it back to the store and swap it for the platinum one when they finally get it.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me just now. They had a ton of regular version in stock, but no Platinum Hits, although the website said they had the Platinum Hits in stock.

Saved data from the original release of the game should be compatible with the Platinum hits version of the game correct? My brother got the original release of the game as a gift back when it first came out and barely played it. It would probably make more sense to just trade in the original version now and get the Platinum Hits version so as to get the downloadable content.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Saved data from the original release of the game should be compatible with the Platinum hits version of the game correct? My brother got the original release of the game as a gift back when it first came out and barely played it. It would probably make more sense to just trade in the original version now and get the Platinum Hits version so as to get the downloadable content.[/QUOTE]

That's what I did with Fable II, as it was part of Gamestop's $20 trade in promo that ended last week.

Now I'm just waiting for a local GS to get them in stock.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Saved data from the original release of the game should be compatible with the Platinum hits version of the game correct? My brother got the original release of the game as a gift back when it first came out and barely played it. It would probably make more sense to just trade in the original version now and get the Platinum Hits version so as to get the downloadable content.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I just read IGN's review and this is specifically mentioned. Game saves are compatible.

So do you think there is a good chance of getting the actual platinum edition from best buy or just the regular? I don't have access to a printer so I don't really wanna waste my time by purchasing online

[quote name='Virsago']Game of the year version doesn't have the DLC, the platinum version does.
And the cover seems to be the european cover.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blumpkin']For only $2 more you can get the Game of the Year Edition of Fable II at Walmart.com. Just a little FYI.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12535024[/QUOTE]

Folks, for the last time, there is no Fable II GotY Ed. in the States. There is only the Platinum Hits version (which happens to include the DLC). What you're seeing is simply an instance of Walmart using the wrong boxart, which they lifted from the GotY Ed. released in Europe last year.

Carry on.

I just know that the BB's that list the PH version in stock are the exact same stores that had the standard Fable 2 in stock before they updated it to PH on the website, so I would be cautious about doing an in-store pickup unless you feeling like arguing and getting some sort of rain check.

Believe me, most BB employees won't know the difference between the two and will not understand when you try to point it out to them. I had trouble with a guy who thought my God of War Preorder was the actuall GoW 3 game and that the God of War Collection was also GOW 3 ... and that I was buying the same game twice, so ... be aware

Yep, just checked my BB today and even though the website shows the PH version in stock in store. All they had was the regular version.

Best Buy does give you 8 days to pick up your order. One can always order now, and hope that within that time, the stores will carry the platinum version and be able to swap it for you, they're usually really good at honoring their own mistakes (except for big ticket items). Worse case scenario, your order is cancelled.

[quote name='etcrane']$19.99 at Best Buy on their website ... print it out and then see if you can price match in store (assuming they've received actual Platinum Hits copies). So it looks like Best Buy will be carrying this version ... but I would print this out now, as I'm sure once they realize they're selling the PH version for $10 less, they'll correct it.

I'm tempted to order in store, but I know I'll end up with the non PH version if I do and then have to cause a big stink about it.

Link- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fable+I...439.p?id=1142299958611&skuId=7849439&st=fable[/QUOTE]
Hmm, looks like I'll be arguing with Best Buy for the game then. :D

Going to head on out to a BB tomorrow to see if its really there (inventory says its there). I'll post back if anything is found.

[quote name='Tybee']Folks, for the last time, there is no Fable II GotY Ed. in the States. There is only the Platinum Hits version (which happens to include the DLC). What you're seeing is simply an instance of Walmart using the wrong boxart, which they lifted from the GotY Ed. released in Europe last year.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. You would think that this is pretty clear, considering no one else in the States is selling this GOTY version, and there was no word at all that such a thing was being released here.

[quote name='BingoBrown']More of a warm deal than a hot deal, I just recently learned about the release of Fable II Plantium Hits on January 6th. The cheapest I can find for it is at Amazon, for $27.99 with FSSS.

http://www.amazon.com/Fable-2-Plati..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263394876&sr=1-3

The Platinum Hits version includes the "See the Future" and "Knothole Island" DLC expansion packs, which cost a total of 1360 pts on Xbox Live. Better yet, for those of you with limited hard drive space available, this DLC is included on the Platinum Hits disc itself, so you won't need to download the content from Xbox Live with a token.

Here's a review of the Platinum Hits version on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1060444p1.html

Overall, $28 isn't a great price, considering it retails for only $30, but this is one of the best games for the 360, and the bonus DLC content really makes this Platinum Hits version shine.[/QUOTE]

Gosh darn it-that's awesome, but once again I'm screwed over for buying the game at launch :roll:

I bought Fable 2 and Fallout 3 for Xbox/PC at launch, and now BOTH are available in cheaper, better versions, while both my copies are still in my backlog. :cold:

I enjoyed Fable 2 immensely, just as I did the first...every now and then, you just need a more relaxed RPG, something not as demanding as say Oblivion or Fallout 3, both which I keep trying to get into but just can't for very long. :whistle2:|

I'd get this eventually if I hadn't already gotten Fable 2 used for around $16 and both the DLC as Gold member DOTW. Would've been nice having it all on one disk but oh well...no biggie. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
*sigh* what's stupid is this has me wondering if I should just sell my current copy and buy the new one :whistle2:/

Honestly...probably.

[quote name='Wolfpup']*sigh* what's stupid is this has me wondering if I should just sell my current copy and buy the new one :whistle2:/

Honestly...probably.[/QUOTE]

I am the same way brother.

Its like the game looks at you and laughs saying - "I am the version that is missing things"

Can't stand it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Gosh darn it-that's awesome, but once again I'm screwed over for buying the game at launch :roll:

I bought Fable 2 and Fallout 3 for Xbox/PC at launch, and now BOTH are available in cheaper, better versions, while both my copies are still in my backlog. :cold:[/QUOTE]

Wait, wait, wait. You bought both games the minute they came out and never touched them?

[quote name='ProggleRock']Wait, wait, wait. You bought both games the minute they came out and never touched them?[/QUOTE]

Yep! :lol: They're both in The Backlog...OF DOOM™.
Which now stands at over 100 games.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Gosh darn it-that's awesome, but once again I'm screwed over for buying the game at launch :roll:

I bought Fable 2 and Fallout 3 for Xbox/PC at launch, and now BOTH are available in cheaper, better versions, while both my copies are still in my backlog. :cold:[/QUOTE]

That's why I never buy games at launch unless I know I will be playing them that night. I'm used to waiting for the "GOTY" version of a game since PC games have been doing that forever. I don't expect console games to stop doing this.

Yeah, I guess that's what I have to start doing. I hate not supporting Bioware's stuff and the like, but they're doing it to themselves :(

[quote name='sadunk']Just wish it included the halo armor and energy weapon. Can't find those anymore.[/QUOTE]

Legendary Edition for 25.60 at Amazon

BTW, bot Knothole Island and See the Future are online free, but there are also premium versions. Any differences besides the ability to play co-op?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yep! :lol: They're both in The Backlog...OF DOOM™.
Which now stands at over 100 games.[/QUOTE]

If you have that many games why spend the money on anything full price unless you plan on getting to it right away like a Mass Effect 2 or something that you have to play.

Obviously thats not the case for you.

Needless to say that from now on I will not be buying the DLC right away with GTA (Disk Episodes), Fallout, Mass Effect, and now this all having it cheaper then picking it up through XBL

So I hear that GOTY Edition doesn't have the DLC and the Platinum Hits version does. That makes no sense to me, but is it true?

[quote name='Blumpkin']So I hear that GOTY Edition doesn't have the DLC and the Platinum Hits version does. That makes no sense to me, but is it true?[/QUOTE]

You can go to the end of the line for asking that.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yep! :lol: They're both in The Backlog...OF DOOM™.
Which now stands at over 100 games.[/QUOTE]

I think you're in the wrong forum, sir. ;)

wow, just ordered the limited edition! thanks for updating the title OP! I never see complete used copies at GS.. for this price, I got it!

just an FYI

LE of Fable 2 sux ass, dun buy it....I bought the LE version back when it came out, and it was the most regrettable LE I ve bought for years

Yeah, the LE isn't actually worth as much as the Platinum Hits version ... you get better content in the PH copy and if you buy the LE, sure you'll get the MC suit, but you'll have to pay another $20 for the DLC

Whoa, how did the Halo Wars LE get dragged into this? The Halo Wars LE was way better than this. It gave you very early access to the Mythic Map Pack. People were falling all over themselves to bid a shit load of money for those on eBay. You could basically have sold that and gotten the LE for cheaper than the standard game, and then you still got the Steelbook and the little trinkets.

[quote name='nnthomas']Doesnt sealed LEs go for bookoo on ebay? Even the DLC codes go for a bit, unless thats changed -very- recently.[/QUOTE]

Kinda doubt it when it's selling for as low as it is on Amazon. If anything, in my experience, Amazon usually garners higher sales than eBay does unless it's some ultra rare product that you can't find sellers for on Amazon. The only advantage that eBay has over Amazon is if the item is hot and highly in demand, to the point where a bidding war might occur. Given that Amazon can sell these for $25, I wouldn't load up ... not to mention that this LE is a terrible LE. I'm not sure if you all recall how Microsoft neutered it shortly before it's release, ditching the hobbe figure and the tarot cards and the LE case ... and uh yeah, pretty much everything.

Bottom line ... if you guys are intelligent at all ... please, for the love of god, buy the platinum hits version over the LE.

Best Buy is selling the PH version for $20. Anyway I just ordered the LE, because... it's so limited that they can find shitloads of them laying around long after release. :p At least I didn't pay $70 for it, right?

If I remember correctly, didn't a lot of copies of the Limited Edition have missing DLC codes to the point that Microsoft had to give them away as a replacement for a limited time? If so, then don't you now run the risk of getting a LE without a code inside that Microsoft will no longer replace?

you guys are crazy! A copy of Bioshock LE is going for $500 sealed on Ebay. I paid retail at launch and now regretted I even opened it, as I only played the game for about 3 hours then got utterly confused and dizzy. But not that I'd ever sell it of course... :D

Point is, when these LEs drop to really low prices, especially >$30 is great! It almost warrants a re-buy to keep sealed. Look at the $25 GTAIV CE at MicroCenter..that is a phenomenal deal!! I already have Fable 2 for $15 from Target and haven't played it, the fact that I have that version ensures this LE will stay sealed. It may not be worth much now, but 10 years down the road, we'll see..

edit: and I also wanted to make a point that whatever DLC an LE comes with shouldn't effect your buying decision. I believe on a long enough time line most DLC is always made available to everyone, given free, or put on sale..

[quote name='SlaughterX']Best Buy is selling the PH version for $20. Anyway I just ordered the LE, because... it's so limited that they can find shitloads of them laying around long after release. :p At least I didn't pay $70 for it, right?[/QUOTE]

oh nice. i have a $10 BB gift card that i've been holding on to, so this will work great for me.

bread's done
Back