Fake or not? eBay memory stick pro duo

never really can tell with fleabay... at least it's not the generic stock photo and the seller is based in the usa. you try msging the guy about it? sometimes, they fess up. he may have gotten them during one of the many sales they had on these sticks during the holidays...

I bought a 2 gb sandisk mem stick during black friday @ circuit city and it looked exactly like that packaging too...so far its works fine for me....and it was only $20 :D

It's probably real. I bought my first 4 GB Ultra II from eBay, and it ended up being legit. It's best to buy a sealed one and look for people who post actual pictures of the product because most fake sellers won't go through all the trouble of trying to make the packaging look authentic. Also, you should avoid purchasing from sellers outside of the US.

I purchased one just like this about 3 months ago. The picture showed a sealed box and everything, the problem was the back of the box was open and the memory card was obviously switched. It looked nearly 100% like an official Sony card but every time I put it into a computer or my PSP it froze the system. I eventually got my money back but it was a big pain.

Popular photography did an entire article about memory cards on eBay. About 1/2 were fake and most were really good fakes at that.

A few had lied about capacity but the biggest faked features were read/write speed and manufacturer.

Compact flash, camera batteries and sony's proprietary memory stick are some of the most requently faked.

Seals and holograms aren't even enough to prevent black market fakes either.

There is virtually no way to tell unless it is in your hand. Even some warehouse superstores bought faked memory media to resell in this article because they buy from indirect resellers to cut cost on name brand items.

There are some nice pics of a melted canon battery charger from a ruptured LiIon cell.

Your best bet: Don't buy any of this stuff on eBay.

if the seller has a TON of feedback and the vast majority of it is positive you are probably ok...check the feedback for the same types of things you are wanting to buy from the seller and make sure that all was in proper order when those people got their stuff....as long as you are careful you should be fine, but saying not to buy this type of thing all together on ebay is absurd....i got my 2Gb SD card from ebay a few months back for a good price and it works perfectly

Scanned through his/her feedback and this seller sells mostly random items (clothes, personal stuff . . etc.)

My money is on this person selling something they found a deal on in a retail store.

I would be much more wary if this person sold tons of memory cards, cheap cell phone stuff and electronics (since they would likely be an importer and thus more likely to be dealing in fakes).

This is probably pretty safe. When you get it just check the capacity and time a large fixed file size transfer over a high speed card reader- since speed is the most faked thing with memory cards.

Thanks for all the input, I went ahead and bought one from him (mostly going off the fact that there was a picture and from his feedback he sells pretty random stuff).

Hopefully everything goes well, but either way, thanks again for all the input.

bread's done
Back