Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

This is by far the game of the year for me. I own all three systems and bought all the big titles. Metal Gear 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, Fable 2, Gears Of War 2, ect... And this game easily beats any of them. The only thing that disappointed me was the ending. There are very few and not what was promised. I was hoping for more, seeing as the story really hooked me.

This game is so huge. I spent hours just looking around and searching for anything and everything. Never felt as involved in a game as this one. Very fun.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hell yeah. That's the best part about this game. There really aren't any artificial barriers, like "Oh, you're not ready for that, yet." I've covered a good chunk of the map so far and have gone into whatever area I wanted to.[/quote]

Yep. One of the first places I stumbled upon right after I left Vault 101 was that Sunnyvale School (or whatever it is called). I tried to go in that place and got completely hammered by the Raiders there and had to quickly retreat to Megaton.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I started on normal, and it was too easy. Hard was somewhat challenging for awhile, but now I'm at level 20 and have a bunch of the unique weapons, so it's pretty easy again.[/quote]

Jeez, I'm playing on Normal and it is hard enough for me. It has been getting somewhat easier now that my weapons are a bit better, but I'm just at level 8.

I started a second save and focus mainly on Unarmed/Melee. Its more difficult than going ranged. I use a lot more HP items.

Man this game is exactly what they say. Overwhelming.

So many stats, so many skills, so many thing. Bye bye social life.

It's weird, I used to have an abundance of ammo for my hunting rifle, but now at level 18, I can't find any ammo for it out in the wild,and all the Mutants/Raiders carry C.A.Rs now.

[quote name='Ice Cold']I would like to take a moment and shut down the thread. BEHOLD!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/kdn22b.jpg

you do not want to see unboxing pictures.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/cheapy-1.jpg game is great but I am over whelmed by the options

the #1 main problem with this game MAIN problem is I have already invested 15 hours, and have NO idea if I am any closer to finishing the game or making any progress on my main quest.[/quote]

DAMN, cool figure did that only come with the LE version of the PC i am assuming??

[quote name='yukafls']DAMN, cool figure did that only come with the LE version of the PC i am assuming??[/quote]

Judging from the box, it's probably a Europe-only thing. I got the PC LE and it was the exact same as the console versions and we also don't use a number rating system like the UK does.

It's rated PEGI 18+. Which to me is making me fairly certain it's an import from the UK or he lives in there. Although it's too bright from the flash to really read the bottom left there.

Yeah theres a tiny Pip boy figure inside which is meant to be held by the Figureine because the figureine (supposedly you the main character if you can find this armor) is boosted by Huge permanent +5 or +8 points to certain stats depending on which Pip Boy figureine you find in the game. I think I might cheat and Google all PipBoy doll locations get all the + boost and then play the game. +5 to Speach and +5 Charisma I'll have people doing guests for me.

[quote name='Ice Cold']I would like to take a moment and shut down the thread. BEHOLD!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/kdn22b.jpg

you do not want to see unboxing pictures.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/cheapy-1.jpg game is great but I am over whelmed by the options

the #1 main problem with this game MAIN problem is I have already invested 15 hours, and have NO idea if I am any closer to finishing the game or making any progress on my main quest.[/quote]

I'm around 23 hours in and I KNOW I am not even scratching the surface of the main quest. I just completed a side mission last night that I found by searching a dead guy in one of the Metro tunnels. It's this kind of stuff that is going to make this a 60+ hour game for me.

I have restarted this game so many times but its worth it.

restarted and found 3 Frag Grenades about 20 feet from the Vault door in a Mail box.

And had my Speach and Charisma on High, and Told the blond Lady named Silver in her house to pay me and I would tell Moiriarty she was dead.

it was a 41% chance of Success and It worked she Paid me 400 caps!!!.

Alright...I am sorry but dogmeat sucks ass.

I knew from the look of him I wouldnt like him at all. He is constantly lost behind me somewhere, I have to go back for him or he dies in some unknown part of the map.

Now as I am trying to escape RobCo with my life he cant figure out that this is one of those times you should run and not fight. Something told me not to bring him.

R.I.P Dogmeat....you were kinda annoying but at least you took bullets to the face like a champ.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Alright...I am sorry but dogmeat sucks ass.

I knew from the look of him I wouldnt like him at all. He is constantly lost behind me somewhere, I have to go back for him or he dies in some unknown part of the map.

Now as I am trying to escape RobCo with my life he cant figure out that this is one of those times you should run and not fight. Something told me not to bring him.

R.I.P Dogmeat....you were kinda annoying but at least you took bullets to the face like a champ.[/quote]

LOL. He's currently chilling in my house in Megaton. I do like to take him on trips to the west where it seems like there are more critters than bad guys (at least in my experiences so far) but I agree overall he is more of an annoyance than a help.

Alright, I'm breaking my rules by coming back in here but can someone tell me in a relatively spoiler-free fashion how to get Dogmeat? I'm pretty far into the game and I'd like to experience at least some of it in a group/pair.

Dogmeat can be found in the scrapyard. It is located northeast of the Vault 101 area, across the river. It is very large and hard to miss. Dogmeat is pretty much in the middle of the place. You won't miss him.

Its not even a spoiler man. You just go to the scrapyard and walk right up to him.

No quest, no story, no nothing he is just chilling by himself after killing 5 bandits.

The one good thing about Dogmeat is that he doesn't actually count as a companion. So, you can pick up another one. Personally, I think they are more trouble than they worth. After making Dogmeat stay at my apartment, I picked up one of the human companions, and they really aren't much better. I prefer going alone.

I am starting to think I should have put some points into science and hacking. There are computers all over the god damn place and I kinda want to know whats on them.

I have sneak, lock pick, pick pocket which I am happy with because I am sitting on a god damn arsenal of items but I really want to know whats on some of these computers

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am starting to think I should have put some points into science and hacking. There are computers all over the god damn place and I kinda want to know whats on them.

I have sneak, lock pick, pick pocket which I am happy with because I am sitting on a god damn arsenal of items but I really want to know whats on some of these computers[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean. My hacking is around 50 and you do get a lot of interesting story stuff from it, if that's your thing. It is my thing.

The only thing that is somewhat annoying is the level cap being at 20. I got there really quick, with a lot sidequests and a good chunk of the main quest left, so now every encounter sort of feels like a complete waste of my time. I want to move on with the story.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']LOL. He's currently chilling in my house in Megaton. I do like to take him on trips to the west where it seems like there are more critters than bad guys (at least in my experiences so far) but I agree overall he is more of an annoyance than a help.[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing. Dogmeat is purely a house dog. If a future expansion has a leash, well then he'll be getting more use.

Can someone give me a tip? Im not that far into the game
On my way to the wash monument
and i'm suuuuper low on ammo (but have tons of caps and junk to sell). Where is the best place to buy some ammo? The girl at megaton, her selection sucks plus she has like 12 shot gun shells. that just wont do it

I finally just started this game tonight.

Lord, this thing looks huge. I wish everything wasn't so damn dark though.

[quote name='JJSP']I finally just started this game tonight.

Lord, this thing looks huge. I wish everything wasn't so damn dark though.[/quote]
Kick up the Brightness in the game options. That's what I did.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The only thing that is somewhat annoying is the level cap being at 20. I got there really quick, with a lot sidequests and a good chunk of the main quest left, so now every encounter sort of feels like a complete waste of my time. I want to move on with the story.[/quote]

What? So what happens when you hit 20? You dont level up anymore and all the XP is wasted?

Thats a bummer.

So I'm at level 14, and I really want to do the main quest, but I know that it's near the end of the game, and once I do that, then I can't play it anymore. I still have a few more side-quests to do, but they take so long, damn! I love the nifty trick someone shared where you can get the evil, neutral, and good karma achievement really quick by just doing a hard save before, then go on a killing rampage, etc.. and level up.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Holding in B turns on your flashlight, if that helps.[/QUOTE]
Nah, I figured that out. I'm just going to toy with the brightness options and go from there. It's not bad, it's just that since the color palette is mostly browns and grays, it makes everything seem pitch black at night. Good for dramatic effect, bad for actually trying to find your way around.

I can't be the only one who was really tempted to bash the Overseer's head in at the beginning.

Finished the main story way too quickly. Pretty weak ending. My advice is do as many side quests as possible before advancing the main quest. I really wanted to get that dog companion they always show in the trailers but never did. 8.5/10

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am starting to think I should have put some points into science and hacking. There are computers all over the god damn place and I kinda want to know whats on them.

I have sneak, lock pick, pick pocket which I am happy with because I am sitting on a god damn arsenal of items but I really want to know whats on some of these computers[/quote]
There are way more locks than computer terminals in the game. For the most part, you'll usually see either a lock or a computer terminal in the same area, and using either method will grant you access to the next area. However, most locks and computer terminals which usually require a higher level of skill (75-100) do not fall into the same category as the ones stated before.

[quote name='tivo']Finished the main story way too quickly. Pretty weak ending. My advice is do as many side quests as possible before advancing the main quest. I really wanted to get that dog companion they always show in the trailers but never did. 8.5/10[/quote]

Seriously....what is so hard about getting dogmeat? I am extremely surprised at the about of people who are confused at how to get him. He literally is just sitting in one spot not moving and waiting for you to come get him at the Northeast corner of the scrapyard.

[quote name='Ma12kez']There are way more locks than computer terminals in the game. For the most part, you'll usually see either a lock or a computer terminal in the same area, and using either method will grant you access to the next area. However, most locks and computer terminals which usually require a higher level of skill (75-100) do not fall into the same category as the ones stated before.[/quote]

Yeah, I know that. I think its a safe bet that you benefit way more by breaking into places than you ever could with the terminal stuff. Its just that every time I see one that I cant access I wonder whats on it.

It's not that it's hard to find dogmeat, it's just that some people didn't find him.

I didn't find him until after I beat the game, and it's not like I didn't do any exploring. I had almost 100 locations found by the time I found him.

So the only thing I am not liking about this game is the amount of times I find myself having to go through a metro subway to get places. Yes it makes sense but I would rather not spend 10 hours running through a subway.

I try to avoid it as best I can, I would rather spend the extra time finding a way that isnt underground to get to my location. But some of these location seem to be impossible to get to unless you take a metro.

Can someone who has beat the game tell me if its possible to get to all locations without going through a metro?

[quote name='Soodmeg']So the only thing I am not liking about this game is the amount of times I find myself having to go through a metro subway to get places. Yes it makes sense but I would rather not spend 10 hours running through a subway.

I try to avoid it as best I can, I would rather spend the extra time finding a way that isnt underground to get to my location. But some of these location seem to be impossible to get to unless you take a metro.

Can someone who has beat the game tell me if its possible to get to all locations without going through a metro?[/QUOTE]

Its not possible. Its impossible to get to GNR building without taking the subway.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I do the same thing. Dogmeat is purely a house dog. If a future expansion has a leash, well then he'll be getting more use.[/QUOTE]

I tried to do the same thing, but Dogmeat vanished out of my house. I know he goes to Vault 101, but shouldn't he just stay there if you tell him to like your party members would?

[quote name='Soodmeg']So the only thing I am not liking about this game is the amount of times I find myself having to go through a metro subway to get places. Yes it makes sense but I would rather not spend 10 hours running through a subway.

Can someone who has beat the game tell me if its possible to get to all locations without going through a metro?[/quote]

I think certain places in downtown DC (like Riley's Rangers HQ, Museum of tech) can only be reached through the subway but places on the outskirts like the library or Rivet city can be reached by taking the long way around. But I never really tried to reach places that seemed reachable only through the subway another way, so I could be wrong.

Thanks to all that answered. I really dont like having to run through subways all day. Thats a slight cop out.

Alright, I am having a problem here.

I seem to be getting a lot of half quest. And by that I will tell you this for example.

I was in Rivet City talking to Banon, he mentioned that he doesnt like Homles and wants me to find something in his room. I was in the middle of 2 quest at the moment so I figured I would come back to it later.

The only problem is that I have no indacation that this ever happened other than my own personal memory of it. No notes, No quest, no nothing.

Is it suppose to be like that? Am I suppose to just remember and do it without a marker or something? This is a fairly big game I doubt that they would want you to just remember video game coversations.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']I think certain places in downtown DC (like Riley's Rangers HQ, Museum of tech) can only be reached through the subway but places on the outskirts like the library or Rivet city can be reached by taking the long way around. But I never really tried to reach places that seemed reachable only through the subway another way, so I could be wrong.[/quote]

Indeed. Most of the stuff in the heart of the city is only accessible through the tunnels, but plenty of the outskirts can be reached either way. I know that I didn't even realize there was a station near Rivet City, until I needed it to reach another place.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Alright, I am having a problem here.

I seem to be getting a lot of half quest. And by that I will tell you this for example.

I was in Rivet City talking to Banon, he mentioned that he doesnt like Homles and wants me to find something in his room. I was in the middle of 2 quest at the moment so I figured I would come back to it later.

The only problem is that I have no indacation that this ever happened other than my own personal memory of it. No notes, No quest, no nothing.

Is it suppose to be like that? Am I suppose to just remember and do it without a marker or something? This is a fairly big game I doubt that they would want you to just remember video game coversations.[/quote]

Quests like that are quick, so they don't give you a quest listing for it. There should be a note, though. It is a very quick one, so I suppose the develops expect you to do it right then there. All you do is go to Seawell's apartment, get evidence against him, present it to a particular security officer, and then you collect your reward.

I have another questions. About building weapons and such. Someone said they put a laser sight on their shotgun? How do I go about customizing my weapons?

I havent come across an option to do it.

EDIT: Never mind I misunderstood. Custom weapons = blueprints.

I thought you could just start tacking on things to any weapons.

Well now in addition to the dying NPC glitch, I've just run into another one - and this one could screw me out of even more quests.

I'm doing the Mirelurk Egg quest for Moira and I can get in and out of there without killing a single Mirelurk. The problem is that when I exit the Anchorage Memorial the game completely locks up on a black screen and I have to restart the 360. I can load a previous save without an issue, but when I went back to try it again, the same exact thing happened.

I've read that there is an alternate entrance into the Anchorage Memorial near the Tepid Sewers so I am going to try that next, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to be super pissed.

This is a great game, but damn if there aren't a lot of bugs.

bread's done
Back