Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

[quote name='Matt Young']So I "splurged" and dropped $20 on the paperback guide. I am only 8 hours into the game, but I doubt I'll have time for a second playthrough due to now owning 65 games for my 360 with more on the way. The plan was to play tonight, but I feel compelled to read the parts about the stuff I already did, so tomorrow will be Fallout time.[/QUOTE]
I think that Fallout 3 wiki is way better than any paper guide.

A good strategy for trying to do and see most of the game in one play through is if you basically get up to the point of being able to wear power armor, then go finish up all the optional quests before returning to the main story, along with a bit of random exploring, and you should make it to level 20 and hit most of the "do this x number of times" achievements pretty easily.

Just make sure you do GNR as early as possible, before you get too far into the Survival Guide (optional) or it'll cause you to jump part of the story.

[quote name='yukine']Interesting, WSB. I did the Survival Guide before GNR, I'm going to do GNR now. How does it make you jump part of the story?[/quote]

If you go to Rivet City you meet Dr. ... Something, who tells you where your father is. So you don't have to ever go to GNR. If you meet her first though you can still go to GNR and do the same mission, they just won't be mandatory, and Three Dog gives you a reward instead of info.

[quote name='method47']If you go to Rivet City you meet Dr. ... Something, who tells you where your father is. So you don't have to ever go to GNR. If you meet her first though you can still go to GNR and do the same mission, they just won't be mandatory, and Three Dog gives you a reward instead of info.[/quote]

That is kind of how I did it in my game, except that I was running both quests at the same time (started the GNR one first). I met the Dr. at Rivet and got the info and then hours later I finally finished the GNR quest for Three Dog.

I can't remember what Three Dog even gave me, but I thought it was cool that he acknowledged that I could have just blown him off since I got the info elsewhere, but that he was grateful I still completed the quest for him.

[quote name='paddlefoot']The only negative will be having to play in third person[/quote]
Why is that?

You get to see your outfit plenty when you go into VATS.

[quote name='method47']If you go to Rivet City you meet Dr. ... Something, who tells you where your father is. So you don't have to ever go to GNR. If you meet her first though you can still go to GNR and do the same mission, they just won't be mandatory, and Three Dog gives you a reward instead of info.[/quote]

Ah, gotcha. Yeah the mission is already complete, but I'm going to go ahead and do GNR before I head to Rivet.

It'sMagneto;5328977]I wanted to make a new character after I finish my good playthrough but I have a few questions. Can you store stuff anywhere and have it remain there? until you get a house? [spoiler]I'm going to blow up megaton most likely. Will I need it for anything other than the bobblehead in simm's house said:
link

I still need a house, I just havent decided if I want to blow up megaton or not. Also I want to finish that wasteland book first.

[quote name='Malik112099']When the level cap gets raised to 30 in March I wonder if all the xp I am not getting right now will be applied to the new levels.[/QUOTE]Is this confirmed? Because if that's the case, I'm going to be wondering the same thing since I'm doing so much stuff after I maxed out a while ago.

Whoa they are raising the level cap? NICE! Hopefully they get rid of the Infinte Exp glitches eventually, but right now I'm enjoying it myself, lol.

This is basically my third beginning run and my god I've advanced way farther in 3 hours then I have on my other character which is at like 9.

Yeah, that's always a good benefit over the consoles. bethesda has a great following of mod'ers who will always make the game have an almost unlimited amount of playability.

I bought this game for myself, my cousin, and our friend using the Buy 2 Fallout 3 CEs, Get 1 Free from TRU.com, but hadn't played it until this past week due to having Finals and then the holidays. This game is awesome! It's my 2008 GOTY! I should've played it upon release, but I'm glad I'm playing it now since I can really enjoy it. Never really got into Oblivion, but I did get the GOTY edition for cheap recently, but playing Fallout makes me think I won't go back. Can't wait for the Alaska DLC!

Just played through long enough to get Fawkes as a buddy. Warped to Little Lamplight, and he decided to blow up the bus that sits outside. For no apparent reason. Huge explosion.

Does he do this regularly?

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']Just played through long enough to get Fawkes as a buddy. Warped to Little Lamplight, and he decided to blow up the bus that sits outside. For no apparent reason. Huge explosion.

Does he do this regularly?[/QUOTE]

He probably spotted a threat somewhere near the bus. He's great to have around.

Although I haven't gotten Fawkes yet...
isn't it technically a 'she' since that was its original gender before the Super Mutant transformation?

That's what I've been hearing anyway. Either way they're supposedly the best partner in the game so I'm looking forward to pushing through with the story so I can get it and beat it before the DLC comes out.

LOL @ the MGS Grey Fox esque armor. Nice.

Hmmm. At first I loved this game a bunch. Once I hit level 20 I honestly don't feel like playing the game anymore. I tried to play a bit a couple of days ago but its just not doing it for me anymore. :(

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Although I haven't gotten Fawkes yet...
isn't it technically a 'she' since that was its original gender before the Super Mutant transformation?

That's what I've been hearing anyway. Either way they're supposedly the best partner in the game so I'm looking forward to pushing through with the story so I can get it and beat it before the DLC comes out.

LOL @ the MGS Grey Fox esque armor. Nice.[/quote]

Yes, I believe it was mentioned somewhere, well, in some interview XD But a search on fallout wiki say yes.

Okay, so I had a really weird occurrence today. I was wandering the wastes with Charon and I decided to stop by the brotherhood base. I fast travel there and Mr. Crowley was randomly in the middle training area. Before I can figure out what the hell he was doing there Charon pulled out his gun and they start going at it, and Charon kills Mr. Crowley.

I already completed the Shoot em in the head quest, but why the hell would he be there?

[quote name='tokitoki50']Okay, so I had a really weird occurrence today. I was wandering the wastes with Charon and I decided to stop by the brotherhood base. I fast travel there and Mr. Crowley was randomly in the middle training area. Before I can figure out what the hell he was doing there Charon pulled out his gun and they start going at it, and Charon kills Mr. Crowley.

I already completed the Shoot em in the head quest, but why the hell would he be there?[/quote]

Semi spoiler regardng the true intentions of Mr. Crowley.

I believe Mr. Crowley turns hostile if you find him in the wasteland while he is acquiring the armor. Since you've completed the quest already, he was probably on his way to the Fort where the armor is stored. (The keys you gave him opens the door to the armor) Depending on how you did the quest, you could have discovered that he wanted you to aquire keys for him, or just play along with his "eliminate the haters" story. Eventually though, he'll return to the underworld wearing the armor. You just caught him at a bad time.

Oh, well...
I went and unlocked the doors before I gave Mr. Crowley the keys, then I went back after giving him the keys and took the armor.

Just beat it! great game and I didn't really mind the ending at all. It's the journey, not the destination that contains all the important stuff.

Installing Gears 2 now...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tokitoki50']Oh, well...
I went and unlocked the doors before I gave Mr. Crowley the keys, then I went back after giving him the keys and took the armor.
[/quote]

Haha, well, I didnt do that, I just kidna took it from him after he got it and brought it to me. I would think that he would still take the initiative to go there, so the fact that you found him in the wild was just a coincidence, with him being hostile since he was technically "on his way" to pick up the...thing. Ambiguous enough I hope to the non spoiler reader, hehe.

Pittsburgh is already a complete wasteland. Why do you think everyone waves those stupid towels, they're trying to blow away the pollution.

[quote name='Halo05']Pittsburgh is already a complete wasteland. Why do you think everyone waves those stupid towels, they're trying to blow away the pollution.[/quote]

From San Diego or Baltimore I'm guessing?

BTW the pollution from the steel factories has died off since they all closed over 25 years ago. The city is beautiful, and I'm sure Wombat could speak for that as well.

Regarding the order of doing GNR and then Rivet City, you actually get a big bonus if you do Rivet City first. 3 Dog will recognize that you didn't need his help and beg you to assist anyway. He sweetens a deal with a Weapons Stash Key for Hamilton's Hideaway that has a Mini Nuke and a GunsNAmmo book amongst other things.

I have done pretty much every quest I've found and even went through the trouble of clearing Fort Bannister for fun. My next quest is Little Lamplight and Vault 87 which I understand puts me pretty close to the end, so I'm trying to reach level 20. I'm 18.75 right now, and it seems I can take on a regiment of anything.

Looks like they may have finally fixed the EXP speech exploits which is why I'm glad I took advantage of them for a few levels in the past. It's not like you really need them anyway to level up easily.

The Ultra SMG glitch on the other hand... can anyone confirm whether or not it still works with the patch?

Pittsburgh actually isn't a complete wasteland. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere, either in the game or on the Fallout wiki, that it wasn't actually hit. The three rivers, though, are obviously contaminated.

I agree that does sound entertaining however very annoying, because you'd probably be stuck in VATS maybe, and therefore can't save at all, causing you to lose all your data. Or I could be making that up.

Anyway I'm about to go to this place to get to Valut 87, I'm just going to go through the main story then make another character and do everything again. Or I'll go and play Fallout 2 that I just recently got.

[quote name='DT778']Patch out today.

http://kotaku.com/5130241/fallout-3-bug-fix-update-hits-pc-ps3-and-xbox-360-today[/quote]

"Fixed issue where the haircut menu would occasionally not appear properly."

Yay! Though only used at the start of a game, I found it somewhat bothersome that I could not properly create my character.

"Friendly or neutral NPC health bars, when taking damage, no longer flicker repeatedly."

Oh really? I figured that was a part of the game's style. :whistle2:#

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...chorage---Achievements-and-Quests-Leaked.html

The first of three upcoming DLC packs for Fallout 3, titled "Operation: Anchorage," is set for release January 27th, but thanks to an update released for the game today, people with the PC version got a little sneak of what the achievements and quests found in the DLC are going to be.

As with most of the current achievements, there will be four new achievements for completing quests. There may be more than these four quests as there are multiple mini-quests found throughout the Wasteland, but these four can be confirmed:

Aiding the Outcasts (20)
The Guns of Anchorage (20)
Paving the Way (20)
Operation: Anchorage (40)
The four new achievements will add 100 extra gamerscore in total. For screenshots of the achievements in action, view this thread for the proof from forumgoer Anxion.

You have no clue how much I am freaked out by Vault 87.... Man this place is CREEPY! I jumped 10 times or so in this place, it's the environment and even with the pipboy light on it doesn't help a lot. It's quiet, and rusty and bloody everywhere. Reminds me of Silent Hill a little.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']You have no clue how much I am freaked out by Vault 87.... Man this place is CREEPY! I jumped 10 times or so in this place, it's the environment and even with the pipboy light on it doesn't help a lot. It's quiet, and rusty and bloody everywhere. Reminds me of Silent Hill a little.[/QUOTE]
You haven't been to Vault 106, have you? That one will flip your shit.

When you get a chance to return to the wasteland, go scope around the Arefu area.

[quote name='Scorch']Is 106 the
blue one? That was very Eternal Darkness-ish
[/QUOTE]
Yeah. For the first few minutes I was convinced I was about to see an
RLOD. At first I thought it was glitchy, but as more of it unravels
...yeah, that was neat.

Just finished the game, VERY abrupt ending, it kind of caught me off guard. I definitely enjoyed the game, and I'll probably make a bad karma character now even though I did a pretty complete runthrough (level 20 character, all major sidequests completed except for the slaver one, all 20 bobbleheads, the only thing I didn't do is the behemoth one because I have no idea where they are).

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']You haven't been to Vault 106, have you? That one will flip your shit.

When you get a chance to return to the wasteland, go scope around the Arefu area.[/quote]

I can still remember the first time I went in there. That, and Dunwich building are probably the scariest parts locations for me.

bread's done
Back